Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A sandbox...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
How long has it been since there has been an AAA+ sandbox MMO released?  Which also pulls huge PvE crowds

and while i agree that the game could have been sandboxyer, so much i like the freedom of choice the game allows..

in my opinion the game competes for several titles...

- Best MMO combat
- best looking open world MMO
- best annimations in MMO
- most new innovative systems in an MMO since vanguard
- best fantasy samdbox since EQ
- best PvP combat

and what else?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Hybrid sure, sandbox nope. Combat to me is one of the worst I ve ever played. Animations is a freak light show on a lot of occasions. PvP combat goes hand in hand with what I feel is terrible combat.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Soki123 said:
    Hybrid sure, sandbox nope. Combat to me is one of the worst I ve ever played. Animations is a freak light show on a lot of occasions. PvP combat goes hand in hand with what I feel is terrible combat.
    You're expressing your personal taste, not a critique. I abhor Avengers movies but it would be silly of me to say it has the worst special effect ever. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Soki123 said:
    You're expressing your personal taste, not a critique. I abhor Avengers movies but it would be silly of me to say it has the worst special effect ever. 

As is the OP, point is?
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's a Sandpark mmo, combination of themepark and sandbox.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I agree OP, this game is just what MMOs needed to move the genre forward. As much of a traditionalist as I am, ( I appreciate most themepark games), this is the first game I have played since Archeage alpha that has made me get up early in the morning to get right into it.

The limitations on a sandbox are adjusting for the imperfect world we live in, in order to keep the game fair and keep botting/gold-selling to a minimum.

Everytime I asked myself "Why did they do it this way? or why isn't this included?" I end up realizing a couple days later and it just seems they really thought this game out. I honestly expected not to like BDO, because I thought it was just a grindbox. But so far, grinding is only about 30-40% of my time spent playing. 

I do still think I like Blade and Soul's combat for PvP better, but BDO's combat is the best for PvE, never get tired of it.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Black Desert has, hands down, the worst combat I've ever experienced in an MMO. Come to think of it, maybe in a video game ever. I don't think it is at risk of ever winning an award in that area.

Sure is pretty tho.

• ZukapeZukape Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Definetly it is not a sandbox.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited March 2016
    Black Desert is exactly what a sandbox game should be. The game is so good there really is nothing that can be said about it. I am amazed at how they did it. What games did these people work on before? How did they just get it so right? 

My only complaints are I wish every class had a male / female counterpart like Valk / Warrior and Wizard / Witch. Also I wish the game had full collision detection like TERA. 
    Best combat of any mmo ever made.

Cant wait to see sales numbers!
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Forgrimm said:
    Something many here have been waiting for since a long time.

/agree

• DelvieDelvie Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Labels are hard to pin down - hardcore/casual, sandbox/themepark, etc.

For me the beauty of BDO is flat out how many choices I'm given to play for the day.  In the end that's content - and content is king for any great game.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Delvie said:

For me the beauty of BDO is flat out how many choices I'm given to play for the day.  In the end that's content - and content is king for any great game.
    Sorry, but if there's no instanced dungeon/raid boss to farm for phat lewt, it's not content.

(/sarcasm)

So aoe grinding at 50 is content?

I am still trying to understand why people play a game where you aoe grind easy mobs at 50 for the sake of aoe grinding.

There is no pvp because of the harsh karma penalties.

There is no pve because killing mobs is brain dead easy.

/No sarcasm :) 

• tiglietiglie Member UncommonPosts: 43
    This game follows the witcher mentality.  Praise it as best game ever because you can spam 1 button in the general direction of red names and win....but i look like  a ninja.   I agree with many others when this game easily has some of the worst thoughtless combat I have ever experienced.  And the "sandbox" experience you speak of is non existant.  The entire content outside of grinding is half finished and pointless.  You can either craft shit that has zero economy because of lack of player trading, interact with amity system which is pointless because they never expanded on it, or buy something from this npc and sell it to that npc with absolutely zero risk except for the time spent walking.  How is this sandbox gameplay?  Just because something doesn't have quest to progress experience does not mean it's a sandbox.  
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    It's got great looking characters.

It's not really a sandbox game, there are sandbox features sure, but overall it's still on rail systems - classes, levels, linear progression of gear and mobs etc...

Animations are good, best? Not for me.

Combat again it's decent for PvE, BnS has better combat for PvP however. 

Best looking open world - Bless is far better looking imo. ArcheAge is the most immersive for me because of open world housing, open trade and open ocean and underwater exploration - even though it's not the best looking. Also no invisible walls and you can glide to high mountain peaks. The ridges in BD are not passable, you cant climb on top of them. 

Still wait til you play Bless - the world owns.

Most innovative systems? Like what exactly?

I understand that OP is just pure opinion but a bit elaboration on why would be nice 
    You make some good points , But AA has plenty of its share of enviromental walls...

And you forgot all ! ,? _______________________>>>>>>> this way dumb dumb and .......................................!PARKING!             not sandboxy
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    edited March 2016
    I'm still trying to understand why some people think AOE grinding is the only possible activity in BDO.

Or maybe you should try stop listening to the bullshit the usual suspects post here and get more reliable sources of information, like people who actually PLAY the game and don't just bash it on the forums.

By the way, people have been playing EQ, a game where the whole gameplay was about grouping to grind easy mobs from level 1 to max level, and then grind some more along with some dungeons and raids. Are you understanding that?

Because no other activity reaps the same kind of gains as grinding. Best (only, basically) source of character level exp, grind. Best source of cash, grind.

Crafting/Gathering - automated workers. Your personal time is better left to grinding.
    Trading - Not worth the time. You can gain faster cash grinding and can level trading easily while sleeping by fishing. (Edit: or by selling special trading mob drops gained by grinding! Which, by the way outshine the value of any trade packs you would normally start with trading.)
    Dialog Game - Overall not needed. You could easily skip all of it.

EQ was not a easy mob grind from 1 to max. If you did it that I feel sorry for you. There was a reason people grouped and needed CC.

And yes, I am playing the game. I've been playing for several hours daily since release and I'm having fun. I'm just not blind to what the game actually is, a mob grinder.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Soki123 said:
    Soki123 said:

As is the OP, point is?
    If you mean why I haven't said the same thing to op about combat because it's not his personal taste but a common praise BDO is getting from hundreds of critics. Avengers example had made my point clear not sure what was vague about it. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Delvie said:

Sorry, but if there's no instanced dungeon/raid boss to farm for phat lewt, it's not content.

(/sarcasm)

I am still trying to understand why people play a game where you aoe grind easy mobs at 50 for the sake of aoe grinding.

I'm still trying to understand why some people think AOE grinding is the only possible activity in BDO.

Or maybe you should try stop listening to the bullshit the usual suspects post here and get more reliable sources of information, like people who actually PLAY the game and don't just bash it on the forums.

By the way, people have been playing EQ, a game where the whole gameplay was about grouping to grind easy mobs from level 1 to max level, and then grind some more along with some dungeons and raids. Are you understanding that?

You have NEVER played Everquest.

Or you would never in a million years say grinding mobs was easy in Everquest.

Please do not comment on stuff you have absolutely no knowledge about.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    Black Desert Online is amazing theme park that will end quick for those who have nothing better to play. It's why they choose to go with the B2P model. I do hope though they received enough revenue to start pumping endgame content which is essential for their PvE focused endgame. The PvP is meh at best. Beside mass zergs I don't see what else it has to offer.

Late 2016 will be a good time if this game will grow and become better or diminish.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Kopogero said:
    Black Desert Online is amazing theme park that will end quick for those who have nothing better to play. It's why they choose to go with the B2P model. I do hope though they received enough revenue to start pumping endgame content which is essential for their PvE focused endgame. The PvP is meh at best. Beside mass zergs I don't see what else it has to offer.

Late 2016 will be a good time if this game will grow and become better or diminish.
    Explain to me how BDO is a themepark.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    Aori said:
    The only MMO I have ever associated difficulty with grinding was FFXI in its earlier days, that shit wasn't easy but it was damn fun.

I like grinding though, I love finding the most efficient ways to slaughter stuff. I hate instanced content, it doesn't belong in an MMO, defeats the entire purpose IMO.
    +1 On the monster grinding part, it's nice to play a mmo where I can invite my friends to a party and we can *gasp* actually level together. Other theme parks have their instanced dungeons but they quickly get repetitive to me along with usually not giving away much experience as solo questing.

Oddly enough I have been focusing on doing a lot of crafting and gathering activities since they actually have a lot more purpose in this game. Questing is generic yes but where this game mixes things up by using quests to introduce you to the many activities/life skills and systems of the game. Throw in a few mini games like minking a cow/moving wheelbarrow's and the worthwhile reward at the end and it's good enough for me.

Knowing that each quest is one step closer to that next point of contribution is awarding in itself because whether you do a level 5 or 45 quest it's a currency you will use as long as you play the game, making each quest that much more intactful. Taking with Npc's and gaining knowledge of monsters/history and the region is also priceless due to it giving energy. I found myself actually reading dialogue and looking into the history that each town has.
  • Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    edited March 2016
    I agree with the OP to an extent but I can somewhat agree with the not so convinced players. Saying this game is a breath of fresh air in a stagnant genre isn't a stretch, saying it's the best MMO of all time is. After getting burned so badly by Trion and XL games with AA It's nice to see a publisher with so much control along with with how active and supportive the mods on the forums are to posters criticisms and concerns. 

While this game has some generic tropes of what I'very grown tired of, it employs the choose your activity and way of playing very effectively. I feel there is a lot of room for improvement such as monster AI and player trade systems. While I find myself the more pvp centric player the games Npc and node/crafting system so well interlaced I have totally put grinding to the wayside. Focusing on plotting routes and nodes and finding out what market I want to corner while leveling all my life skills to increase efficiency and I'm just engrossed in all of it.

As far as pay to win it's nice that I don't feel like between CBT and launch that I was duped like it was in AA. I just hope things continue with the cash shop and post launch unlike AA where they were incompetent and unwilling to listen, going the making as much money in the first 3 months before the playerbase drops off in disgust route.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Forgrimm said:
    Something many here have been waiting for since a long time.
    Eh, Archeage has been scratching that itch for me for the last 1 and a half years. It is nice to have another similar game to choose from though.
  • Miffi89Miffi89 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Delvie said:

(/sarcasm)

There is no pvp because of the harsh karma penalties.

There is no pve because killing mobs is brain dead easy.

/No sarcasm :) 

Join a guild, theres always PvP then.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Its ofcause personal taste, but compared to ArcheAge, BDO is just lol.
    A sandbox game does not entertain you, it gives you the elements, to do your own entertainment.
    You need to get the fun out of this type of games, there is no "delivery".

I can not compare the titles, i played max 60min BDO before i went apeshit and uninstalled it.
    Not my turf ...

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    It is pretty darn sandboxy.  Plenty of people aren't even worried about quests or leveling up.  They're working on crafting, fishing, trading, horse-breeding, stuff like that.  Most games don't give you systems like that to work with.
  • carvalho677carvalho677 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    totally agree with op, the game offers so much content... when people say that the game is pvp focus it either makes me thing they grinded to 50 and ignored all the content there was or they never even touched the game... typical :/