Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battle-mage type class?

zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
So i was wondering  if any current/future classes would closest resemble a battle mage type class? I never really played EQ1, very little of EQ2 (played a dirge) and bought vanguard but could never properly run it. I spent most of my MMO time on FFXI which had quite a few classes compared to most games. In FFXI they were classes that generally fit the mold of what i would consider a battle mage: mainly DPS (close quarters generally) with some spells that had a mix or offensive/debuff and some buffs(some having heals too) .The best examples of that would probably be Bluemage and Redmage. i also really enjoyed Dragoon because it stood out with a pet that  could heal.

Since i don't know what some of the classes would equate to from games like EQ or Vanguard, what would you suggest of the current or planned classes for someone like myself who prefers the more hybrid DPS/support role in MMOs. I did not see bard in there but my only real experience with bard was in XI and it was more of a pure form of buff/debuff. Right now im most interested in Shaman, but i'm not exactly sure what it ended being in other games. Any suggestions? Right now this is the only MMO me and a couple friends are really looking forward to. FFXIV for us turned out to be casual junk and not much else is looking good right now.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IMO a Battle mage would be half ass at either role,so not a very good decision.Your not going to get a full out mage and a full out Warrior bound into one.I rather see the entire game NOT go for single role classes and open up a multi class,it gives players the choice to combine classes to whatever role they wish while not diminishing the main role.

I think most all devs shy away because a multi class system takes a lot more thought and effort to get it right across all levels.In the past Whomever has done the combat systems in VG or EQ did them in a very simple way that just allowed a simple math system across every classes.
    Like do we really want to see a Cleric in plate armor with mitigation stats again?Not me i want to see some thought put into classes,i don't want EQ1 or VG in a new skin ,i want a better version of.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I was watching LOTR yesterday and saw Gandalf wielding his staff and Glamdring, one in each hand. 

I never get to wield a staff and a longsword as a wizard.

Now granted, Galdalf is not just any wizard ....

But maybe this game will be different. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    @Wizardry I understand what you mean, i guess the title of battle mage itself isnt the best description of what i meant. I dont necessarily mean a class that can  do offensive magic just as well as hit with a melee weapons, more along the lines of using magic to support their combat. A good example is like "en-spells" from FFXI, it adds an elemental damage buff to your weapon, things like that were you mix magic with your up front combat along with some buffs/debuffs to make you more effective. In the end im thinking a more complex warrior that  mixes magic in to achieve its full power and some of that magic adds to the group.

Like your talking about with multi-classing i like the idea of being able to sort of fill more than just 1 role and being completely ingrained into it. That was one of the reasons i could not stand FFXIV, every class was really strictly 1 of the trinity roles and needed to be competitive in that role due to how fights in that game were set up with strict requirements of doing X amount of damage/heals or being able to take hits. It was was too scripted and set in stone that having a hybrid or job that could fill gaps would never work.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Herald of Xotli in Age of Conan.  Cloth wearing, 2 hand sword wielding, fiery ball of destruction. 
  • AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    FFXI vet here as well. Been with them since the KS. The short answer is they will have nothing like BLU or RDM at launch. Eventually they will have expansion classes a d thats probably where we will see less traditional classes and more unique classes. They just started the class reveals with Cleric. Every month they do an update so watch out for those for more class reveals. I myself am still undecided as well because of not knowing enough about yhe classes. A EQ style or even a VG style Bard mighy be what you are looking for once they make it to the game. In the mean time Id watch Druid. It wasnt in a reveal but Brad did mention it in the newsletter that went along with Cleric reveal. The thing that stuck with me was his mention of localized weather control to help support allies which greatly reminded me of the FF series Geomancer. So we will have to wait and see but Druid could end up being a combination of Geomancer meets whatever Whatever Druids did in VG or EQ

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    I prefer more early AD&D, not modern adaptions of fantasy personally.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Still not 100% sure what Dire Lord would be but its possible itll be as close to a "battle mage" as we're going to get at release. Then again, the class descriptions are vague and not much to go by as I recently learned about the Ranger.

As for hybrids.... honestly other than cleric most of the other classes can be some form of hybrid class. Monk, Dire Lord, Druid, Ranger, Summoner, and Enchanter all have potential of being a DPS/Support. Maybe even some of the others. Also depends on your definition of "support" ... is it back up heals? Buffs? Debuffs? They can all be considered support. Hell, OT can be "support"
    I didnt think about it but Kayo could be right if he means more in the way of spells that boost your own damage and being a melee dps. But think more DRK than RDM. And if he means specifically things like the enspells then thats what he means by support. So not so much a support class as a class that has plenty of self buffs or enemy debuffs but being melee dps.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    edited March 2016
    Amsai said:
    I didnt think about it but Kayo could be right if he means more in the way of spells that boost your own damage and being a melee dps. But think more DRK than RDM. And if he means specifically things like the enspells then thats what he means by support. So not so much a support class as a class that has plenty of self buffs or enemy debuffs but being melee dps.
    Since you have a better understanding of the FFXI classes i think im more leaning on how bluemage is. Its main focus is damage, but it also has some party buffs and heals which are helpful but would not fill out a pure buffer role or main healer. Redmages enspells i always found to be a cool idea and a good example or mixing magic into a more standard DPS role even if  redmage in the end was more of back line mage than anything. I think thats why of all the melee damage dealers i found Dragoon interesting is because of the potential utility it could bring to a group.

i will keep an eye on Druid, Dire Lord and Shaman to see how they turn out. I know they are likely not going to be exactly like their EQ counterparts and versions of them in other games were also different. This is what i  think the currently listed classes will be from my FFXI experience and what ive read:

Celric: Main healer (like Whitemage)

Crusaider: Tank with heals (Like Paladin)

Warrior: Tank or DPS (like Warrior)

Dire Lord: Tank with debuffs (closer to Shadowknight from what ive read)

Ranger: Ranged DPS maybe with pets? (Ranger/beastmaster combo?)

Monk: DPS, possible backup tank (like most monks ive seen)

Rouge: DPS (Like Thief)

Summoner: mixed (summoner in XI was a pretty mixed bag)

Enchanter: CC/buff/debuff (FFXI didnt have a pure CC, it was spread across a few classes)

Wizard: Ranged Magic DPS (like Blackmage)

Druid: Buff/heal/Damage (likely more of how Redmage ended up, possibly what im looking for)

Shaman: Buff/debuff (not sure what this one would be which is why it might be intresting)
    Note: i found an early 2014 page taking about it, not sure if it has changed: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1006/view/news/read/30018/Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen-Latest-Update-Features-the-Shaman.html
    Thats basically it. Just we dont know how much they will change in Pantheon. Im interested both in Druid and Shaman at this time but not if one or both end up being main heals. 

Something like BLU is very unique and it does have hybrid magic/melee dps. There is definitely not an Enemy Skill learning class. And EQ tends to be cautious with Hybrid Classes. So Im not sure we would ever see a hybrid melee/magic dps. So while I will say wait and see what future classes reveal. I wouldnt hold my breath. 

As for RDM depending on what traits you liked from it Druid and Shaman could fit. But in terms of being an OP jack of all trades class. That would be the EQ and VG versions of Bards.They share similarities with XIs Bard. But from what Ive read a closer correlation would be RDM (functionally if not thematically). Alas, Bard is not a launch class currently. It will be in the game eventually though.