Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online - "This shit has to stop" - three devs leaving

ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
edited March 2016 in EVE Online

https://www.themittani.com/news/three-developers-depart-ccp-games

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/47j11z/goodbye_foxfour_scarpia_and_ytterbium/d0dc351

"As other people said, most of the designs are solid enough by now so that it won't delay the feature. I'm making sure stuff is polished enough to be handled over before leaving.

There is a misconception I won't leave until Citadels are out, which isn't the case. I'm leaving end of March, Citadels won't be out at that point. Ideally I'd have preferred to stay until they are out as I don't like leaving a project during development, but with the point above it shouldn't cause much problems.

Also, I would like to point out this CCP Fozzie bashing is not funny. Not even remotely. Every blog, every decision he has been part was in full support of the development teams, and the whole of EVE Production and Game Design of which I am part of. And don't twist my words, I'm not saying he made mistakes here.

Hey sure, we sometime do screw-ups and things sometimes go wrong. We're not perfect, and with EVE being a very complex game it sure doesn't help. Hell, I've been at CCP since 2006 and I've seen CCP Nozh, Zulupark or even Greyscale unfairly turned into scapegoats by the community while I've made more horrible mistakes and have never been blamed for them, like creating an infinite money printing loop for Factional Warfare.

You guys seem to bash anyone that touches Sovereignty or capitals. We know you guys care about your pixel spaceships, we get it. The care of the EVE community is what makes the game special in the first place. But seriously, bluntly, this shit has to stop, because it can be seriously destructive to people working in the game industry.

Now, don't start saying I'm leaving because of that or because EVE is dying. None of that tinfoil-rumor thing with me or I'll find you, cover your sorry asses with garlic before cooking them in an over-sized oven. I'm leaving because I've been working on EVE for 9 years, and I need to tackle new projects to grow as a professional and individual. I'm leaving because Iceland and I don't really see eye to eye with each other (I'm from southern France which is a very sunny and hot place) and I want to see other places.

I love CCP, EVE, the company, the people, the projects and you guys. It was a hard decision to make and part of me will always regret it, but I really feel I need to kick myself in the butt to progress in my life.

I shall miss you all, may the French pastries and croissants always be with you people."

If people chase away enough developers through cybermobbing ... who will continue to work on the game these parts of the community claim to love so much ?

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    That was refreshingly honest and open. 

Not much else to say as i see most "hard-core" communities as being a summer breeze from needing actual counseling. So i have no problem seeing a dev actually being utterly feed up by it.

Also 9 years is a heck of a long time in this day and age.  

This have been a good conversation

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Um yea he said very clearly that his leaving had nothing to do with the community trolling.  Matter of fact none of those articles you quoted say anything of the sort.  Now imagine after 9 years of being very polite to criticism then being 100% free to speak your mind.  Yea he's gonna be a man and speak his mind before he leaves of course.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    9 years !

Wow, he must have really enjoyed working on EVE ! :D 

During my 25 year IT career, I've never worked anywhere for longer than 4 years. Working on the same stuff for too long gets boring, and the best way to expand your knowledge and experience is switch to a new environment.
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    why always buzz when devs change their job to another projects, lol people can't work at one studio all life :D
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well he is telling it from one side of the fence.
    What i have seen is a lot of fanbois attitude because imo CCP and Eve have not come remotely close to growing into a complete game and is not nearly as complex as he  makes it sound.When your game is like 30% complete after  8 years how complex can it be when your missing 3/4 of the game?

IMO if the game was actually evolving he would have remained interested.It sounds to me like he is bored with the game,why would he have to move on to grow,the game itself should be evolving after 8 years to allow him to further grow.Truth is it sounds like strictly a money thing and he sees no more room to advance in the company.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have only worked 2 places in my last 30 years.I don't get into moving around all the time,the grass is never greener on the other side.If you find a good group of people to work with,stick with it because a few more bucks and working with crappy people will suck.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    some people just have never worked in an office with 100s of people and as a result have no idea what kind of water cooler talk goes on.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    That's like the worst threat ever. 1/10

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    Well he is telling it from one side of the fence.
    What i have seen is a lot of fanbois attitude because imo CCP and Eve have not come remotely close to growing into a complete game and is not nearly as complex as he  makes it sound.When your game is like 30% complete after  8 years how complex can it be when your missing 3/4 of the game?

IMO if the game was actually evolving he would have remained interested.It sounds to me like he is bored with the game,why would he have to move on to grow,the game itself should be evolving after 8 years to allow him to further grow.Truth is it sounds like strictly a money thing and he sees no more room to advance in the company.
    You have obviously never played Eve, you are way off base and simply, wrong.  But that is nothing new for you I suppose.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    What a thread title, care to fix it? :-P
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    The whole game has been screwed up for a long time.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Lol @ people thinking this is unique to EVE community, a funnier fact is that more then half the players in eve don't even pvp (Stating this because most people on these forums think anyone that plays a ffa or full loot pvp game is a sociopath.)

I imagine this thread was made because some other devs quit? This guy literally says he wants to do other things in his career and hates living in fucking iceland lol.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited March 2016
    Gdemami said:
    What a thread title, care to fix it? :-P
    Its a direct quote in the thread title from the developer post, which was copied in full and verbatim in the post, with source links.

The interpretation at the end of the post is my personal opinion after playing in EVE continuously for 12 years. Someone elses mileage may vary.

Have fun
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    We probably never really know the truth when a long time dev is leaving.....Im sure its a combo of things...There have been alot of rumors that the playerbase has dropped pretty significantly the past year or so.
  • cort1cort1 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    That's disappointing to hear. Do people think this sort of thing will continue to happen?
    edited March 2016
    Soarlozer said:
    and hates living in fucking iceland lol.
    Hey, if someone does not like the weather in Iceland ... wait 15 minutes ;-)  It will change ....

Have fun
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Yep, Global warming Al Gore is heading your way.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    They market "Be the Villian" for years and continue to promote stories of corp theft through the years and then bitch when they leave about the hostile/villainous community. 

Does that make sense to anyone?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Did he seriously shed tears about the community ragging on the dev team for bad decisions and stuff? Hey, fuck him! 

On another note, CCP must be a pretty good workplace for a developer to stick around for 9 years. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I refuse to take a scolding from a guy who helped create and run a game with perhaps the most hateful, sociopathic, and divisive player base of all time. Who here helped to enable these little "Caligulas"? Because it sure as fuck wasn't me.

Such a different viewpoint than mine, I feel EVE has one of the best, most helpful and cooperative player bases in the genre.  Clearly you just don't know EVE.

With great evil comes an even greater good, most other communities are just "lukewarm"

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2016
    In other news, guy hates living in Iceland and after 9 years decides to find a new job.  News at 11

Phenomenally on top of current events

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Erillion said:
    Soarlozer said:
    and hates living in fucking iceland lol.
    Hey, if someone does not like the weather in Iceland ... wait 15 minutes ;-)  It will change ....

Have fun
    Well, if i had to choose between living in Iceland, and living in southern France, hate to say it, but as much as i really enjoy playing Eve, i'd choose southern France.
    As for Eve's players, imo, one of the best online communities in the world, and as someone who has played since 2004, i am probably more than a little biased.
    Kyleran said:
    In other news, guy hates living in Iceland and after 9 years decides to find a new job.  News at 11

Phenomenally on top of current events
    The topic is much broader than one guy leaving because of the weather. It is about telling part of the community to stop being pricks in real life - they can be pricks IN the game as much as they want. Especially in EVE. If they want to behave like the typical LoL player cursing his head off.... then I suggest it would be better for them to switch from MMO's to MOBA's 

Have fun
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    nvm, moot debate about troll thread/title...
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    CCP wasted so much time and money on pet projects.