Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE got a new record 25665 people online simultanious

Comments

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461

Anyone have an idea on just how the **** CPC does this kind of stuff? And why none of the really massive multi-million dollar productions does the same?

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I'll post here too. This has little to do with subscribers. This is concurrent users. Theres a big difference. EVE-Online's server hub is ranked in the top 500 as a supercomputer. When they post these numbers they are posting new WORLD RECORDS. This is a big deal - not to gamers in general but to techheads who dig that kind of thing. The fact that an MMO is playing a role in driving new server technology and IBM is a working partner with CCP is a big deal for the industry. It shows that these silly games we play do have serious real world benefits.

Nobody is going to argue that EVE has more subscribers than WOW.

Likewise nobody is going to argue that WoW has more subscribers than any other MMO.. *points at korea*

• HardinHardin Member Posts: 70

The EVE Tranquility Server is the biggest 'unsharded' server. 25,000 plus players all online and playing on the same server at the same time is a HUGE achievement and a pointer for things to come.

Because the entire community is on one server the players and 'corporations' in the game can actually be recognised by everyone within the game including the developers. This developers can generate news and events based around the actions of the players which they cannot do effectively for traditional 'sharded' servers because they simply do not have the resources to follow the many divergent paths individual server communities can take.

Here is an example: In EVE I play an Amarrian loyalist. Our Emperor died. We decided for roleplay reasons to hold a vigil of pilots to mour his passing. Over 200 pilots showed up in Amarr for this vigil and it made the ingame news. As a thanks to our corporation for organising this event the Imperial Chancellory awarded us 10 items created specially for this... The items were basically religious books signed by the Emperor before he died. They had no ingame use other than for RP use and they were created specifically for us as a response to an event that we (as players) initiated - on sharded servers it is impossible for the developers to really monitor ingame happenings and respond.

I love the fact that in EVE a player, corporation or alliance can actually become famous and influence events for EVERYONE playing that game. In WoW I helped found a guild on the Euro Venture Company PvP server. That guild is arguably the most known and respected guild on that server now - but talk to anyone on any other server and they won't have a clue... In EVE your achievements and reputations matter... 

In WoW our guild in WoW (again for RP reasons) decided that we would 'attempt' to blow up the Dam at Loch Modan and flood the Wetlands - killing thousands of nasty elves, gnomes, dwarves and humans. News of this heinous plot was leaked to the alliance in advance and we had a fantastic world PvP event as the allies tried to stop us. It was good fun and big news on the server - the talk of the forums for quite a while - but in WoW your actions never have any bearing or influence on the world. There is just simply too many shards for developers to allow each one to go its each way depending on what the players do on each shard...

Anyway kind of drifted off topic - but some more news for you:

CCP is currently creating a second server for the Asian market.

They are in Alpha testing at present.

The first time they switched on the new Asian server (this weekend I belive) over 50,000 people tried to log in simultaneously and the server crashed...

If they do get it up and running it looks like EVE 'Asia' is going to dwarf the current Tranquilty server in terms of concurrent users...

Amarr Victor

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

What you all fail to realize in youre "EVE rulz" state of mind, is that yes, everybody plays on 1 shard, but not on the same server. Same SHARD aka game world, but NOT the same SERVER. Its many servers (70 now to be exact) working hosting all the players and the game world.

Read the 6th news post down

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

Originally posted by Spathotan
    What you all fail to realize in youre "EVE rulz" state of mind, is that yes, everybody plays on 1 shard, but not on the same server. Same SHARD aka game world, but NOT the same SERVER. Its many servers (70 now to be exact) working hosting all the players and the game world.Read the 6th news post down
    If it's one or one million physical cumputers is totaly irrelevant.
    This is the only game where 25k people can play on the very same server and INTERACT with eachother ingame.
    If you know some guy from the community (forums etc.) you can find him ingame.
    He insults you for some reason you can go hunt him down.
    If an item has a cost it's that items worth. It does not vary from server to server. There is no noob servers or veteran servers - all players interact with eachother.
    Oh and you can be sure that most servers of the typical MMO aren't running on a single machine either.

