Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russell Shanks on the Cancellation and Future of the EverQuest Franchise

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageRussell Shanks on the Cancellation and Future of the EverQuest Franchise

Today, after more than a year in the dark, it was announced by Daybreak Games that development has ceased on the highly anticipated MMORPG, EverQuest Next. As players and fans, we’ve been in limbo for so long, but it still comes as a blow that such a wildly impressive concept will never see the light of day.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Well, that sucks.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Im not surprised.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Official Vaporware lol
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Not shocked.

Also damn Bill you always get articles published first on this site lol. And/or get exclusives. Nice job. :P
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    "You guys will poop yourselves..." - me, when I saw EQN behind closed doors at E3 when it was unveiled.

"I just pooped myself." - me, when talked to Daybreak about the closure.

"I'll poop myself again." - me, whenever they finally decide what the next EQ will be. I dare to dream.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Oh well not really surprised I suppose it was apparent for some time.
    Chamber of Chains
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    OMG What a surprise!

If you are in 2014... Even braindead figured out it was over for the game at the moment Daybreak happened.

What a friggin shame. If any game had potential to save MMO genre from death it was that one.

It was our last hope...

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Writing was on the wall for a long long time. And I am glad as they were ruining EQ. The beginning of the end was when they scrapped everything ( again ) to use voxels. They had no idea what they were doing at that point. To go from a game that looked as good if not better than Planetside 2 ( remember that screen from a few years ago? ) to Disney with overly large everything was just pure stupidity.

The sealer was when they decided to do Landmark and stop pushing EQN. Then again it was for the best considering we would have a very terrible EQN in place of Landmark right now.

It was our last hope...
    I don't think so, but I can't say why. ;) Plus, CU, Crowfall, and more are coming.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited March 2016
    No mention of Landmark in there, does this mean they are keeping Landmark?

update:
    Color me surprised, the same day they announce they are cancelling EQNext, they also announce they are releasing Landmark in the Spring.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    edited March 2016
    No surprise. I hate that people spent money on Landmark in anticipation of Next.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "We know that the fans of EQN will be disappointed by the news"

No. Not disappointed. Try "will hate you forever."

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The writing was on the wall a long time ago.
    DBG just doesn't have the people to make a game, by the sounds of things they have trouble maintaining the ones they have running.
    It would not surprise me in the least to see DBG assets sold off further and the company wound down.
    Once SOE parted ways from Sony and changed names, the departure of so many of their core developers, the rather belated removal of Smedley, the DBG train was always going to be heading in one direction and with a very limited amount of track.
    Once Sony's safety net was removed, it was kind of inevitable, as Vulture companies, sorry, investment companies, are all about the money.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Amathe said:

"We know that the fans of EQN will be disappointed by the news"

No. Not disappointed. Try "will hate you forever."

Pretty much. I was already at that point due to SOE destroying SWG. So at least I avoided this train wreck.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I don't think there's ever been a day where more people missed SoE.

azarhal said:

No mention of Landmark in there, does this mean they are keeping Landmark?

Yes, and releasing officially soon - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/982/view/news/read/38680/Landmark-Release-Date-Revealed-Longdale-Named-Executive-Producer.html

My Review Manifesto

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    What an unimpressive lineup this company now has: 2 dayz clones, 1 minecraft clone and 2 ancient mmos
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Wow....

Sad to say that I saw this coming. Even though I wasn't playing any SOE titles since the closure of Vanguard. I kept my annual seasons pass running because I wanted to support the concepts being sported
    for EQN. I pulled my annual all seasons pass a few months back because I lost faith.

Seems my feelings were justified.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I am not surprised this happened and even called it out when SOE was turned into Daybreak. When it comes down to it MMORPGs are at the point where more MUST shut down no matter what people say. The market is just too saturated with the number of MMORPGs vs the number of players when the cost of making an MMORPG is just too dam high. Add to that today CEOs want 50% to 60% margins on what they create because their companies are all about stockholders and not about a private company creating something it loves to do.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    SWG...Vanguard...now EQN.....no one knows how to alienate people like these ones do.

~I am Many~

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

It was our last hope...
    I don't think so, but I can't say why. ;) 
    You could PM it ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    I am actually reliefed.

Glad they don't piss on the name that is Everquest with a trainwreck like that. Nothing in common with Everquest then some names. Hell, they switched genres ffs.

Now they can begin thinking about simply doing Everquest with modern graphics.
    You don't always have to change stuff for it to be fun. Just look at all the blockbuster sequels that just switch out story and change nothing else. They are doing fine. Think AC and co.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    I liked the idea of the game. But I did find it a bit weird that the game, EQNext, had nothing in common with Everquest. The core EQ gameplay is slow combat that heavily relies on class interdependence with well defined classes. EQNext was going to be far more action and solo oriented. It's hard to get EQ players on your side when EQNext didn't have any overlap with the EQ franchise.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    "You guys will poop yourselves..." - me, when I saw EQN behind closed doors at E3 when it was unveiled.

"I just pooped myself." - me, when talked to Daybreak about the closure.

"I'll poop myself again." - me, whenever they finally decide what the next EQ will be. I dare to dream.

Yeah, Best of Show really shouldn't have been awarded to a concept note.