Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead yet?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited March 2016
    Torval said:
    I really wish Smedley and Georgeson were still driving the boat. I'm not happy with the what Longdale has done with EQ2 and it doesn't give me any confidence for how this will turn out, if it ever does.
    @Torval ;I have stopped playing EQ2 for a while. Whats he done thats so bad?
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    CrazKanuk said:

I don't think that there's anything wrong with what he said. It isn't inaccurate, is it? It went from very open to devoid of any sort of community communication. That being said, this is an exceptional case. We're not talking about a game, by the same company, that went dark. We're talking about a game that was in development, the company was sold, and then it went dark. Asking someone to name a similar game isn't fair in and of itself because the paradigm is rare, if not unprecedented. 

It's actually frequent. Although, maybe not the lock down of the EQNext forum to Workshop talk only but I believe that is because RadarX doesn't want to moderate them and he thinks communities should be handled like soldiers in an army.

Some examples:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided. It was supposed to release last January, but it was pushed back to August. Since the push back, they totally stopped promoting the game, while they were in promote heavy mode before that. We probably have to wait for E3 for the marketing to restart. They have been silence since November, not that longer than EQNext latest info which is from early October.

Mass Effect: Andromeda. Officially announced on E3 2015, since then nothing (we also know they started to work on it in 2012). Apparently, they are holding up for the EA events just before E3.

SWTOR. They announced the game officially, opened a website/forums, posted videos and lore stuff in 2008 and early 2009. Then in 2009, they opened beta registration and went silent until the 3E the next year and them being ready to start closed beta.

Cyberpunk 2077. Announced in 2013, CDProjekt has refused to talk about the game since, stating they are still focusing on Witcher 3.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced early to attract developers. SWTOR was probably similar, many people who joined the game in lead positions joined in 2009. DX:MD and ME:A silence is probably to save money on the marketing.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    With an IP such as Everquest, both previous games still running and played, it baffles me that they have not released EQN. Why sit on a lucrative Franchise?
    Only been a year as far as CN go.

Could they do nothing? Absolutely. And if "Profit from released games" has exceeded / is on track to exceed what they paid (by some reasonable amount) then from a business point of view all has worked out.

Now the fact that they didn't let the entire EQN team go implies they are working on EQN. However when it comes to lucrative Sony wrote off $60M. 

What EQN has is potential. Think of it like a poker hand. Sony have put $60M in the pot. CN have put $X in the poit based on "the odds". The odds being "the (estimated) cost to finish" / "what the game might make". They calculated the odds when they bought SoE and put the money in. As each (probably) quarter goes by they will revisit the odds. If the odds tank .... 

And I suspect that they will also factor in the probability that releasing EQN will damage  EQ1 and EQ2 - in the sense eof making them less profitable. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    gervaise1 said:
    With an IP such as Everquest, both previous games still running and played, it baffles me that they have not released EQN. Why sit on a lucrative Franchise?
    Now the fact that they didn't let the entire EQN team go implies they are working on EQN. However when it comes to lucrative Sony wrote off $60M. 

DGC also hired staff after the lay off for EQN. There was a number of positions posted right on DGC webpage. Last job posting for EQN I saw was about 6-8 months ago. 
    edited March 2016
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Torval said:
    I really wish Smedley and Georgeson were still driving the boat. I'm not happy with the what Longdale has done with EQ2 and it doesn't give me any confidence for how this will turn out, if it ever does.
    Holly is a she. I don't like how she's split the community with subscription only Timelocked servers especially at a time when the game was struggling period. They devote a lot of extra effort to TLE a the expense of the Live servers and I think it's bad for the game overall.

I don't like how they're managing their content updates. They're smaller and feel much more like rehashed content to me than fresh new updates. [...]
    Holly has to work with her skeleton crew and the TLE servers were probably a last efforts to boost profits on EQ/EQ2 and gives Daybreak a bit more cash (or pay off some debts, who knows).

As for Georgeson, going by some ex-employees, he's the one who pushed for Landmark to be a full fledged game instead of the asset building tool they originally planned it as and he still believed right before he was fired that the game was a success (hence him pushing for open beta when the game was nowhere ready for that). He probably made a ton of promises for Landmark/EQNext that were never in the plans.

Smedley was just interested in PvP.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK know the insides of the Landmark ideals but we do know when they decided to change their direction.

TO me it is not a Georgeson thing,it looks very obvious a ploy to instead of developing a long term debt to build the game,they went for an idea to get players to fund it's completion.

