Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of a return but....

Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
So i've been considering on returning to LotRO from when I last played which was right before F2P went live back in 2010 I believe? I mainly stopped playing due to other life factors and when i returned my guild had left for SWG then SW:ToR in its wake. I'm here asking what is the game like now a days for a returning players plus how leveling friendly has it become I remember I hit a wall at 45 (I mainly) soloed since everyone was so far ahead of me. Is it much of the same? should I look else where such as EQ2? ESO? FF14?, I did really enjoy a lot of the features this game offered from the crafting to the legendary weapons (I hear thats just awful another grind not sure really) to the classes and races.

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited November 2015
    ESO or FF14 depending on the kind of combat you like (tab target or "action'). Just my opinion.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    reid424 said:
    So i've been considering on returning to LotRO from when I last played which was right before F2P went live back in 2010 I believe? I mainly stopped playing due to other life factors and when i returned my guild had left for SWG then SW:ToR in its wake. I'm here asking what is the game like now a days for a returning players plus how leveling friendly has it become I remember I hit a wall at 45 (I mainly) soloed since everyone was so far ahead of me. Is it much of the same? should I look else where such as EQ2? ESO? FF14?, I did really enjoy a lot of the features this game offered from the crafting to the legendary weapons (I hear thats just awful another grind not sure really) to the classes and races.
    I haven't played in awhile, prolly like 6 months. I can say they added a world chat. The leveling hasn't really changed. It def is a better game than EQ2 though, they are very similar games, minus the story. ESO, you will like more, because it sounds like you want to level solo, and ESO is basically a Solo game. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Yep, 2010 Nov in Eu, five years already... (US switched 2 months earlier)
    Lots of questions :wink: 

For returning players it's mostly fine, there's a server transfer going on currently, so the selected remaining servers are pretty crowded on every level range.
    Leveling friendly, much faster than it was, there's even an XP disabler (added 2 years ago) for those who don't want to over-level the areas. Crafting/gathering gives xp too now, festivals give level-appropriate xp instead of being lvl10, etc.
    Solo option, that's there, you can solo almost everything (but the group content is still there as well)
    LI system is still a huge grind, but at least it won't get worse in the future :wink:  They just changed the LI system recently, so even in case of a level cap raise you won't need to replace and level up all your legendaries.
    Class/race, there's a new one, beornings.
  • Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
    Thank you for the input, I have a few ways to go on the patch but i'll check it out again can't even remember my old server i think it was brandywine or melendor?

edited November 2015
    Lucky for you then, that the server transfer is in place :wink: all you need to remember is your account name, if you can log in into the launcher, you're set.
    Just click on the transfer button and it will list all your characters (with name, class and level) on every server. *

If your home was Meneldor then you'll need to move off your characters since the poor eagle will left behind after the transfers... If it was Brandy, that's the most crowded server on US side nowadays, others can't even migrate onto Brandy because it's full.

*edit: my bad, just checked the transfer, it only shows the character names and the date of last played.
    So just curious since im finally getting around to this again what are some of the most populated servers other than brandywine

edited February 2016
    Based on infos from before the server move, on US side Brandy is still the most crowded, and since most players transferred already (the selected servers will be closed in April) Crickhollow reached the same amount, with frequent "server full" messages at login. Landroval is closely behind them, also very crowded. The other two are "just" (in brackets) well-populated, but at least not full... I guess that's what you get when squeeze 15 servers onto 5.

Probably that's still the case presently, just after the server move it's tougher to confirm that due to the performance issues and bugs (for example you can bump into false "server full" messages even during off-peak hours, a known issue with the login server).
    So i should avoid brandywine and crickhollow? i would like to be on a good population server but not the busiest.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    What I lack with todays MMOs that exists in LOTRO, is the atmosphere. Great atmosphere in that game compared to any on the market. Might just be me that loves the environment of lord of the rings. ESO is not close and FFXIV not even close
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm a LOTRO lifer since 2008 and continue to play, but I wouln't recommend this game unless you love Tolkien and the ring story.  The game is old at this point and I believe  you can find newer games to make you happier for what you want.

I will say the community is perhaps the best in any MMO I've played.  I play on Landroval, perhaps that makes a difference, and if you ask a question expect to get taken seriously.  I rarely hear a troll remark or put down for asking a question.  I had taken a break and coming back to the game had a question.  A stranger spent about 45 minutes with me showing new things in game.

I do prefer the early LOTRO with Shadows as opposed to the later updates.  I'm a lifer so I get 500 pts a month so spending is not a big deal, but my friends who are not lifers complain new content is very much tied to the cash shop.  The grind for rep or anything else becomes onerous to the point you really feel the need to spend in the shop to make it bearable. 
    edited March 2016
    reid424 said:
    So i should avoid brandywine and crickhollow? i would like to be on a good population server but not the busiest.
    Well, server selection is an important decision, let's not rush the answer :wink: (even more so since I'm more active on EU)

Brandy, that's the busiest server since years, that's why the transfer was disabled onto it for long, it was stuffed with players. The lack of incoming players (and that they had to go onto the other servers) closed the gap between Brandy and the others, but it remained one of the most crowded servers.

Crickhollow, it was a moderately crowded server last summer, I too relocated my US characters there from the closing servers, because of the notion of smaller pop (plus it was the hobbit themed / named one, Arken is dwarven obviously, and Gladden is more like elvish :wink: ). Seems lots of players had the same idea, so after a while I couldn't log in even the evenings (which is only afternoon in US, so not peak time). True, Vyv posted in January a list (https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?592458-Old-player-thinking-about-returning&p=7512379&highlight=#post7512379 ) where Crick appears as a lower populated one, but user experiences are different, just like the data on the lotrostats site, which shows activity even higher than Brandy occasionally. Crick is very crowded.

Landy, I'm pretty sure has the most characters in the whole game (since almost every roleplayer has a few chars there), but lot of those characters only active during roleplay events. Still, even on an average day it has a crowd close to Brandywine's levels. Anyways, if you like roleplay, it's a good pick, great folks there, and great events.

So yep, if you want highly populated but not overcrowded servers, Gladden or Arkenstone may be the winner. Which one, I guess depends on you have friends on any of them, or the timezone (I think I've red somewhere Oceanic players moved onto Gladden for example). Personally I'm not familiar with those two, I used to play on Landy and sometimes with my refugees on Crick, but I spend much more time here on Eu.
    Well im stationed in asia so that decides it gladden it is. As for friends i had 1 friend that played way back but i never had any that played mmo's so i'll be going at this alone on gladden. I plan to only move my old 45 toon over but start a new one to get adjusted again. Thank you for all the information you've been very helpful.

Wait, my memory failed me... Arken, you should go to Arken then
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?580327-Oceanic-Server