Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game looks way too amateurish next to EQ.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
After watching the stream, I think this game is not going anywhere. After years of development, it still looks like something made by a few beginners. The voices in the stream sounded like kids.

EQ uses professional animators, professional game developers and an in-house dedicated engine, and it shows.

There is no way this game will take off with these kind of awful graphics and animation.

If I compare it to EQ, this game looks incredibly amateurish.

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Why would animations have anything to do with it being better than EQ? People who played EQ don't give a rats boner about graphics and since that's their target market they should probably focus on other things to make the game successful. Like DMKano said though I'm sure they haven't gotten around to polishing and what not since its still very early. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Key difference: EQ is basically running on empty. Pantheon is about to start.  

And yes pre-alpha. I have also seen worse betas and e.g. GW1's pre-alpha was very limited. And pretty sure that the characters will have more detailed costumes etc. etc. that the terrain will have textures etc. Will it be good enough? Remains to be seen. Way to early to write it off though. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited March 2016
    The world is great and current models are fine for testing the game. Sure, they could blow their money creating art assets for a fresh UI, higher res models, armors, animation, sounds and effects, and the game wouldn't even be recognizable, but then they'd have what every other AAA game has: a cool fantasy screenshot generator and not a lot else.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    After watching the stream, I think this game is not going anywhere. After years of development, it still looks like something made by a few beginners. The voices in the stream sounded like kids.

EQ uses professional animators, professional game developers and an in-house dedicated engine, and it shows.

There is no way this game will take off with these kind of awful graphics and animation.

I agree with some of what you said. However, to be fair your video setting are on low. If you put twitch on high it did look much better. Not AAA better but much better then what your showing here. 
  • JackCracker411JackCracker411 Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Talking smack about an indie game's pre-alpha graphics is like schooling a child in a game of 1 on 1 basketball and then gloating.  smh @ op  
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can't agree at all.

Brad has  already shown Vanguard and an identical engine if not completely identical as EQ2 so i would expect nothing short of that which would vault it immediately over most games out there except of course BDO and FFXIV.When comes to graphics MOST people seem to look ONLY at textures and a player model.Well i have news for people NO GAME in the mmorpg field has great player models,they are all low poly.One area of graphics i always like to mention is the buildings in a game,2D structures with no insides is NOT good graphics,anyone can pull that off easily and gets no approval from me.

I do see two models that look identical the Archai and Skar but every single game i have seen is doing this and worse as some games actually only have 1-2 models but most gamer's wouldn't know it.

Looking over the long list of game ideas it also sounds really good,better than EQ imo.
    I also find people don't look at games as in depth as i do,they sort of blindly skim over them.

Now Pantheon of course is a small budget team,but imo won't be tough to pull off once again a VG type game.I feel the graphics look solid better than Crowfall but of course not as good as BDO or FFXIV.

weather,grouping  "two thumbs up",dual targets,situational gear "FFXI idea" two thumbs up",class roles again two thumbs up as i hate games that remove the role in a role playing game.
    colored mana is an interesting idea i just hope it doesn't end up like project Gorgon in that it basically locks your combat in a very limited way.
    Now there have been systems i wish Brad would change from EQ/EQ2 and one very true to my heart is AGGRO systems.I am so spoiled by the depth that FFXI created that i expect it in other games.Multiple aggro systems instead of what i see in every single game which is proximity.Another area is the multiple mobs tied to same AI really bothers me and i see it in almost every single game out there,except FFXI.

Here is the biggie for me,like REAL BIG,questing is optional .......YAY !!! three thumbs up.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    OP is right if the game launches how it is now, it will turn a ton of people off with the animations. Graphics honestly I did not think were horrible. Not BDO/FFXIV good but more then passable.

We cannot expect genre breaking graphics and animations on a game without a 150+ million dollar budget. But personally I would rather have a game with less graphics and more dept then a shinny linear shallow pieces of crap the AAA devs been churning out as of late.

This is not me white knighting Pantheon, I agree it has a ways to go. But people need to stop thinking alpha/beta or this is case a development pre-alpha build is the game at launch.

WoW, EQ, GW, FFXIV all look significantly worse in early stages then in launch. Honestly in worse ways then this game did today. Anyone who has tested games in very very early states can attest to this.

I mean look how EQ looked in Pre-alpha. This does not look much like the game you have in your post op... I mean pre-alpha = launch right? Obviously not. Pantheon might end up being crap, but what we seen today shows alot of promiss, have to see where Brad and everyone takes the game at the end.

Enjoy the Pre-alpha footage of EQ and tell me pre-alpha's = launch.

AS for them seeming like kids in the stream... They sound more like people having fun in the game to me. Sounds more like a group on my vent from back in the early days.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I never played EQ and glad I never played it after hearing about it so I'm in no way a fan of the franchise.  I did watch the live stream of Pantheon , at least for a little bit, and for a pre-alpha the game seems about what one would expect.  More than once I heard the animations were not finished and the graphics you saw are not the final product.  As for the developers and Brad playing, it sounded like a bunch of gamers having fun and showing off their game.  I don't expect gamers to sound like English professors delivering grammatically correct sentences.  It actually seemed like they knew how to play the game and were having fun even though they were doing a lot of dying. 

My big problem with Pantheon is the philosophy behind the game.  This is a group oriented MMO that hopes to bring back the lost MMO feeling Vets of EQ miss.  Well, I usually prefer playing solo because finding groups is just too much of a problem and as I get older I dislike dealing with rude and obnoxious people in games less and less.  Maybe it is just me but I prefer being alone for the most part.  Also, in these group games you can expect the first few months to easily group for almost anything you want.  As the playerbase advances it will be harder for newer players to get groups for lower level areas.  Ive seen this in so many games. 

Brad did mention there will be solo things for you to do and did mention a few but didn't elaborate much. Perhaps there will be lots to do.  I don't know.  Early days.  Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

This is not a game made by hundreds of people either so I don't expect anything jaw dropping.  If you are holding out for a next generation type of game you will be sorely disappointed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2016
    flizzer said:
    I never played EQ and glad I never played it after hearing about it so I'm in no way a fan of the franchise.  I did watch the live stream of Pantheon , at least for a little bit, and for a pre-alpha the game seems about what one would expect.  More than once I heard the animations were not finished and the graphics you saw are not the final product.  As for the developers and Brad playing, it sounded like a bunch of gamers having fun and showing off their game.  I don't expect gamers to sound like English professors delivering grammatically correct sentences.  It actually seemed like they knew how to play the game and were having fun even though they were doing a lot of dying. 

My big problem with Pantheon is the philosophy behind the game.  This is a group oriented MMO that hopes to bring back the lost MMO feeling Vets of EQ miss.  Well, I usually prefer playing solo because finding groups is just too much of a problem and as I get older I dislike dealing with rude and obnoxious people in games less and less.  Maybe it is just me but I prefer being alone for the most part.  Also, in these group games you can expect the first few months to easily group for almost anything you want.  As the playerbase advances it will be harder for newer players to get groups for lower level areas.  Ive seen this in so many games. 

Brad did mention there will be solo things for you to do and did mention a few but didn't elaborate much. Perhaps there will be lots to do.  I don't know.  Early days.  Maybe I'll be proved wrong.

This is not a game made by hundreds of people either so I don't expect anything jaw dropping.  If you are holding out for a next generation type of game you will be sorely disappointed.
    The people acting rude and obnoxious will not last in a game that is so heavily based around group play. They will either like the game, and learn to be decent to others, or they will leave. They will leave because they won't get much done in a game like this if they can't find a group, and it won't take long for people to refuse to group with those who are unpleasant to play with.

Pantheon is an MMO for adults. I believe you can expect to find people acting more like adults.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited March 2016
    lol , still on alpha , but who cares about that , the gameplay of groups looks awesome , and coming back to the roots of what made mmorpgs awesome in the 1 place.... SOLID TEAMWORK , ppl say that this is a negative , but come on, arent we all tired of this solo mmorpgs already? we need some mmorpg to shake the genre and say hey remember when......

however old mmorpgs arent far from perfect , corpse runs for example , ppl that like the old system are "in their 30+ age" now , and probably dont have the time that we had back then ....so i hope the devs notice that. If im only able to play 2h i dont want 1h wasted on running back to my dead body just because i dced in the middle of the dungeon
  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    You're absolutely crazy...

THIS IS PRE-PRE-ALPHA! Are you serious? Lol

This game look AMAZING! For something that's so far from being even considered a beta.....

Watching the presentation gives me hope that were gonna get a oldschool MMO again and i'll have new memories to have.
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris said:

Kiyoris I understand your concern and comments. But they said in the trailer you comment they have prioritized gameplay and not on graphic or animations. See the gameplay once more and check time 33:35-34:20. They will prioritize animations and graphics later when gameplay is in place. :)
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I guess the OP didn't even see the blue glowing haze they had to overcome, or the unique mana boost you get in this game depending on your zone, or different weapons needed for different types of mobs.

" but hay, the graphics are not like the cheap cash shop Asian games I play "

Kids ! 

I still get a chuckle every time I see the "updated" EQ models that look like they have a stick up their butt. So bad, rofl.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited March 2016
    reposting because it fits:

Looks really great for the state of development they are in which is pre-pre-alpha! Most people have never seen a game in this stage of development. Remember  art, animations, sounds, UI, and pretty much everything else are a work in progress. Unlike the development you may have seen in the past  - this is an honest, unhyped presentation. For comparison, here is what WoW looked like early on in development: http://kotaku.com/very-early-screenshots-of-world-of-warcraft-1711350152   I liked the team's chemistry. IMHO this is really a promising beginning and shows the team has put a lot of work into the product.

http://kotaku.com/very-early-screenshots-of-world-of-warcraft-1711350152

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:
    Pre alpha.
    Has certainly come a long way since I tested Stargate online pre-alpha years and years ago.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Judging a pre alpha for its graphics and animations is like expecting a dashing look from a fetus on a sonogram picture. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    The game just looked bad and I am not talking just about the graphics. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Recore said:
    The game just looked bad and I am not talking just about the graphics. 

It looked like an MMORPG, which is neither bad or good to me, well more precisely it looked like organized play in an MMORPG. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98
    If EQ or AC had graphics this "amateurish", that's what I would be playing.

Yes, the Animations need work, but this is exactly what I'd expect from pre-pre Alpha placeholders.

On a side note: if I ever win the Powerball and start up my own MMO, Animations will be a primary focus, but thats because I've always felt that great Animations are what makes a world "breathe". Graphics are skin deep (important sure) but Animations are what gives it personality.

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    It is sort of what I would expect from a game with a low budget and built on the Unity engine. It is an indie game, not a mass budget title.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited March 2016
    Game is in Pre-Alpha first of all I mean come on... Things will change with time but I'm guessing if you don't like what you see now you might as well move on...

Brad has stated many times this game would be in the vein of old eq and from watching the video that's what I get from it and it seems others share my opinion........ It's basically a reskinned eq, as for the animations and such I can't imagine the game is gonna come out with what were seeing now... I mean the orc practically just fell to the ground when killed actually most of the mobs did.....

This video actually made me go pledge to them, so guess different strokes and all....
    Post edited by nationalcity on
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited March 2016
    Kiyoris said:

You DO realize this is a pre-alpha build right?

As far as the voices in the stream sounding like kids "welcome to video games" apparently there is an exuberant youth that permeates some of the players. It is what it is.

Once the game is actually released then you should make a decision.

I'm really surprised that none of this is apparent to you.

edit: nice find by Xatsh you should watch it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I could not care any less about animations and graphics honestly.

What got me about the stream was quite simple:

Not even 1 minute in and i ALREADY had the whole EQ feeling and had to rub some tears out of my eyes. I did not even PLAY it myself and it STILL managed to give me more old school EQ feeling then any MMO in the past 12+ years ever did.

Not even 1 minute and i was sure: This is going to be the real modern EQ. And that is all i ever wanted. I don't want new mechanics. I want a modernized EQ without many changes. Just some tweaks to graphics, UI, playability. And it looks like we will get exactly that.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?