Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - subscriber bonus and flair items

Comments

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Thourne said:
    Originally posted by sgel
    Originally posted by Erillion

Why would that even matter at this point in time? Are you seriously saying 100m wasn't enough and we have to kiss the asses of those that spent 1,000s of dollars in the hopes they continue spending money even with the live game(if it ever comes out) so that CGI just doesn't shut down Starcitizen, even though they got more than enough funding for the game?

That isnt how the game works and we don't honor the RSI circle jerk of whomever spent the most of a virtual ship on these forums. If you want to be proud and gloat to others about your constellation then go back to the SC forums.

I think the game will play out as the more expensive the ship the more powerful and harder to buy it will be, which will give unfair advantages. I also don't think the game is going to be anywhere remotely as good as Chris Roberts promotes nor will it have all the features/feature creep he was paid for.
    Frankly I think as soon as a few swarms of people in starter ships start stealing them people are going to get some serious buyers remorse.
    Why would they? Most of those people have Lifetime insurance and insurance won't be that expensive or so we're told to begin with. Only thing it might hurt them is if they had mods on their ship, but people with the massive ships will be with zerg outfits anyways.

MurderHerd

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

So people are going to be starting the game with whole armadas of ships while other people start with auroras.

When the average spending of people for pledge packages is slightly above 100 bucks (669,769 people with pledge packages,  78.516.390 $ in funds raised, average spending 117 $)  , please explain where you get the idea that people will start the game with whole armadas of ships ?

Have fun

The average means sweet frak all. You can't use that as a metric.

You could have all backers bar one spend $10 each and then the final backer spend $71.5 million and you'd still get an average of $117 per backer. There's no relation to how much people have spent at all.

https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a is a better example of how people are spending their money.

Thanks for this.  People should really take a look at it.  The survey size was convincing enough.  The age profile was younger than I expected.  I've been told that this project is fueled mainly by 30-something CR nostalgia fans, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I'm well above the median age by eyeballing it; maybe that partly explains why this project doesn't appeal to me.  The yearly income profile was interesting; also lower than expected.  The most telling piece, the total amount spent, struck me as very top-heavy.  Not at all a bell-curve.

Once again, I'm very glad I didn't back this thing.  I don't have a crystal ball, but let me offer a modest prediction: that top bracket is going to cause some problems for the persistent universe and the game as a whole on release day.

I had assumed that people who spent thousands of dollars on the game so far were rich and it meant little to them.  But on further reading one guy said he actually had a family and spent the 10k he put into the game by working side jobs.  So some people may be straining their budgets.  

But back on point, nice gesture with the extra cash.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757
    Thourne said:

Why would that even matter at this point in time? Are you seriously saying 100m wasn't enough and we have to kiss the asses of those that spent 1,000s of dollars in the hopes they continue spending money even with the live game(if it ever comes out) so that CGI just doesn't shut down Starcitizen, even though they got more than enough funding for the game?

That isnt how the game works and we don't honor the RSI circle jerk of whomever spent the most of a virtual ship on these forums. If you want to be proud and gloat to others about your constellation then go back to the SC forums.

I think the game will play out as the more expensive the ship the more powerful and harder to buy it will be, which will give unfair advantages. I also don't think the game is going to be anywhere remotely as good as Chris Roberts promotes nor will it have all the features/feature creep he was paid for.
    Frankly I think as soon as a few swarms of people in starter ships start stealing them people are going to get some serious buyers remorse.
    Why would they? Most of those people have Lifetime insurance and insurance won't be that expensive or so we're told to begin with. Only thing it might hurt them is if they had mods on their ship, but people with the massive ships will be with zerg outfits anyways.
    Insurance isn't instant.
    That stolen ship could be weeks of waiting to get replaced.
    Also anything on it is gone.
  • ThourneThourne Member RarePosts: 757

I had assumed that people who spent thousands of dollars on the game so far were rich and it meant little to them.  But on further reading one guy said he actually had a family and spent the 10k he put into the game by working side jobs.  So some people may be straining their budgets.  

Really it is no different than any other hobby.
    Some people live in trailers but own RVs, Boats and Snowmobiles.
    People can have, let us call it, unusual priorities.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Thourne said:
    Kefo said:
    Thourne said:
    Kefo said:
    Thourne said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Erillion said:
    " Later he further clarified and explained that all of subscriber content would not exist or have been shared without the benefit of the subscriptions, and while there may be some cases where CIG will break something in Jump Point first, it will not be subscriber only information, and it will be shared with the whole community shortly after.
    Why? Because he said so? The guy got 100 million dollars. He can't find it in his heart to do this without an extra 100k a month?
    It wouldn't exist because no development money is spent on it. 
    To do it otherwise would take money out of development and they weren't going to do that.
    Quite simple really.
    So the extremely transparent dev progress that was promised to everyone wouldn't exist unless people paid them more money above and beyond the crowdfunding dollars when it was specifically stated this was going to be super open?
    The video programs and extras wouldn't.
    The information would instead be simple text on their website and posts in their forums.
    Why is this so hard to understand?
    We would still get the info but not in the format it is coming in.
    Assuming that's true why wouldn't they just go that route then? Are the subscriber numbers high enough to pay all these extra costs? I don't recall seeing any official numbers that would show how much they pull in from subs and how much it costs to do all this extra content
    Sorry I don't have access to their books mate.
    But they were supposed to provide only what could be afforded on the budget the subs pay for and nothing more.
    That is the best I can answer you mate.
    It's an acceptable answer. I don't know if I believe that they are staying within budget given how CR seems to overspend on everything
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15198-February-Subscriber-Flair

Subscriber Flair Item for February - Mustang Beta Display Model.

Have fun

• BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    I just hope for SC's sake, that when it does launch, it has over 20,000 online players on a daily basis (Which I know it won't, just by looking around twitter / FB / instagram / forums), because if only 1,200 are on, good luck trying to explain the "100+ million$" support.  That means 1 million people on average have put 100$ on packages, but on FaceBook they barely got over 100K people.   So yeah, post all you want, but this screams red flags and scam since day 1.  This stupid company talks more about packages and subscription prices instead of talking about actual release date.  Why are these threads even allowed to be started in the first place? Let alone reach 5 pages?  Not even the legend Billy Mays could save SC. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    BigRambo said:
    I just hope for SC's sake, that when it does launch, it has over 20,000 online players on a daily basis (Which I know it won't, just by looking around twitter / FB / instagram / forums), because if only 1,200 are on, good luck trying to explain the "100+ million$" support.  That means 1 million people on average have put 100$ on packages, but on FaceBook they barely got over 100K people.   So yeah, post all you want, but this screams red flags and scam since day 1.  This stupid company talks more about packages and subscription prices instead of talking about actual release date.  Why are these threads even allowed to be started in the first place? Let alone reach 5 pages?  Not even the legend Billy Mays could save SC. 

I don't use Facebook or twitter or Instagram.  And I play computer games every day.  I get my information and talk about games on company forums and fan sites like this.  I suspect the number of gamers like me would boggle your mind. 

Not everyone lives their life's on social media sites and apps.  Oddly I work in IT and spend my days helping people connect with the technology you speak of and help develop mobile apps, I just don't use it myself.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited February 2016
    You can already subscribe to the game? I thought there was no game yet.
    Yes, to enjoy more "open development" and to finance good shows like ATV.
    You get the monthly Jump Point Digital Magazine (to get development info and screenshots you otherwise won't get), access to a subscribers only sub forum and monthly perks.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    There isn't, all they have is a concept mod.. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Yes, to enjoy more "open development" and to finance good shows like ATV.
    You get the monthly Jump Point Digital Magazine (to get development info and screenshots you otherwise won't get), access to a subscribers only sub forum and monthly perks.
    Thank you for the summary.

The perks are cosmetic only, some flair items for the hangar.

The subscription is NOT for the game but for the crowdfunding campaign. A number of people voluntarily have subscribed to a program so that more information is being generated for the backers in the form of a digital magazine and a lot of video blogs. With that money the editor of the Jump Point magazine and the cameraman are being paid.

There is NO mandatory monthly fee for Star Citizen.

While subscribers see some artwork and the articles in Jump Point magazine sooner than others, most of it finds its way to the official homepage after a few weeks or months so all the other backers can enjoy it too.

Have fun
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    You also get access to super-elite forums where you supposedly get "more direct contact with devs" in the form of "a better chance of having your question answered", and you get conditioning and behavioral advice from scorg, to make your puerile servitude more pleasant.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited February 2016

So people are going to be starting the game with whole armadas of ships while other people start with auroras.

When the average spending of people for pledge packages is slightly above 100 bucks (669,769 people with pledge packages,  78.516.390 $ in funds raised, average spending 117 $)  , please explain where you get the idea that people will start the game with whole armadas of ships ?

Have fun

You could have all backers bar one spend $10 each and then the final backer spend $71.5 million and you'd still get an average of $117 per backer. There's no relation to how much people have spent at all.

https://www.instant.ly/report/54a985dde4b0cea5d72c8c2a is a better example of how people are spending their money.

Thanks for this.  People should really take a look at it.  The survey size was convincing enough.  The age profile was younger than I expected.  I've been told that this project is fueled mainly by 30-something CR nostalgia fans, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I'm well above the median age by eyeballing it; maybe that partly explains why this project doesn't appeal to me.  The yearly income profile was interesting; also lower than expected.  The most telling piece, the total amount spent, struck me as very top-heavy.  Not at all a bell-curve.

Once again, I'm very glad I didn't back this thing.  I don't have a crystal ball, but let me offer a modest prediction: that top bracket is going to cause some problems for the persistent universe and the game as a whole on release day.

Very few rich people that earned their money through hard work are stupid enough to spend $10,000 on pixels. The reason why they became rich is because they did not do stupid things like that.

Poor and middle class people with a credit card spend this kind of money to make them feel good because otherwise their life is empty and boring. They rake up impressive credit card debt because for them buying things is a drug and they are brainwashed by TV and commercials suggesting it improves their lives and they have to be like everyone else and own things they don't need.

2015 American Household Credit Card Debt Study:

Total owed by average U.S. household carrying this type of debtTotal debt owed by U.S. consumers
    Credit cards$15,355$712 billion
    Mortgages$165,892$8.12 trillion
    Auto loans$26,530$1.03 trillion
    Student loans$47,712$1.21 trillion

These numbers are staggering. Makes you feel good when you know you are debt free and no one owns you. It's the ultimate freedom.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Wow, a subscription to a crowdfunding campaign.  Never thought I'd see the day.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

If CIG was smart, they'd go into the financing sector, offering 50-crew Knight 9000 spaceships with new and improved derp, for $99 a month, 89% apr.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Have fun

Very few rich people that earned their money through hard work are stupid enough to spend $10,000 on pixels. The reason why they became rich is because they did not do stupid things like that.

Poor and middle class people with a credit card spend this kind of money to make them feel good because otherwise their life is empty and boring. They rake up impressive credit card debt because for them buying things is a drug and they are brainwashed by TV and commercials suggesting it improves their lives and they have to be like everyone else and own things they don't need.

2015 American Household Credit Card Debt Study:

Total owed by average U.S. household carrying this type of debtTotal debt owed by U.S. consumers
    Credit cards$15,355$712 billion
    Mortgages$165,892$8.12 trillion
    Auto loans$26,530$1.03 trillion
    Student loans$47,712$1.21 trillion

These numbers are staggering. Makes you feel good when you know you are debt free and no one owns you. It's the ultimate freedom.
    I'm surprised they actually accept credit for things like this (crowdfunding), I'd think they'd want the guarantee of the actual cash flow direct purchases provide (bank transfers, Debit, Paypal, etc..). 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Erillion said:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15198-February-Subscriber-Flair

Subscriber Flair Item for February - Mustang Beta Display Model.

Have fun

Adjuvant1 said:

Have fun

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Welp, as soon as it's done I may spend more otherwise I going to sit this out and let my Aurora sit in the hangar till then probably.

edited March 2016
    If you want to do something different than doing crash-cart racing with your Buggy in your Star Citizen Hangar .... you may also want to keep tabs on No Man's Sky ...

According to a quickly deleted official Sony post
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/no-man-s-sky-pre-order-live-this-week-price-revealed-3434342
    No Man's Sky  Playstation 4 pre-orders should start TODAY (3rd March 2016 ) for a price of 59,99 $.  Lets see if that posting was correct. I expect some new trailer to appear together with an official announcement.

In other news Elite:Dangerous Horizons 2.1 Engineers update has been delayed from Spring 2016 to late summer 2016.

Star Conflict is giving out 2000 free ships (Black Hort Premium Fighter (Rank 3) )

A free text adventure lets you BE George Lucas and invent Star Wars. Alternatively you can look at pictures of yams ;-)
    http://www.clickhole.com/clickventure/youre-george-lucas-1975-can-you-create-star-wars-3822#1,

Star Citizen itself is now at Alpha 2.2 Version j on the PTU Server. Some call it the Anti-Goon patch ;-)

Have fun

edited March 2016
    https5postimgorgv9gbk0y9zStar_Citizen_2016_03_05_18_33_07_059png

BDBSE = Best Damn Bonsai Simulator Ever!

ScreenShot0000_zps2g2hlligjpg

Dev Correction (CIG Alexis):
    "Sorry for the confusion- the plant that is currently in the hangar is the Xi'An Space plant that was given as the $49 million stretch goal reward. The in-hangar description is incorrect and will be changed. The Space Flower (Subscriber Flair) won't appear in hangars until this coming Friday. "

Have fun

And another beautiful blossom for your hangar ...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15237-March-Subscriber-Flair

"Name of plant: Tuserac Plena aka Emperor Blossom
    Origin: Terra, Terra
    Average Lifespan: Estimated: 50-100 SEY
    Description: A member of the Tuserac family of flowers, the Emperor Blossom is one of the most recognizable indigenous plants from Terra. For most of the year, the flower is obscured, covered by what appears to be an unremarkable brown husk, similar to the Typha/Cattail of Earth. When an ideal temperature is reached, the plant enters its blooming phase: the petals peel back, revealing the striking colors underneath. Tens of thousands cross the Zaffre Bay every year for the Twilight Festival which coincides with the blooming of this beautiful flower."

Have fun

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Erillion said:
    The subscription is NOT for the game but for the crowdfunding campaign. A number of people voluntarily have subscribed to a program so that more information is being generated for the backers in the form of a digital magazine and a lot of video blogs. With that money the editor of the Jump Point magazine and the cameraman are being paid.

LOL wait.. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited March 2016
    klash2def said:
    LOL wait.. 
    Right?

People can actually pay to witness a slightly more transparent development of the most transparent game development ever. What is it, like, 5 hours a week? CIG can't find it in their hearts to appropriate a couple people a handful of hours a week to a really average production and a couple news stories? Could they not claim on IMDB these are "TV shows" were they not to go through the added expense?

Oh, but with that you get access to concierge forums, special people forums, the forums of the elite, where only special, subscribing people can post. So bad. I feel really bad for those people.

edit: I don't believe, for one second either, there is some "different disparate kitty". It's all CIG money, and while one can say , "oh, well this thousand dollars comes from this account, between our 14+ entities among which we constantly shuffle funds", it's all cash to and from the same hands. Who actually believes in this?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    To be honest, I wish I could believe in this game enough to subscribe.  The gaming industry is looking pretty sad right now.  Very few original games, AAA titles failing or being cancelled after years, the gaming press too scared to write anything negative and almost every game gets a score of 7 in reviews. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD