Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Olympus to pay $646 mn for bribing hospitals, doctors

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Olympus to pay $646 mn for bribing hospitals, doctors

The US unit of Japan's camera and hospital equipment maker Olympus agreed to pay $646 million Tuesday to settle charges it gave hospitals and doctors kickbacks to buy its endoscopes.

To boost its sales, Olympus Corp. of the Americas gave free trips to Japan to doctors who got their hospital to buy Olympus equipment; it gave a financial grant to another hospital in exchange for a sale; and it blocked a grant to another hospital until it agreed to buy Olympus equipment, the US Justice Department said.

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-olympus-million-probes.html#jCp

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    It's not a kickback, it's a bundled deal. Olympus is both a medical device supplier and travel agent.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Cleffy said:
    It's not a kickback, it's a bundled deal. Olympus is both a medical device supplier and travel agent.
    lol
  • kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717
    I haye to say this but,  Who Cares.   
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    kb4blu said:
    I haye to say this but,  Who Cares.   
    lots of people

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2016
    The USA government is on a nationwide sweep with lawsuits.There is nothign mroe than an agenda to stir up money.
    They also sued the makers of Advair a heavily used  Asthma spray and Atenolol the most used pill in the world  which is used for High Blood pressure.Same scenario bribes and kick back.Problem is that consumers have known this for years and of course so has the government but only now they decided they need some cash flow.

Furthermore is these pharmaceuticles do their own testing,provide the government THEIR paper work,of course it is going to be filled with lies and doctored paper work.

But wait i am not done yet,after the government or FDA sues these giants,NOBODY goes to jail for illegal activity.All this is doing is exchanging some of that wealth from the greedy corrupt businesses into government hands.
    It is sort of like here's some beer money,how's the wife and children,oh good,ok cya next year to collect some more money.People that break the law should be going to jail,but nope,they have their get out jail free cards ...aka $$$$$.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    When it comes to testing pharmaceuticals, I would prefer private businesses to do the testing. Companies like the IIHS, electronic compliance companies, and consumer advocacy groups tend to do a better job weeding out defects in a timely manner. The FDA for instance has a 10 year backlog unless you start bribing administrators. These compliance companies also usually pay for themselves since other parties rely on their certifications to make accurate calls on things like liability.