Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan Still going

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Nice unique combat system and cool setting.  Boring quests and not much alternative to questing.  Also the "open world" doesn't feel very open and massive.
  • SoloAnythingSoloAnything Member UncommonPosts: 308
    OhhPaigey said:
    I couldn't get into this game, the game felt really odd, and old.
    It's not just AoC, TSW as well both have the worst movement, combat and animations I ever seen in a mmorpg. It doesn't feel like you're fighting but like you're trying to hit flies or just air.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    I really miss the world and lore in this game.  Had some of the coolest locations and such in an MMO.  It really was one of the big travesties of the MMO world (way more so than Vanguard IMO).  Because it actually ran reasonably well, had good combat, lore, etc.  It was just gloriously unfinished past Tortage.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Nice little collection:
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is nothing wrong with AoC imo, it's combat system and graphics was ahead of it's time for MMOs when it was released.

Too bad, like most Funcom titles, they always somehow to manage to do bad releases and release a game too early and buggy.. but the game's idea itself was good.
    I thought that as well but it sure doesn't look that great now,so idk if they have turned graphics down or i was totally delusional.I am more than certain these are not the same graphics i had on release because those had nice lighting/shaders ,material looked real,now it looks like a badly compressed mess.
    I just tried to play this game again about 2-3 weeks ago and could not stay interested past the starter isle.That noob start is just so linear and boring for me,i couldn't go on.You need more than one starting area,and their whole game just feels like a single player game and not a mmorpg.That is like the third time have tried to play the game again and always i get bored before i get off the starter isle.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Bluehound17Bluehound17 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited January 2016
    Robokapp said:
    [mod edit]
    alternatively, he might be roleplaying an extorsionist. Doesn't seem to fall in YOUR list of approved playstyles though.
    BINGO! you got that right! I was in a role playing server, I was an Archer/Assassin Standing on one of the Bridges for levels 1 - 25 asking for a couple of in game money before they could pass, if not then they are gonna have a hard time leveling up.

PS: Fodell54 seems to be one of those white knights or a kiss ass to their bosses just to get what they want, I've always joined an elite guild/Elitist group of friends because thats who we are.. We just dont roleplay we also walk the walk when we do the talk.

I'm, used to people like him he must be fun at parties lolol, me and my group gets to have all the fun in all the games we play.From Age of Conan, Tera, Aion, Star wars the old republic, Skyforge and more we Always Tend to be the best even if we dont Try.

ill give him an example

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluehound+hack&oq=bluehound+hack&aqs=chrome..69i57.3404j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=bluehound+aion
    Post edited by Amana on
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Wizardry said:
    There is nothing wrong with AoC imo, it's combat system and graphics was ahead of it's time for MMOs when it was released.

Too bad, like most Funcom titles, they always somehow to manage to do bad releases and release a game too early and buggy.. but the game's idea itself was good.
    I thought that as well but it sure doesn't look that great now,so idk if they have turned graphics down or i was totally delusional.I am more than certain these are not the same graphics i had on release because those had nice lighting/shaders ,material looked real,now it looks like a badly compressed mess.
    I just tried to play this game again about 2-3 weeks ago and could not stay interested past the starter isle.That noob start is just so linear and boring for me,i couldn't go on.You need more than one starting area,and their whole game just feels like a single player game and not a mmorpg.That is like the third time have tried to play the game again and always i get bored before i get off the starter isle.

I think you might be right because I remember one of the newsletter from Funcom back in the launch of AoC was that the graphics details were way too high that it was killing the performance of siege combats and when there are lots of folks in the same area. I recall they had said they will adjust it - I'm not sure though it was totally toned down.
  • morialamoriala Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 2016
    the graphics is not turned down, it actually got upgraded since release with a dx10 engine.

Heres a video showcasing the classes in the game!

Heres a video from the asian expansion of the game!

4k video 

Post edited by moriala on
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    moriala said:

Heres a video from the asian expansion of the game!

I don't like Grindbringer, but I must admit, HenryX can make great videos... now I just want to hop on a tiger and riding through Khitai :wink:
    Edit is cool as well, loved the part at around 3:00 where the pets "chant" to the beat of the music...
    edited March 2016

This is a speedrun of an instance, with a well geared group, some routines with adds practiced, very fun! And I dont really see how this would be bloated with buttons either ^^
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Played it for 3 years straight and then some off and on but the guild I was in left so I went with them to another game. That guild no longer exists. I miss playing AoC and my Demonologist but I have moved on. Maybe I will come back and see how things are now.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited March 2016
    I loved Tortage I had like 7 may be 8  classes and never got bored with Captain Royo. I tried that ranger column attacks where you had to place the mobs just so. What a great game but unfortunately the shock of leaving Tortage was something I never quite got over.

Combat was not difficult to learn ,was engaging and I loved the beautiful art but the population took such a dive soon after but I still enjoyed the puzzles in the dungeons and I grouped and had fun. I think I left to play something else and never went back.

Ahh Funcom always miles ahead and buggy games.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited March 2016

PS: Fodell54 seems to be one of those white knights or a kiss ass to their bosses just to get what they want, I've always joined an elite guild/Elitist group of friends because thats who we are.. We just dont roleplay we also walk the walk when we do the talk.

