Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If $699 wasn't good enough for VR

1234568»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Just saw a story that Microsoft was getting ready to take pre-orders for their Augmented reality developers kit.  I think that tech is also pretty neat.  And the glasses look way cooler.

I self identify as a monkey.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Ridelynn said:
    It's not that I would mind paying that price for VR, I'm just not enough of an early adopter to want to pay the early high prices for it.  I'll wait for 2nd or 3rd gen and get it when prices come down a bit.  

Unlike a lot of people, I don't think the prices are outrageous, most first gen stuff is.  It's just a matter of wanting to get in early, and I don't.

I self identify as a monkey.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Reizla said:
    Just saw the announce for the Dutch (or all of EU?) prices: €899. That'd make it 25% more expensive than in the US:(

And yeah, saw that announcement for Mickey$oft's VR thingy as well... $3K they must be kidding (sadly they are not...)
    Hololens is a different animal though, its not VR like how its being sod currently.  Hopefully the price will drop on it, whats important though is the technology. 
    and ironically in the context of specifically gaming AR is actually far more limiting then VR.

I dont want to see my desk, I dont want to see my kitchen with something bouncing around it and I dont want developers trying to code for every single room arrangement ever made.

I think for gaming AR is going to flop
    Actually, for true virtual gaming that allows you to get up, move around and so on, hololens would be the only way to do it well.   Hololens also works by itself, you could take it wherever you wanted. For wide usage, if hololens came down to roughly the same price as oculus (which, it isn't that far off if you consider you need hardware with the oculus) I think it would generally have a broader scope.

Being closed off from everything is fun in theory, but there's a reason VR didn't catch on before, and why its so niche. 
    no no no no completely no

here is the problem with AR as VR.

your wall? you see. it your desk? you see it. your window? you see, your cat? you see it, your dirty laundry? you see it. everything you experience with AR is within the context of that room you are in, virtual things jumping aorund your dirty laundry.

In VR the developer has 1000000% access to every single pixel you see. 

HUGE difference
    Thats the issue.  If you want to experience everything you do in a tunnel, great.  Its good for a short experience like watching a movie which is pretty much what the majority of people would use it for.  Hololens will allow you to use theirs anywhere.

Think of a game like Pokemon out in the real world.  Having an actual PvP battle based on gestures you're doing with your friends somewhere else being positioned on the screen by hololens.  

Actually looking and moving around the area you're in without worrying if you're going to hit something, or kick something, or hurt yourself.

You could potentially use it to create a platform to play actual games, like on a television, streaming something, where the characters can literally jump out of the game, all within your actual space.  Its a much better system...  people can walk in.. and you can see them, say hi to them, have a regular conversation. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Thats the issue.  If you want to experience everything you do in a tunnel, great.  
    DUDE! 

I spend about 20-30 hours a week in a virtual world called Wurm Online and this site is a site dedicated to MMORPG which are virtual 'tunnels' where people want to escape and not look at the dirty laundry and a virtual avatar jumping on it.

wow!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:

Thats the issue.  If you want to experience everything you do in a tunnel, great.  
    DUDE! 

I spend about 20-30 hours a week in a virtual world called Wurm Online and this site is a site dedicated to MMORPG which are virtual 'tunnels' where people want to escape and not look at the dirty laundry and a virtual avatar jumping on it.

wow!
    LOL MMO's aren't tunnels.  I'm literally stating, in VR, you're in a tunnel.  No light from the outside, you have no idea whats ahead of you or behind you.  You can't look down and see your hands or your feet.  Can you literally watch your hands type across the keyboard or on your controller when you play games currently?

Just because people are trying to "escape" from reality, it doesn't mean they don't want to be able to visually see what they're doing.  

Hololense will give them a better sense of gameplay than what VR can do...  unless they want to sit there and use it as a screen,  they won't be moving around, they won't be swinging their arms and hands and dancing like they would in a boxing game,  or sticking their hands out in front of them with a "gun" to shoot things.  

The more complex you may "VR" the more taxing it will be.  With hololens, you can go anywhere, and do anything.  Hold a controller that allows you to interact.  

Anybody with a pet, children, or room mates would understand this.

edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

DUDE! 

wow!
    LOL MMO's aren't tunnels.  I'm literally stating, in VR, you're in a tunnel.  No light from the outside, you have no idea whats ahead of you or behind you.  You can't look down and see your hands or your feet.  Can you literally watch your hands type across the keyboard or on your controller when you play games currently?

Just because people are trying to "escape" from reality, it doesn't mean they don't want to be able to visually see what they're doing.  

Hololense will give them a better sense of gameplay than what VR can do...  unless they want to sit there and use it as a screen,  they won't be moving around, they won't be swinging their arms and hands and dancing like they would in a boxing game,  or sticking their hands out in front of them with a "gun" to shoot things.  

The more complex you may "VR" the more taxing it will be.  With hololens, you can go anywhere, and do anything.  Hold a controller that allows you to interact.  

Anybody with a pet, children, or room mates would understand this.
    ah I gotcha.

well speaking for myself and the 3 sell outs of the devices and all the business activity going on around VR that 'tunnel' is EXACTLY what we want.

if I could dive literally INTO my Wurm world for a few hours at a time I would no question

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah I gotcha.

well speaking for myself and the 3 sell outs of the devices and all the business activity going on around VR that 'tunnel' is EXACTLY what we want.

if I could dive literally INTO my Wurm world for a few hours at a time I would no question

Its definitely a way to play, but most of what people are using it for is a glorified screen attached to their head.  Sure you could potentially see an entire virtual world, but how would you interact with that world?  With the oculus you'd be using a very limited controller, that only has a very limited set of inputs.  

VR will sell an experience,  albeit a short term experience.  There are ways to make that a better experience, but you're looking at a much larger apparatus for it to get even close to the level of what Hololens is stating they're capable of.   It just has substantially more uses than being closed off to the world.  

Had Hololens undercut their kickstarter, and pushed their campaign for years all the while sending out development kits, I wouldn't doubt it would have also sold out.  Google Glass sold out too.

edited February 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ah I gotcha.

Its definitely a way to play, but most of what people are using it for is a glorified screen attached to their head.  
    no.. I am 99.99999% sure people are wanting them to be 'In' the game.

I say that except the crtics who literally think its just a viewmaster. They continue to have zero idea what its about, but for everyone else they know what they are gettting into and its ALL about 'the tunnel' as you described it

I just found out that Quantum Break requires the same video card that Oculus does.

Well now..that didnt take long but I am looking all over the place for someone saying Quantum Break costs $60 + $1500 or 'will fail because not enough PCs can run it'

hell its only be a friggin month!

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Also we need to remember that that OR is not even VR gen 1.... It is VR gen 0.1 It was the first of the new VR generation. Since then the Vive have upped how much you can move around and project Tango aims to upp that even further. Ar by comparison is a ancient tech (if we trace it back to Caudell) and unlike VR development did not really ever stop. Mostly because of the uses outside of entertainment. 

VR is just now seeing it´s development take off. In a generation or two i think we will see the usability go up a lot. 

This have been a good conversation

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just found out that Quantum Break requires the same video card that Oculus does.

Well now..that didnt take long but I am looking all over the place for someone saying Quantum Break costs $60 + $1500 or 'will fail because not enough PCs can run it'

hell its only be a friggin month
    The price difference is an order of magnitude, and it's the actual end-piece of software, not just a peripheral that still needs software in order to function.

There is a big difference between the minimum specs for the game, and for Rift. The Recommended hardware for the game match the Minimum for the Rift.

This game will run on a XB1, without some special hardware adapter to give it more power.

Just a couple of the differences there that don't really make that a valid comparison. Just sayin'...
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

hell its only be a friggin month
    The price difference is an order of magnitude, and it's the actual end-piece of software, not just a peripheral that still needs software in order to function.

There is a big difference between the minimum specs for the game, and for Rift. The Recommended hardware for the game match the Minimum for the Rift.

This game will run on a XB1, without some special hardware adapter to give it more power.

Just a couple of the differences there that don't really make that a valid comparison. Just sayin'...
    you seem to overlook though that we are talking about ONE game with ONE function vs a peripheral.

Never the less the suggested requirements to play this ONE GAME is almost the same as the the suggested requirements of the Rift. 

SO..with that....given....that.....only 1 %.......of.......the gaming population......has these specs.........what will people do.......to play.......one game.

and I would rather not have xbox injected into every PC gaming related conversation ever even when it doesnt apply to the point

edited March 2016
    Game != Peripheral.

And this game also runs on XBox, so it would be ignorant to ignore that fact.
    edited March 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    Game != Peripheral.

EXACTLY the point I am making

your trying to suggest one ride to downtown in your cool car is worth $1000 but putting on new rims that cost $1000 is not.

Really.

@SEANMCAD specifically drew the parallel that because the Game required the same hardware as the Peripheral, it would fail. I assume he mentioned this because a lot of other people have mentioned that because a Peripheral has a high hardware requirement, it would fail. Since he seems the be White Knight Grand Dragon for all things VR (except Cardboard, and AR, just Rift mostly), so somehow this observation @SEANMCAD has made would vindicate or nullify that theory that some people have.

a) The Game does not require the same hardware as the Peripheral, so the premise of your conclusion was flawed to begin with
    b) Game != Peripheral, for all the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

So, again, I guess I fail to see the point you are making.

Ridelynn said:
    Really.

@SEANMCAD specifically drew the parallel that because the Game required the same hardware as the Peripheral, it would fail. I assume he mentioned this because a lot of other people have mentioned that because a Peripheral has a high hardware requirement, it would fail. Since he seems the be White Knight Grand Dragon for all things VR (except Cardboard, and AR, just Rift mostly), so somehow this observation @SEANMCAD has made would vindicate or nullify that theory that some people have.

a) The Game does not require the same hardware as the Peripheral, so the premise of your conclusion was flawed to begin with
    b) Game != Peripheral, for all the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

So, again, I guess I fail to see the point you are making.

you are suggesting one ride in a cool car downtown is worth $1000 but putting new rims on the car that cost $1000 is not.

SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Really.
    you are suggesting one ride in a cool car downtown is worth $1000 but putting new rims on the car that cost $1000 is not.

I don't get the analogy. Can you explain that please?
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Really.

game/ride = about 20 hours of game play that is about $50 an hour for that

peripheral/wheels = 276 games within the next 12 months and even if 1/8 of those games you want to play and provides you with a better experience than without said device then its clear that ONE game costing you $60+$400 makes less sense buying that video card with peripheral in mind which allow you to play many games...not just one. be careful I imbeded a trap for you in this.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Really.

game/ride = about 20 hours of game play that is about $50 an hour for that

peripheral/wheels = 276 games within the next 12 months and even if 1/8 of those games you want to play and provides you with a better experience than without said device then its clear that ONE game costing you $60+$400 makes less sense buying that video card with peripheral in mind which allow you to play many games...not just one. be careful I imbeded a trap for you in this.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.