Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best game for solo casuals who want to option to group and do pvp

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
I know -- the title sounds trashy. But it's me, after taking a long hard look at what I want in a game now. It doesn't have to be an MMORPG.

What I want is a game where I can do my own thing and there are other players around. I want to have progression and I don't mind solo grind, but I hate dungeons and raids and having to do this or that pve experience repeatedly to get certain must-have pieces of gear. I don't like being locked out of progression by group content.

I like pvp, but I want it to be consensual.

I wouldn't mind doing group content if I had RL friends that played mmos, but I don't. I don't mind being in a casual guild, but I don't want a game that is guild up or go home. I don't like the "in game, in TS" kind of situation. I don't mind scheduled activities, but I don't want to be "on call" every time I log in.

I love games where progression is based on skilling up (skill points, skill trees, etc.)  rather than gear level. I love exploration and crafting.

Comments

• StormtrooperDHStormtrooperDH Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Maybe have a look at The Division, it might have what you want, solo play with possible group/pvp.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I'll second ESO for what you're looking for @d_20
    Gear is there and it's cool, but no the center of the game. Should you check it out, buy the imperial city DLC as well for more pvp fun.

I don't really play it myself, I have a hard time with games that don't have collision detection, most games without I find myself thinking there is and coordinating movement as such, which leads to my inevitable death.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    @DMKano I definitely wanted to try this game, but I am IP blocked to the NA servers, so I will need to look at playing in Korea with an English patch. Probably not so many English-speaking players here now that OCE and SEA are IP blocked to Korea, though. That's why I'm here LFG.

@Torval I always keep ESO on my desktop. I'm just taking a break from it now. I still haven't been able to max Undaunted skills on a single character for reasons stated above. But I love the questing and wish they had some sort of pvp arena. I will probably play more once the next DLC hits. I've also been thinking about downloading TOR again now that all the dust has settled about companion-gate.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• UrncallerUrncaller Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    Was gonna say Black Desert as it fits for PvE side of things you are lookin for , but PvP is not consensual.

It is also gear (enchantment level) based, higher enchantment level provides a significant advantage.

At least the first 45 levels fit 
    Yeah have to agree that BDO would be your best bet that DMK mentioned and pvp is non conensual only if your in a non sfe zone and your 45+  that can be avoided if you plan correctly:P
  • tomyzrtomyzr Member UncommonPosts: 7
    ESO or SWTOR
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    d_20 said:
    @Torval I always keep ESO on my desktop. I'm just taking a break from it now.
    Maybe a list of similar games on the desktop would be nice, to avoid "collisions" :wink:

For example, I'd suggest LotRO, it matches onto all you've listed in OP, but I think you used to post there too, so probably it's in a state like ESO.
    (and also right now LotRO wouldn't be a good suggestion, after the server move the game has some serious performance issues sadly...)
  • AkesukeAkesuke Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited June 2016
    I've tried this game briefly with friends because they wanted me to try it ... I didn't like it ...
    Post edited by Akesuke on
    edited February 2016
    Po_gg said:
    d_20 said:
    @Torval I always keep ESO on my desktop. I'm just taking a break from it now.
    Maybe a list of similar games on the desktop would be nice, to avoid "collisions" :wink:

For example, I'd suggest LotRO, it matches onto all you've listed in OP, but I think you used to post there too, so probably it's in a state like ESO.
    (and also right now LotRO wouldn't be a good suggestion, after the server move the game has some serious performance issues sadly...)
    On my desktop now, I have GW2, ESO, FFXIV (I don't like dungeon based games, but if I do.... :p), WoW (not sure why I keep it there, maybe just a security blanket?), and Trove.

This evening, I was leveling up a toon in ArcheAge (ftp, though I have some compensatory patron time if I want to activate it). I was just messing around with no pressure. I would absolutely buy some property if I found some in a safe zone on Ollo and could pay with credits+gold. I would be down for some farmville action.

If do wind up playing BDO, I will need to play the Korean version with an English patch.

I did play LOTRO in the past. It was out by Roundtop that I got bored and quit playing, but it was a nice game at the time. I think it might feel a bit dated now. How is it these days?

I did love the original Darkfall. I played that for two years till they wiped it. I was able to play solo for a long time. I knew people that played at the same time I did, so I was able to work with people I trusted and knew who to avoid. I play at Oceanic prime time, so the server was really quite dead most of the time. There was a small pop on that mostly recognized each other. I ran with a small clan for a while, too and that was fun. There was a lot to explore and craft. I love open worlds.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148
    GW2 or ESO are good casual Games for solo and Groupcontent
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'm enjoying ESO, and a little BnS currently casual.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    GW2 hands down the best mmorpg ever made.  Just make sure you get on blackgate server so you can enjoy the pvp.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    GW2 hands down the best mmorpg ever made.  Just make sure you get on blackgate server so you can enjoy the pvp.
    I'm on Blackgate B)

I bought HoT, but haven't played much since then. I will come back to it, I'm sure.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    ESO seems to be perfect for what you're looking for. 
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    SWTOR can be a very soloish game, I've played it for a while and 'twas rather enjoyable going solo. But the down side is it's very restricted for f2p people and also lacking in terms of crafting and character progression.

Black Desert would make a decent candidate too but it is b2p, for NA/EU at least which I assume that's where you're from. Also open world Pk is still an unknown, not sure how Western players would embrace/reject that feature. Good thing is that the non-combat content is quite rich and since there are no instances you don't have to worry about must-do dungeons/raids. There are some group-based stuff but nothing that would be too punishing if you choose not to do them. Also gearing wise you don't really need to have the top notch stuff if you don't PvP much, average level gears are sufficient for PvE. And yes there are skill progression too, skill points/vigor/contribution/various life and crafting skills etc etc.
    It seems like I have all the best games for what I'm looking for. It may be that I just need to take a break from mmorpgs for a while and play some of the great single player games I have like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, etc.

I definitely like GW2, ESO, and SWTOR as many of you have suggested. If I'm going to play BDO, it will have to be on the Korean server, since that's where I am now. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I think you know what the choices are at this point. I would echo others who have said ESO, LOTRO, and GW2.  I play similarly to you and I find these games fit  perfectly.  
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    d_20 said:
    It seems like I have all the best games for what I'm looking for. It may be that I just need to take a break from mmorpgs for a while and play some of the great single player games I have like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, etc.

I definitely like GW2, ESO, and SWTOR as many of you have suggested. If I'm going to play BDO, it will have to be on the Korean server, since that's where I am now. Thanks everyone for your ideas.
    Absolutely do it.  Just don't try to do everything in them like I do. . I try to complete everything and end up not finishing those games.  I am enjoying Skyrim again actually.  I find the time away with single players makes me enjoy the MMOs again.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    filmoret said:
    Really? I wasnt impressed with it at all
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    That's how I play WoW. All I really do is play in battlegrounds and Ashran. I don't like instances or raiding. I got all of the first level conquest gear (there are 2 levels of it with not a ton of difference between them) just by playing in Ashran and BG's (queueing solo).

Another option, since it doesn't have to be an MMORPG, is Planetside 2 - an MMOFPS. You can just jump in anytime and start fighting solo or grouped. Everyone pretty much moves together anyway. Gear progression is pvp-based, but you can actually kill a high level player as a new player, though getting the extra gear, weapons, skills etc. helps a lot. You will get those things just through pvp ... there is no pve at all.

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    ESO new dlc in 4 days.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited March 2016
    d_20 said:
    I know -- the title sounds trashy. But it's me, after taking a long hard look at what I want in a game now. It doesn't have to be an MMORPG.

What I want is a game where I can do my own thing and there are other players around. I want to have progression and I don't mind solo grind, but I hate dungeons and raids and having to do this or that pve experience repeatedly to get certain must-have pieces of gear. I don't like being locked out of progression by group content.

I wouldn't mind doing group content if I had RL friends that played mmos, but I don't. I don't mind being in a casual guild, but I don't want a game that is guild up or go home. I don't like the "in game, in TS" kind of situation. I don't mind scheduled activities, but I don't want to be "on call" every time I log in.

I love games where progression is based on skilling up (skill points, skill trees, etc.)  rather than gear level. I love exploration and crafting.

Gonna sound weird, but Eve.  I know no where in Eve is "Safe" but if you stay in High - sec area's your chances of getting involved in PvP are pretty slim.  

It has a skill system, a huge play area (even avoiding Low sec area's) crafting, gathering and plenty of PvE activities.  It's is definitely not for everyone but I believe it is worth a look at.  Also you can get a free 7 day trial so no commitment required.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    d_20 said:

Gonna sound weird, but Eve.  I know no where in Eve is "Safe" but if you stay in High - sec area's your chances of getting involved in PvP are pretty slim.  

It has a skill system, a huge play area (even avoiding Low sec area's) crafting, gathering and plenty of PvE activities.  It's is definitely not for everyone but I believe it is worth a look at.  Also you can get a free 7 day trial so no commitment required.

Thanks for the suggestion. I guess in some ways it is like Darkfall in Space. I've tried it a few times, but I could never get through the tutorial. I like having an avatar. Also there was so much info to digest. I'm not that smart when I play games.