Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russell Shanks on the Cancellation and Future of the EverQuest Franchise

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Not the end of the world but truly sad, because this game had promise.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    DMKano said:
    mithoss said:
    What an unimpressive lineup this company now has: 2 dayz clones, 1 minecraft clone and 2 ancient mmos

Minecraft clone??? Umm wow, you are so off the mark you're in a different galaxy.
    you mine resources, you build stuff. The scope might be bigger but it boils down to this.
  • SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226
    No surprise here. Be good news if the entire company goes belly up besides.
  • Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    So so so dissapointed.. MMO's are becoming a rare thing nowdays
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

"You guys will poop yourselves..." - me, when I saw EQN behind closed doors at E3 when it was unveiled.

"I just pooped myself." - me, when talked to Daybreak about the closure.

"I'll poop myself again." - me, whenever they finally decide what the next EQ will be. I dare to dream.

So you believe there will be another EQ game? To me, the tone of this interview indicates it is highly unlikely, even though he mentioned they will keep investing into the world of Norrath.

Looking at what they are going to focus on - H1Z1, Landmark, bringing existing title to a console - makes me believe they will maybe release some expansions for existing EQs in the following years at best.

Next Everquest game would be a complex project which I am not sure they are capable of delivering (or maybe even funding?). Look at the quality of their recent games (e.g. H1Z1).

I dont know, maybe I am completely wrong and unnecessarily negative, but thats the feeling I get from this interview.

"Everquest" is a franchise. The name and trademark hold significant value. They will release a new title one day or they will sell it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MW2KMW2K Member UncommonPosts: 1,036
    Sad, but not unsurprising. Sounded like vapourware from the start.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    As I said at the time of the takeover and subsequently EQN got a chance; it was given some money and CN didn't cut it on day 1.

My "best guess" was that the team were told to "get it released" in 2015 (hence the year of EQN) with (in my view) funding through to the end of February as contingency.

It didn't release; a "root and branch" review has been conduted - as envisaged - and - also as envisaged - CN were not prepared to spend more money like Sony.

And you can't blame CN imo. The future now is simply to make as much money as possible from the already released games. And when they stop making money close them. It could make it harder for the existing games as well. My assumption was that staff will have been assigned to games - shared staff eliminated as far as possible. Some will have remained however and these will have to be funded by one "game" less.

P.S The rest of the interview says basically nothing as well. What else can the poor guy say after all: our focus is in making fun games (really, you mean you are not aiming to produce crap) but we are going to wait on discussing anything else (i.e. not enough money coming in yet to start on a new title.)
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited March 2016
    What a Disgusting company !!

Daybreak gaming is the Disgusting pig of gaming hahah

I Love everquest games, Really wanted to see what the gnomes would have looked like

Screw Yoooou Daybreak Gaming
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    OH SNORP!   So.. what are they making right now? anything?

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    edited March 2016
    OH SNORP!   So.. what are they making right now? anything?
    A H1Z1 spinoff, other than that, just porting DC online to Xbone and finishing up landmark, along with some EQ1 and 2 development.
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416
    Well that's it, Daybreak are as useful as a fart in a thunderstorm, I knew when they took over they wouldn't have the expertise to follow through on EQN, or the deep pockets required to push the gaming boundaries that this game required.
    So the money men spoke and the game was just thrown away, my arse was it only recently cancelled, they did this a long time ago, just amazed they where able to keep their ppl quiet about it, how can anyone take this company seriously now.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    What can I say. I guess none of us is surprised. I said from the get go that this changable Voxel world they bit off more than they can chew.

I still recall the first reveal video with David Georgeson, and I recall how underwhelmed I was by the visuals. These voxel cartoon graphics never reallly caught up with me.

Still... the idea that there will be no Everquest continuation for any forseeable time, and by the time a New Norrath will return I will be an old fart with dentures... kinda makes me feel sad. Against all rationality, I had hoped that Daybreak would somehow turn it around, use the basics to make Everquest Next a normal MMO with some cool features.

Lesson for me is, don't aim for the sky. They just wanted EQN to be way too many things.

As sad day, and for me a personal closing chapter. I had long began to drift away from MMOs - or they form me, rather, and EQ Next was sort of my last hope to see MMOs good again, like in the Good Old Days.

