Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Immersion Protection

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
The recent discussion - about concerns some people have that someone may wear a tuxedo into a dungeon - got me thinking.

Back in the old days, many things were done to protect the game setting as a whole. There were restrictions for example on what you could name your character. There were restrictions on what you could name your guild. There were role play channels and there were restrictions on that (I think anyway, it's been a while). The point being the game had a fantasy setting and efforts were made to keep it that way. 

Most modern games have given up on that (except for trademark, hate speech, and a few things along those lines). If you want to be L33tsauce007 and a proud member of the <Big Troll Groin> guild, so be it.

My spidy sense tells me that Pantheon doesn't want those kinds of names used, and probably most players on these forums don't want them used either.

I would be in the minority. Not because I like those type names. To the contrary, I hate them. Therefore, people using those names helps me spot people I don't want to play with. It's better even than /ignore. 

What do you think that Pantheon should or should not do to protect the integrity of the game setting?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Absolutely.

I consider things like names a small thing, but still a no brainer. To me the important things are the elements of realism that make the world a believable place. Preserving the danger factor, and keeping out the gamey things that constantly remind you that you are merely playing a video game. Things like mobs leashing after moving X  yards from their spawn. Restrictions on what npcs you can and cannot attack. Excessive interactions with your UI windows rather than the world and its inhabitants. Those are the things I'm more concerned about.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    ReallyNow10 said:

If they still can't behave, send them to an FFA PVP server, hehe.
    This would be a good idea for many types of offenses. I have long felt like every game should have a penal colony server, to which the troublesome can be banished. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited March 2016
    Amathe said:
    The recent discussion - about concerns some people have that someone may wear a tuxedo into a dungeon - got me thinking.

Back in the old days, many things were done to protect the game setting as a whole. There were restrictions for example on what you could name your character. There were restrictions on what you could name your guild. There were role play channels and there were restrictions on that (I think anyway, it's been a while). The point being the game had a fantasy setting and efforts were made to keep it that way. 

Most modern games have given up on that (except for trademark, hate speech, and a few things along those lines). If you want to be L33tsauce007 and a proud member of the <Big Troll Groin> guild, so be it.

My spidy sense tells me that Pantheon doesn't want those kinds of names used, and probably most players on these forums don't want them used either.

I would be in the minority. Not because I like those type names. To the contrary, I hate them. Therefore, people using those names helps me spot people I don't want to play with. It's better even than /ignore. 

What do you think that Pantheon should or should not do to protect the integrity of the game setting?
    I'm all for immersion derived from gameplay, but I dont' think we should be draconian about what people name their characters or their guild or what the say. I've always been against that, even though I try to be in-character myself. I immediately dismiss a guild which names itself "Big Troll Groin" even if they have good members. I may snicker now and then when I see people named "Bigpisr", but when it comes to playing on a serious level, I don't want to be associated with them because htey make a joke of the game. Once or twice I did make an alt with a silly name just for fun, but as anything, I never took it seriously and didn't play that alt. So I think the overall common sense of the community will do just fine to curtail inappropriate things.

I've noticed roleplayers and roleplay servers in general ARE draconian about these sorts of things, like OOC and acting in-character and so on. I generally liked it when characters act in-character and tend to do it myself. But I don't like draconian rules. I said OOC things on many occasions and it's nice to get a snicker now and then from dumb names.

I don't think Pantheon is going to be nearly that tight. I have a feeling many people in these forums and elsewhere will be disappointed after the game has been released and going for a while. Chances are it might not even reach launch, given so many MMO's fail before getting out the door! But if it does make it, it'll not be as niche we all want it to be. I've been preparing myself for a long time. Maybe it's maturity. Either way, if it makes it, I'll play it, irregardless. I'm not sure whether it's because Brad is part of it or because of what he says it'll be. I know not to trust what game makers say. Games inevitably change, especially this early. You should expect major changes. I also know it's very hard for new niche MMO's to survive, since there're so many as there is and the population of niche gamers is small. It's understandable why they adopt mainstream features. If I were a game maker, I'd probably do it myself.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited March 2016
    Dullahan said:
    Absolutely.

I consider things like names a small thing, but still a no brainer. To me the important things are the elements of realism that make the world a believable place. Preserving the danger factor, and keeping out the gamey things that constantly remind you that you are merely playing a video game. Things like mobs leashing after moving X  yards from their spawn. Restrictions on what npcs you can and cannot attack. Excessive interactions with your UI windows rather than the world and its inhabitants. Those are the things I'm more concerned about.
    You spoke exactly what I didn't want to say. But I think we need to pull back and realize Pantheon will be what it will be. It'll be more niche than mainstream, but it'll be some mainstream too. It's hard for a new MMO to survive. Please understand that. Whatever occurs, we're all family. Lets not fight. I believe if Pantheon makes it, it'll be good enough.

EDIT: I do agree with you.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited March 2016
    As far as names go, I don't think a game like Pantheon will suffer much giving the nature of the game, and at least it is very easily controlled.
    Also, this is such a minor thing in a industry full of in game shops, voice chat or simply stuff that does not belong in a setting; for example motorcycles in high fantasy, references til real life persons, places, events, reindeer and santas etc.

An old dream of mine is that all names needs to be manually approved by a real person (GM) - Just another task for a game with active GMs that create a living world by events and smaller adjustments to break normality.. GM salary paid for with subscription (I know I would).
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Dullahan said:
    Absolutely.

I concur with this post and give it the Bitter Old Vet™ seal of approval.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I agree with you, amathe: names leave alone, with the exception of extreme offenders/special characters.  A name says a lot about a player. 

As for things that are directly introduced into the game like tuxedos - I would not like to see that. So many games make a beautiful zone where technology and setting themes are continuous and homogeneous.  I am always flabbergasted whenever they put items in the game that detract from that theme. I do not believe we will have to worry too much about this in Pantheon.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I dont think its worth policing. If its blatantly offensive and gets reported, sure, but anything more than character restrictions would be too much IMO. Not that I particularly think its a good thing to have someone with a "Leetsauce" name, its just policing that kind of thing would be a bit of an overstep, not to mention making mods jobs more difficult.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I think there is a fine line between names and immersion.  For example I have had the name Helzbelz as one of my Characters for go knows how long.  Some people are like, man that name sucks and shouldnt be allowed.  Others names I can see that shouldnt be allowed in a game Like SuKMyD~ck.  There is a line that needs to be drawn though.  AS for having a Tux on for a dungeon, that kind of BS also is like GTFO because honestly I dont want to deal with that as well.