Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ehm, the costume system. Please tell me I'm wrong.

DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
Am I missing something, or is there no way to "hide" my costume and have normal items be visible instead?

Tell me this isn't some kind of permanent limitation.

Everywhere I look, all classes look nearly identical.

It's bad enough that they've gender-locked classes, but did they really have to omit races and gear visibility as well?

Tell me I'm wrong - I beg you.

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    edited March 2016
    You're wrong.  You can hide costume pieces.  You can pretty much show or hide everything... You can even open/close helmets and turn off back items (ie capes/wings)
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited March 2016
    Draemos said:
    You're wrong.  You can hide costume pieces.  You can pretty much show or hide everything... You can even open/close helmets and turn off back items (ie capes/wings)
    How?

I've tried hiding every single outfit piece and it makes no difference. The only thing that changes so far is the weapon.

I found a helmet, it wasn't visible no matter what I did.

I found a chest piece, it wasn't visible no matter what I did.

Same with gloves.

The "outer circle" is the normal gear - and I've made sure they're all enabled.

The "inner circle" seems to be the outfit slots - and I've made sure they're all disabled.

However, the "starting costume" doesn't seem to have a slot or anything else. I have no idea how to enable or disable it.
    Click the yellow circles next to the costume pieces
    edited March 2016
    Again, I already did that. It changes nothing for the starting costume. It stays visible no matter what I do.

The equipment I've found does not show, either.
    edited March 2016
    DKLond said:
    Again, I already did that. It changes nothing for the starting costume. It stays visible no matter what I do.

The equipment I've found does not show, either.
    The "starting costume" is not a costume, but merely a baseline class skin... and is not visually distinct from beginning armor.  The chest piece generally dictates appearance for armor.   You will play for some time before getting a chest piece that Is visually distinctive(and they're still mostly drab), most of the in-game armor are reskins or minor alterations... To get extremely distinctive looks you need cash shop costumes.    There are also some craft able profession armors that have distinctive appearances. 

For or your helmet, make sure you don't have the helmet hidden.  It's in the same menu.
    Hmm, that's sounds positively terrible.

It'll only serve to diminish personal identity - which is directly counter to what the game seems to be trying to do.

But thank you for that information.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DKLond said:

It'll only serve to diminish personal identity - which is directly counter to what the game seems to be trying to do.

Obviously these purely cosmetic features like "personal identity" will be expressed via the Cash Shop.

Monetization concerns in these B2P or F2P games will always mean that game design will be strongly influenced by the need to encourage players to spend money in the Cash Shop.

The NA/EU audiences are slowly getting used-to the presence of Cash Shops, soon they will be as easily accepted as they are in Korea. A year or two from now, the arguments on these forums will not be "Is it P2W ?", but rather "How affordable is the P2W ?"
    edited March 2016
    Personal identity will be reduced as a matter of fact if you sell "complete" costumes - as people will not mix and match like they would otherwise. Also, there's going to be obvious favorites that look extra cool - which will result in even less individuality.

Combine that with one race and one gender for a class - and you'll get Game of Clones. Maybe HBO will pick it up and turn it into a TV show? ;)

As for cash shops, they're like every system subject to human nature. As in, they often work in theory but human nature will want to exploit and maximise profit.

Cash shops are particularly vulnerable to that tendency.

But by all means, enjoy your cash shop costumes and pretend there's no difference whatsoever between a paid-for costume and individually visible armor pieces crafted or found through normal play :)

That said, I completely agree that people will get used to it. People can get used to many things if they can tell themselves they're saving money by doing it.

Who cares how the actual game plays when you don't have to pay for anything, right?

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    You can craft some costumes in game too...
    Let me guess, they're not quite as cool as those you can buy in the shop? ;)
    @SpottyGekko ;

I just realised that you're saying what I'm saying, so I apologize for suggesting otherwise :)
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited March 2016
    No you can't craft any costumes! You can craft life skill armor which gives you crafting bonuses but its ARMOR not a costume, this is a misconception based on a translation error cause they both are called costumes or something similiar in Korean language but these items go in to the armor slot and it would be suicidal to wear them in combat, there is a item called "Costume token " in the korean cash shop (we don't have this item in ours) and you can make real costumes out of these or any other armor with it of course it costs almost as much as a real costume and those life skill costumes still look a bit boring so there is no real reason to do that (maybe to get the life skill bonus while still wearing combat armor since they keep them even as costumes).
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    The basic free armor with tasteful colors applied are quite nice looking, imo. The warrior can get some really nice free shields. I'm using a dropped shield over my Conqueror's shield atm.
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    My biggest complaint is that you can't really mix and match armor. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    DKLond said:

Erm, when I was playing WoW I noticed that every time I got a new piece of gear it was a TINY  bit different than the last.  It wasn't until I got to high level that I noticed it start to look really different. 
    BD is just like every other mmo in that regard... 

DKLond said:
    Personal identity will be reduced as a matter of fact if you sell "complete" costumes - as people will not mix and match like they would otherwise. Also, there's going to be obvious favorites that look extra cool - which will result in even less individuality.

Combine that with one race and one gender for a class - and you'll get Game of Clones. Maybe HBO will pick it up and turn it into a TV show? ;)

As for cash shops, they're like every system subject to human nature. As in, they often work in theory but human nature will want to exploit and maximise profit.

Cash shops are particularly vulnerable to that tendency.

But by all means, enjoy your cash shop costumes and pretend there's no difference whatsoever between a paid-for costume and individually visible armor pieces crafted or found through normal play :)

That said, I completely agree that people will get used to it. People can get used to many things if they can tell themselves they're saving money by doing it.

Who cares how the actual game plays when you don't have to pay for anything, right?

1.  You hair is very distinctive, Hide your helmet, make hair that stands out.
    2.  There is absolutely nothing pay to win in the cash shop, having 1000 dollars doesn't make you better off
    3. Having a costume didn't change my regular play, I played for 34 hours without one and now it's been 15 with one, I don't notice much of a difference except I get cool back spikes.
    4. The game plays great, that's WHY people are willing to pay money to support the makers.
    edited March 2016
    I don't believe I said anything about P2W.

I said it reduces personal identity, which it does.

How much of a problem that is - is up to the individual.

To me, it's not a game breaker - but it's a very bad design decision for a game that's actually pretty good at the "virtual world" aspect in other ways.

It's counter to the vision - as far as I can tell.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves in terms of how many people are willing to support it, though. The game is just out and starved MMO fans are in the honeymoon phase right now.

It's the least reliable stage of any MMO except before launch.
    i'll try again
    #1. you can hit 50 in a few days of playing, that's 'high level'  around then you can start wearing armor and clothes that actually looks ... well like clothes.  No longer potato sacks. This is just like nearly every other online game I've ever played.
    #2. Comparing it to other SIMILAR games, Ala EvE, ArcheAge, or Darkfall.  This game has FAR MORE customization of your characters appearance.
    #3.  I don't think it's counter to the 'vision' at all.  That doesn't even make sense.
    I tend to play games for the journey, not the destination. I like the sense of progression, and I like taking it slow.

I don't want to "spend a few days" grinding to max level so I can start playing the game for real.

If I can't create a personal identity for myself from the beginning of the game, I start to lose interest.

WoW had plenty of armor progression - it just looked like shit :)

SWtOR, EQ, EQ2, ESO, AoC, AO, Vanguard and countless others had nice gear progression as well.

Yes, I think enforcing "costumes" and minimizing appearance identity is counter to a freeform sandboxy vision.

Makes a lot of sense to me.
    edited March 2016
    Journey before destination is literally the sandbox gamers creed.  And pretty much the mentality you'd need to enjoy this game.

Erm, no one told you to grind to 'play the game for real' I said that even casually you'll unlock every outfit in the game in a short amount of time.

If it's counter to the 'sandboxy vision' why did you only list off THEMEPARK games and I listed off SANDBOX games?
    The sandbox games have far less gear in them...  by design.
    you CAN create a 'personal identity' in this game, far more than in any other game I've played.  It has a far more intricate character creator AND you can have a backstory for your character that everyone can view from the character window just like old school MMOs.
    This game is mostly like if SWG only went HALF NGE.
    edited March 2016
    Vanguard is a themepark game? Ok :)

Yes, if I want to be a Ranger character:

I have to be female
    I have to be human
    I have to use a bow and dagger
    I have to wait until max level to change how I look

That's amazing customization because I can change my make-up and pick between  a few nearly identical starting costumes right?

Sure.
    Yes, you listed off ONE sandbox game,  I listed off 3.  The rest of them were all themepark, and Vanguard was a hybrid with it's own unique spin on things.
    I can see you don't want a discussion you want an argument. 
    I'll just leave you to your self entertainment.  

DKLond said:

I have to be female    (That's because of the story, with the black spirit...)
    I have to be human   (Actually rangers are ALL elves)
    I have to use a bow and dagger     (Yes, because you're a ranger..)
    I have to wait until max level to change how I look     (no, you don't, you just refuse to read)

That's amazing customization because I can change my make-up and pick between  a few nearly identical starting costumes right?

Sure.

Yes, because sandbox games can't have appearance changes or? You make zero sense. Asheron's Call and SWG had tons of appearance changes from the start until the end.

Let's turn this into a who can randomly come up with more sandbox titles and ignore what my problem is.

Sure, I just want an argument :)

You like BDO and that's cool. I think it has some potential, but I don't like everything about it. Deal with it.
    DKLond said:

I have to be female
    I have to be human
    I have to use a bow and dagger
    I have to wait until max level to change how I look

Sure.
    I don't like that more than you do, but I can accept it considering the richness of the rest of the game.
    I'm trying to figure out whether that's true for me as well.

So far, the game seems to be trying REALLY hard to drive me away.

But I'll give it a fair shot.