Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Drops support for DX10 - players now frozen out of the game.

JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
That's what's happened.

The Thieves Guild patch also ended the ability to play if you had a pre-DX10 set up.

Now it doesn't affect me (and I'm successfully running the newer 64bit option), but there's a growing list of people who have been playing this game for years and now find themselves suddenly frozen out.

Needless to say there is a mounting level of dissatisfaction, (that's the calmer description), as people find out this is the cause of their game instantly crashing when trying to play after yesterday's Thieves patch.

Now not everyone has money available to suddenly upgrade their pc, so it appears Zenimax have successfully dropped a portion of their player-base overnight.

Irrespective of personal opinions on whether everyone should or should not have a DX10 capable rig, to alienate some long standing players, literally overnight, is an extremely poor decision making process.

Comments

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    edited March 2016
    No different then Microsoft cutting support for different OS versions. 

People need to keep their PC's updated... DX9 was the XP verision of Direct X... 

It is not an opinion that support for DX9 stopped years ago...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    JudgeUK said:
    That's what's happened.

The Thieves Guild patch also ended the ability to play if you had a pre-DX10 set up.

Now it doesn't affect me (and I'm successfully running the newer 64bit option), but there's a growing list of people who have been playing this game for years and now find themselves suddenly frozen out.

Needless to say there is a mounting level of dissatisfaction, (that's the calmer description), as people find out this is the cause of their game instantly crashing when trying to play after yesterday's Thieves patch.

Now not everyone has money available to suddenly upgrade their pc, so it appears Zenimax have successfully dropped a portion of their player-base overnight.

Irrespective of personal opinions on whether everyone should or should not have a DX10 capable rig, to alienate some long standing players, literally overnight, is an extremely poor decision making process.

So basically they don't support Win XP or Vista anymore. As every OS from Win 7 onwards is at the very least, Dx11.
    Given how few actually use those OS's i would be very surprised if anyone even noticed that Dx10 wasn't supported anymore tbh.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    So it was DX9 and DX10...

Still no biggie, as Zenimax stated for over a year that you should have a DX11 capable PC to run the game. If people didn't upgrade in the last year... that is their own fault.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Torval said:
    Nice, but unsurprising, spin.

Here are the facts:
    They stopped offering a DX9 version of the game. They aren't locking anyone out unless you don't meet the minimum video specs of the game:  Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVidia GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6850)

DirectX 11 Upgrade
    We have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific.
    • You will no longer be able to launch or run the DirectX 9 version of the game.
    • We will no longer support graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11.
    • This will allow us to implement new graphics features only possible with the removal of DirectX 9, as well as improve the overall performance of the engine.
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/251063/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-3-5#latest

There seems to be a growing level of misinformation and baiting, but that's about it.
    The notes say DX9, but it's also DX10 which has been removed. DX11 is now the requirement.

What hasn't helped some players is the Thieves patch on the pts was playable with DX10, but this was changed when it went live.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'm in support of this change, especially if support for earlier versions has been hindering performance or other changes.

One of the greatest disservices WOW did to the genre was to establish the precedence for MMORPGs to run on PCs with low performance graphic cards so the "masses" could play.

Prior to that you generally had to buy one of the higher end cards every time a new one came out, just how things were done in the early days.

I remember how this market trend change caught Brad McQuaid by surprise before Vanguards launch.

He said in an interview they coded for the next gen of video hardware, only to be surprised when they launched the playerbase no longer had nor were willing to upgrade to play his game.

The mass market had spoken, and while catering to them proved to make more money, it did not make for better MMORPGs, quite the contrary, its been holding them back ever since.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    JudgeUK said:
    The notes say DX9, but it's also DX10 which has been removed. DX11 is now the requirement.

What hasn't helped some players is the Thieves patch on the pts was playable with DX10, but this was changed when it went live.

The minimum graphics card requirements are a DX11 card - GTX460, AMD 6850.
    Agreed, this is pretty much a none issue, by now most of the players will have exceeded the minimum requirements by quite a bit, and for the few people still using Vista, tbh, it would surprise me very much if anyone was using Vista, let alone XP to play ESO.
    So taking away support for what is now an extremely old platform, is unsurprising, if anything i would expect more and more games to phase out support for Dx9/10 assuming they haven't already, and here i am including games like WoW.
    I fully expect to see more games in the future supporting Dx11 and/or Vulkan as a minimum standard, probably Vulkan as its the only real multi platform option.
  • ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    If you don't meet these "minimum video specs of the game:  Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVidia GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6850) " then you need to buy a console and game on that, because your really going to have a very limited amount of current games you can play on a rig running less than that.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    Zeddakis said:
    If you don't meet these "minimum video specs of the game:  Direct X 11.0 compliant video card with 1GB RAM (NVidia GeForce 460 or AMD Radeon 6850) " then you need to buy a console and game on that, because your really going to have a very limited amount of current games you can play on a rig running less than that.
    Nah. The performance gains aren't as steep for many years now. DX11 cards came out in 2009 earliest and they are still capable to handle pretty much any MMO, albeit some(very few) might require to tone down GFX settings to medium.
  • yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Non-issue really. Like others have posted a DX11 gfx isnt that expensive, get a refurbished card if you're short on cash.

In terms of OS you can still get cheap Win 7 of ebay/amazon.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Yeah i hate to say to but if someone have a comp that can´t run DX11... it is time to upgrade. 