I am sort of curious as to why they did not attempt the same crowd funding idea that everyone else is doing.My hunch is the transparency thing,they never planned on having a full team work 24/7 on Next and instead just fit it in between work projects,so they would have an angry bunch of crowd funder's.

One other question that pops into my head is we and their team knows what Smedley had in mind,so i wonder what this team is actually doing.Smeds goal was to have gaming on all platforms,that is going to be a smallish game to pull that off,perhaps they are working on bringing H1Z1 to other platforms and not working on Next at all.I wonder this because as of the EQ/EQ2 xpack releases i cannot see any projects they would be working on,i am 99% certain they are not working on PS2,that game is imo in maintenance mode.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Emily/Terry (EQNext/Landmark producers) aren't going to be working on porting H1Z1 to consoles.

Also, Emile is real chatty, we would know if she had been moved to another project, just like she mentioned being moved temporary on EQ2 last summer to work on the new expac. Instead, she is posting sneak peek for the March Landmark update and doing overtime...
    Torval said:
    azarhal said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Torval said:
    Holly is a she. I don't like how she's split the community with subscription only Timelocked servers especially at a time when the game was struggling period. They devote a lot of extra effort to TLE a the expense of the Live servers and I think it's bad for the game overall.

I don't like how they're managing their content updates. They're smaller and feel much more like rehashed content to me than fresh new updates. [...]
    Holly has to work with her skeleton crew and the TLE servers were probably a last efforts to boost profits on EQ/EQ2 and gives Daybreak a bit more cash (or pay off some debts, who knows).

As for Georgeson, going by some ex-employees, he's the one who pushed for Landmark to be a full fledged game instead of the asset building tool they originally planned it as and he still believed right before he was fired that the game was a success (hence him pushing for open beta when the game was nowhere ready for that). He probably made a ton of promises for Landmark/EQNext that were never in the plans.

Smedley was just interested in PvP.
    Dismiss it and excuse it and throw out your probably conjecture all you want. This I know: EQ2 was more populated with a more energetic and positive community then than now.

The way TLE has been implemented has driven a wedge in the community. They got a little more revenue at the expense of the game overall. It's not so much the why, but the how, and the end result that matters.
    I'm pretty sure the community started to nose dive when RadarX took over community management for all Daybreak personally.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    edited March 2016
    Nanfoodle said:
    I have never said, I think the game is this or that. I have always said the devs say and till the devs say something different, your guess means little to me. Sorry Daff. As far as a MMO still in Alpha stages we know more then most games that this point in development. Normally alpha means you know nothing. You cant try out the combat etc like we have in EQN. Or get an idea how the game will drive. We do because of Landmark. As for the fine point of the game, we still know nothing. If you dont get the whole picture thats not my fault daff. So yes, again, your guess mean little as so would mine. We know nothing till the devs tell us or someone leaks something. So stop putting words in my mouth. 

The developers said 2015 was the year of EQN!  So by your logic, since thet have not corrected that and we have no clue unless they tell us something, 2015 was the year of EQN!!!!!

As for knowing more about EQN, can you name something as simple the classes and races yet?  I can go to other pre-alpha games which you have been seen ripping apart on these forums an find that information.  Despite all the talking SOE/Daybreak has done, you really can't say with any degree of certainty what is still in the game or not, for example story bricks.

Actually I think most people get the picture about the game based on what we do know, have seen and the regression of the project. 

and yes you have made claims to the point where people were posting "in before nanfoodle comes in to tell us how great the game is going to be and we are all wrong".  No offense intended.

Nanfoodle said:
    Where it bothers me with Daff there is this. We begs for something different. We begs for MMOs not to be cookie cutter and DGC has stuck their necks out trying to make something different and we gamers look for every reason to bash them for it. Even if they fail, IMO they should be cheered for trying. I know the odds are not on their side. Was not from the moment they went down the path of a RD game. I will always cheer for devs who go in new directions. 

You may want to stop speaking for everyone and then condeming them for not following what you think they need to do.

I just want a fun game, not some edict that a developer must develop something new. 

Lets be clear about something, this is not a fanclub where a company is desperate for our love and support on a forum.  They want our dollars and those dollars should be earned through offering a quality gaming experience. 

Pre-alpha garbage with purchase prices, subscription fees and cash shops is not something that should be cheered, let alone supported.  This is a large part of why the MMO genre has fallen so hard and people that support this garbage are to largely responsible for letting it happen.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    well if rumours are right, they have choosen a new direction...again...but honestly most people who would like a new EQ really do want a more original EQ experience, but yea, it seems pretty dead in its second iteriation, and have for a long time by now.

anyway who cares its all about Pantheon now, or possible saga of Lucimia (or what the name was)
    edited March 2016
    CrazKanuk said:

I don't think that there's anything wrong with what he said. It isn't inaccurate, is it? It went from very open to devoid of any sort of community communication. That being said, this is an exceptional case. We're not talking about a game, by the same company, that went dark. We're talking about a game that was in development, the company was sold, and then it went dark. Asking someone to name a similar game isn't fair in and of itself because the paradigm is rare, if not unprecedented. 

What we do know is they haven't said it's cancelled. I think they've gone as far as to mention it's NOT cancelled. Is that accurate? It isn't as though the studio is being more open with any of their games. They are essentially a black box right now. So the communication style is definitely different. Maybe it's just a matter of them doing a reset on how they are communicating. Maybe they feel that more transparency or more community involvement, or community involvement to the level of EQN doesn't work. There would be evidence supporting that based on some of the other games taking this same, more transparent, path of community communication and involvement. Generally speaking, people DON'T seem to appreciate it, it only gives people additional ammunition to lob dog doodie at the studio, and it creates additional stress on staff. So maybe darkness is the plan. It wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion. 

While anything theoritcally is possible, that doens't mean we know nothing, have no clue and must wait for the developer to tell us what to think.  People are discussing probabilities and someone is trying to say stop it, because something nearly impossible might still happen.

Though you are right about there being about the issues surrounding EQN being unprecedented, but that was sort of the point.  The comparison doesn't have to be one that shares all the same problems of EQNs development.  How about just some or even one?

*8 years into development and looking several years away from a possible release.

*A game whos design was scrapped twice in development and possibly a third.

*A game whos company was sold mid development to a non game development company

*A game where its company went from nearly 1,000 employees to somewhere around 1-200 during its development.

*A game that has seen almost every major decision maker at many levels fired from the project and company, even the CEO.

*A game where the company stopped talking about the development after several years of hype and marketing.

and so on.

I think overwhelmingly most games in those catagories have ended poorly, but we are talking about 1 game that is litterally the motherload of problem examples. 

The problem with the "black box" theory is that the company stopped communicating about the game long before they said they were not communication anymore.  If you really look at the last 2 years of communication, what has it produced?  A couple of character models and some concept art.  It isn't so much that the communication style has changed as much as it is the company not willing to interact with the community or commit to anything.  Like X is still happening or that the game is expected to launch. 

Maybe they are being silent, because something good might come from it, but again we are talking possibilities vs probabilities. 

Post edited by Daffid011 on
    edited March 2016
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Torval said:
    (1) Holly is a she. I don't like how she's split the community with subscription only Timelocked servers especially at a time when the game was struggling period. They devote a lot of extra effort to TLE a the expense of the Live servers and I think it's bad for the game overall.

(2) I don't like how they're managing their content updates. They're smaller and feel much more like rehashed content to me than fresh new updates.

They've added mercs to the store, which I wouldn't mind, but they put them in lock boxes so you can't just buy a quality merc if you want. You are buying an RNG chance at a merc. The big prize is a paladin merc (which is a very good merc) that can drop from any merc type box (healer, dps, etc). So if you're a pally you might just get a pally merc. The mercs are not Heirloom so you can't trade them out to another character on the account.

In her latest letter she said they plan on putting out member only content which she failed to clarify after that vague statement. That would really bum me out because I typically buy every other xpac and then sub for 3 months out of the year. If they go back to sub locked content then I'm pretty much done giving them more money.

There are a few more small points, but the entire package makes me question what they have in store for EQ:N and how that will be managed should it ever release. I know SoE was unpopular with a lot of people, but I really liked it and appreciate it even more now that it's gone. DBG is not SoE for sure.

(1) Unfortunately this is just how the people in charge there run things.  Just like when they promised the EQ2 players that F2P wasn't coming when Dave Georgeson was hired.  Then cash shop was introduced, then RNG loot cards, then seperate F2P servers, but they promised the subsciption servers wouldn't be affected... until they took away free trials to the subscription servers which sentenced them to death and eventually everything went F2P.

Point being, they tend to put content behind paywalls for current players and make development changes aim to attract people who don't play the game.  See also free realms, SWG, etc.

(2) Happens after every major layoff they went through.  It flip flops between claims of focusing on smaller quicker content updates to get stuff to players faster and refocusing on larger content updates that take longer to get more polish into them.  Same end result.

Hedeon said:
    well if rumours are right, they have choosen a new direction...again...but honestly most people who would like a new EQ really do want a more original EQ experience, but yea, it seems pretty dead in its second iteriation, and have for a long time by now.

anyway who cares its all about Pantheon now, or possible saga of Lucimia (or what the name was)
    If you are basing those rumours on Georgeson's "scope change" comment, that's not an accurate understanding of the words he used. A scope change is increasing or downsizing the features or feature sets you are putting in your game, not changing the direction of the design itself.

It could be as trivial as having planned 10 different models of swords but only having the time to make 5 or the opposite make 20 models instead of 10 because you got more time to do so. You can also trade scope between features: you cut in one features, to expand another.

A real life example: Dragon Age Inquisition, the one year push back allowed them to change the scope of the player character by adding playable races instead of just humans and expand the romances. At the same time they had written twice has many plots than what ended up in the game, these were cut (which is a good thing, game was long enough as is) and had to cut features because the old consoles wasn't able to support them (some of them were demoed in 2013).

Georgeson spoke with internal knowledge of the game scope when he left which we aren't privy to as well. He might have mixed Landmark and EQNext in that comment too. Landmark clearly had a scope change, the open beta, under Georgeson, was supposed to happen in March 2015. It was postponed indefinitely since he was fired  and many things were simplified to make it easier for builders (aka reduction in scope of features).

Finally, they have said day one that EQNext wasn't meant to replace EQ1/EQ2. I still don't understand why you all act like it was supposed to be and still complain about it 3 years later.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Howzr said:
    Lots of news about SWG's spiritual successor, but, it's pretty quiet in the EQN corner.
    Yeah, H1Z1 really brought me back LOL! Fucking Smedley. Of course his new game is a pixel art, theme park MMO and will be out in early access. It's the trifecta of modern gaming industry bullshit!
    Smedley opened his mouth and removed all doubt as to what he is
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117

If I was in charge of EQN, development was going well and I didn't have to resort to crowdfunding to move it along, what would be my PR strategy?

Actually it would be to completely cut off all communication with the public until the game was just a few months away from release.

I don't like transparent development, premature hype trains and player input affecting the development, I think for a lot of games these things hurt way more than they help.

Maybe they have a project leader who thinks like me? Then again, maybe it's dead.

• KwonKwon Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Its dead Jim.  EQNext is officially dead.
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194
    /sarcasm on
    Never saw this coming. 
    /sarcasm off
  • dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Archlyte said:
    Howzr said:
    Lots of news about SWG's spiritual successor, but, it's pretty quiet in the EQN corner.
    Yeah, H1Z1 really brought me back LOL! Fucking Smedley. Of course his new game is a pixel art, theme park MMO and will be out in early access. It's the trifecta of modern gaming industry bullshit!
    Smedley opened his mouth and removed all doubt as to what he is
    This person gets me.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This sucks so bad. I hate you Daybreak. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kooziakoozia Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Aww heck.
    On the other hand, I considered it dead the moment they announced they were dropping Story Bricks.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Dead as a Door Nail

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation," the developer said in a post on Reddit. "In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in." February 2, 2015 

Lies. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Amathe said:
    "So what exactly does this mean for you? It will be business as usual and all SOE games will continue on their current path of development and operation," the developer said in a post on Reddit. "In fact, we expect to have even more resources available to us as a result of this acquisition. It also means new exciting developments for our existing IP and games as we can now fully embrace the multi-platform world we are living in." February 2, 2015 

Lies. 
    This is the type of corporate BS I really, really hate!
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Amathe said:

Lies. 
    Because a statement a year old is really relevant at this time.... 

I am sure you have not had to go back on anything you said a year ago. =P

Going by how the real world operates, i am pretty sure that at that time the above statement was the truth. 

Especially as outright lying tend to go bad... 

But i am also pretty sure that one day when they came in to the office Columbus Nova simply posted a note saying. No more cash... Can you put the game out now? They had to say no and just like that the game was dead. 

Columbus Nova cares nothing for Everquest per se... They only care about turning a profit on the IP. To them it is just another data entry in a long list of assets. 

This have been a good conversation