Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'Falling Short of Finding the Fun', Development CeasesEQN EverQuest Next News - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

image'Falling Short of Finding the Fun', Development CeasesEQN EverQuest Next News - MMORPG.com

Daybreak's Russell Shanks has published a letter on the EverQuest Next site that announces the sad news that the game has been cancelled. Citing big dreams and technical advancements, Shanks said that the development had fallen "short of finding the fun".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CevarasCevaras Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I guess fun = profit at Daybreak.
  • teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Well, I guess the writing has been on the wall for awhile, but it is still hugely disappointing, to me at least.

I, like many here I'm sure, have extremely fond memories of time spent in EQ back in the day (and, like not so many, the time I spent in EQ2). And I was truly hoping that EQnext would recapture some of that, or at least represent the world of Norrath in a way that I would enjoy experiencing. I know now that "feeling" that I had in the early days of EQ is impossible to recreate, and a waste of time trying b/c it was a mix of a lot of factors that made EQ what it was. But a big part of my enjoyment in EQ was the world itself and the (if you bothered looking for it) deep lore that everything was built on, and I was looking forward to experiencing at least that again.

I think that this may be "it" for me as far as MMO's go....it was the last one in development I had any real interest in playing, and unless they decide to try again with EQ I don't see myself investing the time into any other MMO. That sucks b/c MMO's were a large part of my life for a long time, but I find myself not willing to go back into old games and play catch up, and none of the MMO's in the pipeline pique my interest. A sad day to be sure...
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Cevaras said:

You'll never hear of a CEO who feels differently. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Cevaras said:
    fun not making a profit = closed game studio.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Whatever.... we funded Landmark with the express purpose of using that technology to further EQN... this is BS but I'm not surprised. Daybreak is just another company that craps all over everything it touches.
  • BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

Ikeda said:

Whatever.... we funded Landmark with the express purpose of using that technology to further EQN... this is BS but I'm not surprised. Daybreak is just another company that craps all over everything it touches.

Honestly as soon as I heard that an "investment firm" bought a gaming company, I figured nothing good was going to come of it. The same thing happened to Atari when Infogrames bought it. They ran the Atari name right into the ground. The best games are always put out by people that have an understanding of game design and business both. It's sad. Doubt they will put out anything decent anytime soon and maybe not even at all.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the studio is dead in the water and has been for years basically. The last game they released that actually did okay for awhile was DCUO but even that was considered by most a flop and I'm sure they have a hefty royalty fee attached to it anyways due to it being DC Comics. The last big splash game they made was everquest 1 and Star Wars Galaxies. EQ2 I would even say wasnt all that population wise as they really only had two really busy servers a year after launch anyways and slowly died off until free to play revived the game some. 

Ive played SOE games since everquest including the old not as known ones like everquest online adventures. The issue with every single SOE game they have created since everquest is staying power, no one stays long except a small fraction of the fan base-obviously not enough to pay the bills. Their games I would call not terrible just not good either including everquest 2 and SWG. How many different times did they revamp combat in both SWG.... Also every single SOE game in the end, ending up being about gear scores and raids and endless gear chasing treadmills that people eventually get sick of doing to death. 

I honestly just feel very sorry for the people not in charge of making decisions who just want to work in the industry and support their families. Idiots like Smedley and the rest of his rag tag bunch of decision makers are the reasons why these people have to look for new work I'm pretty sure soon. Its funny you would think guys like them would learn there lesson with game failure after game failure. 
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I assumed it was cancelled already, SOE is dead, they've been on borrowed time for years because they just don't frigging listen and never had.

+ Destiny isn't an MMO and it isn't a good game.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "You have broken - what cannot be broken."

Merlin, Excalibur

Daybreak owns one of the largest and most popular IPs in the business, where a lot of work had already been done, and could not find a way to make it work.

That is flat out incompetence. Move on Daybreak. Go sell shower curtains. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    edited March 2016
    Totally called it, sad to say. Won't enjoy telling my friend who insisted this wasn't vaperware and couldn't see the writing on the wall. P.S. Can I have my money back for Landmark?

Smile

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    So much work, so much effort, so much time, and so much hope... now all for nothing. It amazes me when studios cancel a project that has been developed for so long.
    brihtwulf said:
    So much work, so much effort, so much time, and so much hope... now all for nothing. It amazes me when studios cancel a project that has been developed for so long.
    The amount of money that they piss away is amazing.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Amathe said:
    "You have broken - what cannot be broken."

Merlin, Excalibur

Daybreak owns one of the largest and most popular IPs in the business, where a lot of work had already been done, and could not find a way to make it work.

That is flat out incompetence. Move on Daybreak. Go sell shower curtains. 
    Actually, there is a different take on that.

It's not that they couldn't make "Everquest" work but that they couldn't make "Everquest Next" work.

Have you ever inherited a project where you were in charge but that scrapping the project and starting over wasn't an option? That you actually had to work with what you were given?

Well I have! And believe me, it's no picnic.

I was made the Director of a play where I thought the play was not good and where I had no control over the cast as that decision was made. The only thing I could do is take what I was given and make it happen. Of course, the reason it had to happen was because of the people who put their hard work into it and not "money". If it was money I would have said "no".

Daybreak essentially inherited all of these projects. They might have even been convinced to give the game a certain amount of development. They were then given what was done, how much money was spent how much money would be needed and what was the projected revenue and they said ok "no more".

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Literally nobody is surprised by this

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    It was doomed the second they showed us the first glimpse.

Joined - July 2004

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Sad but entirely predicted... A great title has passed, we should mourn EverQuest we will not see it's likes again!
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited March 2016
    Everything they revealed about it looked pretty damned awful, so it doesn't surprise me they ultimately decided against it. The combat system, the "destructable world", the player made quests... It all sounded absolutely terrible.
    It also infuriates me, because I have been waiting for a third EQ game since I lost interest in EQ2 in 2007... Now I'll likely be long dead before a fresh installment is released. You know what grinds my gears even further. Smedley scrapped the original game because it "wasn't different enough." I would bet anything the game they scrapped is actually what EQ fans wanted. And we could have been playing it years ago. Literally, F--- Smedley.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Is this a surprise to anyone?

That damn scam what was EQN:L should have for told all for all.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Everquest Next was the only Western MMO that I was really looking foward to. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Ikeda said:

I got my money back ;)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Finally, closure.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Sad.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Maybe I will have another look at EQ2.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Aethaeryn said:
    Maybe I will have another look at EQ2.

Before it closes?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So the "vocal minority" was right again eh?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