Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Drops support for DX10 - players now frozen out of the game.

Comments

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    SEANMCAD said:
    josko9 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    josko9 said:
    tawess said:
    Yeah i hate to say to but if someone have a comp that can´t run DX11... it is time to upgrade. 

Especially as MS soon will cut all ties with pre Win10 tech as they move on to their WinHive model. =P 

you guys really should understand what give support really means.

my gamming pc I still run a win 7, not willing to use a win 10 too much garbage on that "free" system,and will only change if I want really hard to play a new game then won't support win 7(with I can change mod and the hell with it).

but still the problem here is a old game who was running ok with dx10 can't do it anymore for lazyness of the company, but hey if you think eso is so sucessfull they can bleed even more players, go ahead be a prick and defend a company who are just being lazy and kicking they own player base out
    Firstly ESO is definitively very successful, or it wouldn't be the best MMO for the past 2 years, and selling millions of copies on multiple platforms.

just for reference and I know its not the sum but on Steam its not very popular. The numbers of active players on steam in ESO is often rather low
    That's because ESO didn't release with Steam. 
    I know that...why do you think I said 'its not the sum'

I kinda misread that part, my fault. Either way I tried to point out that other MMOs have probably a far better ratio between the Steam player numbers to the Overall PC player numbers. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    SEANMCAD said:

josko9 said:

just for reference and I know its not the sum but on Steam its not very popular. The numbers of active players on steam in ESO is often rather low
     Right now ESO has 2.4k average players per month, 
    not sure I follow...7 days to die which is an indie early access titles has more than that many players pretty much all the time.
    Indies are actually very popular on Steam. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

josko9 said:

not sure I follow...7 days to die which is an indie early access titles has more than that many players pretty much all the time.
    7 days is not an MMO. Besides, ESO players, except for a very small percentage do not use Steam to play the game. Pointless post.
    lol.....

when it comes to anything that matters in this conversation I dont think 7DTD not being an MMO is going to help ESO much...lol

what are we talking about here? how many players are on ESO? do you think simply saying 7days to die is helpful in any way to the case of ESO or even MMOs in general?

Or are you trying to suggest that MMOs in general are already well known to be marginal which is why its unfair to compare the population to single players  because there are much more single players players then MMO players? dosent exactly help ESO much that....lol

besides..given that 7days has a multiplayer aspect which is a persistent world we would have to vet it thru ubisoft but I think it qualifies as an MMO

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I do feel bad for the folks who got caught up in it, and hope they get themselves sorted out so can play again. DX11 was unveiled in '08 and launched in '09 so I can see the company's side of the issue also. It's 2016.

I'm also glad ESO has finally moved to 64 bit client also, though it's a tad buggy at the moment.

edited March 2016

You can lol all you want to be you are the one who made the dumb comparison between player numbers to a non MMO to ESO. ESO is played far more than 7 days. Just not on Steam. Steam is not the be all end all for gaming. Try playing Diablo on it. You and your posts. It is like you find posts on a daily basis about games you do not and will not ever play and stick your nose in and overturn threads just because you want to be recognized. Go play your games. smh
    read my points very carefully.

1. if you dont want to compare number of players to an MMO then it comes off as if what you want to do is to hide the fact that MMOs playing is on a steep decline. even more so when a non-AAA, indie, small team, low budget, early access title is beating ESO in numbers

2. what happend to 'a game is a game is a game why are we fighting about labels?

3. If The Division is an MMO then by definition so is 7 Days to Die

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    How dare they upgrade the game.  We want that same old stuff that runs on windows 95.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    josko9 said:
    tawess said:
    Yeah i hate to say to but if someone have a comp that can´t run DX11... it is time to upgrade. 

Especially as MS soon will cut all ties with pre Win10 tech as they move on to their WinHive model. =P 

my gamming pc I still run a win 7, not willing to use a win 10 too much garbage on that "free" system,and will only change if I want really hard to play a new game then won't support win 7(with I can change mod and the hell with it).

but still the problem here is a old game who was running ok with dx10 can't do it anymore for lazyness of the company, but hey if you think eso is so sucessfull they can bleed even more players, go ahead be a prick and defend a company who are just being lazy and kicking they own player base out
    Firstly ESO is definitively very successful, or it wouldn't be the best MMO for the past 2 years, and selling millions of copies on multiple platforms.

Besides don't you think they already examined the data as to what PCs their playerbase is using? I mean if 50% of their playerbase was still on DX9 do you think they'd drop it? Hell I don't think they would drop it even if only 10% were still using it. Sorry but if anyone is still on DX9 in 2016 they shouldn't be gaming anymore. Graphics cards with DX11 are below 100$ already.

Also ZOS seems to care only about quality, they are focused on improving ESO all the time. Most MMOs are simplified and made very accessible, ESO is not one of them. This is another proof that ZOS is taking ESO forward, rather than playing it safe and slow. Dropping DX9 will open up a lot of new opportunities that weren't possible before. Next is coming support for DX12, probably next DLC.

yes so sucessfull then it changed from P2P to B2P with DLCs, opinions are opinions, if you liek the game good, I don't and we know based on number its not that popular.

and all MMos today toss teh we are very sucessfull, even mortal online and dark fall say that so really you want really for people belive on you?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Seems this change only effects those playing on Moms old Dell.  The extreme backwards compatibility that people expect of games and other software is holding the rest of us back.  I say, so long suckers!  Upgrade or GTFO. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288

For those of you with DX11 issues follow these steps of this forum poster on the ESO General Forums:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251677/for-those-itching-to-log-into-the-game-with-dx-v10-1#latest

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Yes, ESO drops support for older machines. Of course, they aren't the first, just the most recent. 
    I'm sure if you tried, all of you can find plenty of other games that have become 'unplayable' to some of it's players due to updates and enhancements to the engine. (Usually when a new expansion came out, hint hint.)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

I am confused on something.

Someone said that ESO per month playership is 2.7k. What does that mean and where does that number come from because to be honest that is rather low.

sorry its not tied directly to the concerns of people who are still using steam powered PCs

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Entris38 said:
    I do feel bad for the folks who got caught up in it, and hope they get themselves sorted out so can play again. DX11 was unveiled in '08 and launched in '09 so I can see the company's side of the issue also. It's 2016.

I'm also glad ESO has finally moved to 64 bit client also, though it's a tad buggy at the moment.

Been running on the 64bit since the patch, and not having issues that some have reported.
    I understand there's some more work on the 64 coming through in the next couple of weeks.

I do sympathize with the people who have been locked out of the game due to the DX change. As some have stated they tried the Thieves Guild DLC on the pts, where DX10 would work, bought the DLC and suddenly found that they couldn't play it or any of the game at all - including any previous DLC's they'd got.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    SEANMCAD said:

josko9 said:

ESO when released on steam was met with so much disdain its not even funny. Everyone was bitching and moaning it wasnt skyrim 2. Also steam is about free as much as possible. I been on steam for years and the trend on steam is always 2 things-1 it has to be indie, 2 its about as free as possible. ESO released on steam as monthly fees and a box cover if you remember and none on steam were having that. Not to mention what successful mmorpgs are on steam by their population? I do not play ESO anymore but to base anything on steam I wouldnt bother its not a good platform to judge anything but all the EA garbage being pushed at us from scam indie teams trying to make a buck.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I understand the whole DX9, hell no one should have a card that runs DX9. So why is everyone arguing about DX9? I really do not see a reason why DX10 was eliminated? People can argue that these people that have DX10 cards should upgrade. Hell at this time in our industry I been thinking of getting a DX12 card, but a lot of people are not like me. You others that are like me and stay up on all hardware and software should understand some of these players are young going to school and even some going to university's. Money may not be there and some parents think in these political times money can go other places.

The big point I think a lot are missing there really was no reason to eliminate DX10 and at a business stand point it just proves once again the higher ups in this company need to be changed and new direction has to be made if this company wants to survive.

This whole thing is about the company not the players.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

edited March 2016
    cronius77 said:

ESO when released on steam was met with so much disdain its not even funny. Everyone was bitching and moaning it wasnt skyrim 2. Also steam is about free as much as possible. I been on steam for years and the trend on steam is always 2 things-1 it has to be indie, 2 its about as free as possible. ESO released on steam as monthly fees and a box cover if you remember and none on steam were having that. Not to mention what successful mmorpgs are on steam by their population? I do not play ESO anymore but to base anything on steam I wouldnt bother its not a good platform to judge anything but all the EA garbage being pushed at us from scam indie teams trying to make a buck.
    to be honest that bitching and moaning about it not being skyrim 2 started before the game was released ANYWHERE not just steam.

That said is the numbers of 2.4k in steam or overall? because if that is an overall monthly player base then its very small for a game of this budget

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Its not like i don't care for those who can't play the game but this is a very welcomed upgrade, the optimization of the game is really bad even with one of the latest graphic cards you won't get all the power of the card in this game so this is a step in the right direction. Now they need to upgrade from their spaghetti code so they can do proper bug fixes and hotfixes.  
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    carotid said:

LOL It's not lazy, it's moving forward. If you want to stay behind, that is your problem.
    If the company had said minimum spec DX9 or DX10 you could bash the company. 
    They didn't they said DX11.

Were they to lazy to make sure that people who couldn't read shouldn't have been able to run the game at all? Pretty well established that people should check the minimum specs so no.

Lazy that they didn't enforce DX11 from day 1 and reaped potential gains earlier to the benefit of all compliant players? Maybe.

(And as far as Windows goes hope you are looing forward to an unsupported Win7 operating system but don't blame MS downstream.)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

the 2.7k per day is from Steam. Nowhere else. I would venture to say Steam makes up less than 5% to 10% of the ESO population. Steam has little to no influence in the MMO world.
    Top games by current player count
    CURRENT PLAYERS///PEAK TODAY GAME

/// 3,477

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

ok that makes more sense and I would agree.

I say that because the post I read didnt mention steam but I had so I wasnt positive what his numbers where

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    gervaise1 said:
    carotid said:

LOL It's not lazy, it's moving forward. If you want to stay behind, that is your problem.
    If the company had said minimum spec DX9 or DX10 you could bash the company. 
    They didn't they said DX11.

Were they to lazy to make sure that people who couldn't read shouldn't have been able to run the game at all? Pretty well established that people should check the minimum specs so no.

Lazy that they didn't enforce DX11 from day 1 and reaped potential gains earlier to the benefit of all compliant players? Maybe.

(And as far as Windows goes hope you are looing forward to an unsupported Win7 operating system but don't blame MS downstream.)
    lol you guys really should stop saying thing like you really understand what you guys are talking, and in case you still are not aware more or less 30% of computer in the world still use win XP.

thing is, they launched the game running on dx10, and to keep players around they should keep dx 10 around, tehy want to drop it? fine but they sure would need to tell every player they have playing in caps, even more on the news they game will not run anymore unless they can run dx11, they mistake was not make the game dx 11 from the start if they would do that

also note when people say unsupported that means if in case of the software have any problem they can't help you, not you can't use it anymore, and that problem is normally related with better hardware then the time the damn software was made, so tehre is no point to keep support on a obsolet software.

with is not the case here, the game still ahve the same crap graphic was the launch day, same system, I really don't know the reason for this change since doing so would mean spend more money on tools then in case was already made and working, but that was a really over sight, and in any country with a minimum of consumer right keeping the players out becasue this change with was not from launch can for eso have to return money from that player

also from the one saying dx11 is more optimized tehn teh previous, pray did you do all the bench marks test to state so? had a reason why most games was running dx9 and dx10, mostly becasue the dx10 being really slow even on new machines.

but they since eso want to be a unique butter fly and run on dx11 and keep tehy own player without playing teh game they for some reason like not really my problem, but when I see companys fucking the consumer for and the consumer who should stay together and see want to kill each other, I can understand why MMO market is in such state
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    gervaise1 said:
    carotid said:

<snip>
     they sure would need to tell every player they have
    <snip>
     same crap graphic was the launch day,
    They did. At launch. With the minimum specs.

Now if the specs were unrealistic, jaw dropping, cutting edge state of the art - an excuse as to why a game might not run on someones rig then we could poke fun at them and say they weren't really minimum specs but simply an attempt by the devs to cover themselves. That can't be said though about the minimum specs they posted.

And yes for those peoples rigs who don't meet them it sucks.

Now will this move improve "performance" going forward - remains to be seen; if it doesn't then that does raise a flag. (It won't change the graphics so if you thought they were crap on day 1 they still will be.)
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Didn't they say that DX9 is now not usable and DX10 is not "supported"?  Doesn't that mean you can still play with DX10 but will get no tech support etc?  Maybe I am reading too much into that wording.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!