Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon or Bust

13»

Comments

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    DMKano said:

Apparently I failed to communicate effectively. 

My point was that MMORPGs have fallen out of favor with AAA dev studios - both PvE and PvP - it doesn't matter.

Yes PvE is far more popular in mmorpg space, I never would make a claim othetwise.

My point was that a well crafted AAA mmorpg is not worth it today due to time money and poor retention  rates. No AAA dev studio will attempt it

And market research backs this up - there is just no  money it like there was 10 years ago.

Ah, ok... that makes sense then. I agree that mainstream AAA companies have no interest in such ventures today, but the studios of today are not really game studios as much as they are mega-corporations looking for profit avenues. Most of the real game development companies were driven out of business or bought out years ago and game development really was never "AAA" in that sense anyway. The studios of old were small numbers of people working on projects with much more modest budgets.

Even EQ was only around 24 people and 8 million to make, which is small potatoes these day as a quality PC title only takes about 4-5 million to make  (Divinity Original Sin). Modern game studios are notoriously wasteful and misguided in their budgets, spending enormous amounts of money on fad features.

It isn't that MMOs can't be profitable, it is that it is highly unlikely another WoW can be made to bring in the enormous profits. The mega-corporations don't care about being profitable, pulling in 5-10 million a year in profits is a failure in their eyes, a waste and they have a point. What is 5 million when you pull in billions a year? It is small potatoes.

For small companies, with modest goals, talented people and a clear target audience, the market is ripe. Niche titles can be very profitable for a game studio these days as 5-10 million a year in profits would be ridiculously successful for a small studio and it is well within their reach to achieve such. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,380
    DMKano said:
    And market research backs this up - there is just no  money it like there was 10 years ago.
    GW2 is doing well. SWTOR is doing fairly well. Those are both AAA games. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SinistSinist Member RarePosts: 1,369
    Amathe said:
    DMKano said:
    GW2 is doing well. SWTOR is doing fairly well. Those are both AAA games. 
    I don't know much about GW2, but The Old Republic cost over 200 million to make and failed pretty heavily on release. Over time, they began to bring in a modest profit, but for their cost to bring to market, it was pretty much a failure.