Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Cancellation: Are you shocked?

Comments

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Kopogero said:
    The only "next" thing for SOE/Daybreak is back to the drawing board. SWG was the last product that took my $ from them and that was back in 2003 until their perma ban year after, cuz I simply "threatened" somebody on forum once for using exploit then to brag on forum with ss how he killed me. Karma is a beautiful thing.
    13 years holding a grudge....I think karma picked on you not the other way around. 
  • isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    How could one not see this coming, and it had nothing to do with daybreak lol. The big reveal a few years ago and making it so that everybody can be every class and so on. And don't forget they scrubbed the game once before to try and anticipate the horde of locusts.  
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sorry, I'm just saying that I couldn't see a venture cap firm buying it at or above market cap if they aren't planning on continuing to develop their flagship franchise. 
    ...and I pointed out to you what is you can't see. Yet, you still make some more odd assumptions they weren't planning to finish EQN.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Not shocked, but sucks to see a game not make it to release or live up to the hype. Probably posted the most comments of any about EQN between here and Reddit, but is what it is. BDO is entertaining me and other games are on the horizon. Gaming never fails to bring joy and disappointment.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    danwest58 said:
    I called this out as soon as SOE became Daybreak.  
    It wasn't dead though when they took over.

As I said in other posts they could have cancelled it on day 1 but, imo, gave it a year and a 1 year budget.

Wizardry said:
    <snip>
    I also mentioned PS2,that game imo is in maintenance mode,expect a closure soon,likely by end of 2016.

Where does DBG goes from here,idk but i think they are seriously thinking this whole purchase was a bad idea.I know they rushed out those two xpacks but i doubt they sold many at all,likely not making nearly enough money fro many of their games,not even H1Z1 anymore.That s iwhy they tried this incredibly cheap ass idea to split H1Z1 up to trry and reinvigorate sales but DBG is just going to continue sailing on Smedley's sinking ship.

Make as much money as possible via however many small xpacs they can push out. Close titles as and when they stop making money.

The purchase a bad idea? Maybe. Depends what they paid. The revenue from existing games was known; EQN a maximum budget; the EQ IP - maybe they licensed it from Sony - with a purchase option.  
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    I guess the only good thing to come of it was that all the devs got paid a years salary and DBG got fuck all for it. Silver linings and all that.

<snip>
    I wonder if they are going to kill off Landmark.. or use the tech from EQN and apply it to Landmark.
    The tech in Landmark is - for all intents and purpose - the tech in EQN.May be some extra bits but they were conceived as "siamese twins".

Landmark will survive as long as it "makes money"; as an absolute minimum it has to cover its costs but I would assume that it will have profit targets. And without EQN that will probably be harder. Also less reason for people to create assets in Landmark. 

azarhal said:
    I'm sad, not really shocked. I was sure that they would cancel Landmark before EQNext. Nope, they cancelled EQnext and are launching Landmark instead.
    And launching Landmark means ....

that the alpha that launched is now the full production game and no one should expect any further development to take place.  
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    gervaise1 said:
    danwest58 said:

As I said in other posts they could have cancelled it on day 1 but, imo, gave it a year and a 1 year budget.

What makes you think it wasn't dead?

What was shown over the last year (two actually) that displayed any level of development being done. 

Do you think anyone looked at Landmark and thought it was 1 year away from releasing into a full AAA mmo, especially after half of Daybreak staff was let go?

There is a reason Daybreak never actually showed anything and only occasionally talked about things very vaguely.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Daffid011 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    danwest58 said:

What makes you think it wasn't dead?

What was shown over the last year (two actually) that displayed any level of development being done. 

Do you think anyone looked at Landmark and thought it was 1 year away from releasing into a full AAA mmo, especially after half of Daybreak staff was let go?

There is a reason Daybreak never actually showed anything and only occasionally talked about things very vaguely.

