Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you ever been actively playing an MMORPG when its shutdown was announced?

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
edited March 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Let's define "actively playing" a game to mean you had logged on and played at some point in the previous week. I'm also curious as to which game(s) this has happened to you for.

Comments

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Ryzom died several times while I was playing. Vanguard died just that once.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I was playing the free trial for Star Wars Galaxies and was going to sub when the closure was announced.

I was also playing Vanguard on and off (so not actively) when that shutdown was announced. that was the last game I spent Sony Station Cash in. I guess my remaining SC will be left to rot, sadly.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited March 2016

City of Heroes and Vanguard:  Saga of Heroes

I played till the moment of shut down for CoH and had played up till the last month of Vanguard.  Almost forgot about Warhammer Online, played it till the last month as well.

Post edited by Vorthanion on

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    My roommate and I were playing MXO

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Street Gears.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Distopia said:
    My roommate and I were playing MXO
    I actually enjoyed that game. I had a full gaming plate at the time but what time I did play I had fun.
    Same deal here, I thought the game was pretty good, my roommate was always playing so I picked it up and played it when I had a chance, I was usually in SWG though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Warhammer, Matrix, Vanguard , Auto Assault and Dark and Light
  • BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I actively played Chronicles of Spellborn and Warhammer Online.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    As a main every day mmo , no , but dabbling in City of Heroes always , and would still be paying them a sub for me and my kids maybe if it was up.

Stupidest decision NCSoft ever made.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Nope. I've always been unsubscribed to any game well before it was shut down.  Asheron's Call 2 and maybe City of Heroes are the only ones I might miss. And AC 2 is back up and running on maintenance mode.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    edited March 2016
    Tabula Rasa , Hellgate London & Warhammer Online , it was  emotional at last hour 
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    edited March 2016
    I popped into COX now and then, but I wouldn't consider it actively playing. 

EDIT: Thinking about it, I was playing Tabula Rasa.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited March 2016
    Tabula Rasa and Warhammer AoR.

• DarkalloyDarkalloy Member UncommonPosts: 26
    CoX, Vanguard, Warhammer, Tabula Rasa, and a few others of which I cannot recall the names.
  • KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 607
    edited March 2016
    Only game I can think of was Tabula Rasa. As it was the only mmo that was worth half a crap (that I have played) before it shuttered.

Warhammer was "almost" a second one, but I quit a month or so before the announcement. Wasn't a very good game though.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Never did. I've played some of those games before they closed down, but never was active when they announed the shut down. Closest I'd of gotten was Dawngate (which probably wouldn't be considered an MMO to most) though honestly I was very rarely playing it when the shutdown was announced.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Earth and Beyond
    Auto Assault
    Warhammer

I also count SWG post NGE because it detroyed the game for me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Earth Eternal was the game, shut down 2 weeks after I spent about 90 bucks in cash shop special offers which were just desperate attempts to raise funds to keep the lights on.

IP was sold off to an asian developer who released it only overseas with no accommodation for the previous customers.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Earth & Beyond for sure. There's probably a few others that I'm not remembering. 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Yup. Auto Assault (fuck you NCSoft), Dungeon Runners (fuck you NCSoft), Tabula Rasa (fuck you NCSoft), and Earth & Beyond (fuck you EA). Wasn't playing CoX at the time, but was pretty ticked off when they closed it for no reason. 

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate NCSoft?

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Warhammer Online, Vanguard Saga of Heroes, Tabula Rasa are ones that i can think of right away. There are some others but carnt think of them offhand.
    Now thats ones that were on release, there have been a few beta/Alpha/Early Access games too (Early Access games = buy the game and hope) that have ceased that i have bought (which is why i am going off the idea of buying any Early Access game anymore).