Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So why is this game dead exactly?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I was excited to try it and found it meh. It was nothing new and the lag was horrible for me. And before you say "get a new computer", I play most other games just fine.
  • Rogal_UrsonRogal_Urson Member UncommonPosts: 26
    The issue with WildStar is this: WildStar's Carbine Studios was founded by a group of developers from WoW who felt that WoW wasn't catering to the HARDCORE community. They developed WS as a way to attract the harcore players with a predominantly PvP and raiding environment, while basically "phoning it in" when it came to a PvE.

I beta tested WS and was there for the launch. What turned me off was the fact that the game was so poorly optimized, that there was MASSIVE control lag (ie 2-3 full seconds before a keystroke was registered). Although post-launch the control lag was reduced, still even with a decent system that exceeded both the minimum and recommended technical specs for playing the game, I couldn't forgive.

In addition, one of the lead developers at Carbine at one point said that they didn't make this game for casuals, but for hardcore players and that they really didn't care about casual players.  Having been in retail and customer service for almost 20 years, comments like that are never a good thing to say.  The issue is that there aren't enough hardcore players to support a game like that.  All of the hardcore players, those into PvP and WvW, are playing MOBAs, not WoW clones.  

Frankly, when you have a game that has somewhat mediocre PvP and major issues with a PvE campaign, no matter what you say, it will usually fail. The evidence now is the recent announcement about the server merges and the fact that they are folding in both the PvP and the PvE mechanics together. This game is on it's way down. I predict that WS will shut down before the end of this year.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited February 2016
    The lesson should be: do not build WoW clones.

WoW was a success because it got player addicted to the purple grind.
    Once players got over the raiding addiction: it was game over for most.

That addiction strategy is a thing that Blizzard mastered well.

I once even had to fire 3 ppl from my engineering staff for neglecting their work, calling in sick because they needed to play the new WoW expansion that launched that very day or called in sick for days/weeks to level in their game. Ending up playing WoW all day, every day till the time they felt they should earn their money again.

Plus a few lost their families with it, and saw good communities/clans/guilds that had been together for years fall apart just because some didn't want to go on the "raid 6d/week, 7th day is for farming" stuff.

MMO developers: think outside the box, do NOT look at Blizzard for future MMO's.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Muke said:

I once even had to fire 3 ppl from my engineering staff for neglecting their work, calling in sick because they needed to play the new WoW expansion that launched that very day or called in sick for days/weeks to level in their game. Ending up playing WoW all day, every day till the time they felt they should earn their money again.

Plus a few lost their families with it, and saw good communities/clans/guilds that had been together for years fall apart just because some didn't want to go on the "raid 6d/week, 7th day is for farming" stuff.

MMO developers: think outside the box, do NOT look at Blizzard for future MMO's.
    So developers should stop making themepark MMO's? Because Wildstar was not a WoW clone unless you consider any MMORPG with instances, raiding, questing, etc. a WoW clone. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Because it was another linear quest hub themepark in a long line of linear quest hub themeparks. 
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    WildStar had been in development since like 2007, so you can't really blame them for trying to copy WoW at the time.  It just took forever for it to come out and by the time Theme Park MMO's were on the way down.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    Lazzaro said:
    WildStar had been in development since like 2007, so you can't really blame them for trying to copy WoW at the time.  It just took forever for it to come out and by the time Theme Park MMO's were on the way down.
    Not only that but the people behind Carbine - which NCSoft went on to buy and fund - worked on WoW and left Blizzard with the "intent" of making a WoW clone. (Set up a studio, create a concept, sell company for lots of cash, get rich s well of course.) 

As Lazzaro says however it took so long to come out. Not so sure it was / is theme park mmos that have died a death though rather subscription based mmos. It had cost so much to make though they obviously felt they needed to go the sub route rather than B2P/DLC/Optional sub - and a cash shop at some point no doubt. As a result they are now F2P/Cash Shop but without the "legion" of people that F2P games need to make lots of money. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited March 2016
    here's why (Start at 1:10 sec)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Truth is content takes a lot of time and cost,so we are never going to see anything more than Wow clones and remain a triple A product.
    What we see in games is basic game design,a world some npc's some assets and then quests.Crafting is one area still seems to be corner cutting and then what,housing is shotty if at all exists,no eco systems.

Sure i agree with that WS dude that combat can remove the boring grindy feeling if it is good,i don't think WS combat is good though.However it is the exact same idea that  i have said for a long time,if i am having fun it is not considered a grind.

However where the point is missed is that if you are delivering combat via linear questing,it is the same old repeated system that every game is doing and ends up feeling like a grind.
    I seriously don;t know the full answer to this problem as we still have levels being used.My feeling is we should be using aging,instead of cheap lazy point systems have players advance through age and systems,similar to for example you gain strength via working out or endurance through endurance training.
    We have seen hints with better systems,example EQ2 swimming goes up as you swim or your sword skill goes up as you swing and use your sword.

Developers can do a better job but time and money  is always going to be an insurmountable barrier.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The carpal tunnel-inducing combat killed the game inside the womb, the rest of the flaws were just a bonus.
    Lol this 100%. Everyone i know that played and quit said they got sick of the combat.
  • KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57
    i personally was not appealed by the cartoon graphics or aesthetics of the game and personally welcome "hardcore" as opposed to what people are saying.  A lot of my friends did not bother because it looked like WoW 2.0
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Muke said:

Gotta agree here. You can get so much more out of your design if you build for human curiosity, need to feel that the world is living, and allowing for player learning. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The population is so low that the devs shutdown both PVP servers and merged them into the PVE servers now the few PVP players left are making hell of demands trying to force the PVE players to open world PVP, in my mind this game will be dead very soon, because PVE players will start to leave to other games as soon as the loud mouth PVP players keep demanding more and more.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• runedragonrunedragon Member UncommonPosts: 57
    The one reason its dead is NCSOFT, anything they touch dies a horrible death even games which are successful.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Nobody likes the hipster MMO.
  • VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    The issue with WildStar is this: WildStar's Carbine Studios was founded by a group of developers from WoW who felt that WoW wasn't catering to the HARDCORE community. They developed WS as a way to attract the harcore players with a predominantly PvP and raiding environment, while basically "phoning it in" when it came to a PvE.

I beta tested WS and was there for the launch. What turned me off was the fact that the game was so poorly optimized, that there was MASSIVE control lag (ie 2-3 full seconds before a keystroke was registered). Although post-launch the control lag was reduced, still even with a decent system that exceeded both the minimum and recommended technical specs for playing the game, I couldn't forgive.

In addition, one of the lead developers at Carbine at one point said that they didn't make this game for casuals, but for hardcore players and that they really didn't care about casual players.  Having been in retail and customer service for almost 20 years, comments like that are never a good thing to say.  The issue is that there aren't enough hardcore players to support a game like that.  All of the hardcore players, those into PvP and WvW, are playing MOBAs, not WoW clones.  

Frankly, when you have a game that has somewhat mediocre PvP and major issues with a PvE campaign, no matter what you say, it will usually fail. The evidence now is the recent announcement about the server merges and the fact that they are folding in both the PvP and the PvE mechanics together. This game is on it's way down. I predict that WS will shut down before the end of this year.
    Testify!
    testify

Nutritionists have a phrase...
    People talk healthy but eat unhealthy.

Gamers talk hardcore, but buy casual.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    For me it was the art style. I bought it ona sale and tried it but couldn't stand the style.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I liked the game, I even maxed a few toons. But my guild left the game and the game became barren, I believe because the game was all about endgame raiding. Casuals found it too hard, hardcore players realized WoW and SWToR were better at that. 
    They wanted to make combat fun, ah well, making the healer classes fun by changing their mechanics to play almost like a DPS class is not fun. 
    Most spells being AoE rendered CC obsolete, there was still CC required but more like an inside joke. 
    Targets did not matter for tanks nor DPS. 
    So it was just about moving out of the red into the green, didn't matter much what else you did if you did that right. So you had to look the ground all the time, hell I remember the fights but I don't remember how the bosses looked like. 
    Action fun combat needs to be meaningful in PvP as well, but PvP was an AoE zergfest. If you had telegraphs on you'd know how ridiculous it all was. 
    I personally loved the humor, the environment and the art. But many didn't. 
    The skill tree was awful, it even looked awful. 
    LFG and vote on kick isolated less skilled players and harder classes pretty fast. 
    The paths didn't have any impact. 
    Leveling was very taxing plus 40 and it wasn't fun that much. Many casuals didn't even hit max level before their free month ended, they heard the horror stories about hard dungeons and they went back to their previous more comfortable MMOs. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I think it's a death of 1000 paper cuts thing. They haven't fixed a lot of bugs, crafting professions are unbalanced, killed reserved names, dropped the RP servers, fixed things that didn't need fixing.

For me at some point I just lose faith that the company will make good choices for the future of the game. Happened with Wildstar and SWTOR. At release I thought it was one of the best games, with the features that were available at launch and the over all quality. Too bad really.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Hariken said:
    The carpal tunnel-inducing combat killed the game inside the womb, the rest of the flaws were just a bonus.
    Lol this 100%. Everyone i know that played and quit said they got sick of the combat.
    I dig the atmosphere of this game. This game was made extremely well, and my heart says"Like It." After awhile playing it my heart says, "hey dude the combat is crap." Then after awhile of playing it trying to mentally convince myself this game is cool; my brain starts to shutoff. This to me is a sad story and I feel sorry for the creators of this game. They did many things right but the most important aspect of the game is the combat. This is why I personally feel this game continues to fail.

• subxaerosubxaero Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited March 2016
    With all the respect Wildstar was nothing close  as ''WoW vanilla'' as some tried to picture it...more like Ctaclysm in most of the aspects.

1--The questing was enjoyable but too fast,way faster than in vanilla when the game was forcing u to group for many quests

2---The optimization of the game was the worse i've ever seen Horrible..horibble lags in cities and in crowded places

3--The telegraph combat is interesting in PVE ..but in PvP is the worst thing i've ever seen, a complete chaos clown fiesta that u can hardly coordinate

4--O and after u hit 50(fast) u actually had even less things to do than in vanilla

5--DUngeons were not that difficult but they were  litterally taking hours to complete
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I beta tested the game for a couple of weeks and I walked away very unimpressed.

First off, the primary reason that I didn't stick with this game was because it gave me splitting headaches.  I could not play this game for more than 3 hours at a time without having to go rest on a couch and take some ibuprofen.

I fly all year round for work and I don't get airsick. I'm a certified PADI Advanced Scuba diver and I don't get seasick.  Something about this game, however, I'm convinced was giving me a sort of motion sickness that I have never experience before or since.

Second, the character animations were laughably terrible.  Not only that, but games with double jumping annoy the crap out of me.  I made one character who was basically an 8 foot tall rock with a giant sword.  Watching him jump up in the air and then hitting jump again and watching a giant heavy rock do these agile front flippy things was just too much for me.

Third, the coloring of the world was like being on an acid trip.  Everywhere I walked looked like a herd of unicorns had walked around vomiting on everything.  The colors were so bright and violent that a lot of objects were hard to even recognize what they were.  "Is that thing in the distance a tree, or a giant purple throbbing mushroom?"
  • MoonKnighttMoonKnightt Member UncommonPosts: 148
    You should have read the official Wildstar forums. People on the forums thought the hardcore nature would make it a smash hit. They loved the combat and the 40 man raids. They thought the game would be a massive success and kill ESO. In fact I haven't seen fans so bad since the launch of Guild Wars 2.

Pretty much everything they loved on the official forums killed the game. I mean there were people complaining about optimization back in late Alpha. But they built the engine from scratch and couldn't do much about it - they were too far along. Too much funding invested in the engine also probably caused it.

Carbine lied for years about the optimization "being worked on" and treated the forum minority like they could fund the game and would never lead.  In fact they cheered as this game chased casuals off and high fived each other. They had their hardcore paradise - with Pixar graphics.

Well they got what they asked for, hope they enjoyed the game. By the time Carbine changed direction it was too late. Most players wouldn't come back and honestly the combat itself would have to be completely redone. It's a dead game walking.

That being said it wasn't a bad game. It just suffered from several horrible choices.