Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pick a class

Comments

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited February 2016
    Well since Ranger will likely be a pet class, im leaning Monk. Sounds like itll be a DD but if not then hopefully itll lean more towards MT/OT instead of Heals.

Dire Lord sounds interesting, albeit vague... interesting name for what sounds like a Warlock/Necromancer.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Kayo83 said:

Dire Lord sounds interesting, albeit vague... interesting name for what sounds like a Warlock/Necromancer.
    I'm assuming the Dire Lord is more like the Shadow Knight from EQ2, which is the direct opposition of the Paladin in alignment.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Vanguard was supposed to have the spirit of EQ and it wasn't even close. So when it comes to Pantheon i'll believe it when I play it.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    [x] Necromancer

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Kayo83 said:
    Well since Ranger will likely be a pet class, im leaning Monk. Sounds like itll be a DD but if not then hopefully itll lean more towards MT/OT instead of Heals.

Really hope we'll get a choice to have a pet or not if the Pantheon Rangers are going to get pets. I'd like to trade my tanking ability for DPS or something else if they do something like an AA tree... 
  • DaderickDaderick Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I went with Enchanter until they I see that Enchanters have no real power and are just around to buff DPS classes and be substandard DPS themselves...then it's Direlord.

Visit us over at Star Citizen Privateer!

• DirtyblissDirtybliss Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Crazy, these classes totally remind me of Everquest Online Adventures (the one that was on the PS2 lol). With the exception of the dire lord being a shadow knight. The summoner being a magician  and the crusader being a paladin. i think the crusader was a sub class of the paladin thought. Everything else is the same, anyways.

I love going Warrior so id go with that.  More then likely get bored with it within a month and reroll as a cleric.
  • falcukfalcuk Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Went with Summoner, i played a Paladin in EQ1 from Vanilla right through to PoP when i switched to Beastlord, im older now and reactions not what they were, Summoner playstyle seems perfect to me, if its a cross between EQ1 and EQ2 Magician type it will be excellent.

Might dabble in Wizard though as well, i like range dps, and if they get the balance right and its like EQ1/2 where you need to manage your aggro, it will be a blast playing one.

From Vanguard i played a Ranger and a Disciple, Disciple was excellent fun, so OP, Ranger was also alot of fun, foraging and making your own arrows etc
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Glad I didn't go off the reservation.  That could have been embarrassing :)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

In a nut shell, with 101 votes, its nice to see a well rounded class balance.

I just hope the Tank and Healer classes will be exciting enough that people will play them. 

And it's equally important that they can hold their own outside of grouping.

In World of Warcraft Warriors and Priest were considered the best tank and healer classes.  Yet they were the least rewarding classes to play in the open world, few played them. 

So what did Blizzard do ?.......They created the Looking for Dungeon Tool, instead of fixing their classes, this in turn screwed up every mmo since then :(

Vanguard was the exception. Tanks and Healers were both exciting and world friendly !

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2016
    Shaman if it plays like WoW shaman.

Warrior if it can use many different weapons and play differently with each like GW2.

Crusader if i can ditch the shield and go full on DPS with a two handed weapon and heavy plates (Ret Pally but without the lame long cooldown based gameplay)

Wizard/Mage/Sorcerer if i can specialize in whatever magic i want, (sorcery, elemental magic, blood magic, etc)
    I think the classes will be more EQ2 than WoW.

1) SHAMAN - Of all of the classes, EQ2 Shaman probably plays most similar to WoW Shaman; wears chain mail, casts a mix of single target and AoE heals, but still has some good ranged attacks.  No 2hand fighting weapon though, sword & board or stave.  Known for their blend of heals and ranged damage.

2) Warrior probably will be like Guardian in EQ2, which used the widest variety of weapons and had the strongest physical defense.  Most like tanking Warrior in WoW, although they could spec for DPS and carry a 2hander very well.

3) Crusader seems like it will be most like an EQ2 Paladin.  That's a good thing.  EQ2 Paladins were minimalist healers, and had very good DPS for a plate wearer.  They have really good taunts, they have higher spell resistance than a warrior, and their heals acted as taunts when they were self applied.  I played a Paladin in EQ2, and depending on the boss, I would often be the main tank.  If they were mostly physical damage, I was support for the Guardian tank and back up tank if he went down.  If they were mostly spells, I would main tank, and the Guardian was my support/backup.  50/50, It would go to whichever had the better gear and spells.  I felt WAY more useful in EQ2 than WoW playing a Paladin.  And yes, you can use a 2hander for decent DPS with EQ2 Paladins.

4) casters in EQ2 were glass cannons.  They do tons of DPS, but die easily.  Have lots of health pots if you solo!  My main team in EQ2 was my Paladin, a friend that played Warlock, and a third guy playing a Shaman.  We did very, very well with that setup.  My friend's glass constitution was never a problem as long as I was alive. 

EQ2 was not the easiest game in the universe; making a wrong decision about when to charge in often resulted in a wipe.  It looks like Pantheon is heading the same direction.  I'm fine with that.  So many games are too easy, and that's fine for a while, but no challenge = increasing boredom.  If they strike the right balance between easy mode and tough as nails, I'm in for the long haul.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    I found it hard to pick a class because i don't know what a "summener" is...  Just ribbing you (spellcheck is your friend btw).

However, i usually am a hard core paladin type, but i am thinking i will wizard it up in pantheon.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Wizardry said:
    EQ classes were over rated,too many button/icons to accomplish very little,it was more like spamming hotkeys.Give the classes more tools instead of more 2 second spamming hotkeys.

They were nice EASY systems for SOE to maintain and develop but not overly create or intuitive.Example they went with all poison or all Arcane etc etc.put some more creative versatility in there instead of easy menu systems.
    I would rather have fewer classes with more great tools/abilities than 20 classes of fluff.
    All i can think of is the FFXI RDM "RedMage" if any developer can recreate that kind of versatility in a class,they win two Arrowroot cookies :P.

FFXI was NOT your soloing game,not by any stretch ,yet because of a sub class system and the versatility of the RDM,it could seriously solo mobs "Boss mobs" that a full group could not or might struggle to.That is when you know you created some amazing classes.
    Instead what i have noticed in every game,is that classes feel LOCKED,they feel like player skill does not matter one bit,your gear matters more than you do and that to me is really bad class and game design.

Are you sure you played EQ?...In classic there was only 8 spell slots...Depending on the class most were situational....EQ2 was the button mashing, 5-6 toolbar game
    Classic EQ was a LONG time ago.  Today EQ has aa's that keep you busy, and caster have good mana regen so they dont have to be stingy with their casting.  My wizard had 10 hotkey bars almost filled.  I didnt use all of them all the time, but every one of those hotkeys was used enough that I didnt want to go trying to find it when I did need it.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It's nice to see an even spread out of players classes, but this could limit % of tanks and healers.

I hope several classes can be viable for the positions.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

It's nice to see an even spread out of players classes, but this could limit % of tanks and healers.

I hope several classes can be viable for the positions.

Well we know 3 classes can serve as tanks. The big question is how well druids and shamans will function as the sole healer in groups (and how they could serve as such while maintaining their traditional identities).

I don't want to sound like an alarmist, but I've brought this up a number of times both here and on the official forums. Imo, they made a mistake by essentially declaring clerics the best at all the usual forms of healing. In the age of min/maxers, I can't really see a way this won't lead to the same predicament we had in EQ where everyone was dependent on a single class if they wanted an efficient group.

I think its time to consider another "pure" healer class before its too late.

• tats27tats27 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Dire Lord or Cleric until Necro releases 
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    My class style is necro. Which unfortunately didn't make it into this game. :(
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Winning
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I voted monk because EQ monk has always been one of my favorite classes of all time.  In reality I will likely play a wiz or nec at the start because I like to be able to solo sometimes, too, and if the classes are anything like EQ then the casters will outperform the melee easily as soloers.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Kayo83 said:

Audit: It has come to my attention that Ranger will likely NOT be a "full time pet class" so im (figuratively) changing my vote to Ranger. TBH Ill likely have a ton of alts that will probably follow within 10 levels of what ever "main" I get but Ranger will be the first one I make.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Gilcroix said:
    My class style is necro. Which unfortunately didn't make it into this game. :(
    No worries, Necro is my fav as well and it will be in together with the Bard after release.

So, because of that... Hello Mr Monk, you're mine! :)

• MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    If the druid and shaman are anything like the EQ versions then I'll definitely be playing as one.  I like being able to solo and provide group support.  

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    i picked shaman, not druid.

if  can make an ogre shaman i will.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Done.

Now what?

(I am basing this on EQ1 vanilla classes - which is the blueprint for Pantheon) 
    Think blueprint is to strong a word plus there is some Vanguard in there as well.

Ok does this change your mind? (brad mcquaid talking about Pantheon)

Not to be nitpicky, but that was also three years ago.  Are you sure EQ1 is still the only thing he is pulling from, despite the many posts from fans who promote Vanguard as well?  If he is really deaf to his Vanguard fans, he's in for some trouble.
    i would hope not.

can't make it exactly like EQ, it would fail hard.

i'm sure they have new ideas and/or ideas they have taken from vanguard and other games that make sense.

i am speculating though.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I like to at least play EVERY class to around 20 or 30 but only on one player,i am not a fan of altaholic gaming.When i make a character,that character is my role play,that is ME,i don't want 4/5/6/7/8 versions of mini me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.