Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC Questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
AoC is one of the few major MMO's I never gave a chance.  I thought I might give it a go and I have a couple of questions:

1)  Does anyone still actually play?

2)  Is it open world PvP?

3)  How hard is the combo system to use?

Thanks!

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    AoC is one of the few major MMO's I never gave a chance.  I thought I might give it a go and I have a couple of questions:

1)  Does anyone still actually play?
    Yes, it's still a populated game and people still play.  I suggest joining a well established guild, however, as people don't group out of general chat nearly as much as they did even a year ago.

2)  Is it open world PvP?
    Yes, there is open world PVP on the single PVP server left.  However, don't join that server.  It's deader than Tabula Rasa and should be turned off.

3)  How hard is the combo system to use?

Thanks!
    Not even remotely difficult after you get used to it.  It has a very short learning curve.  The best part about the combo system is that you actually feel like you're playing your character.  In other MMO's you push a button and take a sip of your drink while your character does whatever full attack is associated with that button.  In AoC, however, you direct every swing and every stab and positioning is very critical.

AoC combat is the most rewarding combat system I've ever used and that's coming from someone who has played dozens of different MMO's.  Nothing comes close.

If you want Melee without much challenge, then play a Barbarian, if you want melee and want to be challenged, then play a Bear Shaman.  A good Bear Shaman player is worth their weight in Hyborian Gold.

If you like tanking, then roll a Dark Templar or Conqueror, but avoid the Guardian as it's total shit these days. There hasn't been a class revamp in over two years, so it's probably not gonna get fixed.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    This game for me was probably my biggest let-down in the whole of my MMO life.. i love this game, (still do today) but the total balls up on release of the game, which the game never really recovered from and the complete lack of interest from the devs have left this game a shell of what it could be.
    Like @H0urg1ass  said the combat is (arguably) still the best of any mmo out. I feel sad to think what this game could have been, looks gorgous the setting , the game.
    Occasionally i pop back on in hope of some lease of life, but after about 3 days realise what i hope for will never happen :(

#sad
    #couldofbeensomuchmore

But, you should enjoy the game, like hour said find a guild that has some decent population and it will certainly be a worthwhile visit.

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    @H0urg1ass was fast (timezones... :wink: ), and also accurate. There are two servers with open pvp (one of them has also corpse looting and all those nifty PK-friendly rulesets), but like in most games, pvp is empty, go to Crom instead.

Combo system, check this tutorial video https://youtu.be/ZHr8PhhrsoA  it's quite old (for example sprint now has a separate bar and not using stamina, because it gave an advantage to casters), but very detailed and covers all the basics you need to know about the combat.

DT (templar) may be tough to play as a first-timer, I'd say Conq if you want to tank / melee dps, PoM for heal, Shammy for a more fun way to heal, and any clothies for magic damage, since all are cool. If you like pets, go with Necro :wink: 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    It also should be asked how the " Bar Room Brawling " is going ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Elsabolts said:
    8 years later and some are still crying about this ...

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Elsabolts said:
    Do you really have to say the same thing ever time someone posts something about AoC?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2016
    I tell you this,i wasn't a huge fan of their combo system but i'll take AOC combo system any day over what BDO is doing.
    I remember really liking Tortage ,now when i went back there, soon i talked to the barmaid i logged out of the game, it just felt boring.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.