Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dawn & Rise of Agon Side-By-Side Interview

2»

Comments

• DrauhkarDrauhkar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I'm thrilled about this opportunity to set foot in Agon again. Darkfall, even with its flaws, was still the best gaming experience I've ever had. I hope people give it a chance and try it out.
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674

Xarko said:

Is this some kind of running joke Im not getting? Seems like different studios are competing to make the worst MMO ever and Darkfall name is a sort of contestant's badge.

I think you can take a look at the comments and judge for yourself what people think about the game. For me, Darkfall ruined MMOs for me, since there's no game out there like it. Black Desert brought some really nice aspects to the genre, but it is definitely lacking in PvP in comparison.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    edited March 2016
    Neither of the two have mentioned what physics era of Darkfall they'll adopt? There was a time a certain group of spells when cast and aimed right would shoot you forward, and you could bunny hop along like tribes game skiing, it was fun element that you could master to use in battles, but AV changed it. The user interface is another area that needs a lot of work! One company did mentioned something about not needing macros, which is good. If they don't upgrade the UI, then you'll need Autohotkey to make the game playable. Not to mention the cheating aspect Autohotkey brings with macros that makes you attack by just putting your cursor on the enemy.
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    XAleX360 said:

Ikisis said:

I played Darkfall off and on for years. The redeeming qualities that it happens to have are purely by complete and utter accident. There was a chance for it to develop into a great game, but it never happened, and the ship sailed a long time ago. Having said that, I wish all involved the best of luck.

You say the ship sailed.

Name one title due out in 2017 with this feature list??

The Repopulation, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained. Not exactly the same, granted, but all of them have sandbox elements.
    Leave out CU and Repopulation, because they are point & click, no player skills, just smashing button with a locked on targeting system.

Darkfall, Crowfall, Revival and maybe COE have a true fps aim with physics where positioning and tactic is mandatory, no matter how good you are, if you suck you will lose even with the best gear.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79

IAmMMO said:

Neither of the two have mentioned what physics era of Darkfall they'll adopt? There was a time a certain group of spells when cast and aimed right would shoot you forward, and you could bunny hop along like tribes game skiing, it was fun element that you could master to use in battles, but AV changed it.

The user interface is another area that needs a lot of work! One company did mentioned something about not needing macros, which is good. If they don't upgrade the UI, then you'll need Autohotkey to make the game playable.

Not to mention the cheating aspect Autohotkey brings with macros that makes you attack by just putting your cursor on the enemy.

DnD will make bunny hopping working in all directions BUT with death penalties, so you can't endlessy abuse it and run for the whole map 10 times more fast than a mount.

The user interface will be tweaked, and a new bind 1h weapon + shiled button added.

Mount combat will be also mouse directional so more practical.

The need to use scripts and macros will be partically minimized to ZERO.

The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited March 2016

kdchan said:

IAmMMO said:

Neither of the two have mentioned what physics era of Darkfall they'll adopt? There was a time a certain group of spells when cast and aimed right would shoot you forward, and you could bunny hop along like tribes game skiing, it was fun element that you could master to use in battles, but AV changed it.

The user interface is another area that needs a lot of work! One company did mentioned something about not needing macros, which is good. If they don't upgrade the UI, then you'll need Autohotkey to make the game playable.

Not to mention the cheating aspect Autohotkey brings with macros that makes you attack by just putting your cursor on the enemy.

DnD will make bunny hopping working in all directions BUT with death penalties, so you can't endlessy abuse it and run for the whole map 10 times more fast than a mount.

The user interface will be tweaked, and a new bind 1h weapon + shiled button added.

Mount combat will be also mouse directional so more practical.

The need to use scripts and macros will be partically minimized to ZERO.

As a DFUWer, I'm concerned about coming up with a way to hotkey every skill in the game. New Dawn definitely sounds like the more promising of the two. Also the game will need territory control (like DFUW) as soon as they can get it out. I'm definitely looking forward to the larger more involved world in DFO. I'm also hoping the graphics won't be too big of a deterrent for those new to the franchise. Hopfully there will be ways to improve them a bit.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Darkfall was an awesome game, warts and all. I had four accounts which all got wiped for DFUW. For that reason, I am going to wait and see. But I definitely hope these guys can make it. I think it's going to be tough for two groups to compete over one niche game market, though. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    edited March 2016
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    edited March 2016
    i'm going to try both, but it does seem to me that New Dawn is kinda aiming specifically for Eve crossovers. Which suits me and other Eve players very well. I wouldnt be surprised to see it do well when it's released, assuming it's not full of bugs, etc etc.

I hope they both hit a home run.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    itchmon said:
    i'm going to try both, but it does seem to me that New Dawn is kinda aiming specifically for Eve crossovers. Which suits me and other Eve players very well. I wouldnt be surprised to see it do well when it's released, assuming it's not full of bugs, etc etc.

I hope they both hit a home run.
    Ill be buying and staying subbed to both projects out of principle. 
    Nothing else comes close to Darkfall its ruined the genre for me.

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Darkfall online is the best mmorpg I have played; despite all its flaws and the team managing it. That being said I am stoked that 2 vying companies are trying to improve those flaws and make the game into what we all know it was capable of. Lets just hope at least 1 of them can sucessfully do so.

Personally I want to play ROA because it is closest to what I remember and not changing combat as much, but DND is adding elements I want in DFO racial wars ect.

For those of you that missed out on DFO(Not unholywars turd) be sure to try it and see why many of us that played it fell in love with it and ruin the genre because we know what it is capable of.

MurderHerd

• ThaliostThaliost Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Great interview and idea Suzie Ford :)

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall Clan: http://immortals-online.eu/

Read my "funny" DF1 blog: http://casualdarkfall.blogspot.com

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Mardukk said:
    Ikisis said:
    So glad Darkfall is coming back, Best mmorpg ever created.

I do find it funny that the same people who complain about all the WoW clones and genre being limited to just that, Talk so much trash on games that are actually different.
    It blows my mind, and is hilarious.
    Make up your mind want something different? or more of the same?
    This.  And the negative comments typically come from people that haven't played either Darkfall.  

Nonsense, our entire guild attempted this game several times, it was always just a piece of crap.  Just outright bad design.  Heck even the older pvp games were far better.

If you think Darkfall was good, you have not played any of the good pvp games ever!

Personally I think both companies will fold, there is just not enough interest in a game that was at best mediocre and I don't think either company has the talent to reverse that problem
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    edited March 2016
    had some major major flaws (most critical being the worst UI/interface of all-time), but it was by far my fave MMO. both teams intend to improve the UI/interface greatly, and that is an extremely attainable goal. they sure couldn't make it any worse. :)

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited January 2017
    Late to this comment party, but I've picked up and am in InDev for ND. It's great being back in Agon again. Always loved this world, and loved the concepts/ideals behind it. Aventurine created a great foundation for an Open-World War-based PvP MMO... they just didn't have the "oopmh" needed to completely see it through. And then they got distracted by trying to re-release it as DFUW, which didn't quite work either.

I'm excited to see where this goes! Hope to see all the folks opting for ND in-game, which ever side of my sword ya happen to be on!

One thing I hope ND does is to make traveling across the continent a bit faster/easier. Why? Because as fun as it is, DF is going to be very niche, and have a very small player-base (relatively speaking). In a PvP-centric MMORPG, people are the content. And when the content is scattered all over the map, with untold miles between them, and the fastest means to get there is on a mount, assuming you have one, then that makes "getting to the action" very slow and arduous.

For a game of its type, and population, I always felt Darkfall's world was far too huge. It could take way too long to get where the action was. 10 minutes, tops, I would say, is all it should take from the time someone is aware of a conflict going on, and being able to get to it and join in themselves. Conversely, getting from one place to another in DF could take 30+ minutes. That's way too long in a game based around the unpredictability of PvP combat.

Rather than shrink the world, which would be an absurdly involved task, implement an open teleportation system. Have the waypoints connect to one another, or perhaps form a "web" between them, within each territory. Asheron's Call 2 had this system of "Ring Ways" which were awesome, I thought. They were a series of portals that would take you around in a loop. Along the loop, there would be portals which were part of a connecting ringway, so you could hop on that one, like getting off an exit from one highway to another. It wasn't instantaneous "A to B", and you had to learn how to get around them, but it made traversing the otherwise massive world a lot more manageable.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Late to this comment party, but I've picked up and am in InDev for ND. It's great being back in Agon again. Always loved this world, and loved the concepts/ideals behind it. Aventurine created a great foundation for an Open-World War-based PvP MMO... they just didn't have the "oopmh" needed to completely see it through. And then they got distracted by trying to re-release it as DFUW, which didn't quite work either.

I'm excited to see where this goes! Hope to see all the folks opting for ND in-game, which ever side of my sword ya happen to be on!

One thing I hope ND does is to make traveling across the continent a bit faster/easier. Why? Because as fun as it is, DF is going to be very niche, and have a very small player-base (relatively speaking). In a PvP-centric MMORPG, people are the content. And when the content is scattered all over the map, with untold miles between them, and the fastest means to get there is on a mount, assuming you have one, then that makes "getting to the action" very slow and arduous.

For a game of its type, and population, I always felt Darkfall's world was far too huge. It could take way too long to get where the action was. 10 minutes, tops, I would say, is all it should take from the time someone is aware of a conflict going on, and being able to get to it and join in themselves. Conversely, getting from one place to another in DF could take 30+ minutes. That's way too long in a game based around the unpredictability of PvP combat.

Rather than shrink the world, which would be an absurdly involved task, implement an open teleportation system. Have the waypoints connect to one another, or perhaps form a "web" between them, within each territory. Asheron's Call 2 had this system of "Ring Ways" which were awesome, I thought. They were a series of portals that would take you around in a loop. Along the loop, there would be portals which were part of a connecting ringway, so you could hop on that one, like getting off an exit from one highway to another. It wasn't instantaneous "A to B", and you had to learn how to get around them, but it made traversing the otherwise massive world a lot more manageable.

The long travel times are good: They ensure PvP happens on roads and they help solo players to be safe when playing at the edges of the world.

By the way, why did you chose New Dawn over Rise of Argon? I can't choose between them.

They say that RoA is more PvP focused and ND wants more diversity of playstyles, but I haven't come across any significant difference.

I wish somebody would make a table of comparisons.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Xarko said:
    Is this some kind of running joke Im not getting? Seems like different studios are competing to make the worst MMO ever and Darkfall name is a sort of contestant's badge.
    Pretty much how i see it.You can't take a low budget very limited weak game and all of a sudden new low budget owners take over and fix it?This is not going   anywhere fast and to me personally,i see them exactly like Aventurine,people with not enough money to make a game so they see a cheap way into the industry ,it will end up the same old wannabe game.

Here is a little hint.....The giant Final Fantasy franchise aka Square Enix has a LOT more money than these guys and they almost lost their shirt trying to remotely fix that game and they had a much bigger player base to rely on.Having said that,Square did VERY little to fix the game,the core structure remains,yet it still cost them nearly their entire business.Point being neither one of these teams have a snowball chance in hell of turning the game into a triple A game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Chrisbox said:
    Xarko said:

To be honest the most common complaint within darkfall was the fact that Aventurine was behind it.  Aventurine couldn't pull their heads out of their arses but if either of these two companies are thinking clearly then theres a chance they'll end up with an interesting title that people will play. 
    The most common compliant of most everyone that QUIT which is the most important comment because everyone I knew that played it quit for this reason,  was the mindless Free for all Full Loot rule set which had you spending 50% of your time farming mats getting killed and giving 25% of them away, 40% of the time staring at your bank or hanging out waiting for a group or recovering from death and if your lucky10% of your time actually PvPing until you die and giving everything away to someone else 50% of the time.   Repeate  process.

Neither developers are addressing this as its still the "core" game mechanics of both remakes.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited January 2017
    The problem here is we have the exact issue Adventurine had, no decent fiscal backing.  The chances of any success here is very limited just for that reason.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Ozmodan said:
    Darkfall was a horrible game.  People who think this was a great pvp game never played a decent pvp game, even old UO owned Darkfall.  DAoC owned Darkfall, Asheron's Call owned Darkfall.  I could go on and on.

Trying to emulate Darkfall is a losing proposition to start with.  Take it from someone who has pvped longer than most of you, neither of these attempts at resurrecting Darkfall have addressed it's major issues.  Even many of the newer indie sandboxes are much better.

You're the bestest! 

I doubt any of us will play any PVP mmo until you have given it your approval. 

All hail Ozmodan. 

Sound pathetic doesn't it, reminds of the the post I'm quoting. 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Ozmodan said:
    Darkfall was a horrible game.  People who think this was a great pvp game never played a decent pvp game, even old UO owned Darkfall.  DAoC owned Darkfall, Asheron's Call owned Darkfall.  I could go on and on.

Trying to emulate Darkfall is a losing proposition to start with.  Take it from someone who has pvped longer than most of you, neither of these attempts at resurrecting Darkfall have addressed it's major issues.  Even many of the newer indie sandboxes are much better.

You're the bestest! 

I doubt any of us will play any PVP mmo until you have given it your approval. 

All hail Ozmodan. 

Sound pathetic doesn't it, reminds of the the post I'm quoting. 
    Oz is right though, its a broken mix of PvE and PvP.  The PvP though fun when you can stay alive long enough to enjoy it is short lived compared to the amount of time you spend preparing for it.  The PvE I actually like but again the people that like the PvE in general cant effectively participate in the PvP with any real success, so they quit, there are better games for PvE.  The people really good at PvP only PvE for mats and gold.  

If you think about that for a minute you might understand what most of us already know, it just isn't sustainable.