Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online interview – ‘Making games of this type is really, really hard’ Read more:

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    given the universe I roll in what he is saying sounds like 1000% Bull crud

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I agree completely.  They've really set the game up more like older games where there's no one path to success, and also implemented a system of nearly-constant character progression that I really enjoy.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    SEANMCAD said:
    Considering you have not played, how would you know either way?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    because of questions like yours for starters!...ha!

I just cant help thinking how Darkfall is more like an elder scrolls game than this is and for a fraction of the developer size

SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well to be honest it does offer something a little different than TOR, TSW, WOW etc.. IT essentially combines those few formulas, the cinematic story telling, the grinding, somewhat open world exploration/PVP.. etc.. Aside from WOW most MMO's at present focus singularly on one of those features, so in that sense ESO is slightly unique.

edited March 2016
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well to be honest it does offer something a little different than TOR, TSW, WOW etc.. IT essentially combines those few formulas, the cinematic story telling, the grinding, somewhat open world exploration/PVP.. etc.. Aside from WOW most MMO's at present focus singularly on one of those features, so in that sense ESO is slightly unique.
    Correcting my post:

Here is what he said regarding hard

---------------------------------------------------------
    MF: Making games of this type is really, really hard. There are only a few studios in the world that would attempt a project so large and complex to develop as ESO – and the console stakes are really high. You need to have a really solid, experienced development team to pull off a AAA game running on a custom-built private cloud network, make the game fun and engaging, and be able to support it indefinitely with content and infrastructure upkeep. And for a game the size of ESO, it has only been with this current generation of consoles that the devices were even capable of supporting it.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-making-games-of-this-type-is-really-really-hard-5730186/#ixzz41yLdC68D
    ------------------------------------------------------

I dont agree with him

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Correcting my post:

MF: Making games of this type is really, really hard. There are only a few studios in the world that would attempt a project so large and complex to develop as ESO – and the console stakes are really high. You need to have a really solid, experienced development team to pull off a AAA game running on a custom-built private cloud network, make the game fun and engaging, and be able to support it indefinitely with content and infrastructure upkeep. And for a game the size of ESO, it has only been with this current generation of consoles that the devices were even capable of supporting it.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-interview-making-games-of-this-type-is-really-really-hard-5730186/#ixzz41yLdC68D

I dont agree with him
    Few companies at present are focusing on such an all inclusive (large scale)design, most are moving to smaller more focused niche's or away from the genre as a whole it seems. If that's what he's saying I don't disagree, as it's a risk due to budget and market tendency. As for consoles, I don't exactly agree, as FFXI was a rather large scale deep MMORPG for it's time. Which came far before the current tech associated with console gaming. 

Correcting my post:

I dont agree with him
    Why?
    because I know of indie MMOs that have tons more features then most AAA MMOs and they do it on a fraction of the budget and team size AND they dont have a disk filled with the code from the last 1000 MMOs to refer to so they have to make it from scratch.

if they can do it I would think one of the best funded teams in the world can man up a bit

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    SEANMCAD said:

Correcting my post:

I dont agree with him
    Why?
    because I know of indie MMOs that have tons more features then most AAA MMOs and they do it on a fraction of the budget and team size AND they dont have a disk filled with the code from the last 1000 MMOs to refer to so they have to make it from scratch.

if they can do it I would think one of the best funded teams in the world can man up a bit
    SEANMCAD reminds me of Donald Trump, he doesn't really have any idea what he is talking about...but keeps going on anyway.
    SEANMCAD said:

Correcting my post:

I dont agree with him
    Why?

You realize it's mostly about the budget right? Adding all of the cinematic voice-overed content along with a large scale world dynamic is not a cheap thing to pull off, you can tout your Wurm's and the like all you want, they'd never require the work needed nor budget something like ESO would. 

Distopia said:

Few companies at present are focusing on such an all inclusive (large scale)design, most are moving to smaller more focused niche's or away from the genre as a whole it seems. If that's what he's saying I don't disagree, as it's a risk due to budget and market tendency. As for consoles, I don't exactly agree, as FFXI was a rather large scale deep MMORPG for it's time. Which came far before the current tech associated with console gaming. 
    what do you/he mean when its said 'large scale' are we talking infinitely generated worlds like 7 days to die or expansive universes like Elite? or is he talking about making movies (I mean cut scenes) not sure what he/you mean by 'large scale'

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Correcting my post:

I dont agree with him
    Why?

You realize it's mostly about the budget right? Adding all of the cinematic voice-overed content along with a large scale world dynamic is not a cheap thing to pull off, you can tout your Wurm's and the like all you want, they'd never require the work needed nor budget something like ESO would. 
    soo I was right... in what I said in another post.

its about the movie making..

yawn...

Kate Beckinsale and John Cleese not to mention Bill Nighy and Malcolm McDowell I am sure were not cheap. I honestly felt more immersed in the storyline because of the quality of the Voice Acting. Kudos to them
    ok hiring actors to make a movie for your game doesnt really qualify in my mind as being 'really really hard' just expensive.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

what do you/he mean when its said 'large scale' are we talking infinitely generated worlds like 7 days to die or expansive universes like Elite? or is he talking about making movies (I mean cut scenes) not sure what he/you mean by 'large scale'
    I mean the overall project, most games offer one focus over another, not trying to be all things and for all people (in the manner ESO was attempted to be). AT the time ESO was coming out such a project was a huge risk, anyone would have to be able to see that. It was at the tail end of the entire themepark craze, the design was growing stale years before to many. so like I said if that's what he is talking about I wouldn't disagree. 

edited March 2016
    Distopia said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Distopia said:

I mean the overall project, most games offer one focus over another, not trying to be all things and for all people (in the manner ESO was attempted to be). AT the time ESO was coming out such a project was a huge risk, anyone would have to be able to see that. It was at the tale end of the entire themepark craze, the design was growing stale years before to many. so like I said if that's what he is talking about I wouldn't disagree. 
    when ESO first started its reveal I looked into it because the ES series is one of my favorite game series ever. Well I could not find anything in the game that felt like anything that hadnt been done before. The overall game design is straight of out the 'wow template' handbook I fail to see how that was remotely a 'risk'.

Anyway, I also dont see how its 'scope' is any 'larger' than any other MMO out there other than maybe having a animation crew to make a movie.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

when ESO first started its reveal I looked into it because the ES series is one of my favorite game series ever. Well I could not find anything in the game that felt like anything that hadnt been done before. The overall game design is straight of out the 'wow template' handbook I fail to see how that was remotely a 'risk'.

Anyway, I also dont see how its 'scope' is any 'larger' than any other MMO out there other than maybe having a animation crew to make a movie.

Did you just admit to liking AAA games? Gasp!
    yeah and I like pre-Sims 3 too

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    SEANMCAD said:
    I just cant help thinking how Darkfall is more like an elder scrolls game than this is and for a fraction of the developer size

i didn't know darkfall was a quest driven game without pvp like ES games are, weird. darkfall....talk about a failure of an mmo? i remember the hype for that one years ago......third launch is a charm? LOL nope.