Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cave Man MMO

jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
I know not everyone likes Far Cry Primal but I think it's one of the best games I've played in awhile. I like always having to gather materials to upgrade items and craft stuff that you lose through playing. I think it could use more weapons but honestly not sure what other weapons would fit in during cave man times that they don't already have. I also like hunting and taming animals.

I'd like to see an MMO like it or at least pretty similar. There's ARK but I don't like modern things mixed with prehistoric. Plus it's not really MMO.

Anyways, a cave man MMO where you could work together to improve your items and village would be something I'd like to play. Hopefully someone will release a similar game within the next 5 years or so.

I'm mostly just tired of the swords and sorcery setting, and a little less tired of sci-fi but that's all that seems to be being released or worked on.

Are you interested in a stone age MMO?

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    I would if it were done right.

It would have to be an extreme Sandbox, with lots of tool uses including things like ropes for climbing and making rope bridges, building stone walls anywhere (but not quick and easy, taking a team effort), digging pits and trenches (same team effort), fire use in many ways (bonfires, torches as weapons, cracking stone, etc.).

It would have to have a deep crafting system with detail. Even though it would be "stone age", making each part separately and requiring skill and perfection. Learning to make each thing in better ways for softer leathers and finer flint weapons, setting up systems for mass production (hunting sites and flint camps).

Trade and resource centers should be a big part.

Weather effects! And all the things to do to avoid weather effects. Clothing, cave or stone homes and fires, makeshift leather tents, etc.

Foraging should be a big part of game play, for everything. Including all the parts of kills. Bones and organs should be as useful as hides.

Then I'd like to see some fantasy elements, lightly done. Add in some dinosaurs, some trolls, some elemental mystical creatures and spirits.

And some low fantasy magic in the form of spirit magics, limited by high costs to mana and possible backfires.

And animal taming, with a deep system that requires effort to feed/care and keep them happy/healthy.

Potions and salves, in the spirit of ancient lore.

And the character's stats should be played on heavily. Stone age and cavemen were physically extreme, and that should be a part of game play. But not the godlike skills in many games. It should not be like in a super hero game.

Once upon a time....

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    @Amaranthar I think you've hit the nail on the head. I had similar thoughts on the game play elements. 

When I think of a Cave Man MMO I think of it as a sandbox pvp/pve survival game with a heavy focus on crafting and survival. I think this would be an interesting concept if done right.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It could be fun. I think a Planet of the Apes mmo could capture that and bring in some additional elements. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    My main problem is I don't trust people enough to help me build things. A game would have to be accessible to an individual to really grab my attention, which is why I've pretty much forgotten ARK now.
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I agree with most of what has been said so far but for the love of god no bloody dinosaurs ,plenty of other options Mammoths ,sabre tooths ,Dire wolves etc 
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    Yeah I wouldn't want dinosaurs either. I was thinking thousands of years ago... not millions. IDK, just not that into dinosaurs. There's other wildlife that's dangerous enough.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    to be fair despite the conversations in other threads regarding what is or is not an MMO I do have to say that if I was buiding a game I would not build an MMO. I would make it similar to Elite where the meta data for the universe is collected from both single player and multiplayer and thus impacts on the universe made based on that data. I wold also think about private server support

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I might enjoy a parallell universe / mythologically based primitive age. An example would be Robert E. Howard's Hyborian age, after the sinking of Atlantis when mankind devolves. Like a stone age taking place amidst the ruins of more advanced but even more ancient and weird fallen civilizations, with demons and dark powers. Or take one or a mix of any of the old mythologies and make a setting based on them, set way back in time imagined as if the myths were true: gods walking the earth, heroic deeds, terrible beasts, magic(?) and human sacrifice in the times when the oldest and strangest monuments we know were raised.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Eronakis said:
    @Amaranthar I think you've hit the nail on the head. I had similar thoughts on the game play elements. 

When I think of a Cave Man MMO I think of it as a sandbox pvp/pve survival game with a heavy focus on crafting and survival. I think this would be an interesting concept if done right.

You lost me at PVP survival....
    I agree with most of what has been said so far but for the love of god no bloody dinosaurs ,plenty of other options Mammoths ,sabre tooths ,Dire wolves etc 
    That would be cool too. But no taming of such giants, only normal sized animals.
    Maybe add in a large flightless bird too. Which could be a mount if the game goes that route.

Once upon a time....

Zen00 said:
    My main problem is I don't trust people enough to help me build things. A game would have to be accessible to an individual to really grab my attention, which is why I've pretty much forgotten ARK now.
    That would be a problem.
    Personally, if a game has PvP it needs to have good reasons to not do it. Maybe a steeper death penalty for attackers.
    I do think such a game could use some grit to it, though. But not necessarily.

Once upon a time....

edited March 2016
    User836 said:
    I might enjoy a parallell universe / mythologically based primitive age. An example would be Robert E. Howard's Hyborian age, after the sinking of Atlantis when mankind devolves. Like a stone age taking place amidst the ruins of more advanced but even more ancient and weird fallen civilizations, with demons and dark powers. Or take one or a mix of any of the old mythologies and make a setting based on them, set way back in time imagined as if the myths were true: gods walking the earth, heroic deeds, terrible beasts, magic(?) and human sacrifice in the times when the oldest and strangest monuments we know were raised.
    I'm a big Howard fan. THAT would be a cool game. If it's done as an advanced Sandbox.
    Gorilla men in red robes in an ancient ruins? Too cool.

Once upon a time....

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    I wanna crush someone's head with a rock.
    -Chuckles
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    A cave man MMO would be cool if it was made into a battle of the species type thing. Humans wouldn't be the only playable race. There would be Neanderthals, Homo Erectus, and Devisovans as well as humans as playable races.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Im not sure if its calssified as a MMO but isn't ARK Survival pretty much a cave man mmo?
  • nomotagnomotag Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Im not sure if its calssified as a MMO but isn't ARK Survival pretty much a cave man mmo?
    It is, if you use the primitive mod.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    By stone wall I hope you mean, pile of rocks.  Stone age crafters didn't have cement at the time.  Rope?  I hope you mean Strips of leather that quickly rot away if not tanned.

Notice the lack of Hard aggregate, this is where you will find flint.  Flint is one less in hardness than diamond.  It was used to make knives.  What this chart tells me is there were few knives and mostly pointy sticks.  Flint was the diamond and gold of the stone age, very rare.  The age was in fact the Wood Age, but the wood didn't survive to modern times.  So there is no evidence of it.

Yes a cave man MMO would be cool.  But unless you watch the History channel, the game play may be surprising.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I'm sure we would all look forward to clubbing our future wife and dragging her back to the cave
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Novusod said:
    A cave man MMO would be cool if it was made into a battle of the species type thing. Humans wouldn't be the only playable race. There would be Neanderthals, Homo Erectus, and Devisovans as well as humans as playable races.
    The filthy Cro-Magnons will die this time around.  I swear it by the teeth of the Great Cave Bear Spirit!
    Tarzan know where Tarzan go!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• olderthandirt77olderthandirt77 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I doubt cave men trusted strangers any more than I do strangers in ANY survival game, hence my reluctance to play them.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I'd love an mmo based on dawn of the cities. When cities hadn't become cities yet, so groups of people started to craft tools to sell (trade) to farmers, then they built settlements, then the wars began so they had to build walls and everything. 
    Full sandboxes with player made factions of villages and cities, the formation of civilization. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nah i don't think would be good enough.The game that actually came to mind right away was Darkfall lmao.
    I have not got into any of these primitive survival games ,to me they only look like some cheap budgetware design from a small Indie developer.

Not sure i could see the enjoyment of sticks n stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

HEY BUDDY,nice loin cloth ....snickers.

Oh yeah,well nice slippers dude,did your cave mom make them for you?

Hey never mind,these are genuine Gucci Teradactyl slippers.

Oh my bad,sorry then ,i thought they were made from diseased porcupine pelts.

Ahh it's ok,i wouldn't expect a primitive to understand anyway.
    Well yeah at least i passed my counting to 3 sticks exam,while  you were failing the gather 2 stones test.

Oh yeah ..oh yeah.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2016
    Konfess said:
    By stone wall I hope you mean, pile of rocks.  Stone age crafters didn't have cement at the time.  Rope?  I hope you mean Strips of leather that quickly rot away if not tanned.

Notice the lack of Hard aggregate, this is where you will find flint.  Flint is one less in hardness than diamond.  It was used to make knives.  What this chart tells me is there were few knives and mostly pointy sticks.  Flint was the diamond and gold of the stone age, very rare.  The age was in fact the Wood Age, but the wood didn't survive to modern times.  So there is no evidence of it.

Yes a cave man MMO would be cool.  But unless you watch the History channel, the game play may be surprising.
    There's a wide range of "stone age" technology. Rope is in the stone age. I don't know if "cave men" had it, depending on what sort of "cave man" is being envisioned.

When I wrote the post you are responding to, I wasn't really thinking of a reality as far as an era. I was trying to come up with an interesting game. I don't think a good game would want to be strictly limited to a reality, just heavily based off of a vision of a reality.

If you're talking about a "wood age", as far as rope goes, didn't you watch "Cast Away"? =)

I was surprised at the idea that flint is almost as hard as diamond. So I looked it up.
    No, it's rated a 7 on the Mohs scale.
    Diamond is, of course, a 10.
    But it surprised me that steel is rated only at 4-4.5.
    So flint is harder than steel.
    But I think the chipping factor (brittleness) is much different as far as a rating system goes, as the Mohs system is more about scratching.
    Interesting.

Once upon a time....

Konfess said:

What this chart tells me is there were few knives and mostly pointy sticks. 
    That's the sort of loot I end up with in most games anyway.