Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a game that's fun and long-term.

ScielaSciela Member UncommonPosts: 46
So, I played WoW for 10 years and loved it, then Draenor came out and took away Fistweaving and BM Hunter, which I loved, and I just gave up (are the other classes dumbed down too, or is there still a fun class out there?), and haven't logged in since the 6.0 prepatch. Since then, I haven't really had a game to call home.

I played Wildstar for a few months, but eventually got bored of it, since the combat wasn't really demanding at all (mash 1-3 and dodge telegraphs every 10 seconds, woooo...), tried Blade and Soul and, while it was fun at first, I quickly got tired of it as well. Been playing League since late June, but I'm not really a big fan of MOBAs, and I'm quickly tiring of it as well, as I run out of new champions to play (I don't like doing the same thing over and over). I just don't know where else to go though.

Tried FFXIV, GW2, Mabinogi, Maplestory, TERA, ARK and so many other games... but, even though they're all fun at first, I just get bored really quickly. : /

So does anyone know of a game that's fun? Looking for something like an MMO that'll last longer, but even shorter games (like Ori and the Blind Forest, which I loved) are fine. Just looking for something to do that's fun, for a change.

Thanks. ^^
Hyperpsycrow

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Fun? Trove, but not a great long term game as it's a little repetitive.

Honestly, any game where you can find other people to hang out with. I've said it before and will continue saying it: It's the social aspect of MMO's that keep longevity, regardless of gameplay.
    Ungood
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    if your mainly pvp'er

Look @ www.riseofagon.com

Get an alpha key.. see if it fits you.. ( alpha is free) game is playable
  • ScielaSciela Member UncommonPosts: 46

Honestly, any game where you can find other people to hang out with. I've said it before and will continue saying it: It's the social aspect of MMO's that keep longevity, regardless of gameplay.
    I won't argue against that, games are much more fun with friends, but I never really had friends, in-game or in real life, so I've always been a mostly solo gamer. Still loved WoW for over 10 years, despite never having a guild or a group to play with.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Sciela said:

I won't argue against that, games are much more fun with friends, but I never really had friends, in-game or in real life, so I've always been a mostly solo gamer. Still loved WoW for over 10 years, despite never having a guild or a group to play with.
    I know that feeling man. All too well. I'm recently playing Firefall, can find me as Ryzael there. If you don't mind dropping a few dollars, DFUW has some fun moments and I could use some more people to play with (Just started from scratch after a yearish break.) Malmartyr Thefree. I'll warn you, it is full-loot pvp. But the pve and pvp are pretty fun. PvE has no quests, it's a survival/sandbox/conqueror game. (In about 10 minutes I'm about to get flooded with hate for this comment and suggested to play New Dawn or Rise of Agon, which aren't even released, and not coming out for a long while.)
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    another WoW vet here, pretty much the same style of player as you and am enjoying ESO, only been playing a month though, but I don't for see  growing tired of it anytime soon.

Godz of War I call Thee

edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    Sciela said:

Solitaire sounds like a great fit ;)

Well on a serious side any game that has a lot of solo PvE content might be a good fit.

Heck if you liked WoW for a 10 years try EQ1 - it's what WOW was based on

Rift, Lotro, SWTOR might be worth a shot for you as well 

ESO has quests galore for solo play too

It's not so much solo play, it's just that I never had a steady group of people to play with. I'd go with random people raiding every day (I had almost every class), and was just on my own otherwise, doing whatever. I enjoy group content like raiding, dungeons and the like, but the solo content (questing, lore, fun mini-games (I LOVED Mabinogi's music system, for example, and I loved the jumping puzzles in GW2) etc) has to be good too. :P
    another WoW vet here, pretty much the same style of player as you and am enjoying ESO, only been playing a month though, but I don't for see  growing tired of it anytime soon.
    Eh, I tried ESO during the beta (was invited to one), and I just didn't really enjoy it that much. Has it changed at all?

I don't really like action games or "action-esque" games; I like having a hotbar with 15-20+ abilities, complex mechanics and dynamic rotations, all that. I don't like just left-clicking all day, or spamming 3 buttons, or any of that. Sadly though, that's all anyone has the attention span for anymore. : /
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I recommend Elite Dangerous. It's a first-person sci fi MMORPG. I recommend it for the following reasons:

• It's not just about getting the best spaceship you can to shoot things - you can trade, explore, mine.
    • The long-term development plan is probably the best compared to any other game on the market.
    • All sorts of amazing things are going to be added, including alien races, the ability to walk around on procedurally generated temperate planets, dinosaur hunting, probably oceans - submarines and diving too eventually.
    • It's Oculus Rift compatible.
    • The CEO of the company is David Braben (he's been awarded Commander of the British Empire by the Queen) - he's probably the most expert and reliable developer there is.
    GregorMcgregor
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I'd offer you a suggestion, but you flat out ignored me last time and then started a thread claiming to be 'done' with gaming.

Good luck, man.
    HyperpsycrowMensur

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited March 2016
    Sciela said:
    I don't really like action games or "action-esque" games; I like having a hotbar with 15-20+ abilities, complex mechanics and dynamic rotations, all that. I don't like just left-clicking all day, or spamming 3 buttons, or any of that. Sadly though, that's all anyone has the attention span for anymore. : /
    If those are your requirements, then really I think your only choices are FF14 and SWTOR, maybe Rift.
    I'd offer you a suggestion, but you flat out ignored me last time and then started a thread claiming to be 'done' with gaming.

Good luck, man.
    Wanna know why I ignored it? Because you didn't even read what I was talking about. The game you suggested was just by and far the kind of game I'm sick and tired of: sandboxes (AKA, we're too lazy to actually create a fun and meaningful story/game progression).

Unfortunately though, it's play games I hate, or sleep / stare at a wall all day.

I recommend Elite Dangerous. It's a first-person sci fi MMORPG. I recommend it for the following reasons:

• It's not just about getting the best spaceship you can to shoot things - you can trade, explore, mine.
    • The long-term development plan is probably the best compared to any other game on the market.
    • All sorts of amazing things are going to be added, including alien races, the ability to walk around on procedurally generated temperate planets, dinosaur hunting, probably oceans - submarines and diving too eventually.
    • It's Oculus Rift compatible.
    • The CEO of the company is David Braben (he's been awarded Commander of the British Empire by the Queen) - he's probably the most expert and reliable developer there is.

So, I looked into it, and I don't think I'd really enjoy it all that much. I don't like sims or sandboxes, and that's both. :P I like fantasy over sci-fi, and enjoy games with a control scheme / playstyle similar to WoW, GW2, FFXIV, RIFT, TERA, and all them.

Derros said:
    Sciela said:
    If those are your requirements, then really I think your only choices are FF14 and SWTOR, maybe Rift.

I tried RIFT and FFXIV, and neither really stuck for that long. RIFT just always felt kind of tacky and clunky, and eventually just got stale. FFXIV was made with autistic monkeys in mind, so the 3s GCD and hotbars full of generic damage with no interactions got boring really quickly. : /

Never tried SWTOR, but watching videos of it, it kind of seems iffy.
    edited March 2016
    Sciela said:

Good luck, man.
    Wanna know why I ignored it? Because you didn't even read what I was talking about. The game you suggested was just by and far the kind of game I'm sick and tired of: sandboxes (AKA, we're too lazy to actually create a fun and meaningful story/game progression).

Unfortunately though, it's play games I hate, or sleep / stare at a wall all day.
    Did you actually play it?

I most certainly did read your post; the reason I suggested it was your sentence: "challenge isn't a thing anymore, and no game really requires you to think at all" followed by "a good, engaging story that's actually relevant to the game; with a development staff that actually gives a damn"

Or perhaps it's you that "can't be bothered to lift a finger"?

I think you're not really looking for a game; you're here to vent about your burnout with WoW.  Have a few words with @Kopogero, I'm sure he'd be glad to talk with you.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on
    HyperpsycrowMensur

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Have you tried Gloria Victus. You can get in the game for a one time payment of ten dollars or more. It is open world,partial loot pvp,set in a low fantasy medieval world. there is no magic,no loading screens and no hand holding. Quests are fun and meaningful,based on your reputation with a particular faction,you can get more quests. it has dynamic weather,npcs that go about their daily life as you play,thieves that come out at night time.the game has just about everything. everything is crafted btw also .really fun and you get a lot of game for 10.00
  • szharperszharper Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Have you tried Gloria Victus. You can get in the game for a one time payment of ten dollars or more. It is open world,partial loot pvp,set in a low fantasy medieval world. there is no magic,no loading screens and no hand holding. Quests are fun and meaningful,based on your reputation with a particular faction,you can get more quests. it has dynamic weather,npcs that go about their daily life as you play,thieves that come out at night time.the game has just about everything. everything is crafted btw also .really fun and you get a lot of game for 10.00
     The game is in Alpha and almost no people play it daily.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    OP, I'll be playing Tree of Savior, but for long term....that product currently is not on the market. Best you can do is play new products that unlike the old have still to prove/show they are long term material.

• noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    szharper said: So are you saying because the game is in Alpha,it's not good? Plus for Alpha there is plenty of people playing. It's better than going from quest hub to quest hub,just to get to endgame to run dungeons and raids all the time

Sciela said:

Good luck, man.

I most certainly did read your post; the reason I suggested it was your sentence: "challenge isn't a thing anymore, and no game really requires you to think at all" followed by "a good, engaging story that's actually relevant to the game; with a development staff that actually gives a damn"

I think you're not really looking for a game; you're here to vent about your burnout with WoW.  Have a few words with @Kopogero, I'm sure he'd be glad to talk with you.
    No, I haven't played it. I don't like sims, I don't like sandbox (like, full sandbox; a partial sandbox with some theme park mixed in is fine), and I don't like "twitch" games that trade away complexity for dodge rolls (or, in this case, barrel rolls). And, what a lot of people call challenging, I call pathetically easy. You heard of Wildstar? People said that game was so hard and all that... well, Avatus (the final raid boss) made WoW raids look like they were super hard (and people say they're really easy). So, "hard" is subjective.

And yeah, I miss WoW. So what? I want to find a new game to fill the hole I've had for more than a year and a half now, and I want an MMO that I actually enjoy. All I've been doing lately though is game hopping and playing League (which I can't stand, by the way). So, yeah, it'd be nice to enjoy myself again.
    I donno if that's really my kind of game. : / While PvP is fun, I like having a bit more to do, especially raiding and dungeons and whatnot. Plus, I love magic and brighter atmospheres -- this game seems super dark, and lacks magic. D:

Plus, I don't really like the whole "Hey, left-click to victory!" combat style (action games). : /

Kopogero said:
    OP, I'll be playing Tree of Savior, but for long term....that product currently is not on the market. Best you can do is play new products that unlike the old have still to prove/show they are long term material.
    This'll be a game I'll need to keep my eye on. :P Looks like an anime version of Diablo almost, and I know I spent a loooooong time playing Diablo when I was younger. xD

Yeah, I've just been game-hopping lately, but nothing really sticks. GW2 was fun for a while, but I ran out of content; TERA was fun at first, but quickly got boring (too spammy); BnS was fun at first, but had TERA syndrome; FFXIV, while awesomely nostalgic, was just boring. 3s GCD and generic damage on all your abilities, eh; Wildstar, while it was super close to what I wanted in a game, went and ruined it with "action" combat that basically takes away any kind of challenge in favor of dodge rolls and not targeting things. The hardest raid in the game was "Spam 1-4, dodge a telegraph every now and then, and repeat"...

