Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

McDonalds releases affordable VR headset.

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Daikuru said:
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    Nope.

Can we say Happy Meal!

Those things would be really innovative if they served your fries in them beforehand. ;)
    The article I read says that's exactly what they do, you reuse the happy meal box to make the viewer.
    Cool but I think the pics are missing the grease stains :)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:
    You want to know what's really funny? It's fact that if any of these people who are claiming all this crap about them not being the same would have read the whole wiki page on it. Here's what it stated directly from the wiki page.

In February 2015, Mattel announced a collaboration with Google to produce a new iteration of View-Master based on virtual reality using smartphones called the View-Master Viewer DLX. The new View-Master is an implementation of the Google Cardboard VR platform, and is accompanied by a mobile app that was built using its SDK. Content is displayed on a smartphone screen; the phone itself is inserted into the back of the unit. Instead of being inserted directly into the View-Master, reels are scanned using an augmented reality interface, which enables access to content from the reel, such as 360-degree panoramas, 3D models, and minigames. The View-Master Viewer DLX is set for release Fall 2016

In other words it's actually the same thing!
    ah I see so you were just being honest and up front and noble and all that good stuff..

well you will never guess which one is in the images people posted here? thats right NOT that one. imagine that.

people are just trying to obfuscate, divert and joke because they got nothing and barely have a clue what they are talking about
    I know it's hard for some young people to accept the fact that things they believe to be "new ideals" aren't really. Hell I went through that phase on my own lol and I am very sure even with this little gadget we could probably trace it all the way to a magnifying glass and a sheet of paper haha.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    kage71 said:

I know it's hard for some young people to accept the fact that things they believe to be "new ideals" aren't really. Hell I went through that phase on my own lol and I am very sure even with this little gadget we could probably trace it all the way to a magnifying glass and a sheet of paper haha.
    I am 48 years old and I have used the Dk1 at home and the DK2 at home and I have used it for several hours using Elite Dangerous. 

AND I have tried the viewmaster from the 80s.

is it possible for people to have a conversation about VR without turning it to a joke that makes them look like the are diverting or just have not a clue what they are talking about?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

I am 48 years old and I have used the Dk1 at home and the DK2 at home and I have used it for several hours using Elite Dangerous. 

is it possible for people to have a conversation about VR without turning it to a joke that makes them look like the are diverting or just have not a clue what they are talking about?
    I didn't actually start this off by having a conversation nor debate about VR. I started just by stating it brought back memories and for some unknown reason I got attacked so I pulled out the whole history research and looked it up. Then the debate came along afterwards. I never meant to get into a debate however it only shows how senseless people are when a person calls you dumb for thinking the two were alike. Yet after further research you find out that the viewmaster is actually the (I guess you would call it) the father of this and other products.
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

Missing out? Hmm I went to school not only for Computer graphics but I build my own pcs. I can build from base to OP system. Do you really think that people who are having a joke on something are missing out on anything?
    yeah missing out

I have tried both a viewmaster and a Oculus VR headset and I can tell you that they aint the same but if you think they are I think its not possible to convince you otherwise without strapping you to a chair and putting both on your face (not at the same time of course)

talking about VR with someone who thinks its like a 1980 viewmaster is a waste of time.
    To be fair

An Oculus is pretty much a View Master with head tracking and moving imagery.

Take the Head Tracking away and you've got shit.
    see!

I knew it!

so yeah saying 'missing out' isnt exactly a stretch even for computer boy
    The Oculus and similar products can be kind of cool with certain applications.

But things like this

will be more "Virtual Reality" than an Oculus ever will be.

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

Missing out? Hmm I went to school not only for Computer graphics but I build my own pcs. I can build from base to OP system. Do you really think that people who are having a joke on something are missing out on anything?
    yeah missing out

I have tried both a viewmaster and a Oculus VR headset and I can tell you that they aint the same but if you think they are I think its not possible to convince you otherwise without strapping you to a chair and putting both on your face (not at the same time of course)

talking about VR with someone who thinks its like a 1980 viewmaster is a waste of time.
    To be fair

see!

I knew it!

But things like this

I myself would love to use it on my Star Citizen account lol. I wouldn't let my GF use it though she gets motion sickness from playing regular games with speed to it.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

I am beginning to worry about the impact VR is having on your grip on reality.
    First one million per cent control over pixels, then VR is not static images, when in fact a statement like 60fps means sixty static images a second giving the illusion of motion.

I think perhaps you should put the VR headset in a drawer for a couple of months until you regain your balance.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    google did it before, and no, it's not a bloody joke.

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

but you quite clearly see what gfx niveau that thing aims for :)
    otherwise you' be stupid to buy a VRset for 800$, eh? ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Great, some f**king idiot is going to pick those up at the drive through then try to figure out how they work while driving down the highway. 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Can we cancel this VR nonsense and invest all funds into retro view masters? 
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I'm loling IRL.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2016
    Good intro for people who would like to try it out.  The only problem with the thin material is that the cardboard wouldn't last that long, especially if kids used it, and you get tired holding it to your face which is why the more advanced models come with head straps.  But yes the hype train has left the station. :awesome: 

Also McDonalds just about invented the idea of going after the kids to get the parents money.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Zero interest in VR here
    eye_m said:
    Great, some f**king idiot is going to pick those up at the drive through then try to figure out how they work while driving down the highway. 
    if you think about that for a second, it would be pretty much impossible to sell any product that could avoid idoicy like that and concerns like that is why everything has 15 pages of warning labels of friggin everything we buy

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

see!

I knew it!

