Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online interview – ‘Making games of this type is really, really hard’ Read more:

2»

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just cant help thinking how Darkfall is more like an elder scrolls game than this is and for a fraction of the developer size

i didn't know darkfall was a quest driven game without pvp like ES games are, weird. darkfall....talk about a failure of an mmo? i remember the hype for that one years ago......third launch is a charm? LOL nope.
    I don't see Darkfall and ES connection either. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited March 2016

SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

Few companies at present are focusing on such an all inclusive (large scale)design, most are moving to smaller more focused niche's or away from the genre as a whole it seems. If that's what he's saying I don't disagree, as it's a risk due to budget and market tendency. As for consoles, I don't exactly agree, as FFXI was a rather large scale deep MMORPG for it's time. Which came far before the current tech associated with console gaming. 
    what do you/he mean when its said 'large scale' are we talking infinitely generated worlds like 7 days to die or expansive universes like Elite? or is he talking about making movies (I mean cut scenes) not sure what he/you mean by 'large scale'
    I mean the overall project, most games offer one focus over another, not trying to be all things and for all people (in the manner ESO was attempted to be). AT the time ESO was coming out such a project was a huge risk, anyone would have to be able to see that. It was at the tale end of the entire themepark craze, the design was growing stale years before to many. so like I said if that's what he is talking about I wouldn't disagree. 
    when ESO first started its reveal I looked into it because the ES series is one of my favorite game series ever. Well I could not find anything in the game that felt like anything that hadnt been done before. The overall game design is straight of out the 'wow template' handbook I fail to see how that was remotely a 'risk'.

Anyway, I also dont see how its 'scope' is any 'larger' than any other MMO out there other than maybe having a animation crew to make a movie.

you won't find anything in any ES game that has not been done before, same with any MMO in development. by the way, since it's a "wow template", care to give examples of this? the only thing similar is it's a quest driven game like wow, but that's also an ES feature so i don't know what to tell you there.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

Few companies at present are focusing on such an all inclusive (large scale)design, most are moving to smaller more focused niche's or away from the genre as a whole it seems. If that's what he's saying I don't disagree, as it's a risk due to budget and market tendency. As for consoles, I don't exactly agree, as FFXI was a rather large scale deep MMORPG for it's time. Which came far before the current tech associated with console gaming. 
    what do you/he mean when its said 'large scale' are we talking infinitely generated worlds like 7 days to die or expansive universes like Elite? or is he talking about making movies (I mean cut scenes) not sure what he/you mean by 'large scale'
    I mean the overall project, most games offer one focus over another, not trying to be all things and for all people (in the manner ESO was attempted to be). AT the time ESO was coming out such a project was a huge risk, anyone would have to be able to see that. It was at the tale end of the entire themepark craze, the design was growing stale years before to many. so like I said if that's what he is talking about I wouldn't disagree. 
    when ESO first started its reveal I looked into it because the ES series is one of my favorite game series ever. Well I could not find anything in the game that felt like anything that hadnt been done before. The overall game design is straight of out the 'wow template' handbook I fail to see how that was remotely a 'risk'.

Anyway, I also dont see how its 'scope' is any 'larger' than any other MMO out there other than maybe having a animation crew to make a movie.

Because you have no idea what the game actually offers, you only know what you see on the surface through marketing and video, are you saying ESO has the same scope as something like AOC or TOR? if so I feel no further need to discuss it with you, as you really don't know...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I always compared ESO more toward LOTRO and DAOC, on steroids. Just my 2 cents.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    ESO is not all that and never was even from a Dev standpoint. He can make a ton of excuses for his team but all you have to do is look at all the ZEN teams and see how bug ridden garbage they are at launch and how the community is the one that patches their games to see their track record. This clown came from DAOC he had the knowledge ahead of time to make a good realm vs realm game instead of just selling it as one with a TES shiny skin. Instead we got 16 levels of VR gear grinds and now a endless champion point grind because they decided to leave the real end game gear and vr dependent instead of making it more like daoc where end game was the fun part. All i seriously hear from these devs is excuses all the time. Sean is right here though there is plenty of indie dev teams putting in technical challenges for way less money and man power. This guy is just a egotistical gaming idiot like smedley or garriott who thinks they know what everyone wants but when its short its a million excuses other than blaming themselves.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Brenics said:
    And I think that's the point he's trying to make here (I know it's the one I am.).. how many companies are actually making games like that?

The problem with Sean's argument here basically stems from the age old "it's a WOW clone" line of reasoning..Too many people argue from a standpoint of "it's got this so it's like that and nothing but that".. it's pretty much the premise of every "wow clone" argument for any game in existence. One thing he probably doesn't get as he hasn't played the game, is that questing is much more in the line with TES, than it is WOW in ESO. That alone on top of the typical MMORPG formula like LOTOR, or DAOC is unique in itself. As it still has a strong focus on other activities, unlike SWTOR or some other titles that usually offer far less in terms of non story elements, they just don't have the same quality. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Brenics said:
    i would agree with that except the way ESO handles character development as well as how you obtain quests. IIRC LOTRO was more like wow with quest "hubs" that sent you on missions for the most part.

ESO's quests are usually obtained by finding the place where there is need of your service. ESO also has a completely different way of handling character development, i don't care if we are talking about wow, Daoc, or LOTRO

it's primarily a skill based system with skill lines you put skill points in, it's more similar to GW2 in that regard (but still different) IMO

the only difference in class's in ESO is three skill lines, you basically pick the three skill lines you want and that's what decides that class, the rest of your skills/armor/weapons can be used by any class.

cronius77 said:
    ESO is not all that and never was even from a Dev standpoint. He can make a ton of excuses for his team but all you have to do is look at all the ZEN teams and see how bug ridden garbage they are at launch and how the community is the one that patches their games to see their track record. This clown came from DAOC he had the knowledge ahead of time to make a good realm vs realm game instead of just selling it as one with a TES shiny skin. Instead we got 16 levels of VR gear grinds and now a endless champion point grind because they decided to leave the real end game gear and vr dependent instead of making it more like daoc where end game was the fun part. All i seriously hear from these devs is excuses all the time. Sean is right here though there is plenty of indie dev teams putting in technical challenges for way less money and man power. This guy is just a egotistical gaming idiot like smedley or garriott who thinks they know what everyone wants but when its short its a million excuses other than blaming themselves.
    i just want to point out that Daoc had "realm points" which was similar to champion points that you seem to hate lol

i liked the way Daoc handled it better, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Distopia said:
    Brenics said:
    And I think that's the point he's trying to make here (I know it's the one I am.).. how many companies are actually making games like that?

The problem with Sean's argument here basically stems from the age old "it's a WOW clone" line of reasoning..Too many people argue from a standpoint of "it's got this so it's like that and nothing but that".. it's pretty much the premise of every "wow clone" argument for any game in existence. One thing he probably doesn't get as he hasn't played the game, is that questing is much more in the line with TES, than it is WOW in ESO. That alone on top of the typical MMORPG formula like LOTOR, or DAOC is unique in itself. As it still has a strong focus on other activities, unlike SWTOR or some other titles that usually offer far less in terms of non story elements, they just don't have the same quality. 
    The questing is not much different than WoW, and why should it be.  What game really has questing that is so fundamentally different from WoW that it changes the flow of the gameplay?  I can't think of any.  The quests in WoW are not much different than the Quests SOE added to EQ before WoW was even released.  Neither are the instances, and neither are the raids.

The only thing that differentiates these games is core mechanical and gameplay differences and the Lore/Store...  Oh, and the Graphics/Art Style.

This is why so many people are burnt out.  Because every damn game that gets released is a quest grind and no matter how great your lore is, people are tired of reading books upon books of text just to level their character up.  This has already been done in this industry.  Dozens of times.

It's been the status quo for over a decade, ever since the Early 2000's patches/expansions to games like EQ and DAoC.  Well before WoW was even released.

This has nothing to do with being a WoW clone.  WoW just popularized the genre to epic proportions so you can't really blame these people for associating similar systems in these games to WoW.  It's just that people are burnt out on it.  It is such a common theme among games (Quest Grind Mania) that the games don't even feel differentiated because no matter which one you play, you're basically doing the same things.

ESO is still full of fetch quests, kill <x> of <y> quests, etc.  And the level experience is still primarily a solo-fest with avatars running around paying little to no attention to each other.

There need to be a game to come out that blends solo and group, quest and combat in a way that doesn't burn people out and gives them "actual" choice in gameplay.

Games like ESO and WoW basically force you to railroad your progression through endless book loads of quest dialog because the alternatives simply aren't good enough (unless you're paying for tons of XP potions, and even then their gaming world is generally only patches of decent mob density where grinding is even an option - and for the most part, it's still a solo fest).
    edited April 2016
    Darksworm said:
    Distopia said:
    Brenics said:

The questing is not much different than WoW, and why should it be.  What game really has questing that is so fundamentally different from WoW that it changes the flow of the gameplay?  I can't think of any.  The quests in WoW are not much different than the Quests SOE added to EQ before WoW was even released.  Neither are the instances, and neither are the raids.

The only thing that differentiates these games is core mechanical and gameplay differences and the Lore/Store...  Oh, and the Graphics/Art Style.

This is why so many people are burnt out.  Because every damn game that gets released is a quest grind and no matter how great your lore is, people are tired of reading books upon books of text just to level their character up.  This has already been done in this industry.  Dozens of times.

It's been the status quo for over a decade, ever since the Early 2000's patches/expansions to games like EQ and DAoC.  Well before WoW was even released.

This has nothing to do with being a WoW clone.  WoW just popularized the genre to epic proportions so you can't really blame these people for associating similar systems in these games to WoW.  It's just that people are burnt out on it.  It is such a common theme among games (Quest Grind Mania) that the games don't even feel differentiated because no matter which one you play, you're basically doing the same things.

ESO is still full of fetch quests, kill <x> of <y> quests, etc.  And the level experience is still primarily a solo-fest with avatars running around paying little to no attention to each other.

There need to be a game to come out that blends solo and group, quest and combat in a way that doesn't burn people out and gives them "actual" choice in gameplay.

Games like ESO and WoW basically force you to railroad your progression through endless book loads of quest dialog because the alternatives simply aren't good enough (unless you're paying for tons of XP potions, and even then their gaming world is generally only patches of decent mob density where grinding is even an option - and for the most part, it's still a solo fest).
    i agree with a lot of your post but let me just say that the questing system in ESO is like an elder scrolls game. one of the major problems we have here is people claiming ES games are sandbox games and not quest driven.

sorry but ES games are indeed quest driven and the way you get quests in ES games is the same way you get quests in ESO, not like wow quest hubs. the only major difference is you can't go to any zone and do any quest at any time like you can in a single player ES game.

but you still have to go out and find the quests like you would in an ES game.

that said, i do agree the quest driven mechanics, no matter how they are implemented, is a over done mechanic and a big reason why people are sick of the genre.

everything has been done before.

baphamet said:
    Darksworm said:
    Distopia said:
    Brenics said:

i agree with a lot of your post but let me just say that the questing system in ESO is like an elder scrolls game. one of the major problems we have here is people claiming ES games are sandbox games and not quest driven.

sorry but ES games are indeed quest driven and the way you get quests in ES games is the same way you get quests in ESO, not like wow quest hubs. the only major difference is you can't go to any zone and do any quest at any time like you can in a single player ES game.

but you still have to go out and find the quests like you would in an ES game.

that said, i do agree the quest driven mechanics, no matter how they are implemented, is a over done mechanic and a big reason why people are sick of the genre.

everything has been done before.

The point your missing is that the number of quests they throw at you, simply because you need XP to level up, is burdensome...  That's the problem.

Being a quest-driven game does not mean players should have to do several hundred to thousands of quests just to level up.  Every small step through the story does not need to be via quests.

The game has some interesting systems that could have relieved some of that load (Dark Anchors, etc.) but they don't seem to have put them to good use.  Rift made the same mistake, IMO.

Also, the overemphasis on questing devalues group based gameplay which can turn a lot of people off, as it makes the game feel extremely single-player.

This game, on consoles (where the communication tools are very limited) feels no different than The Witcher III or Dragon Age: Inquisition... except those have better graphics (high res textures, higher framerates, etc.).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just cant help thinking how Darkfall is more like an elder scrolls game than this is and for a fraction of the developer size

I remember when in Skyrim I found and killed others players in a OW PVP system...wait no I did not....O.o
    Torval said:
    You don't need to level via questing. There are other viable paths to take. The fact that I can play it as a hybrid between a single player and an mmo (solo alongside other players) is a huge draw for me. I don't think I'm alone in this either.

It's not a hybrid, it's simply a bad MMO.

They are just trying to call it something else to cover up the fact that they simply did a bad job in that respect.

And quest grind is the way you level.  They're even nerfing the grinding and you can't even grind in a full group without getting an XP penalty.  2 max.

Additionally, have fun getting efficient XP as a new player.  Most of the people PLing themselves via grinding do so efficiently because of crafted gear they can throw on their character every few levels to keep the killspeeds up.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    Horusra said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I remember when in Skyrim I found and killed others players in a OW PVP system...wait no I did not....O.o

keywords being 'more' and 'like' and not 'only one features of which I will use to describe the entire game'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    edited April 2016
    Making an MMO isn't hard, pleasing the most impossible to please playerbase that ever existed is hard.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    flizzer said:
    baphamet said:
    SEANMCAD said:

i didn't know darkfall was a quest driven game without pvp like ES games are, weird. darkfall....talk about a failure of an mmo? i remember the hype for that one years ago......third launch is a charm? LOL nope.
    I don't see Darkfall and ES connection either. 
    I am not the first person in the Darkfall fandom who first reaction when starting up Darkfall for the first time was 'holy crap this looks like Morrowind' AND its skill based open world game? yeah this is Morrowind online

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited April 2016
    Torval said:
    Darksworm said:
    Torval said:
    You don't need to level via questing. There are other viable paths to take. The fact that I can play it as a hybrid between a single player and an mmo (solo alongside other players) is a huge draw for me. I don't think I'm alone in this either.
    They are just trying to call it something else to cover up the fact that they simply did a bad job in that respect.
    And quest grind is the way you level.  They're even nerfing the grinding and you can't even grind in a full group without getting an XP penalty.  2 max.
    Additionally, have fun getting efficient XP as a new player.  Most of the people PLing themselves via grinding do so efficiently because of crafted gear they can throw on their character every few levels to keep the killspeeds up.
    If you think a game is bad then don't play it. I think it's a great game for all the reasons you don't like it. I don't want to powerlevel. I don't play for efficient xp. I play the way I like to have fun and it is fun. And what I said still stands, there is more than one way to level. To say otherwise is misleading.

Where did I say that I wanted the fastest XP?

I don't find quest grind grames fun.  I'm sorry, but they are about a decade too late to pop up yet another story book game and act like it's somehow amazing.  Also, this game does not feel like a Morowind or Oblivion, so I find it to be an ES game in branding and lore only...  I don't have time to read books of quest text in a game anymore.  MMORPG should be more about the social gaming experience (where this game fails heavily) and character advancement.

RPG = Role Playing Game, not "Here's a Library of Quest Text.  It's the best thing about the game, have fun with that."

I like how you people say "I play the way I like to have fun and it is fun."

Anyone can say that.  What's your point?  That you may have different preference than someone else.  Wow, I never thought of that...

The game is mediocre.  GW2 would be a better choice for both PvP and PvE.

I'm tired of people trying to downplay this game's failings by taking up the developers pretty terrible talking points and pivots and calling it some kind of hybrid when it's clearly intended to be an MMORPG.  They simply didn't do it justice, because they're amatuers.

They basically excuse their pretty lackluster design in which groping is pretty much actively discouraged until you want to farm dungeons at end game by saying "it's a hybrid, you can play it like The Witcher or you can play it like WoW."  I think that's a joke.

The game feels single player because of developer failings, not because of intent.

What the developer is doing is trying to pass off their mistakes as conscious design decisions, and you people are buying it... Lol!

And then wonder why they have nothing to do but complain about 90% of the games on the market.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Darksworm said:
    Torval said:
    Darksworm said:
    Torval said:
    If you think a game is bad then don't play it. I think it's a great game for all the reasons you don't like it. I don't want to powerlevel. I don't play for efficient xp. I play the way I like to have fun and it is fun. And what I said still stands, there is more than one way to level. To say otherwise is misleading.

Where did I say that I wanted the fastest XP?

I don't find quest grind grames fun.  I'm sorry, but they are about a decade too late to pop up yet another story book game and act like it's somehow amazing.  Also, this game does not feel like a Morowind or Oblivion, so I find it to be an ES game in branding and lore only...  I don't have time to read books of quest text in a game anymore.  MMORPG should be more about the social gaming experience (where this game fails heavily) and character advancement.

RPG = Role Playing Game, not "Here's a Library of Quest Text.  It's the best thing about the game, have fun with that."

I like how you people say "I play the way I like to have fun and it is fun."

Anyone can say that.  What's your point?  That you may have different preference than someone else.  Wow, I never thought of that...

The game is mediocre.  GW2 would be a better choice for both PvP and PvE.

I'm tired of people trying to downplay this game's failings by taking up the developers pretty terrible talking points and pivots and calling it some kind of hybrid when it's clearly intended to be an MMORPG.  They simply didn't do it justice, because they're amatuers.

They basically excuse their pretty lackluster design in which groping is pretty much actively discouraged until you want to farm dungeons at end game by saying "it's a hybrid, you can play it like The Witcher or you can play it like WoW."  I think that's a joke.

The game feels single player because of developer failings, not because of intent.

What the developer is doing is trying to pass off their mistakes as conscious design decisions, and you people are buying it... Lol!

And then wonder why they have nothing to do but complain about 90% of the games on the market.
    Exactly why developers are getting away with what they are giving us. Sad part is I don't see this changing in the long run. I also wouldn't but to much faith in the smed Garrott and Brad games. I will give all three credit for attempting to bring the magic back and in time we will see if they do it. But like most gamers I am losing faith in the industry will actually find that magic again. Hell maybe what us gamers want is impossible to give. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!