Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO or GW2 Heart of Thorns?

SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
I am having a 3 month break from ESO & GW2 (playing WoW) and i m thinking of coming back to one of them. I m between buying the GW2 expansion or put a 2 month sub in ESO to play the latest DLC. What do you think as the best to do right now? I like both games almost equal.
Thank you.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

Comments

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    ESO is a solid game atm GW2 was a better game overall before HoT
  • donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    edited March 2016
    I am a MAJOR fan of both games. We are alike.

While I still like GW2 vanilla content stay away from HoT. it is frustrating and overly difficult to if you want a nice, relaxing solo evening.

ESO has done nothing but improve since it started. I do love the GW2 new targeting system, so I am on the fence myself.
  • StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Salute said:
    I am having a 3 month break from ESO & GW2 (playing WoW) and i m thinking of coming back to one of them. I m between buying the GW2 expansion or put a 2 month sub in ESO to play the latest DLC. What do you think as the best to do right now? I like both games almost equal.
    Thank you.
    Depends what you like,

ESO DLC will give you 20h of story, one new big zone, single player challenge arena, 2 public dungeons;

GW2 HoT will give you immersive story, several outstandoing vertical locatons, surpisely good raid (with tank/heal/dps), elite specalisation for all classes, flying, progression after 80lvl - masteries, group content, guild halls, new profession - revenant, etc; 

For me - no doubts, HoT gave me much more value/content, 
    but decide yourself what you like more.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I prefer GW2 in that it's more flexible then ESO.  ESO you have to deal with inventory space management to a big degree.  Paying for respects.  No auction house.  GW2 lots of inventory for crafting. Respect as much as you want, get xp when you rez a downed player which encourages the community to help strangers.  Gliding.  Not a lot of stuff gets broken after an update. Access to the auction house from your utilities ui, which means very easy to sell your drops.You can just spend more time playing the game then managing the game with GW2.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Both are great games however I really dislike ESO's battlefields. The one thing that I dislike with GW2 was with the HoT release were the idiotic elite weapons for certain classes. Depending on the class, you'll get an elite weapon that doesn't fit with your current builds. Oh wow suddenly I get to use a off-hand focus instead of a staff. 
  • Nicco77Nicco77 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    ESO is too much gear based,if I should make a choice now between buying HOT or the ESO dlc I would buy HOT.
    GW2 has also better combat and class system a real auction house plus a better crafting(in ESO you can't make jewels and accessories),anyway in the end they both fails to keep my attention in the long run so I won't buy their exp or DLCs.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    StarS0ft said:
    Salute said:
    Thank you.
    Depends what you like,

ESO DLC will give you 20h of story, one new big zone, single player challenge arena, 2 public dungeons;

GW2 HoT will give you immersive story, several outstandoing vertical locatons, surpisely good raid (with tank/heal/dps), elite specalisation for all classes, flying, progression after 80lvl - masteries, group content, guild halls, new profession - revenant, etc; 

For me - no doubts, HoT gave me much more value/content, 
    but decide yourself what you like more.

No, an ESO sub will give him 3 DLC, Imperial City (huge), Wrothfar (huge), Thieves Guild. Many public dungeons and delves 4 man dungeons, a raid, single player arena, massive pvp dungeon and more. There's at least 50 hours of story and much more content.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    You have played both and obviously like them both.

Is cost an issue? Maybe not but for ESO have you considered buying crowns rather than a subscription? The DLC costs 2,000 crowns. Whilst you would get 3,000 crowns via the subscription you could buy 3,000 for the about cost of 1 month and 5,500 for 50% more - less than the cost of 2 months sub.

Which is a roundabout way of saying have you considered getting both? 

Otherwise maybe HoT now as there has been lots of timr to add polish (although it was a polished release) and this will allow time for TG to be "polished".