Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Big Lessons The Division Can Teach RPGs - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

let me ask it this way

'what 'lesson' is The Division teaching us about Elves that Fallout 4 hasnt already 'taught' us'?
    That such a setting can work (be successful) without a big nostalgic name tied to it like Fallout? As for the game itself and any lessons it teaches I couldn't say, I haven't played it nor have much interest in it. I can say there are few RPG's using such a setting sight unseen though.
    lol ok whatever....sounds pretty lame
    Alrighty then...
    just make the box as small as humanly possible and hope nobody notices.
    Thing is..it likely could very well work.
     again the power of marketing:
    'oh thank god that FINALLY a game 'The Division' has shown us we can have an RPG.. i mean successfully RPG...i mean a successful RPG that is not Fallout...without elves. oh praise him!
    I think you care a little too much about this... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

let me ask it this way

'what 'lesson' is The Division teaching us about Elves that Fallout 4 hasnt already 'taught' us'?
    That such a setting can work (be successful) without a big nostalgic name tied to it like Fallout? As for the game itself and any lessons it teaches I couldn't say, I haven't played it nor have much interest in it. I can say there are few RPG's using such a setting sight unseen though.
    lol ok whatever....sounds pretty lame
    Alrighty then...
    just make the box as small as humanly possible and hope nobody notices.
    Thing is..it likely could very well work.
     again the power of marketing:
    'oh thank god that FINALLY a game 'The Division' has shown us we can have an RPG.. i mean successfully RPG...i mean a successful RPG that is not Fallout...without elves. oh praise him!
    I think you care a little too much about this... 
    'like a fly to sh*t' is a very accurate way to put it

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So, learn from The Division... not The Secret World which actually did an MMORPG in a modern setting. Check. 

I give TSW and FUncom crap all the time for ruining and destroying good things, but give them credit where it's due. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So, learn from The Division... not The Secret World which actually did an MMORPG in a modern setting. Check. 

I give TSW and FUncom crap all the time for ruining and destroying good things, but give them credit where it's due. 
    right..so its like this

'The Division teachs us that an RPG...I mean a successful RPG...I mean a successful RPG that isnt Fallout..I mean a successful RPG that starts with the word 'The' and is a Tom Clancy title....can do it without Elves'

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

here is the thing funcom is not paying this review/article. forget fallen earth, forget TSW, forget any otehr game who have a setting without the old fantasy esque (I myself like the mix of fantasy with scifi), the important thing now is say what i'm being paid for lol

btw i'm the only one who when see this paid reviews/articles lose all wish to play it? its already a ubisoft game, plus tehy wish to feed teh hype is pretty tiresome.
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Viper482 said:

"It’s time to move past elves and space marines"

Well that's like....your opinion man. I still love the beauty of a good fantasy setting. Black Desert, The Witcher 3 based in New York City? No thanks. Because I can hop on a plane and go there any time I like. Fantasy is just that, fantasy. You may find it boring, but it is popular for a reason. Keep your ugly city, I will take my elves.

Just like that's your opinion too. Opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one. I love the division. now I can play my advanced version or Parasite Eve! lol

You got ten bonuspoints for mentioning parasite eve. When I read this part of the article, but also when i started to read that the division was going to be an rpg, parasite eve was the first thing that came to my mind. It may not be the only modern day era rpg, but it's the only one i played and remember. I've always wondered why other game companies never tried to emulate its succes. Surely if there are thousands of fantasy rpg's and hundreds of sci fi rpg's, Creating the worlds second modern day rpg should be a great way to stand out in a crowd.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    i like more western style fantasy mmos. shooters mmos have that awfull cod and counter strike community. i hate asian style mmos, its looks cheap and dull.

WoW "was" best mmo becouse fantasy and non-asian style char/world.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Shana77 said:

Viper482 said:

"It’s time to move past elves and space marines"

Well that's like....your opinion man. I still love the beauty of a good fantasy setting. Black Desert, The Witcher 3 based in New York City? No thanks. Because I can hop on a plane and go there any time I like. Fantasy is just that, fantasy. You may find it boring, but it is popular for a reason. Keep your ugly city, I will take my elves.

Just like that's your opinion too. Opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one. I love the division. now I can play my advanced version or Parasite Eve! lol

You got ten bonuspoints for mentioning parasite eve. When I read this part of the article, but also when i started to read that the division was going to be an rpg, parasite eve was the first thing that came to my mind. It may not be the only modern day era rpg, but it's the only one i played and remember. I've always wondered why other game companies never tried to emulate its succes. Surely if there are thousands of fantasy rpg's and hundreds of sci fi rpg's, Creating the worlds second modern day rpg should be a great way to stand out in a crowd.
    YES, parasite eve was an awesome game, although that was turn based.  Still an awesome game. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    YES, parasite eve was an awesome game, although that was turn based.  Still an awesome game. 
    Loved the game at the time, but I kept wanting to shout "Mitochondria doesnt work that way!"
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

TSW is still by far awesome! -and credit is due to them for sure!

the division is....meh
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Wait for players to start hitting endgame in a few days.

