Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Survival game?

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237
I'm bored of traditional MMO's. What's the best Survival game out right now?

I have some friends playing ARK, thought about trying that.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• mappammappam Member UncommonPosts: 31
    There are so many now. What are you looking for? 

Do you want zombies or just gather and build to survive? This will make a difference on what folks will suggest.

I live in my own little world - I like it there - everyone knows me.

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    minecraft
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    mappam said:

Do you want zombies or just gather and build to survive? This will make a difference on what folks will suggest.
    I'm also looking for surival MMOs. Have some fantasy, gather and build to survive to suggest??

Also other games except from ARK?
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2016
    JUst so you know if you subscribe to Humble Bundle monthly (12 bucks US) in the current bundle you get ARK much cheaper than actually buying it (plus other games), if you end the subscription you still get to keep the games in the monthly bundle. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Manasu said:
    mappam said:

I'm also looking for surival MMOs. Have some fantasy, gather and build to survive to suggest??

Savage Lands...............  here is yer game ...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307880/

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

I'm personally waiting for the Hyborian one. 

Scorchien said:
    Manasu said:
    mappam said:

Agreed with this. It is a really fun game.

Is it a MMO or just small servers like ARK?

I'm looking for an MMO mostly.. Suggest other games too if you know!

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
    Distopia said:
    I'm personally waiting for the Hyborian one. 
    Yeah, I'm also interested in this. But right now we have next to no info at all about it.

The closest thing to a survival MMO would be Wurm I'd assume. Though I wouldn't call it a survival game.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Distopia said:
    The closest thing to a survival MMO would be Wurm I'd assume. Though I wouldn't call it a survival game.
    Yeah I've tried it. It's a very nice game but have to spend ALOT of time to build anything (which is good, dedication = reward, but currently I'm looking for something different) and also yeah, its not a survival game. More like a crafting MMO.
    Manasu said:
    Scorchien said:
    Manasu said:
    mappam said:

Agreed with this. It is a really fun game.

Is it a MMO or just small servers like ARK?

I'm looking for an MMO mostly.. Suggest other games too if you know!
    More of a small server thing. Though your character progression is persistent across servers so you can play with friends. Life is Feudal may be something you like. It is pretty hard and requires teamwork to be successful. Maybe Xyson? It is an MMO. Can be a harsh game.
    Hmm, Savage Lands is interesting then.
    I've bought LiF and I'm waiting for the MMO to start (beta will be soon). As for Xsyon yeah it's very good, although not really a survival and teamworking is a must (don't always like that).

Other surival MMOs? Even with zombies, that focus either on surviving, building, farming, or combat PvP/PvE etc?

Also it is planned to make Savage Lands a complete MMO?
    Doing something like Life is Feudal?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    7 days to Die is probably lots of fun with friends. Its outright brutal game. Real survival.

Life is Feudal is great community game, really feels like MMOs of old. But there is not much survival there.

Ark is simply fantastic game, but PVP can be brutal, and PVE is less fun that PVP

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

7 days to Die is probably lots of fun with friends. Its outright brutal game. Real survival.

Life is Feudal is great community game, really feels like MMOs of old. But there is not much survival there.

Ark is simply fantastic game, but PVP can be brutal, and PVE is less fun that PVP

Well to put in in another way,  I don't have any online friends to play games with :D. Yeah I know I can join in small servers and meet the people there, but generally I'm looking for something more massive.

7DtD and Ark are small server based games. Ark really has potential and I could really like it but yeah, will wait till it comes as MMO or will just buy and play it if I don't find any better.

As for LiF, I have bought it (mostly for support) and waiting to come as MMO beta, but it's not really survival too.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Not sure on the gameplay or if it has been mentioned yet, but Wild looks interesting:

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    ark i wouldnt even bother recommending to anyone due to the dev team being completely idiotic and not addressing performance in over a year since release. Not to mention them constantly changing things without notice or info. I honestly cannot think of a more incompetent dev team out there currently than wildcard. Their lead dev is cocky, assholish, and just a jerk.

7 days to die is good but very slow to update, about a update every 3 to 4 months and can get very stale quickly once you learn how to play with the slow updates.

Stranded Deep is a castaway sim thats just like the movie basically but also very slow to update but you can get a couple of weeks of fun out of the current game.

People really should mention fallout 4 also here though it with mods is hands down the best sandbox survival game currently but just does not have any multiplayer and with their new system about to release that makes you get disease hunger thirst etc its going to push consequences hard core. 

Other mentions planet explorers sci fi survival seem about in beta and close to being ready with loads of content and voxel base. 
    The long dark if you want a realistic survival sim but can be boring after a couple of playthroughs
    The forest VERY scary game at times, good survival, but can be frustrating with the loads of materials it takes to build and the cannibals constantly stalking you.
    Dont Starve another good survival game that has multiplayer but the graphics are a turn off to some but it has some of the most hardcore survival elements with food spoilage and permanent death

cronius77 said:
    ark i wouldnt even bother recommending to anyone due to the dev team being completely idiotic and not addressing performance in over a year since release. Not to mention them constantly changing things without notice or info. I honestly cannot think of a more incompetent dev team out there currently than wildcard. Their lead dev is cocky, assholish, and just a jerk.

7 days to die is good but very slow to update, about a update every 3 to 4 months and can get very stale quickly once you learn how to play with the slow updates.

Stranded Deep is a castaway sim thats just like the movie basically but also very slow to update but you can get a couple of weeks of fun out of the current game.

People really should mention fallout 4 also here though it with mods is hands down the best sandbox survival game currently but just does not have any multiplayer and with their new system about to release that makes you get disease hunger thirst etc its going to push consequences hard core. 

Other mentions planet explorers sci fi survival seem about in beta and close to being ready with loads of content and voxel base. 
    The long dark if you want a realistic survival sim but can be boring after a couple of playthroughs
    The forest VERY scary game at times, good survival, but can be frustrating with the loads of materials it takes to build and the cannibals constantly stalking you.
    Dont Starve another good survival game that has multiplayer but the graphics are a turn off to some but it has some of the most hardcore survival elements with food spoilage and permanent death

Hmm nice suggestions, thank you. But mostly looking for someting more massive, more MMOish

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Does it have to be multiplayer? No? Then I'll seize this opportunity to recommend The Void; while not a 'survival game' per se, it's close enough.  It includes resource management, time is not on your side, and it becomes increasingly harder to survive the further along you go.  It also has one of the most unique and interesting systems/settings I've ever seen in a video game.  It's the game I would have wanted to design:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/09/29/wot-i-think-the-void/

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    THIS WAR OF MINE

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    raystantz said:
    I'm bored of traditional MMO's. What's the best Survival game out right now?

I have some friends playing ARK, thought about trying that.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

I think ark is still part of the monthly bundle.

Along with grav and wasteland 2 and couple other games. 

Monthly is 12 bucks and you can cancel it at any time and keep all that month's games.  Great deal if it is still available for any that are thinking of trying Ark.
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Hurtworld,you can actually freeze to death if not equipped properly,death can come at any second. Rust is another good one
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2016
    I'd say Dying Light.  Not an MMO but does have 4 player co-op.

Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey