Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

And this is why i hate gender locking.

13»

Comments

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Gender locking is, and always will be terrible....

I like playing the archer/ranger archetype in MMO's....but flat out refuse to play a female character. There is pretty much nothing that can be said that can convince me that gender locking is a good idea
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I agree.  It is not about gender or classes but the inability to customize. . . Look. . a girl with a bow. . I can't use one though because I'm a guy.  I don't mind specific classes that make sense to gender lock if there is a lore reason but this just seems like they went the arcade route. . wizard is about to die. . Warrior needs food badly.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    wanderica said:
    I don't like gender locking for the simple reason that it limits customization.  BDO claims to be this new sandbox style MMO, yet chooses to limit gender choices, has no trade, and doesn't even let the players control the AH.  Seems they've gone out of their way to limit its "sandbox-ness," but maybe that's just the Asian influence.

That said, I don't mind gender locking as it's done here because it has sister classes as opposed to Diablo 2, for example, that only let you play female if you wanted to be a sorcerer of any kind.  If BDO has class balance issues, it isn't due to the gender but rather due to class design.  If all Warriors suddenly became female, the Valk would still be better in other words.  The only time I've seen a legitimate game balance issue due to gender is when females are given smaller hitboxes due to animations or physical avatar size.
    People seem to be missing the point of the OP a bit.  Everyone keeps saying that this is a "class balance" issue, but don't seem to realize that the point of the OP is that gender locking in combination with the class balance issues forces one to play a certain gender if they want to be the "best" class.

In this case, just replace the words "Valkyrie" and "Warrior" with "stronger class that's gender locked as female" and "weaker class that's gender locked as male" respectively and maybe the OP's point will be more clear.

Of course, whether or not the valkyrie is actually better than the warrior is another separate matter.  However, if one accepts that imbalances inevitably exist (which they do for EVERY game honestly), then it should be irrelevant.  As long as there is an imbalance between the classes, then one gender-locked class will always be better than another gender-locked class, which means that one gender, which may not be the one a person wants to play, will always be better than another gender.

TL;DR logic gate version:

There will always be an imbalance between classes (because no game is perfectly balanced)

Classes are gender-locked.

Therefore there will always be an imbalance between genders.

(therefore, somewhere out there the gender that a player wants to play will be inferior to the gender they don't want to play)

Or, for the fanboys that don't think it's possible for an imbalance to exist in their game, perhaps it's easier to think of it in terms of playstyle instead of balance, in which case you get "If I want to play a certain way, I HAVE to be female, but I want to be male.", although this is deviating from the OP's point a little by this point.
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    edited March 2016
    "People seem to be missing the point of the OP a bit.  Everyone keeps saying that this is a "class balance" issue, but don't seem to realize that the point of the OP is that gender locking in combination with the class balance issues forces one to play a certain gender if they want to be the "best" class."

No offense, and I mean this as a different viewpoint, not one of argument.  But I'm not sure people are missing the point.  I think they are taking the point to the next step, just as the OP did when he began his argument that "most veteran BDO players" feel there is a class imbalance between male and female characters. 

They are simply taking it a step further by saying: I played a warrior and still had fun or I like the way they did classes because they play a bit different and I can play both male and female or there has never been a game that's truly balanced. 

They are simply stating that "best" (as you put it) or most powerful (as the OP implied), is and can not be a real argument for not playing a GAME. 

I appreciate the OP's desire to have more freedom; all genders playing all classes.  But, that is not how they designed it.  They designed it as a game, one in which rules exist.  No game is balanced, and if one can't find any fun in a game, then one should walk away and let others see if they can find fun.  What is accomplished from a rant like this, other than to steer someone away before they've determined if it is fun for themselves. 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Kyleran said:
    Avatars are just tools to used like a ship or hammer.

I don't think i could disagree with this statement more. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Alders said:
    Kyleran said:
    Avatars are just tools to used like a ship or hammer.

I don't think i could disagree with this statement more. 
    Irrelevant if you do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I prefer to play a character that resembles myself in real life to some extent. That is why I personally dislike gender-locked classes.

Someone mentioned Tomb Raider but I feel that this misses the point (at least in my instance). I want to feel immersed as my character in an MMO.

Tomb Raider is a single-player game where I follow the pre-written story almost like a movie so there is a reasonable amount of disconnect.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I prefer to play a character that resembles myself in real life to some extent. That is why I personally dislike gender-locked classes.

Someone mentioned Tomb Raider but I feel that this misses the point (at least in my instance). I want to feel immersed as my character in an MMO.

Tomb Raider is a single-player game where I follow the pre-written story almost like a movie so there is a reasonable amount of disconnect.
    Just for the 'lol's might want to check out the guy dressed as lara croft!
    http://www.pleated-jeans.com/2014/09/25/20-men-dressed-as-female-pop-culture-characters/

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    I play a warrior, got to 50 in 7 hours too. I don't feel gimped in PvE or PvP. Unsure where the evidence is that I am inferior to the Valk class when I haven't ran into one that can actually beat me in PvP.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Heretique said:
    I play a warrior, got to 50 in 7 hours too. I don't feel gimped in PvE or PvP. Unsure where the evidence is that I am inferior to the Valk class when I haven't ran into one that can actually beat me in PvP.
    PVP has only been conjectured by korean gamer's fro m the Korean servers.This game is newish,you can't judge anythign pvp yet based on not knowing gear ++,not knowing their skill use and not knowing the level of their skill use.

Also the UI is just god awful,the Ui alone means combat pvp is anything but skill ful.You could take 1 awful player and 1 good player but the good player can't handle the UI will be degraded badly down to the awful players skill level.

UI should be fluent and smooth so that the player determines the outcome not the UI and the gear ++.All it does is reinforce why i detest pvp in rpg's it is so not even close to fun or challenging in a skillful manner.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I don't mind gender and/or race locking if it's done well. But having 5/8 of your classes female-only is just silly.

<3