I donno. Just kind of losing hope in it all. : /

szharper said: So are you saying because the game is in Alpha,it's not good? Plus for Alpha there is plenty of people playing. It's better than going from quest hub to quest hub,just to get to endgame to run dungeons and raids all the time

You know, I actually love raiding and dungeons, along with battlegrounds and lore / questing / exploring. I also love more platform-y things like jumping puzzles (GW2), crafting mini games (Mabinogi), and so on.
    Sciela said:
    Sciela said:

Good luck, man.

No, I haven't played it. I don't like sims, I don't like sandbox (like, full sandbox; a partial sandbox with some theme park mixed in is fine), and I don't like "twitch" games that trade away complexity for dodge rolls (or, in this case, barrel rolls). And, what a lot of people call challenging, I call pathetically easy. You heard of Wildstar? People said that game was so hard and all that... well, Avatus (the final raid boss) made WoW raids look like they were super hard (and people say they're really easy). So, "hard" is subjective.

And yeah, I miss WoW. So what? I want to find a new game to fill the hole I've had for more than a year and a half now, and I want an MMO that I actually enjoy. All I've been doing lately though is game hopping and playing League (which I can't stand, by the way). So, yeah, it'd be nice to enjoy myself again.
    a) Doesn't play game

b) Thinks he has combat / world figured out

Dodge rolling is about one of the worst rookie mistakes you can make in PvP.  It works some of the time in PvE, but in my experience it's a very bad habit to develop.  Try it against anyone who has some level of competency in combat and you'll see why.  Forgive the analogy, but this is like the Jujutsu yellow-belt who thinks he's learned a cool trick that 'always works' and can't wait to use it against sensei, or a beginner Chess player that memorizes one opening.  Unpredictability is key (among other things), and if you fall in to any sort of dodge pattern you've given your opponent a very good predictor of where you are going to be.  Some opponents also use a spray-pattern which can negate a roll's usefulness due to the randomness of the attack, and the tactic just will not work against large numbers of opponents.

If you play three or four days every week, you may have combat mastered in four years; it's simple on the surface, but deeply complex the further along you go.

I would categorize the world very much as a "partial sandbox with some theme park mixed in".

...apparently, though, you've decided that not actually playing a game is enough to pass judgement based on Lord knows what.

I too played WoW, FWIW.  The transition is actually not a bad one to make, as their commercial releases were literally within the same month.  I don't recommend this game to just anyone (although at one point I might have).  But there were several things in your original post on this site that made me think it might be a good fit for you.

Take it or leave it... I don't have time to try and convince someone that writes about games without playing them.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You may want to try The Secret World. 
    Hyperpsycrow

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The hard thing about this site is when you ask for game recommendations yo uwill get alot that want you to pay up front....You will try games like Secret World then be pissed that yo uwasted your money on a bad game...Just listen to the ones that are offering free to play or at least a free trial.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I'm in a similar boat. Looking for a game to settle with long term. I don't mind if it's old, or new or I've played it. Seriously thinking about EQ and Istaria again. I keep trying EQ2. I like the flight, really like the housing but something about the game kinda falls flat for me. EQ I like the long term, love the thousands of AA, don't like classes, but I'll roll with a monk and bard for variety. Istaria, very slow, a bit dull, great housing and a couple dozen classes to multiclass.

Any other suggestions (sorry not interested in Eve, don't really like space games). Also I go off/on with swtor, but doesn't seem very long term to me.
    Hyperpsycrow
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Black Desert is the only game that matters
    Hyperpsycrow
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The hard thing about this site is when you ask for game recommendations yo uwill get alot that want you to pay up front....You will try games like Secret World then be pissed that yo uwasted your money on a bad game...Just listen to the ones that are offering free to play or at least a free trial.
    Whatever you do, never follow advice like this, you'll likely miss out on some great games.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Recore said:
    Black Desert is the only game that matters
    After EVE, sure, but then its not just a "game" and I don't recommend it to the OP, definitely not for him.
    Hyperpsycrow

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Your love for WoW only hurts your search for a long lasting game. The themeparks today are designed to be consumed in a month or two while browsing the cash shop. It seems the more long lasting the design is, the less AAA it becomes. A sad trend you'd think would be vice versa.