Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

McDonalds releases affordable VR headset.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
edited February 2016 in Hardware
Cheaper than Oculus.

This is actually one of the few VR headsets that might actually work.

It's cheap, it's easy to use, and it gets into the hands of regular people.

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited February 2016
    that is friggin awesome! it will bring a light VR experience to millions of people.
    I wonder if it works with most smart phones
    nicely done...best new in awhile actually

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    that is friggin awesome! it will bring a light VR experience to millions of people.

Yep, we agree on something.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    while in essence just a cardboard the brand recognition and well.. "install base" will be a good introduction for people when it comes to VR. 

This have been a good conversation

Daikuru said:
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    no of course not.

who in their right mind would think this is supposed to be the same thing as an Oculus.

Its a very light basic demo of VR to get people interested. how can people actually not see this.

Its is what cardboard was about. Cardboard was not a joke, it was 1. to get many people to try it and 2. demonstrate that its not longer rocket science.

edited February 2016
    Xodic said:
    Daikuru said:
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    I'm sure it is, but not really. People are selling hats that you can put your phone in to make it "VR". When all you need is a roll of duct tape or a happy meal box.

its not a joke.

its to get more people to actually try VR instead of talking about it like they have a clue.
    Its not to be as good as Oculus it is to be basically 'a clue' as to what it VR is.

its also to show you that the technology that runs VR is NOT the friggin headset itself, its the phone technology

• kage71kage71 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

That my friend had me laughing so hard. It reminded me of something I had as kid without the phone no doubt

edited February 2016
    kage71 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

That my friend had me laughing so hard. It reminded me of something I had as kid without the phone no doubt

view masters had head tracking and those images moved like video games! 

wow!

are you guys really this D...or just pretending to be?

The problem with playing the naive card is that you might actually win the debate

edited February 2016
    Daikuru said:
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    Nope.

kage71 said:

I love those, especially the story ones.
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

wow!

The problem with playing the naive card is that you might actually win the debate
    Hmm I really don't even begin to understand what you are even talking about at all. Your response have no meaning being that I replied to something out of fun and you come with this crap about someone being dumb or something. Not getting enough lately or did you just wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?
    The problem with playing the cynical card is that you may just be overly sneeringly fool.
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:
    Kiyoris said:
    Cheaper than Oculus.

wow!

Does someone have an agenda here or did I miss something? Are we still having a laugh at happygoggles or did we move onto debating VR technology?
    The numbers on my U/N means more than just that, I was born that year. I was laughing at the happygoggles and didn't have anything to do with a debate on the tech. Sort of brought back memories when I saw the video.
    kage71 said:

The numbers on my U/N means more than just that, I was born that year. I was laughing at the happygoggles and didn't have anything to do with a debate on the tech. Sort of brought back memories when I saw the video.
    people actually think VR is static images on a viewmaster.

Swear to god I met a person yesterday who thought exactly that. No friggin clue at all whatsoever, which is why these cardboard devices need to be out there

I think its safe for me to go with 'VR critics literally think VR is like a viewmaster' 

no friggin clue what they are talking about, they actually think its static images

Xodic said:
    kage71 said:
    I know, it wasn't directed at you, I understood your context even found it amusing. The response though.. makes me wonder if I had the wrong understanding of the true purpose of this topic.

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

Swear to god I met a person yesterday who thought exactly that. No friggin clue at all whatsoever, which is why these cardboard devices need to be out there
    Really now? Hmm let me see if you check the wiki on the view finder you would have known that it is exactly a 3D image. And I quote:View-Master is the trademark name of a line of special-format stereoscopes and corresponding View-Master "reels", which are thin cardboard disks containing seven stereoscopic 3-D pairs of small color photographs on film.

By your logic the car made in 1672 in China isn't a car because it's not made in 2016.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kiyoris said:
    Daikuru said:
    Its a joke, isnt it?
    Nope.

Can we say Happy Meal!

Those things would be really innovative if they served your fries in them beforehand. ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited February 2016
    kage71 said:
    Xodic said:
    kage71 said:
    I know, it wasn't directed at you, I understood your context even found it amusing. The response though.. makes me wonder if I had the wrong understanding of the true purpose of this topic.