You obviously never played eve or you would understand.
    Playing on small MMO servers feels so limited once you saw what it really means.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Anyone else tired of threads like these besides me? Seems like everytime they get 100 more users online, some eve-online fan has to make a post about it. It was new's the first time they broke the record. Now it's just become childish.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Originally posted by Roin

Anyone else tired of threads like these besides me? Seems like everytime they get 100 more users online, some eve-online fan has to make a post about it. It was new's the first time they broke the record. Now it's just become childish.

wtf the last one was like 2000 or so.

they have a right to release the news on their own site! Don't blame them :S

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• dmbestdmbest Member Posts: 4
    It's a big number.image

We are CREATING the EBay of MMORPG Industry.
    Googam.com

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by scaramoosh
    Originally posted by Roin
    wtf the last one was like 2000 or so.

they have a right to release the news on their own site! Don't blame them :S

I didn't say anything about CCP (I think that's the company?). I'm talking about Eve-Online fans. I've never seen Eve-Online developers making new post here about a new record. Only their fans, Yes it's a nice accomplishment. Do we really need a new post every 100, 200, or even 2000 new people?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Yeah, yeah, and WoW has like 6 million subscribers worldwide.

Played EVE and WoW and neither are great games.

~ Ancient Membership ~

Originally posted by Thoemse
    What you all fail to realize in youre "EVE rulz" state of mind, is that yes, everybody plays on 1 shard, but not on the same server. Same SHARD aka game world, but NOT the same SERVER. Its many servers (70 now to be exact) working hosting all the players and the game world.Read the 6th news post down
    If it's one or one million physical cumputers is totaly irrelevant.
    This is the only game where 25k people can play on the very same server and INTERACT with eachother ingame.
    If you know some guy from the community (forums etc.) you can find him ingame.
    He insults you for some reason you can go hunt him down.
    If an item has a cost it's that items worth. It does not vary from server to server. There is no noob servers or veteran servers - all players interact with eachother.
    Oh and you can be sure that most servers of the typical MMO aren't running on a single machine either.

You obviously never played eve or you would understand.
    Playing on small MMO servers feels so limited once you saw what it really means.

Ive played EVE before son sorry. Now go back to gate camping, so you can experience 95% of the games content.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Originally posted by SpiritofGame
    Yeah, yeah, and WoW has like 6 million subscribers worldwide.
    Played EVE and WoW and neither are great games.

::::08::

— Boba Fett

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Ive played EVE before son sorry. Now go back to gate camping, so you can experience 95% of the games content.

What's fluffy, pink, has a heart tattoo, and likes rainbows? ::::22::

No, not you silly. I was talking about the guy who posted before me.
    Sounds like somone got ganked for being stupid, lost their ship, and decided the game sucked from that point on.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me

Originally posted by SnaKey

What's fluffy, pink, has a heart tattoo, and likes rainbows? ::::22::

No, not you silly. I was talking about the guy who posted before me.
    Sounds like somone got ganked for being stupid, lost their ship, and decided the game sucked from that point on.

Here we have another person I need to prove wrong, this time its the same-old EVE "d00d" that complains about Guild Wars in every thread except this one...so far. Ive never actually given any money to CCP, everytime ive played its been trial accounts, ive done about 3 or 4 of them. After playing the game for 15 days and doing nothing but assigning skills to be "learned" so I can actually pvp I realized it wasnt worth it, and I can find better pvp in DAoC.

— Boba Fett

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

The big question is with 25,000 conurrent users......

How many CCP forum posts contain the word "lag".

That's the reason I stopped playing.

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Here we have another person I need to prove wrong, this time its the same-old EVE "d00d" that complains about Guild Wars in every thread except this one...so far. Ive never actually given any money to CCP, everytime ive played its been trial accounts, ive done about 3 or 4 of them. After playing the game for 15 days and doing nothing but assigning skills to be "learned" so I can actually pvp I realized it wasnt worth it, and I can find better pvp in DAoC.

Complain? I love GW. I don't complain.

The real quesiton is: Can you PVP in DAoC in 14days w/o playing 24/7? No. Oh. Well I'm sorry.

I stick to my original statement.

Originally posted by baff
    The big question is with 25,000 conurrent users......

How many CCP forum posts contain the word "lag".

That's the reason I stopped playing.

I got a question for you too.

Lag bothers you?
    Why are you posting on a MMORPG site?
    Hell, why do you play any online game even?

EVE has less lag than any MMO I've ever seen.
    WoW has the most.
    GW doesn't have moderate lag, they have huge tar pit trap type lag or none at all.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Lag only bothers me when I am paying extra not to have it.

mmorpg.com is free.

I spend a lot of money on expensive equipment in order to specifically reduce lag.

I also seek and connect to well maintained and local servers to specifically reduce lag.

I am willing to hire expensive equipment if it reduces lag. I am not willing to hire laggy servers. If your server is laggy or functions poorly I don't want to play on it, let alone pay for it.

I have never had any problems with WOW although it's laggy in town.

I don't play enough Guild Wars to have ever seen any lag at all. I'm led to believe there are disconnects.

Eve has been very problematic in my experience with repeated and regular mass dumpings of players. (When it got to once every 45 minutes I gave up).  Frequent disconnects and lags in busy sectors, leading to forum posts, ccp announcements and broadcasts of which sectors are currently functional or not. 

Maybe it's got better. The constant tinkering with the player limit however leads me to doubt it's permanent stability. Great game but I couldn't cope with all the interrupted play.

• WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

Roin,if you see at http://www.eve-online.com/ you will see ccp anouncing their new record.

And it isnt 100 or 200 more people online at the same time is 2000.

I see many wow fan boys scared,you wil not lose all your subs to EVE,calm down,and recognise CCP merit.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Yeah, 25k online simultanious in the same "shard" is a fine achievement. But it's no technical achievement. Besides... even though there's 25k online at the same, chances are that only 15 persons are at the keyboard, simply because the other people are waiting for their transportation to stop.

If somebody flames me for saying only 15 persons, you gotta understand, that I was underestimating on purpose.

Jackclot,did you saw my post?

It was made for people like you

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Fantastic... it didn't post...

Anyways...

Why do you think I'm a WoW fanboy? I think WoW is utterly skilless. Only good thing about WoW is the lore and the World. Back with my previous account I fought of hordes of Fanboys trying to corrupt the GW forum.

But of course... if I don't like EVE, an EVE fanboy will accuse me of boing a WoW fanboy... so you really don't need to answer my question.

if you didnt liked wow players flaming GW,dont flame EVE,cause i see you dont understand it,or you didnt get deep in game to see how good it is.
  • Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Yep! It rocks alright!
    So far been playing for 2 months now, I still got a long way to go to get to 0 pt 0
    space image and even stand a chance.

Yeah you got to wait for your real-time skills to lead you on a leash to 0 space.

Originally posted by WARCRYtm

Is verry good a game 3 years old that had 60k subs,after WoW hit stores,EVE got 100k subs in less than a year,and every month is geting new records.
    It didnt hapend to any other mmo with EVE´s age or even less.
    EvE is a verry well done game,a nice expirience,made by a small company.
    If you go to www.mmorpg.com get EVE to 100k subs you will see few games with more than that(wow,swg,eq,eq2,l2,l1,ffxi,daoc,ragnarok,coh)others have less than 100k.
    I beleave that EVE will get 200k players at the end of this year,if it kips like this.
    My opinion

No, those are experiementing subscribers.  If they leave Everquest clones for Eve thinking they are getting something new, they will be very dissapointed, and leave Eve also.

Originally posted by SnaKey

Originally posted by Ruck-Up
    what if WoW only had one server? 3 million online at one time?

The game is super laggy as it is on a Med Pop Server.

If WoW had half of what EVE has online on a reg basis (around 15-17k) then you would be sporting a ping of 40,000ms.
    If there were 7.5k pppl online at one time in WoW. You might as well forget about IronForge or Ogremarr. We're talking a ping of 600,000ms. Your reaction time would be less than that of the Mars Rover.

If each zone in WoW was an instanced server with a gate to go through each time you want to change servers then you can make a comparison.  Eve Fanboi.