Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why is this game dead exactly?

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    The group content was ridiculous. Basically dodge the red stuff, was more like an arcade twitch game than an MMO.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Personally I had little problem with this game.

But.

Very poor optimization was the biggest issue for me.

Of course other players had various other issues with the game and when my friends list + neighbors were all gone. That was my breaking point.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The commercials got me interested in the game which were basically come have a crazy laid-back time, just have some fun, they were anything but hardcore.     

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Fans are still pretty much delusional on forums. They think its release in Asian market will make it  a hit again.. bwahahaahah!! 
  • enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    They released, they lied about the promised weekly or monthly updates.. whatever it was.. all I know is this was the only reason I had brought the game... but they went back on there word... so I canceled.
  • ScielaSciela Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I left because it was just boring. Lore wasn't a big thing (Tweet-length text!), combat was horribly simplistic and boring, and the raiding was just pathetic. Plus, if you didn't do housing, there was nothing to do outside of fighting things.

Just kind of sick of "action" games.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    4Renziks said:
    Just pick this one up.. got a spellslinger to 10 then medic to 13.  With all the shit mmos out there and terrible f2p models theres no reason this game should be a ghost town.  The biggest flaw of the game right now is low level population. To me its a more indepth version of WoW or WoW 2.0.  Does the game start good and become superman 64 after lvl 20 or something ? what am I missing?
    It's the same MMO that has been around for years.  Stale combat made even worse by the telegraph system, stale classes and graphics, nothing new or innovative at all.  In short it's just a boring run of the mill game that is lackluster in about every way.

On a side note, I am glad you enjoy it but as you have already figured out you are in a small minority of game players.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    The one reason its dead is NCSOFT, anything they touch dies a horrible death even games which are successful.
    No. One can "decry" NCSoft closing games "we" would like to continue playing when - by their analysis - they no longer make money but that is business.

WS only exists because NCSoft bought and subsequently funded Carbine for 7 years. If anything NCSoft's failure, imo, is that they allowed Carbine to spend to long developing the game before they released it; and every year that passed put an extra hole in the boat.
  • gearchin13gearchin13 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    4Renziks said:
    Company hubris is what caused the initial exodus, and the game never recovered. 
    now we are getting somewhere! so its not the game so much as it is the creators.  Still lost a little...if god made a good world but was an asshole I much prefer that over a shitty world and a nice god.
    a portion of it is in my opinion, mmos are/were moving away from big raids i.e40 mans to more streamlined 10-25mans, so that killed some of the hype at the beginning.(at least for me).
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    4Renziks said:
    Just pick this one up.. got a spellslinger to 10 then medic to 13.  With all the shit mmos out there and terrible f2p models theres no reason this game should be a ghost town.  The biggest flaw of the game right now is low level population. To me its a more indepth version of WoW or WoW 2.0.  Does the game start good and become superman 64 after lvl 20 or something ? what am I missing?
    This game lots most people once you hit dungeons. Telegraphs gets so heavy it becomes a mini game. Was fun at first but the higher the level the more complex the telegraphs get to the level its really hardcore. Bosses become more about memorizing patterns and orders of patterns then playing the game. Start doing dungeons at level 20 and you will get it. You will love it (small % do) or you will hate it. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Viper482 said:
    The group content was ridiculous. Basically dodge the red stuff, was more like an arcade twitch game than an MMO.
    Haha eyes wide open,finally others see these games as i do.

Look at the popularity of crap like Diablo and it's clones,people are obsessed with mindless easy gaming.If gamer's had to think or take part in something actually challenging they would form a rebellion.

As much as i despise red carpet crap,it really is nothing more than what i played in FFXI except with the carpet it is hand holding.Personally it is a joke,it doesn't even make plausible sense that you get all these varied patterns to dodge away from.
    If your fighting a Dragon the only thing that might happen is front coal fire damage or he might smash some with his tail or stomp on players.There would not be magical red patterns all over the ground lol.

The other problem is a whole server full of people just racing to end level then wonder why the game sucks when all they have to do is grind for end game loot.
    Gaming needs to lose two ideas badly.lose LEVELS and lose RAIDING.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2016
    Something that hasn't been brought up yet in this thread was the itemization.  I saw tons of people complaining that the dungeons weren't worth doing because the loot was worse than stuff you could easily get from crafting.  It led to a spiral where people got to level 50, brought up some cheap crafted gear that was better than 99.99% of the non-raid dungeon loot in the game, and then had nothing to do after that.

After all, they were already max level so there was no more exp to grind. And they already had the best gear outside of raiding so there was no reason to go out and search for more.  So basically, there was NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do besides raid at that point.

And they couldn't raid because the door to the raid wouldn't let them in until they spent weeks "attuning" to dungeons.  Dungeons that gave them no loot and no exp.

The graphics and combat made a lot of people quit before level 50, but it was the horrible itemization and idiotic attunement raid gate system that made everyone who made it to level 50 leave, I think.  Well, that's what I could gather from the various posts I read (and I read a lot.  Train wrecks are fascinating!)

I hear the devs attempted to improve the itemization since then but I haven't heard if they succeeded or not. Likely too little, too late, I imagine.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited March 2016
    Basically, there is nothing left to do after getting max level, which can be done very quicky. This rush to end-game mindset that took over the MMO landscape after WoW is a cancer.

It just make MMos like single player games: finish the adventure and put the game on the shelf.
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited March 2016
    Why is it dead??? Honestly the WORST game I have ever played. Obviously some people think differently, but MOST, thought the game was bad also...and it was. To the above poster....I LOVE PVE, and the fact that it was PVE based had NOTHING to do with it failing. BAD IS BAD. BTW did you know that PVEers out number PVPers by about 8 to 1?????
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Combat has a learning curve not many people want to master - they either say its a one button smasher, or it gets too complex for their taste. It's probably the most engaging combat out there for MMO's when played correctly. Can it be telegraph spam in PvP? sure, but a lot of utility skills mixed in make it so you can counter almost anything. Your trying to do damage, use a cc ability to interrupt or stun a target, a cc break, or using a movement ability to get out of immediate danger; while also being sure to sprint and dodge out of danger. Once played correctly - you actually feel engaged in combat with your foe.

Wildstar isn't as bad as people make it out to be imo. It can be a lot of fun but it does have its quirks. Carbine made bad decisions at the start but they have also made some changes for the better over time, not always easy with the uphill battle they have been facing since day 1. There are still issues but nothing compared to what it was before.

Wildstar is a MUST if you like Dungeons and Raids. Definitely some of the best content out there once you have gotten your class down. These have also been made easier for the casual crowd but they left a few bosses that still need some skill to overcome. GA is an intro raid - the real gem is Datascape. Diverse settings, cool fights, interesting mechanics - 6 elemental bosses that switch teams every week giving a new boss and shaking up the repetitive. That raid made all the effort to play this game worth it.

Wildstar does have a content lull for veteran players. Switching gears to making the F2P changes, prepping the China release, and now making efforts for Steam takes resources, again not easy for the uphill battle they set themselves up for. The changes they have made though really make the difference - maybe they aren't perfect but it shows they are trying to meet players needs/wants. 

Wildstar's style can be a bit too cartoony for people but they do make things their own style, for better or worse. I really didn't like the style when I first tried it but I will admit they actually did a good job overall. The starting zones can seen bright, but once you get towards end game it starts to get darker and has a bit more grit.

There is plenty to do at max level but you might have to wait for queues from time to time. Vet Expeditions, Vet Dungeons, Raids, Story Expeditions, Housing - it's pretty damn good, PvP - arenas,bgs, even Warplots every Saturday on Entity server. The coming Arcterra is even a whole new type of zone that actually engages players with events and "snowballing" boss mechanics. BUT Wildstar has been a bit over tuned in the rewards department - plenty to do is no longer grinding and spending hour after hour on the game - you can play casually and still feel like you got a lot done.

In F2P, it has to be one of the best models out there. The recent increase for sub players to get omnibits (mobs drop currency that can be used in the cash shop) makes it worth it, while not buying anything locks nothing from the player. 

I have been playing Wildstar since beta - been through the bad times and the good times, and I definitely think the game takes effort on the players half to really get into it, but it is definitely worth it. Unfortunately, I don't think people truly want to put in that effort that it deserves. 

/fanboyrant
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240
    What killed it for me was when some NPC called me cupcake (+ all the cartoonish graphics).
    It was a quick path to uninstall.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The game was horribly optimized, and a lot of people with decent hardware couldn't run it well. In part it had something to do with the way the UI was implemented. Turn off the UI, and the FPS skyrocketed. Yet as far as I know (played until about a week after launch), despite the community figuring this out and demonstrating it, it still wasn't fixed, and Carbine barely even mentioned optimization issues. 

Combat was terrible. Even normal fights had a ridiculous amount of telegraphs to avoid, and the constant moving about meant you could accidentally aggro too many mobs and die horribly. Honestly, it felt like playing one of those damn rhythm games such as Guitar Hero, which I loathe. 

Carbine's cavalier and often condescending attitude toward players they deemed 'not hardcore' was a big turn off as well. They basically said, "You're not welcome here, get lost, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!" 

Not a smart move to alienate 90% or so of the MMO player base, as they're learning all too well. I wouldn't say I'm happy about that, but I sure as hell don't have any sympathy for them. They were warned, they didn't listen, and they brought ruin upon themselves with their hubris. Laser-guided karma in action. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Personally I just didn't care for the combat or controls in general. I did however like the games humor and found some of the quests entertaining. In the end that just wasn't enough for me to stick around. 
  • PsyqotiqPsyqotiq Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I didn't mind the combat in WS. Honestly it was the questing....getting handed 35 quests at once from every outpost I came across was a little overwhelming.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    ...lets not forget the crafting...regurgitation comes to mind.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

My issue was optimization being poor, and that the game would have been far better with tab targeting.

just those 2 things for me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I tried it for a while when it first went f2p. Granted I only played to about level 20+, there are several things I didn't like very much about it.

1. The gameplay is monotonous. Questing, leveling, and the occasional instances are all you do in the game, as such it feels uninspired and tedious. The standard "go there do that" kind of quest hopping gameplay simply made things worse.

2.The main plot, together with the many subplots/side quest chains, was confusing and poorly written I just stopped paying attention to it after a while.

3. The style of the game, that is, the whole artwork, story, setting etc. were intended to be comical and humorous in nature. However I didn't find it funny and it felt as if the game just doesn't take itself seriously. To me Sci-Fi and comedy don't mix well.

4. This one's not entirely the game's fault but at the lower levels, there were hardly any people to interact with. For the whole week I spent on the game it felt like I was playing a single player game doing the exact same things over and over again.

5. The game isn't challenging at all. Powerful gears were easily obtained and I was able to easily win any combat against multiple enemies. Together with the tons of side quests, I was quickly outleveling the area I was in, which made things from easy to boring.

Ultimately there was nothing that distinguishes the game from a standard, run of the mill, MMO. What features it had that even remotely made the game different (the humor for instance) did more harm than good. But then again that is just my opinion, I'm sure there are people who actually enjoy the humor and stuff.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    edited April 2016
    So many reasons i can think of

1. Over the top cartoon artstyle, but with hardcore dungeons and raids. (Audience conflict)
    2. Complete lack of a feeling of impact when performing attacks
    3. PvP is a total complete clusterfudge with the entire floor drenched in colored boxes.
    4. Why play this, when you've already invested so much time in a competitor, for example WoW, sure combats a bit different, but a week in It's going to feel like the same grind anyway.
    5. Launched with a Subscription model in a time where that model was on a steady decline and plenty of decent F2P titles where coming out.
    6. Story was totally uninteresting
    7. It was a mix of Sci-fi and Fantasy, again, an audience conflict, most people i know prefer one or the other.
    8. Questing was just dull, the game innovated very little and felt like the same thing all over again.

At the end of the day Wildstar was by no means a bad game, but it simply wasn't good enough to stand out.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited April 2016
    This game would be cool if it were launched 10 years ago.