Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"justify the $60"

13»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    i dont get people anymore. why are games being judged on whether or not they are worth the $60 price tag? personally, if i enjoy the game or think i will then i buy it. $60 isnt much when you think about it. its barely a full tank of gas. maybe its just me but ever since this f2p crap started people now always want more for less. no matter how good a game is, the question i see most often is is it worth the $60? thats one day at a restaurant with the family. so let me see, 1 family meal at a restaurant or a new game? hmmm....... 
    and yet people will be in heated debates for hours and weeks on end over the affected 400 players on a $.99 cent game that was a scam in Early Access

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    CrazKanuk said:
    I totally agree. $60 is actually pretty trivial. For my family, that's actually a trip to McDonald's.
    Holy Cow!  Do you have 12 kids? 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    60$ is a lot ... do u guys talking about consoles? because PC gaming has always been 40-45$ and thats "ok"

however i still think DIGITAL games should be cheaper than retail...we dont get a box , discs or instruccions...yet we still pay the same , i havent bought a retail game since .....ugh cant remember...is far more easy going to steam , gog or any store , buy it and u have it instantly , download it and play....

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2016
    If you cannot afford to pay for a game when it comes out just wait and get it when the price goes down. Simple solution to the price is too high folks. I cannot get why people have to get upset because the price is not to their liking and even go as far as to call it extortion(another thread). We who paid full price get to play sooner.That's the way the cookie crumbles.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think the gaming demographic has changed considerably over the last 10 years.  10 years ago, every 7 year old in the US did not have access to a PC or console system.  People rented console games and purchased used console games and only the very dedicated or mid-income families owned a computer.  Fast forward to today's world and everyone has one and has access to many free to play games so that $60 price tag can look a bit silly.

When you look at the cost of computer games over time though, you will see the games have not gone up in price very much in decades.  Brand new AAA games in the 80's were selling for $40 so 30 years later to see them priced at $60 seems a bit low to me.  That low $60 cost has caused issues, as a result of the low pricing, game companies have had to resort to other revenue streams and removed our ability to make our own maps or in some cases even release a complete game (Destiny)

I dont have an issue with the $60 price and honestly if it meant we could start making our own maps and have more individual control over our servers, I would be happy to pay more.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I am the type who doesn't pay $60 for games. I live alone, and have a good person that I absolutely love....and even that person agrees that $60 is way too much. 

First off, $60 does not even get you the full game anymore. Thanks to all the Exclusivity deals, one can never get everything in a content package. If you do buy the game, relax.....there is going to be so much DLC that later on if you want to buy all the DLC, you will be slapped in the face when a Game of the year edition comes out to be cheaper.

Dragon Age Inquisition was an example of this.... I bought the game when it came out. It was expensive, but I wanted to continue playing Dragon Age. Then each DLC came out and it was expensive. Now if I want to play all the DLC I have to "BUY THE GAME AGAIN (GoTY) edition for $40...

A person enters paying $60 for a game, comes out spending over $100 easy. Some games the people will spend $150+ like if you buy a Collectors Edition + Season Pass (Black Ops III anyone?) etc. It costs me $20 - $30 a week to buy food for myself. What some people pay to buy games, i literally can spend in buying over a month's worth of food...

My Electric Bill is around $60 a month.....
    My Water bill is around $20 - 30 a month....
    My Gas Bill is around $50 - $80 a month (depending on the month/season)...

I find that $60 for a buggy game is too much. 
    I rather wait until a game drops to $30 and I can get most of the DLC for it.....
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    The OP sort of has this in mind: one $60.00 game gets you anywhere from 50-1000 hours of playtime. one dinner at mid class resturant for two:$50.00 one ticket to a themepark for ~12 hours of rollercosters and vomit:+$80.00 one night with friends at the bars: $40.00-$200.00 It's all discretionary income. most gamers are just cheap asses, in college, or they're balls haven't dropped. point is video games have huge value based on how much time you WANT to invest in them. he's just trying to make it relate to other things you pay for with money that's not for bills or food.
  • KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Cecropia said:
    Cecropia said:
    $60 barely a full tank of gas? Come to NJ, last time i checked a full tank is about $20 bucks give or take.
    $20 bucks for a tank? What do you drive?

I've spent $75 to fill up my daily driver Buick Regal in the not so distant past. The last time I filled up a tank for that kind of money was with my first car (Honda Civic) back in 1997. 
    a trusty '96 H. Accord. My dad has a Buick Sable and i dont think he spends that much ($75) to fill it up either.
    I guess it's another case of Ohhhh Canada. 

Also, '96 Accord; wise ride. You'll get your mileage out of that. 
    Gas is about $1.50/gal in Arkansas and Louisiana, and pretty comparable in other areas of the south - and evidently NJ, as well, though I sort of imagined it would be a bit more for service charges?

So $20 per tank is about the norm, but the US is famous (notorious?) for lower gas prices.

It really just goes to show that comparisons like that in a discussion like this have little meaning.  Game prices are disgustingly universal, with little regard to currency values, and there are few other comparable things that I can think of that maintain a steady price through various currencies.
    oh my god I cant believe this conversation has gotten down to adjusted for inflation gas prices...

what the hell?

yes for what you get $60 is cheap. Although for me its a non-issue because I dont even like those games, I tend to like games that run around $20. not BECAUSE they are $20 but becuase they are indies

• KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119
    SEANMCAD said:
    oh my god I cant believe this conversation has gotten down to adjusted for inflation gas prices...

what the hell?

yes for what you get $60 is cheap. Although for me its a non-issue because I dont even like those games, I tend to like games that run around $20. not BECAUSE they are $20 but becuase they are indies
    "gotten down to"

The OP references gas prices.  It's hardly "gotten down to" anything.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    It used to cost 70 dollars for 8 and 16 bit games.  Now games have a lot more work put into them with things like voice overs, multi-player, animators, etc. and still cost about the same or less.  So I think its okay.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited March 2016
    Talonsin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    I totally agree. $60 is actually pretty trivial. For my family, that's actually a trip to McDonald's.
    No, only 4, all boys, but 2 are teenagers, so we usually go out for dinner, order a meal, plus an extra burger, then they save room to have a bowl of cereal as a "snack" when they get home. Yay! 

Oh yeah! While we're on the subject of console games, specifically, PS4 has an option for a master/slave system per user, so if I buy a digital game, my son and I can both play at the same time. My system = my slave, his system = my master. So that's a super bonus. Additionally, my other son who also has a PS4 can play as me on his PS4. Yes, he would need to play as me, but for something that has multiple character slots, it doesn't work out too badly. 

In a case where he absolutely wants his own and all three want to play at once, then we need to buy another copy. Still cheaper than PC games the way they get used around our house. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    My main problem with game prices is the amount of content we get. Go back 10-15 years and we regularly had games that deliverd 30+ hours of play without the side missions, this was just the main story. Now we're lucky if we get 10 hours.

Seems to me we're paying more for less. Today's games are also a lot more linear and scripted and, dare I say it, easier.
    My main problem with game prices is the amount of content we get. Go back 10-15 years and we regularly had games that deliverd 30+ hours of play without the side missions, this was just the main story. Now we're lucky if we get 10 hours.

Seems to me we're paying more for less. Today's games are also a lot more linear and scripted and, dare I say it, easier.
    indie

all the answers to your problems are in the indie market. I am telling you guys you have no idea what you are missing with games like Space Engineers

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Not necessarily. Platformers were artificially inflated due to difficulty. Having to redo a level 100 times doesn't make more content. I could finish Mario Bros in less than 10 minutes if I really wanted to. 

I'm ok with 10 hours, as long as it's solid content. I honestly don't mind the COD, etc. Probably because I'm a filthy casual now. However, I do have my other games like Divinity (70+ hours), Fallout 4, WoW, etc., etc. 

I think that the 30+ hour story games were just as infrequent as they are today. We just think they were more common. 

Actually, platformers like Little Big Planet offer unlimited hours. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Two points: Games are roughly 20% more expensive than back in 1995 when I started gaming on the PC.

And FTP shit is at an all time high with purchasable stuff.  Pick and choose wisely.  I would rather spend $60.00 buck or more on something I'll play for an extended period of time, or has a solo experience that is immersive and amazing, but for me I usually wait for a sale or 6-12 months after release.  I'm not saying I haven't unloaded my wallet on something like Mechwarrior Online(~800) or HEX (~600) but I've also played those for the past two to three years. 

I think the last solo experience game I bought out of the gate was actually Dragon Age Origins, prior to that it must of be a couple games a year for a while.  The last MMO I spent quality time in was TSW.  Nothing since that have I spent more than a couple weeks in.  I think Indie developed titles are a solid way to go, get a pile of games on Steam during a sale for 50 bucks and figure out what you want to roll.
    kilun said:
    Two points: Games are roughly 20% more expensive than back in 1995 when I started gaming on the PC.

And FTP shit is at an all time high with purchasable stuff.  Pick and choose wisely.  I would rather spend $60.00 buck or more on something I'll play for an extended period of time, or has a solo experience that is immersive and amazing, but for me I usually wait for a sale or 6-12 months after release.  I'm not saying I haven't unloaded my wallet on something like Mechwarrior Online(~800) or HEX (~600) but I've also played those for the past two to three years. 

I think the last solo experience game I bought out of the gate was actually Dragon Age Origins, prior to that it must of be a couple games a year for a while.  The last MMO I spent quality time in was TSW.  Nothing since that have I spent more than a couple weeks in.  I think Indie developed titles are a solid way to go, get a pile of games on Steam during a sale for 50 bucks and figure out what you want to roll.
    not that I am advertising but I am.

Try 7 Days to DIe, you will sh*t your pants and be reborn as a gamer. I think I have 700 hours in that game now

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NeverForgetLoveNeverForgetLove Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited March 2016
    Games that are getting hyped over weeks, months and maybe even years tend to be as much overpriced, while barely meeting the expectations build on the promises that made the hype grow once released. Gameplay, graphics, story, playtime, stability, atmosphere, music, video scenes and several other quality aspects are as bad as one would expect from low budget games. These games just serve one purpose: grabbing money, and not fulfilling anyone's promises or wishes.
    (The trick is as old as humanity, when people sold plain water or other plain things as miracle cures able to make blind people see and old and broken people healthy again, for high prices.)

Games that are more or less unknown to the crowd until it hits the release lights, untouched by bold marketing lies often become really good, sometimes even masterpieces without demanding that ridiculously high prices which in these cases would be very reasonable. Really astonishing how often such low budget games are made of very high quality that one would expect from the high budget games.

There is also the opposite of what I mentioned above, though since about a decade this is getting really really rare in the gaming industry.

Long story short:

Rip-off mentality is not worth anything to me, and shouldn't be to anyone else, as well (even if money doesn't matter to the buyer). On the other side, Honesty and sincerity is always worth every cent no matter the price, cause its simply priceless in general.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, it's totally weird to question whether a product is worth what your paying for it.  Wha?

To clarify: A meal is guaranteed value.  You feed your family with it.  If you don't like a game, you're not going to play it, so it might not have any value at all.

Any consumer in their right mind researches products that may or may not have value before purchasing them.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    That fact that our games cost $30 to $60 USD in today's market is amazing. We should count ourselves lucky. Game prices have not increased with inflation as many things have. I remember paying $60 and $70 USD for N64 games

Fortunate maybe, but not lucky imho.

Lets face it, game development as a whole, seems to be a very lucrative industry. Young companies being sold and bought for billions of dollars. Being able to turn a profit doesn't seem to be a significant problem. Just the fact of the industry being able to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a single production speaks volumes.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Talonsin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Are you living near a Mcdonals that uses rat meat?
    A few meals at the Mac and you're usually down $60 pretty easily.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• mmorobommorobo Member UncommonPosts: 126
    This $60 conversation is just stupid.  There are games I would pay and have spent hundreds on.  There are $5 games that I ask if it is worth it.  There are AAA games that others love that you would have to pay me an hourly rate to play it.

It all comes down to what else could I be doing at what cost.