My thought is that they were using the year to figure out how to make a game that had some of the features but that wasn't going to cost them an arm and a leg. 

They realized they couldn't do it and just stopped development.

They didn't want to show anything because everything was subject to change.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Not surprised and since EQNext had nothing to do with EQ other than the name, I'm not caring either.  The world needs a new MMORPG that's like a modern EQ, not yet another F2P cesspool of casual solo nonsense.

Some of their ideas were good - or at least some of the stuff they spewed at their reveal - but they had nothing except talk and apparently that ended up not being enough.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I just dont understand how with todays technology and the Everquest brandname, they could not come up with a fun game. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Pantheon baby!!
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Its up to Pantheon now to deliver the real old school game we've been waiting for. Actually a first look at some gameplay tonight on twitch.tv/visionaryrealms. What a coincidence it corresponds with the day EQ Next is shut down... or maybe it isn't.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I am shocked.

It's not that I thought Daybreak was awesome. It's that I think the Everquest franchise has so much to offer that even these guys ought to have found an interesting way to present the next iteration of the IP. 

Now I am worried whether EQ will ever get off of Gilligan's Island and into the hands of someone competent. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    This game was dead when they got rid of bunch of senior developers, 40% of their staff together with Storybricks, it just took them a year to finally tell us. Why focus on making expensive and risky mmorpg's when you can make quick money on releasing shitty early access games like H1Z1.

Congratulations Theybreak Games and good luck on making more shitty games.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    more devs realise old style mmos wouldn't sell
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    edited March 2016
    Sovrath said:
    My thought is that they were using the year to figure out how to make a game that had some of the features but that wasn't going to cost them an arm and a leg. 

They realized they couldn't do it and just stopped development.

They didn't want to show anything because everything was subject to change.

You really think it took them a year to figure out the game couldnt be finished in a year or that they couldn't show a single thing?

I can't think of another company with more experience developing, buying and publishing MMOs than SOE was.  If a project is given a year to finish, there really isn't "subject to change" as you are suggesting.  Things would be pretty set in stone and marketing would be gearing up for a release. 

However the exact opposite occured.  The first action the new owners took was to fire almost every single person in charge of the EQN project and stop discussing its development.  That doesn't say "here is another year of funding" that says "project cancelled".

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    no it was a pipe dream to even begin with..the concept sounded cool but was also down right silly and outrageous ..the closest thing you will ever get now is landmark which is just a waterdown minecraft
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    no it was a pipe dream to even begin with..the concept sounded cool but was also down right silly and outrageous ..the closest thing you will ever get now is landmark which is just a waterdown minecraft
    From the depths
    Rising World
    7 Days to Die

are just three examples of games that are taking the idea of minecraft and expanding on it. In fact there are now a LOT of voxel games and pretty much every single one of them have expanded on Minecraft 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    I want to see those who "knew" it was going on fine behind the scenes ,  posted fervently in defense of Daybreak Games , to pull up a seat.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited March 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sad as this is the only MMO I know about that was coming out I was excited about. A MMO that was not a cookie cutter of everything around it. I see hints on the forums that other options are coming soon. So I hold hope for now. Thanks DGC for trying to push MMOs in a new direction. I am sorry to see you fail at making this become a reality. This EQ nerd hopes one day to see a new Norath. 
    And you were so sure lmfao, all those post knocking anyone who saw the obvious. All we can hope is that Brad and co pull it out of a hat which I personally think he will. 

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited March 2016
    Kopogero said:
    The only "next" thing for SOE/Daybreak is back to the drawing board. SWG was the last product that took my $ from them and that was back in 2003 until their perma ban year after, cuz I simply "threatened" somebody on forum once for using exploit then to brag on forum with ss how he killed me. Karma is a beautiful thing.
    Again, congrats on not spending any money. Also, whats up with that undeserved perma ban? All you did was threatening someone? Man.... who would have guessed you can get in trouble for doing that.