Oh wait, there is no endgame.

The reviews will go downhill from there.

Did you actually have this as a thought? or are you trying to troll? this isn't a MMO. endgame would mostly be the darkzone pvp but I do wonder what happens after the story is over.

Did you actually have this as a thought? or are you trying to troll? this isn't a MMO. endgame would mostly be the darkzone pvp but I do wonder what happens after the story is over.

ubisoft has described their game 'like an MMO' and multiple major gaming sites has described the game as a 'hybrid MMO' and then later just flat out called it an MMO

It actually does have an endgame, and a really challenging one at that.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    As Jerry Seinfeld once said. If I want reality I will take the TV out of the box and stare through the frame. I have zero interest in modern settings and while I appreciate that you enjoy it, I would dare say you are in the minority. Many people play MMOs to escape things that remind them of reality. I will also go out on a limb with my own opinion here and say that The Division is going to be occupied by people that enjoy shooters and less so by people that enjoy immersion and roleplay.
  • SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I just browsed through but saw mention of Darkfall. People didn't hate DF because it was full loot and punishing (Division isn't even full loot so why would they be compared and 2/3rd of it is a safe zone), it was because it was grindy and was still using slash commands in the late 2000's. So a terrible time sink (including other things like traveling and putting together various stuff to fight) with a terrible interface.

Losing isn't a big deal when you only lose up to 8 pieces of random loot that you HAVE to extract within 10 mins of gaming.

DF vet rant over.

Anyway how can it not be called a RPG? Are people only considering RPG as either slow combat or stuff with roll chances. Borderlands (haven't played destiny) and Division have lootable gear with health, damage and defense stats, skill trees, a story. What else is needed to be considered a RPG.

I hardly care about the space marine or elf thing. What I do care about is a human enemy gets repetitive to fight pve wise. I would buy this game if some form of mutants or zombies appeared. Maybe they will prove me wrong and a player will make a video showing some cool looking fight or mechanics that are possible with nothing but reality based humans.
  • DioxJDioxJ Member UncommonPosts: 1
    If I wanted a modern no amount of fantasy setting in my games I wouldn't play games. That's why I dont play games like CoD or Battlefield or something like that. Opinions right? By the looks of it there are a lot of people who feel the same. The Division doesn't attract RPG fans so much as it attracts CoD fans. I played about 5 or so hours of the Division because my friend asked me to play with him but gave up on it because it is boring. Sparsely done RPG mechanics don't cover up the boring setting and the dullness of shooting normal humans over and over. Of course, that's just like my opinion man.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Elves don't stand in line to use a laptop.
    Torval said:
    The Parasite Eve references are awesome (extra credits for the video), but this game doesn't give me that vibe at all.
    No, as they were very different games.  I guess in that instance parasite eve was closer to TSW, yet... TSW, aside from the world being somewhat interesting, didn't have exceptional gameplay. 

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Just throwing this out there: I still like fantasy and sci-fi :-) I just wish there were more good RPGs that used other settings.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    1. There are many RPGs that have nothing to do with Elves and space marines.
    2. Muliplayer has nothing to do with RPG
    3. MMOs != RPG
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Is there a reason we cant have both?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sovrath said:

ugh ...

It’s time to move past elves and space marines

Look, it’s getting tired. What I find refreshing about The Division (apart from it not being a complete flop after that dev path *shudder*) is that it has a real world setting.

Well, you are welcome to your opinion but for me I wouldn't play many to any video games if it wasn't for the fantasy settings.

Real world setting is never of interest to me.

edit ...

Bonus lesson MMOs need to learn from The Division: High stakes PVP is fun!
    The irony of The Division is lost on so many who haven’t been a part of the MMO industry for years. How long did we wail about games like Darkfall and the cruelty of losing our hard earned stuff? Then The Division comes along and everyone loves it. You know why? Taking a big risk for a big reward is exhilarating. And, just like most MMORPGs that tried this dynamic before it, losing isn’t such a big deal after all.

Great, how exactly is the Division different from those other games? Because all you are saying is "high stakes is fun but people moaned about other games but here they aren't and now I'm going to leave you with that!"

Because The Division implemented it as it should be done. It being OPTIONAL!

In the other games it was FORCED upon you. People don't like being forced into such kind of gameplay that is sure to attract the worst kind of players.

In The Division you can choose when and if you want to partake in it and how much and still have plenty of other stuff to do.

More importantly, if you don't want you can completely ignore the DZ and still get good gear through crafting.

Darkfall was just that. lowlife scum grief heaven. Thanks but no thanks.
    Man I just Played The Division over the weekend and spent a lot of time with picking up random groups and overcoming the missions on hard difficulty, trying different strategies. overall a had a BLAST playing and im only lvl 11/15DZ. LMG to the rescue!