Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard is it to start a gaming studio?

ScielaSciela Member UncommonPosts: 46
Basically, the title. Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to develop video games (more specifically the art, music and story), and I was just wondering how possible that is, coming from nothing.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Pretty easy actually. Now making a good game is the difficult part. With the PC, the distribution outlets are pretty solid.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Sciela said:
    Basically, the title. Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to develop video games (more specifically the art, music and story), and I was just wondering how possible that is, coming from nothing.

You want to start a game studio.  There, you just did.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Talent and cash flow?

pretty easy.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Precusor said:
    Talent and cash flow?

pretty easy.
    Cash flow could be time only. 
  • KatabelleKatabelle Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited March 2016
    My hubby and I started a local game studio, since there was none in our city (Kansas City, USA).
    We started a meetup.com meetup, posted on our reddits subtopic, and also craigslist ads.
    Oh and we snuck flyers around the art institute and community college (which I think is illegal to solicit but we got a few students).

Next I put together a presentation of what it takes, job roles, whats to be expected etc. at the local library space we rented.
    We came up with a studio name, everyone pitched their own marketable game ideas as our first test project.

Our first test projects was a fail BUT we learned so much since a lot of us weren't game dev vets.

How we work, what doesn't work, etc. 
    So we had new game pitches with certain requirements
    We had Git set up, source control, teams and meeting dates set up already.

I think the biggest thing right now is to have 2-3 people come up with the gameplay documents and no more. Or else the "tone's" get mixed up if I have the whole world building team on it.

So we learned that and I hope it goes well from now on. Our motivation went down, and always expect to lose membersHowever, we found out why, it was mostly communication..
    We meet up in person monthly all together, and individual teams (ex. sound) each meet weekly.

Deadlines, timelines, goals. Never stop the progress and every monthly meeting screensharing progress and what we have done so far is rewarding.

Legally, registering as an LLC is the part dragging us down, and contracts, but I know it'll all work out.

GOOD LUCK