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

Really now? Hmm let me see if you check the wiki on the view finder you would have known that it is exactly a 3D image. And I quote:View-Master is the trademark name of a line of special-format stereoscopes and corresponding View-Master "reels", which are thin cardboard disks containing seven stereoscopic 3-D pairs of small color photographs on film.

By your logic the car made in 1672 in China isn't a car because it's not made in 2016.
    see

I was right..some people think VR is like a 1975 viewmaster...swear to god they actually thinkg that. no wonder they are missing out

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:
    Xodic said:
    kage71 said:

SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

see

I was right..some people think VR is like a 1975 viewmaster...swear to god they actually thinkg that. no wonder they are missing out
    Missing out? Hmm I went to school not only for Computer graphics but I build my own pcs. I can build from base to OP system. Do you really think that people who are having a joke on something are missing out on anything?
    edited February 2016
    kage71 said:

Missing out? Hmm I went to school not only for Computer graphics but I build my own pcs. I can build from base to OP system. Do you really think that people who are having a joke on something are missing out on anything?
    yeah missing out

I have tried both a viewmaster and a Oculus VR headset and I can tell you that they aint the same but if you think they are I think its not possible to convince you otherwise without strapping you to a chair and putting both on your face (not at the same time of course)

talking about VR with someone who thinks its like a 1980 viewmaster is a waste of time.

Xodic said:
    This isn't fun anymore. I'm taking my ball and I'm going home.
    sometimes jokes dont turn out very well if they aint well thought out

edited February 2016
    Kiyoris said:
    kage71 said:

I love those, especially the story
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

I have tried both a viewmaster and a Oculus VR headset and I can tell you that they aint the same but if you think they are I think its not possible to convince you otherwise without strapping you to a chair and putting both on your face (not at the same time of course)

talking about VR with someone who thinks its like a 1980 viewmaster is a waste of time.
    Dude seriously what are you even talking about? I mean damn I came here (if you bothered to read instead of all this talking) you would have known I stated it reminded me of the viewmaster. Yet you all tend to want to state that I am saying something I did not say. It only shows you are very ignorant because you have a very poor reading comprehend.  You my friend really need to learn to better yourself 1. by READING WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING INSTEAD OF MAKING IT UP ALL BY YOURSELF!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

An Oculus is pretty much a View Master with head tracking and moving imagery.

Take the Head Tracking away and you've got shit.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited February 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

see!

I knew it!

so yeah saying 'missing out' isnt exactly a stretch even for computer boy

edited February 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    kage71 said:

yeah missing out

To be fair

You want to know what's really funny? It's fact that if any of these people who are claiming all this crap about them not being the same would have read the whole wiki page on it. Here's what it stated directly from the wiki page.

In February 2015, Mattel announced a collaboration with Google to produce a new iteration of View-Master based on virtual reality using smartphones called the View-Master Viewer DLX. The new View-Master is an implementation of the Google Cardboard VR platform, and is accompanied by a mobile app that was built using its SDK. Content is displayed on a smartphone screen; the phone itself is inserted into the back of the unit. Instead of being inserted directly into the View-Master, reels are scanned using an augmented reality interface, which enables access to content from the reel, such as 360-degree panoramas, 3D models, and minigames. The View-Master Viewer DLX is set for release Fall 2016

In other words it's actually a veiwmaster upgrade lol!
    edited February 2016
    kage71 said:
    You want to know what's really funny? It's fact that if any of these people who are claiming all this crap about them not being the same would have read the whole wiki page on it. Here's what it stated directly from the wiki page.

In February 2015, Mattel announced a collaboration with Google to produce a new iteration of View-Master based on virtual reality using smartphones called the View-Master Viewer DLX. The new View-Master is an implementation of the Google Cardboard VR platform, and is accompanied by a mobile app that was built using its SDK. Content is displayed on a smartphone screen; the phone itself is inserted into the back of the unit. Instead of being inserted directly into the View-Master, reels are scanned using an augmented reality interface, which enables access to content from the reel, such as 360-degree panoramas, 3D models, and minigames. The View-Master Viewer DLX is set for release Fall 2016

In other words it's actually the same thing!
    ah I see so you were just being honest and up front and noble and all that good stuff..

well you will never guess which one is in the images people posted here? thats right NOT that one. imagine that.

people are just trying to obfuscate, divert and joke because they got nothing and barely have a clue what they are talking about