I'm, used to people like him he must be fun at parties lolol, me and my group gets to have all the fun in all the games we play.From Age of Conan, Tera, Aion, Star wars the old republic, Skyforge and more we Always Tend to be the best even if we dont Try.

ill give him an example

https://www.google.com/search?q=bluehound+hack&oq=bluehound+hack&aqs=chrome..69i57.3404j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=bluehound+aion
    Not a white knight or "kiss ass" if you will. I'm a shit talker aka semi troll. I stir the pot and watch what happens. Which you would have known by simply looking at post history. I have over 500 post that are all the same. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.

Oh yeah .. I forgot.... you're to busy sending me PMs about how you think I'm a homosexual (worded much nicer then what was sent to me.) That was so very adult of you! You know the people that are most homophobic are usually the ones with something to hide. Do your friends at parties know about your hidden agenda? Also, congrats on proving you're a shitty hacker. I guess your guild does have more fun. You know... at the expense of everyone else. Anyways, get your facts straight. 

On a side note, I paid for a few months of AoC and tried to get back into it. It just never happen though. I made a new Bear Shaman and leveled him up to 30 something then found myself bored again. It didn't help that the game is so top heavy and people just aren't in the lower level areas anymore.

All you need to do to check population is go to the official forums and look at the posts. There really aren't any and a post can go for weeks without being answered. When you don't even have enough people to complain anymore. That's not a good sign for an mmo.

Also, with all the new games coming out I find that I'm having more fun playing those.
    Post edited by fodell54 on
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    edited March 2016
    After getting to 80, AOC was the last MMO game with good group-play for me. It was also my last proper MMO, everything since has been single player MMO crap fest. Dabbled with SWTOR a bit and some FPs were fun for groups but AOC was better. 

Went back after the F2P conversion and it just killed it for me. Loved my Bear Shaman and still think its one of the most fun classes I played in any MMO. Right after the Crat in Anarchy Online. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yep something happened to the game,it has to be dumbed down because it does not look as good as it did before.I tried it twice in the last 2 months and just couldn't play for much longer than maybe 2 hours.

All these hand holding markers drives me nuts in games,a MMO should not feel like a single player game on rails.AOC is still a single player game,i don't call doing dungeons gaming or part of the Role playing aspect,it is simply a cheap mechanic to hide some Boss in the back end of an ugly cave that nobody woudl care about if not for loot.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2016
    lol @fodell54 PMs huh must too scared to get modded to say it here. Cowardly.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited March 2016
    kitarad said:
    lol @fodell54 PMs huh must too scared to get modded to say it here. Cowardly.
    Exactly how I feel. At least be man enough to say it in an open forum.
    edited March 2016
    Keyword: WAS GOOD not anymore. move on.

I was one of the few who got to server 1st max level for their respective class in  the game, i loved ganking and griefing of people for hours , following them wherever they go untill they log out or pay me  a few silver before i leave them alone.
    You know this type of practices just kill the PvP population in the long run and this is the type of cowardly practice where they make sure they are max level before they grief players because they're too afraid to engage people in fair play.Lousy players with poor skills on even matches.

So no surprise on the PM tactic it is on par with the other behaviour. 

PS don't bother with any pms I have you on ignore.

This is the 5th boss in the newest raid Palace of Cetriss, with the bossfight - Cetriss himself!

Raiding and progression race is REAL!
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I enjoyed this game back in 2008... at least until the content ran out and you had to grind the same three instances over and over to level. I tried it again briefly after it went F2P; but the previously great community had taken a nose-dive. I keep meaning to give it another go, but never get around to it... too many other games to play.  
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    It is another MMORPG PVP failure.....
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I fire up AoC about once a year and replay Tortage, even though I have higher level characters, I always enjoyed the starter town the most.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I've never understood why Tortage was regarded so highly and people quit afterwards.  There's really so many good leveling zones with so much fun stuff to do.

Kopshef Province - Tons of great quests here, and you get to meet the cock handler.  This is defintely my favorite desert zone of any game.  Skip Conal's Valley and Wild Lands of Zelata after tortage.  No matter what your race is, go to Kopshef, it's much more fun.

Field of the Dead - My second favorite zone in AoC.  Haunted forest full of ghosts, zombies and a dozen mini bosses that drop great progression gear.  Lots of good quests here, especially when fighting the Vanir towards the end of the zone.

Thunder River - I love this area.  It was one of the best looking zones in any MMO for a couple of years.  Many games have much better water effects now, but the idea of a zone that is mostly islands, rope bridges and mysterious ancient evil is just great.

Ymir's Pass - Very fun zone with lots to do, but the crown jewel of this area is the Amphitheater of Karutonia with one of the coolest boss fights I've ever seen.

Once you hit 80 then you get to see the some of the most impressive areas in the game like the Coast of Ardashir, Chosain Province, Paikang and Dragon's Spine.  CoA is one of those zones where I simply can't stop taking screenshots when I visit.
  • Little-BootLittle-Boot Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Tortage was head and shoulders above the rest of the game.  I always felt they created a great hook, but the subsequent fall off in quality was so extreme it rankled... to the point where in your 40's you literally ran out of new quests and had to repeat content ad nauseam. I can see why people left soon after release.   
    The zones that had few quest at release have gotten better, you have plenty of content up to max level dont worry.