So Obi-Wan was right and my father is truly dead...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    AwDiddums said:
    Well that's it, Daybreak are as useful as a fart in a thunderstorm, I knew when they took over they wouldn't have the expertise to follow through on EQN, or the deep pockets required to push the gaming boundaries that this game required.
    So the money men spoke and the game was just thrown away, my arse was it only recently cancelled, they did this a long time ago, just amazed they where able to keep their ppl quiet about it, how can anyone take this company seriously now.
    While I can appreciate your sentiment, some of you guys just don't think along the correct lines.

It has nothing to do with "deep pockets" and pushing gaming boundaries.

Let's say they sink millions upon millions into the game. It sells and like every other mmo its player base shrinks. To top it off, given the current environment, they might feel compelled to make the game f2p or at least b2p with cash shop.

So now they have no set amount coming in and have to rely upon driving players to their cash shop.

It's a sucky business. The only reason I think they bought SOE is because they were an established development company and they want to get into mobile and f2p games with little up front cost.

Remember, the company that bought SOE are all money men. They are an investment company. Their sole purpose is making money.

Everquest Next might have made them some money up front but but I'm guessing it wasn't as great as the original developers/idea men wanted it to be and they immediately knew that continuing it would be a bad investment.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SirBongsAlotSirBongsAlot Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I would love too see EQ2 come to the PS4 and X1 ._.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    I thought we already knew this game was cancelled? There was never any information on it. They been cancelled this game. They just now telling you...
  • BluemazeBluemaze Member UncommonPosts: 4

OMG What a surprise!

If you are in 2014... Even braindead figured out it was over for the game at the moment Daybreak happened.

What a friggin shame. If any game had potential to save MMO genre from death it was that one.

It was our last hope...

The last hope is in a game called Chronicles of Elyria. Check it out.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    If all the games from SoE was doing well, then Sony would not sold it off. This just telling with all there games it's not making amount needed. Just saying.
  • redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited March 2016

trouser03 said:

What a crap company SOE/Daybreak. This has to be by far the biggest FAIL in the history or MMO's, probably even video games in general. Being a longtime EQ1 fan and Vanguard player, it's become the norm to watch this developer mis-manage and NEVER deliver on what they say. This is the nail in the coffin for the entire EQ brand. Fuking morons ... amateurs. It's like NASA announcing we're going to travel to another galaxy in 10 years and not being sure how to make the tech work. You shouldn't be allowed to be a game developer Daybreak!

Preach! They should not be allowed to make a game ever again, seriously. Epic fail, never support SOE/Daybreak on anything in the future. This "IS" the biggest MMO fail in history...
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited March 2016
    Sucks to see it go down officially, but worst for me is that the magical AI they were supposed to build the game around most likely never came close to being a reality and PVE/Themepark or whatever you want to call them won't bring enough dynamic/challenging content for me personally, at least not today.

No surprise that most upcoming games and recent releases are focused on PVP and players as content in some form. Luckily I prefer these types of designs, but more quality options out in the market are never a bad thing.

Will be interesting to see what they do with all the resources they've build over the last few years for EQN and Landmark. Surely they can cobble something together for at least F2P to draw in some folks, but not going to hold my breath.
  • Ahil6Ahil6 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    R.I.P. Everquest
    How we loved thee ...
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    I bought Land mark in hope to support EQNext .........."players will help us build content" yeah

Well project was so ambitious that DayBreak simply didn't have the balls to handle with it .....yeah further products will be very satisfying ....not ( sarcasm )
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Sounds like Daybreak is on life support and/or waiting for a buy out.
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited March 2016
    ... So did everyone get their money back from pre-orders and whatnot? Did I miss that?
  • diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    That cowboy wannabe mother f***** knows how to sell bullshit. I knew right off the bat he couldn't swallow the load he wall selling!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    redrain84 said:

trouser03 said:

What a crap company SOE/Daybreak. This has to be by far the biggest FAIL in the history or MMO's, probably even video games in general. Being a longtime EQ1 fan and Vanguard player, it's become the norm to watch this developer mis-manage and NEVER deliver on what they say. This is the nail in the coffin for the entire EQ brand. Fuking morons ... amateurs. It's like NASA announcing we're going to travel to another galaxy in 10 years and not being sure how to make the tech work. You shouldn't be allowed to be a game developer Daybreak!

Preach! They should not be allowed to make a game ever again, seriously. Epic fail, never support SOE/Daybreak on anything in the future. This "IS" the biggest MMO fail in history...
    It's not all that different than Blizzard's Titan project, or CCP's WOD.. At least this project has the excuse of not being in sturdy corporate hands. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson