Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

McDonalds releases affordable VR headset.

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited March 2016
    Just wanted to point out there's a bit of sarcasm in the title of this thread; it's a subtle dig at the price of other, "actual" VR rigs.  I don't think any reasonable person would expect these to measure up to Rift or Vive any more than Cardboard, including parents that take their kids through the drive-through.

That said, it's interesting to see the market adapting to the 2016 VR wave.  Kind of a VR "sample" kit.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Just wanted to point out there's a bit of sarcasm in the title of this thread; it's a subtle dig at the price of other, "actual" VR rigs.  I don't think any reasonable person would expect these to measure up to Rift or Vive any more than Cardboard, including parents that take their kids through the drive-through.

That said, it's interesting to see the market adapting to the 2016 VR wave.  Kind of a VR "sample" kit.
    if that is the case they likely should not have created the thread for risk of someone thinking they actually do think this and actually are not that bright or use it as an opportunity to attack.

just something to think about

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited March 2016
    the point of sarcasm is to express truth in a lie.

this is doing neither

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Anyway.... For the people curious about how a more holo-deck like VR experince would work.

Swing by the old youtubes have a look at the people trying out Vive units. 

Both barnacules nerdgasm and Jacksepticeye have videos i have stumbled across showing both in-headset and room view. It is actually pretty impressive.

Now look at those and then imagine wearing a par of haptic gloves... Then you will actually be able to pick stuff up... with your hands... Sure you will not feel the item in the traditional way but pick it up you will none the less. 

This have been a good conversation

tawess said:
    Anyway.... For the people curious about how a more holo-deck like VR experince would work.

Swing by the old youtubes have a look at the people trying out Vive units. 

Both barnacules nerdgasm and Jacksepticeye have videos i have stumbled across showing both in-headset and room view. It is actually pretty impressive.

Now look at those and then imagine wearing a par of haptic gloves... Then you will actually be able to pick stuff up... with your hands... Sure you will not feel the item in the traditional way but pick it up you will none the less. 
    and I would like to point out that a holodeck system like that is more limiting in what it can do then a VR headset because of what I might call the 2 foot problem

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

and I would like to point out that a holodeck system like that is more limiting in what it can do then a VR headset because of what I might call the 2 foot problem
    Sean... the Vive.... is a headset.... It just add two IR cameras and let you map your actual room so you can move around in the VR space without dying from smashing in to a wall. =) 

any way.. for the lazy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWproPHhHd0

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    No joke at all here. Google did this a while back as well, either purchased or the cut-out prints for making your own: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

Real gig. Nice post.

No joke at all here. Google did this a while back as well, either purchased or the cut-out prints for making your own: https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

Real gig. Nice post.

so people really do think that the VR of an Oculus headset is the same as a McDonalds headset?

I am confused now

SEANMCAD said:

Real gig. Nice post.

so people really do think that the VR of an Oculus headset is the same as a McDonalds headset?

I am confused now
    Certainly not the same. Though I see no reason why some kind of compatibility couldn't be implemented. Considering such, there would be a pretty bad delay transmitting video over a bluetooth or wifi signal to accomplish it. Similar to that of the chromecast (A device for streaming video to a television via wifi network from a smartphone, tablet, or PC.)
  • psypoisonpsypoison Member UncommonPosts: 17
    omg  MickyD ripped off Google cardboard .
    SEANMCAD said:

Real gig. Nice post.

I am confused now
    Certainly not the same. Though I see no reason why some kind of compatibility couldn't be implemented. Considering such, there would be a pretty bad delay transmitting video over a bluetooth or wifi signal to accomplish it. Similar to that of the chromecast (A device for streaming video to a television via wifi network from a smartphone, tablet, or PC.)
    if its not the same and everyone knows its not the same then...where is the joke exactly?

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Real gig. Nice post.

I am confused now
    if its not the same and everyone knows its not the same then...where is the joke exactly?
    I read a few posts stating "is this a joke." I more or less was trying to point out that my post with information about smartphone VR was not a joke. Perhaps I should have read more of the later posts in the forum to keep it relevant to the current conversation.
    oculus and McDonalds headset are in basic same but oculus is way more high tec and was billed from ground up to do what mcDonalds and google cardboard needs phone to do
    psypoison said:
    oculus and McDonalds headset are in basic same but oculus is way more high tec and was billed from ground up to do what mcDonalds and google cardboard needs phone to do
    In the same way that a typewriter and my computer is the same... They do both produce text after all. =P 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    tawess said:
    psypoison said:
    In the same way that a typewriter and my computer is the same... They do both produce text after all. =P 
    Whats a typewriter?  O.o

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

That is for me to know and you to hotbot =)

• joeri123joeri123 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    They stole this from google lmao.. 
    https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/
    edited March 2016
    psypoison said:
    this!

this is what the threads reads as the understanding of many people here, which is the REAL joke

and I am sooooooo going to run with it. VR critics think this...that is what I am going with

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I fail to understand how @psypoison is mistaken. And @seanmcad hasn't explained the difference well enough to educate us poor unwashed masses.

Phone provides the screen, audio, and tracking, and CPU power, and is wireless to boot. What else does the Rift or Vive do that the phone doesn't, apart from those same basic functions only in higher fidelity, because it's tethered by a mess of wires to a PC?
    Ridelynn said:
    I fail to understand how @psypoison is mistaken. And @seanmcad hasn't explained the difference well enough to educate us poor unwashed masses.

Phone provides the screen, audio, and tracking, and CPU power, and is wireless to boot. What else does the Rift or Vive do that the phone doesn't, apart from those same basic functions only in higher fidelity, because it's tethered by a mess of wires to a PC?
    so can I put you down as a 'yes' you think the cardboard and Oculus Rift experience is basically the same?

great...thanks

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited March 2016
    Honestly though, if you think about it for a second, someone could put all these overpriced fad devices out of business in a heartbeat. You just need something comfortable to mount your phone to your ugly mug, and something else to bridge the connection between your game and your phone. Bam, instant VR headset for your (supported) game.

Yes, I called VR a fad. Who can really sit there with that thing hanging off your face for any extended period of time. It's gonna go the same place 3D TV went. Guaranteed!

no one knew about google cardboard?
    Ridelynn said:
     What else does the Rift or Vive do that the phone doesn't, apart from those same basic functions only in higher fidelity, because it's tethered by a mess of wires to a PC?
    Well the Vive comes with full body tracking... That a cellphone can´t do. 

But beyond that it is as you say... just a matter of fidelity (and by extension quality of software) but hey... who has ever cared about higher fidelity... *looks at blu-ray and the GPU wars*

But me personally think that there is a slight difference between a mobile app and Valves new VR demo... But that is just my opinion. 

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    kage71 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

This is actually one of the few VR headsets that might actually work.

It's cheap, it's easy to use, and it gets into the hands of regular people.

That my friend had me laughing so hard. It reminded me of something I had as kid without the phone no doubt

Umm ... http://www.view-master.com/en-us#product
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2016
    Came on our local news today which said they will be testing this first in Sweden, then expand if it goes well.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/29/mcdonalds-creating-limited-edition-vr-goggles-from-happy-meal-boxes

BY STEVE WATTS Soon you may be able to get a cheeseburger with a side of virtual reality.

McDonald's is testing a promotion in Sweden that turns Happy Meal boxes into "Happy Goggles," a simple Google-Cardboard-like device that can be used with your smartphone. Only about 3,500 of them will be available across 14 restaurants between March 5 and March 12.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey