Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about respecs?

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
edited February 2016 in Black Desert Online
I plan to start out with the Sorceress, which -in my rather short beta session- i found confusing at times as i couldn't figure out skills, combos, synergies and such at a glimpse. So as usual, messing with yet unknown classes in a new game involves alot of trial and error for me -and with that comes respeccing.

I read that a respec costs about 220 pearls which is something around $20 and you'll get a free respec at lvl45.
This probably leaves me with investing points into skills that later on i'll never use (because perhaps they don't turn out to be as useful as i thought they would or don't translate too well from PvE to PvP), starting a class over and over again to get it right this time (PathOfExile..arrgh), googling for spreadsheet builds from a website and simply not buy skills to "just look and see and feel them out".

Even with the free respec at 45, when i could drop skills that weren't quite useful to me, i would again have to invest into skills that so far have been unknown to me, since i haven't had a chance to try them out.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me what's missing in my picture and how building and respeccing actually plays out.

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Think at 300 hours you get an achievement that gives you a free respec and at lvl 45 as well I think. Technically you can just keep on killing mobs and get all the skills and not have to worry about respeccing but you're looking at a grind
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Respecs should be free.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Kefo said:
    Think at 300 hours you get an achievement that gives you a free respec and at lvl 45 as well I think. Technically you can just keep on killing mobs and get all the skills and not have to worry about respeccing but you're looking at a grind
    Shhh, never say the "G" word to a modern gamer, it's like kryptonite to them. 

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Kyleran said:
    Kefo said:
    Shhh, never say the "G" word to a modern gamer, it's like kryptonite to them. 

I am Phenomenal
    I'd spam it then to see them drop like flies if I wouldn't be banned for it lol
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    You should be able to Respec but it should require you to go on a tough quest and obtain a certain item or something. 
  • spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Respecs should be free.
    In this game, I disagree. You'll have ample chance to play with and change skills for no cost, especially if you pre-ordered. If there were mammoth skill trees with huge amounts of variation, I would agree. I can see moving a few points around transitioning from more pve to pvp content, but that's about it. 
  • CouganCougan Member UncommonPosts: 422
    i've not spent half my points for fear it'll be a useless skill... probably too late anywy
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Respecs should be free.
    Making respecs free makes them meaningless.....

however there should be an ingame way to grind respecs...  With cashshop being an option...

but then they need to make money, we used to have subs, but the majorrity of the population demands "free to lay" games..   Well to me they are a lay off

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Respecs should be free.
    Making respecs free makes them meaningless.....

however there should be an ingame way to grind respecs...  With cashshop being an option...

but then they need to make money, we used to have subs, but the majorrity of the population demands "free to lay" games..   Well to me they are a lay off
    Pretty sure you can buy respecs and other items in the mileage shop (points you accumulate just for logging into the game).
  • SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Respecs should be free.
    Why should they be free? Because Blade and Soul is the ONLY one to offer Respecs for free? So Respecs should now ALWAYS be free? Such a load of privlaged bullsh*t.

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Sharess said:
    Respecs should be free.
    Why should they be free? Because Blade and Soul is the ONLY one to offer Respecs for free? So Respecs should now ALWAYS be free? Such a load of privlaged bullsh*t.
    MMORPGs used to let people make mistakes, maybe just to stretch out sub time, but at least it added to the gameplay by making a player's choices really matter sometimes.

If you really screwed up you rerolled, otherwise you lived with what you created or worked very hard to acquire a respec stone or whatever. 

It added to character diversity, i.e. some MInstrel in DAOC used slashing weapons, some piercing. (both had differing strengths and weaknesses)

My Minstrel specd for piercing, and later when I wanted slash it made sense to start a new character including a different race for the strength bonus Highlanders had which benefited slashing styles.

Choices with consequences, something largely missing from modern MMOs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    I'm not against re-specs. I just think they shouldn't be free. I'd even agree to having 2 specs (pve/pvp) and having those set and charging for the change (real money lets be clear). It will probably be the only cash shop purchases I'll use. 

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Sharess said:
    Respecs should be free.
    Blade and Soul wasn't even the first to offer respecs for free, mate. But the simple fact that it does makes it automatically better than 90% of f2p garbage.

Are Blade and Soul players also entitled because their weapon upgrade system doesn't have an 80% chance of destroying their Hongmoon weapon like in other f2p games? An objectively good mechanic is an objectively good mechanic, and an objectively bad mechanic is an objectively bad one. Entitlement doesn't even come into the paradigm.