But things like this

and people complain about the cost of VR headsets.

so you are saying that VR will fail because we can all go out and buy one of these to put in our spare bedroom? not sure what you are trying to say here

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

see!

I knew it!

But things like this

so you are saying that VR will fail because we can all go out and buy one of these to put in our spare bedroom? not sure what you are trying to say here
    Simply that this virtually simulates something properly, you can move around the cabin, see whats happening all around you while not compromising the entirety of your vision.  Its an actual virtual world instead of a cell phone obstructing your view in a piece of cardboard. 

edited March 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:

Simply that this virtually simulates something properly, you can move around the cabin, see whats happening all around you while not compromising the entirety of your vision.  Its an actual virtual world instead of a cell phone obstructing your view in a piece of cardboard. 
    1. Oculus style VR doesnt have to be the best for it to be very successful. Its not an all or nothing situation here. What is important for us folks is COST.

2. The VR solution you show has a lot of flaws not even related to cost. Try picking up a virtual coffee cup 1 foot from you. Oh you cant, you CAN if you have a headset. The problem with the VR solution you are posting is that the screen is away from you, rather than much like in real life basically in your face so ALL items 1' in front of your face you can interact with using a headset, you cant using a 1 billion dollar screen

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:

1. Oculus style VR doesnt have to be the best for it to be very successful. Its not an all or nothing situation here. What is important for us folks is COST.

2. The VR solution you show has a lot of flaws not even related to cost. Try picking up a virtual coffee cup 1 foot from you. Oh you cant, you CAN if you have a headset. The problem with the VR solution you are posting is that the screen is away from you, rather than much like in real life basically in your face so ALL items 1' in front of your face you can interact with using a headset, you cant using a 1 billion dollar screen
    Sure you can simulate that you're picking up a cup....  if you're holding the controller in your hand and directing your "on screen" self as picking it up.

You can't, however.. pick up an actual cup in VR.. or pick up any general items placed before you in a physical world.. such as... multiple controls,  or a ball that feels like a ball,  or actually unsheathing a sword at your side like you could with say.... Hololens.  

Cost of using a cell phone you already own as a screen in a piece of "free" cardboard seems VR enough for those that want to stick a TV to their head.  There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a big difference between something like an actual experience - virtually simulating flying a plane - being able to toggle buttons and use a real flightstick or steering wheel -- and just watching it play on a movable screen with gyroscopes. 

Sure you can simulate that you're picking up a cup....  if you're holding the controller in your hand and directing your "on screen" self as picking it up.

You can't, however.. pick up an actual cup in VR.. or pick up any general items placed before you in a physical world.. such as... multiple controls,  or a ball that feels like a ball,  or actually unsheathing a sword at your side like you could with say.... Hololens.  

Cost of using a cell phone you already own as a screen in a piece of "free" cardboard seems VR enough for those that want to stick a TV to their head.  There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a big difference between something like an actual experience - virtually simulating flying a plane - being able to toggle buttons and use a real flightstick or steering wheel -- and just watching it play on a movable screen with gyroscopes. 
    I am not following you let me break it down to its elements.

1. VR solution that uses screens on walls = cant pick up anything virtually 1' away from you
    2. VR solution that uses a headset = can pick up anything virtually represented 1' away from you

1. VR soultion that uses screens in which you can not pick up virtual items 1' from your face costs a billion billion dollars
    2. VR solution that you CAN pick up virtual items one foot from your face costs $1500?

SEANMCAD said:

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

see!

I knew it!

But things like this

I'm not even knocking things like the Oculus, I've experienced it and with certain applications it's very cool. But let's get real here, it's a monitor with head tracking, it covers visuals only.

Here is one of my customer's products: https://vs3.irisdynamics.com/

I manufacture some of the metal parts for the unit. Interestingly this product was also started with a Kickstarter. It's just as much "Virtual Reality" as an Oculus. It just deals with the feel, not with the sight and is more specialized but is just as much of a "Virtual Reality Device"

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    SEANMCAD said:
    eye_m said:
    if you think about that for a second, it would be pretty much impossible to sell any product that could avoid idoicy like that and concerns like that is why everything has 15 pages of warning labels of friggin everything we buy
    true but the real problem is that we let people that stupid actually get behind the wheel in the first place. Because of that fact, we now have to carefully scrutinize every little thing because these idiots can now kill others as well as themselves.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

laserit said:

I'm not even knocking things like the Oculus, I've experienced it and with certain applications it's very cool. But let's get real here, it's a monitor with head tracking, it covers visuals only.

I manufacture some of the metal parts for the unit. Interestingly this product was also started with a Kickstarter. It's just as much "Virtual Reality" as an Oculus. It just deals with the feel, not with the sight and is more specialized but is just as much of a "Virtual Reality Device"
    ok I am going to be more clear and explict.

There is FAR more a player can do in a virtual environment using a VR headset than the picture in that image.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    That's amazing, but unhealthy. I'd prefer a box of strawberries that turns into a VR set once you've eaten all the strawberries.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    kage71 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

This is actually one of the few VR headsets that might actually work.

It's cheap, it's easy to use, and it gets into the hands of regular people.

That my friend had me laughing so hard. It reminded me of something I had as kid without the phone no doubt

Eh today they look alot different dude. :pleased:

Just one more of them cardboard plastic samsung vr wanna bee version.
    In witch you need to put your phone :pleased: 

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:

ok I am going to be more clear and explict.

There is FAR more a player can do in a virtual environment using a VR headset than the picture in that image.
    "VR headset" is marketing period. It's not "Virtual Reality" 

Closing your eyes while picturing your favorite fantasy and stroking it is more "VR" and you won't even need the damn headset.