Especially as MS soon will cut all ties with pre Win10 tech as they move on to their WinHive model. =P 

This have been a good conversation

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    They should specify that it is a DX11 "Hardware" compliant card

even though my System *Win10pro 64bit* says it's running DX11 apparently that is a software DX11 and not a 'hardware' DX11 ....
    There is a 'feature' tab on DXDIAG that reads 10,9.1.. yadad yada ...
    So now I and many others are locked out from the game.....
    and no.... I do not have cash to run out and buy a card or a PS to run the card.

Bye ESO.... I'll miss ya...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    They should specify that it is a DX11 "Hardware" compliant card

even though my System *Win10pro 64bit* says it's running DX11 apparently that is a software DX11 and not a 'hardware' DX11
    If they started writing instructions on how to read minimum system requirements, those system requirements would be so long that people wouldn't read them at all. No matter what they do, they can't do it right.

Also they specified that they need a video card, after that I'd point a finger at whatever OS/driver/video card manufacturer made you think that you have a DX11 compliant video card.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited March 2016
    fs23otm said:

People need to keep their PC's updated... DX9 was the XP verision of Direct X... 

not the same, cutting support would mean they don't give support any longer but you are still able to use it, with on this case is not what is happening, keeping a PC updated like you said is ok if you want to play new games not a old game, who already have a low number of people willing to play it, plus his graphics are not good enough to say we won't need directx 10 anymore.  and since well they changed and not make the changes well know, consummers kinda can sue then.

and since modders can't save ESO ass for being stupid I so want to see how much time it will take till they resume the support again lol
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    tawess said:
    Yeah i hate to say to but if someone have a comp that can´t run DX11... it is time to upgrade. 

Especially as MS soon will cut all ties with pre Win10 tech as they move on to their WinHive model. =P 

you guys really should understand what give support really means.

my gamming pc I still run a win 7, not willing to use a win 10 too much garbage on that "free" system,and will only change if I want really hard to play a new game then won't support win 7(with I can change mod and the hell with it).

but still the problem here is a old game who was running ok with dx10 can't do it anymore for lazyness of the company, but hey if you think eso is so sucessfull they can bleed even more players, go ahead be a prick and defend a company who are just being lazy and kicking they own player base out
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    fs23otm said:

That's basically the reality of PC gaming. From time to time it requires making a new investment in your hardware.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    tawess said:

my gamming pc I still run a win 7, not willing to use a win 10 too much garbage on that "free" system,and will only change if I want really hard to play a new game then won't support win 7(with I can change mod and the hell with it).

but still the problem here is a old game who was running ok with dx10 can't do it anymore for lazyness of the company, but hey if you think eso is so sucessfull they can bleed even more players, go ahead be a prick and defend a company who are just being lazy and kicking they own player base out
    LOL It's not lazy, it's moving forward. If you want to stay behind, that is your problem.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    It's probably not as simple as buying a new GPU for some people. Many of those still using DX10 would have no PCIe slots.

I know they made PCI DX11 cards, but, can you still buy them, not sure.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited March 2016
    tawess said:

Firstly ESO is definitively very successful, or it wouldn't be the best MMO for the past 2 years, and selling millions of copies on multiple platforms.

Besides don't you think they already examined the data as to what PCs their playerbase is using? I mean if 50% of their playerbase was still on DX9 do you think they'd drop it? Hell I don't think they would drop it even if only 10% were still using it. Sorry but if anyone is still on DX9 in 2016 they shouldn't be gaming anymore. Graphics cards with DX11 are below 100$ already.

Also ZOS seems to care only about quality, they are focused on improving ESO all the time. Most MMOs are simplified and made very accessible, ESO is not one of them. This is another proof that ZOS is taking ESO forward, rather than playing it safe and slow. Dropping DX9 will open up a lot of new opportunities that weren't possible before. Next is coming support for DX12, probably next DLC.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    josko9 said:
    tawess said:

Firstly ESO is definitively very successful, or it wouldn't be the best MMO for the past 2 years, and selling millions of copies on multiple platforms.

just for reference and I know its not the sum but on Steam its not very popular. The numbers of active players on steam in ESO is often rather low

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Hmm, I can understand what people are saying, you have to keep up with the times, I would only say otherwise if this change was just done without telling their playerbase. Was it well known that they would be no longer supported?
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    josko9 said:
    tawess said:

just for reference and I know its not the sum but on Steam its not very popular. The numbers of active players on steam in ESO is often rather low
    That's because ESO didn't release with Steam. Also ESO came to steam veery late. There was a poll on the official forums that showed that only 5-10% of all ESO players actually bought ESO from Steam. The number of how many are actually launching from Steam is probably even way lower than that. The fact is that Steam is horrible for MMOs, so many problems with it.

Either way, you're saying it's not very popular on Steam. Compared to what MMO? Right now ESO has 2.4k average players per month, while FFXIV 5.2k. So that probably means that FFXIV has more steam players than ESO right? Wrong. 

Check the Steam Spy stats. ESO sold ~500k copies on Steam with 52k players in the last 2 weeks, while FFXIV ~400k with 41k players in the last 2 weeks. Numbers can be very misleading, especially in the case of ESO when there are so many casual players. ZOS has the perfect customers, they will play for years spending only a few hours per week.
    edited March 2016
    josko9 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

That's because ESO didn't release with Steam. 
    I know that...why do you think I said 'its not the sum'

edited March 2016

josko9 said:

Right now ESO has 2.4k average players per month, 
    not sure I follow...7 days to die which is an indie early access titles has more than that many players pretty much all the time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다