Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
I've been looking into picking up this game, largely because it's been a while since I've played a good crafting game.  There are obvious similarities to the crafting systems of both Vanguard and FFXIV, though I'd probably have to try it for myself to gauge how good the crafting is.  FFXIV's crafting is good and interesting, while Vanguard's had little to offer besides massive amounts of tedious grinding, but the differences are for reasons too subtle to pick up by reading a wiki and various guides.  Still, I have some questions about other things in the game.

1)  Is this basically a deserted, single-player game below the level cap these days?  Or is it still viable to do grouping content on the way up?  If groups are impractical to come by (and I'd regard "spend 20 minutes spamming to get a group" as meaning they're impractical), how much content does this preclude?

2)  Are there any non-obvious barriers to playing a lot of alts and passing items between the alts pretty freely?  I read of a timer on the mail system, but is it still practical to gather materials on one character, mail them to another character, craft stuff, and mail it to yet another character that uses it?

3)  How active is the combat?  Does the skill of the player matter a lot, or is success almost purely about level, gear, or other progression of your character?  I gather that it's not "action" combat, but there are ways to make slower paced combat interesting--and some games do and some don't.

4)  I see stuff about a recommended leveling path that covers a relatively small subset of the zones.  Does that mean the rest of the zones are abandoned and broken, or is it just there to pick a path for people who would otherwise be confused while the other zones are still fine?

5)  Is the game pretty polished by now, or is it a buggy mess?  More than 11 years after launch, they've surely had time to fix whatever was broken years ago if they cared to.

6)  It looks like they have an expansion every year or so.  Would I constantly have to buy expansions on the way up, or do they give all but the latest expansion away for free?

7)  I read that subscribers can split their experience between main level and AA.  Some stuff said not to neglect your AA, but other stuff said that you get AA levels included as you gain main levels and made it look like there was no point in not putting all of your experience into your main level.  What is going on there?

8)  How compatible is the game with playing for relatively modest chunks of time?  There's nothing wrong with needing to spend several hours to do something if it can readily be split over numerous play sessions, but having to play for a contiguous two hours at a time to progress is a non-starter for me.
«1

Comments

  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,369
    1)  No the game has a healthy population at all levels
    2)  Most play with Alts, myself included, the sending of mail is quick and of no concern
    3) Classic Tab Target combat. I usually have around 4 to 5 hotbars on each toon. There is a thing called   Heroic Opportunities. These add flavor to the combat but not really adding skill to it. I love the combat because of the different abilities allow for me to approach things in different ways. Though your mileage may vary.
    4) Since the game is so old there is a plethora of different leveling paths along with your pick as to where to level. That, to me, is one of the strengths of the game. Some never leave certain areas( the zones are massive) , like the Fay, until level 80 or so.
    5) Polished very well. I rarely encounter a bug. Even the zoning has been changed and when you do move between zones it is super fast.
    6) Buy the latest Xpac and you get all the previous ones before it. You then have to buy every one afterwards. So make sure you pick the latest one up.
    7) With AA's some people like to stay a certain level so they do not out level a certain area they are enjoying or are playing with friends of a lower level. You can turn your XP level off and direct your XP gain towards your AA's which allow you to not out level the content but still allow for character growth. For example the level 40 to 60 range has a ton of different areas to explore and heritage quests (Super long detailed quest chains that usually end in a legendary item) if you want to stay and explore these areas without out leveling the quests and zones you can turn of your XP gain and just gain AA.
    8) I think in this area the game excels. You can carve out an hour or less and honestly get something done.
      

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

    1. - Most of the lower levels are going to be solo. I been playing 11 years so I usually just power level through the old content because it is faster. However, you may find the acoustic dungeons some group play after level 20.  I don't use them but I think it is 20-94

    The game is top heavy and that content is real challenging until you get the gear to compensate. I don't run it except with my shadowknight (mostly because I play hard hardcore.. die the char is deleted) she is exception to the rule and I intentionally killed her at level 6 just to get past that.

    2. - Shared bank can put 6 bags in it. 56 slot now I believe. note: weight limit on character was removed several years ago so lot of players run around with storage chests which is 56 slot.

    I have bought char slot for every occupation and one extra slot filled (10) and total slots I have right now is 14. At free you get 4 and sub you get 7 default

    3. - That is debatable some what. the game is after all tab target. In the high end game play knowing when to use what skill like aoe blockers and death savers can make gameplay really fun against the bosses and old epic content. Those skils are in the AA tree which you get at level 10 and there are 350 AA total.

    4. - The leveling path is there to get you through the content faster and with less chance of encountering group or epic mobs. The old zones are fantastic to run an alts through with new crafted gear that you can make for them or mentored down with higher level characters.

    5. - Still has some bugged content but not a game killer. I have at the moment only ran into 3 quests that are bugged out of 1100 I have finished. There are over 6000 quests so I have skipped a lot of content.

    6. - Buy the current game and all previous content is included with exception of AoD expansion which was added some new classes and races and mercenaries. You can use the cash shop to buy these as needed.

    7. - Being a subscriber is not needed but you are locked in 50/50 for experience and AA. Rest is not true. Subscriber get more coin drop, faster run speed, twice the loyalty points and 500 station cash a month. It is worth it since you can use the SC to buy extra slots and cosmetic stuff you would not normally buy with your money. You can NOT buy expansions with SC. If you are subbed there is a loyalty merchant that sells you plat LOL. 500 plat for 5 tokens. Maybe that was anyone including f2p now?

    8. - I play a lot sometimes and maybe a couple hours or even like yesterday under 40 minutes. Can you advance? yes, just not fast.

    Crafting is your thing? You will really love it then. Starting at level 5 you can start doing crafting quests. It use to be the crafting was separate but in this last 2 expansions the developers started adventure and crafting as a joint means to level so that may be a turn off? It is level 90 and up that crafting really shines because a some of the end game gear is crafted by end game mob drops and better than fabled gear. The fact you can change stats on gear as you craft, enchant them with healing or damage and change the stats to suit your character class from level 1 up.

    Since we are on this topic here is somethings that I like.

    After level 5 you can self mentor and go back to 5 and enjoy the level 3 to 5 content you would have missed. You can set your level back every 5 levels so a level 100 can go way back to level 5 and still do content. Are you overpowered? yes and no. If you really want to challenge then use the skills you would get at that tier since the skills are not over written as you level up. By doing this and wearing level appropriate equipment the game becomes rather challenging.

    Mercs - like I said before I play different and solo only because people get ahead or just don't care they die and wipe everyone. A merc is good to have until level 100 and the new content is really difficult to do with mercs but old content is just so faceroll easy you never need a merc unless doing x4 raids. Groups are not a problem if you're good with your class and people will want to group with you.

    There is a down side to the game. The current team to make it has been reduced to basic maintain crew and people are leaving (including myself maybe) for other games.

    I bought BDO but there are things that may keep me away mostly long term stability of the game because I like to commit to long term char builds. I deleted all my chars a year ago in EQ2 and restarted with zero plat so getting 1 to 100 with 5 chars in a year and having 5 others half way means the game has a lot of pull to keep me around.

    hope that was helpful
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    1)  No the game has a healthy population at all levels
    2)  Most play with Alts, myself included, the sending of mail is quick and of no concern
    3) Classic Tab Target combat. I usually have around 4 to 5 hotbars on each toon. There is a thing called   Heroic Opportunities. These add flavor to the combat but not really adding skill to it. I love the combat because of the different abilities allow for me to approach things in different ways. Though your mileage may vary.
    4) Since the game is so old there is a plethora of different leveling paths along with your pick as to where to level. That, to me, is one of the strengths of the game. Some never leave certain areas( the zones are massive) , like the Fay, until level 80 or so.
    5) Polished very well. I rarely encounter a bug. Even the zoning has been changed and when you do move between zones it is super fast.
    6) Buy the latest Xpac and you get all the previous ones before it. You then have to buy every one afterwards. So make sure you pick the latest one up.
    7) With AA's some people like to stay a certain level so they do not out level a certain area they are enjoying or are playing with friends of a lower level. You can turn your XP level off and direct your XP gain towards your AA's which allow you to not out level the content but still allow for character growth. For example the level 40 to 60 range has a ton of different areas to explore and heritage quests (Super long detailed quest chains that usually end in a legendary item) if you want to stay and explore these areas without out leveling the quests and zones you can turn of your XP gain and just gain AA.
    8) I think in this area the game excels. You can carve out an hour or less and honestly get something done.
      
    Thank you for your explanations.

    1)  How hard is it to get a group for lower level group content?  Are there good tools that make it quick to find people and go?  Or is "spend half an hour searching, then give up" likely to be a common outcome?

    3)  I don't have a problem with tab target, but not all tab target combat is equivalent.  Champions Online is tab target and Guild Wars 2 is mostly tab target, but they're far more active than WoW combat, let alone the "it doesn't matter if you physically get up and leave the room during combat" approach of Anarchy Online.

    6)  So that means that I don't get any expansions unless I buy the latest one, but if I buy the latest one, I get them all?

    8)  There's a huge and important difference between:

    a)  Some tasks can be done in half an hour, but many others require multiple hours.  This lets you do things when you only have half an hour to play, but still requires some very long play sessions to do other things.

    b)  Everything or nearly everything in the game can be done without ever having to have a single play session over an hour.  Even if short play sessions are all you have, you're still fine.

    Your answer on #8 strikes me as compatible with either of those, and (a) would be a big problem for me.  Fortunately, I'm not the only one, and the industry seems to have moved mostly to (b).

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm not optimistic about the combat being good, but a combination of good crafting with OK combat would be worthwhile.  I don't want the FFXIV combination of good crafting (and good nearly everything else, for that matter) with awful combat, though I'll probably have to try it myself to see.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2016
    It is a solo game now.

    The crafting is not really worth the effort except that eventually you get to special crafts they added as a cheap gimmick to sell a very weak expansion.These crafts involve a npc that trains/learns the recipe for you then you can craft the items which are very good items,i believe they were rated as Fabled gear.

    Those special crafts also involve special drops which must be farmed,basically killing named bosses but on rare occasion can get a  drop from any mob.
    The combat is simple Wow type combat,pretty much the same as all other mmorpg's.

    IN reality EQ2 seems like the game Blizzard was copying to make Wow,they must have had some insider information.Difference being EQ2 has always had more to offer including housing and guild halls where you can craft and do other stuff as well.

    Some zones,especially if trying to solo them will easily take more than an hour.If your out leveling the content then yes of course it will go faster.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    ArChWind said:

    1. - Most of the lower levels are going to be solo. I been playing 11 years so I usually just power level through the old content because it is faster. However, you may find the acoustic dungeons some group play after level 20.  I don't use them but I think it is 20-94

    The game is top heavy and that content is real challenging until you get the gear to compensate. I don't run it except with my shadowknight (mostly because I play hard hardcore.. die the char is deleted) she is exception to the rule and I intentionally killed her at level 6 just to get past that.

    2. - Shared bank can put 6 bags in it. 56 slot now I believe. note: weight limit on character was removed several years ago so lot of players run around with storage chests which is 56 slot.

    I have bought char slot for every occupation and one extra slot filled (10) and total slots I have right now is 14. At free you get 4 and sub you get 7 default

    3. - That is debatable some what. the game is after all tab target. In the high end game play knowing when to use what skill like aoe blockers and death savers can make gameplay really fun against the bosses and old epic content. Those skils are in the AA tree which you get at level 10 and there are 350 AA total.

    4. - The leveling path is there to get you through the content faster and with less chance of encountering group or epic mobs. The old zones are fantastic to run an alts through with new crafted gear that you can make for them or mentored down with higher level characters.

    5. - Still has some bugged content but not a game killer. I have at the moment only ran into 3 quests that are bugged out of 1100 I have finished. There are over 6000 quests so I have skipped a lot of content.

    6. - Buy the current game and all previous content is included with exception of AoD expansion which was added some new classes and races and mercenaries. You can use the cash shop to buy these as needed.

    7. - Being a subscriber is not needed but you are locked in 50/50 for experience and AA. Rest is not true. Subscriber get more coin drop, faster run speed, twice the loyalty points and 500 station cash a month. It is worth it since you can use the SC to buy extra slots and cosmetic stuff you would not normally buy with your money. You can NOT buy expansions with SC. If you are subbed there is a loyalty merchant that sells you plat LOL. 500 plat for 5 tokens. Maybe that was anyone including f2p now?

    8. - I play a lot sometimes and maybe a couple hours or even like yesterday under 40 minutes. Can you advance? yes, just not fast.

    Crafting is your thing? You will really love it then. Starting at level 5 you can start doing crafting quests. It use to be the crafting was separate but in this last 2 expansions the developers started adventure and crafting as a joint means to level so that may be a turn off? It is level 90 and up that crafting really shines because a some of the end game gear is crafted by end game mob drops and better than fabled gear. The fact you can change stats on gear as you craft, enchant them with healing or damage and change the stats to suit your character class from level 1 up.

    Since we are on this topic here is somethings that I like.

    After level 5 you can self mentor and go back to 5 and enjoy the level 3 to 5 content you would have missed. You can set your level back every 5 levels so a level 100 can go way back to level 5 and still do content. Are you overpowered? yes and no. If you really want to challenge then use the skills you would get at that tier since the skills are not over written as you level up. By doing this and wearing level appropriate equipment the game becomes rather challenging.

    Mercs - like I said before I play different and solo only because people get ahead or just don't care they die and wipe everyone. A merc is good to have until level 100 and the new content is really difficult to do with mercs but old content is just so faceroll easy you never need a merc unless doing x4 raids. Groups are not a problem if you're good with your class and people will want to group with you.

    There is a down side to the game. The current team to make it has been reduced to basic maintain crew and people are leaving (including myself maybe) for other games.

    I bought BDO but there are things that may keep me away mostly long term stability of the game because I like to commit to long term char builds. I deleted all my chars a year ago in EQ2 and restarted with zero plat so getting 1 to 100 with 5 chars in a year and having 5 others half way means the game has a lot of pull to keep me around.

    hope that was helpful
    Thank you for the answers.  So you have to buy mercenaries and the classes and races that were added after launch?  How expensive are they?  And is it a one-time account unlock, or a per-character unlock?  Buy a game first and find out how much it costs later is really not my thing.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,369
    Quizzical said:
    1)  No the game has a healthy population at all levels
    2)  Most play with Alts, myself included, the sending of mail is quick and of no concern
    3) Classic Tab Target combat. I usually have around 4 to 5 hotbars on each toon. There is a thing called   Heroic Opportunities. These add flavor to the combat but not really adding skill to it. I love the combat because of the different abilities allow for me to approach things in different ways. Though your mileage may vary.
    4) Since the game is so old there is a plethora of different leveling paths along with your pick as to where to level. That, to me, is one of the strengths of the game. Some never leave certain areas( the zones are massive) , like the Fay, until level 80 or so.
    5) Polished very well. I rarely encounter a bug. Even the zoning has been changed and when you do move between zones it is super fast.
    6) Buy the latest Xpac and you get all the previous ones before it. You then have to buy every one afterwards. So make sure you pick the latest one up.
    7) With AA's some people like to stay a certain level so they do not out level a certain area they are enjoying or are playing with friends of a lower level. You can turn your XP level off and direct your XP gain towards your AA's which allow you to not out level the content but still allow for character growth. For example the level 40 to 60 range has a ton of different areas to explore and heritage quests (Super long detailed quest chains that usually end in a legendary item) if you want to stay and explore these areas without out leveling the quests and zones you can turn of your XP gain and just gain AA.
    8) I think in this area the game excels. You can carve out an hour or less and honestly get something done.
      
    Thank you for your explanations.

    1)  How hard is it to get a group for lower level group content?  Are there good tools that make it quick to find people and go?  Or is "spend half an hour searching, then give up" likely to be a common outcome?

    3)  I don't have a problem with tab target, but not all tab target combat is equivalent.  Champions Online is tab target and Guild Wars 2 is mostly tab target, but they're far more active than WoW combat, let alone the "it doesn't matter if you physically get up and leave the room during combat" approach of Anarchy Online.

    6)  So that means that I don't get any expansions unless I buy the latest one, but if I buy the latest one, I get them all?

    8)  There's a huge and important difference between:

    a)  Some tasks can be done in half an hour, but many others require multiple hours.  This lets you do things when you only have half an hour to play, but still requires some very long play sessions to do other things.

    b)  Everything or nearly everything in the game can be done without ever having to have a single play session over an hour.  Even if short play sessions are all you have, you're still fine.

    Your answer on #8 strikes me as compatible with either of those, and (a) would be a big problem for me.  Fortunately, I'm not the only one, and the industry seems to have moved mostly to (b).

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm not optimistic about the combat being good, but a combination of good crafting with OK combat would be worthwhile.  I don't want the FFXIV combination of good crafting (and good nearly everything else, for that matter) with awful combat, though I'll probably have to try it myself to see.
    1) If you play on the F2P servers then getting a group can be difficult but the guild finder is amazing and finding one will go a long way in you enjoying this game. If you sub and play on a Time Locked Server then finding a group at lower level has never been hard for me. The guilds in this game are usually from long subbed members like myself who have alts that will level with you in guild groups or in our case 3 guilds.
    Dont listen to those that say you can only play solo at lower levels. Completely not true. Just find a guild. There is a find a guild window that will tell you all about the guild and you can just send a tell to a member that is on and join.

    3) The tab targeting is more along the lines of a WOW but more in depth imo. I played WOW till level 73 and have subbed to EQ2 since launch. EQ2 combat is superior to WOW in every way. (to me)

    6) If you buy the latest Xpac, Terrors of Thalumbra, you get every Xpac previously released. Minus the ability to use Mercs which you purchase on the shop. I never use mercs because of the guild I am in is very active.

    8) Well as far as how much time you devote to the game or the amount of time you have to dedicate towards the game is going to influence what you can and can not do. You can run Agnostic dungeons in a short period of time. (on F2P servers) If you craft, which is the main reason I still sub, you can do writs and complete a few crafting jobs to gain crafting xp for your guild which is nice. Or you can undertake Heritage Quests which can take a long time to complete. Hadden's Earring took me 3 days. Only because I had to do it in stages over the course of three days because of my time limits in RL. I think there are like 64 or 65 Heritage Quests in the game now? These are epic quest chains that require a real journey across Norrath. I love them. If I do quests that is what I do. The crafting quests are great as well. If you sub join a Time Lock Server and Find a guild. You will have no problem getting a group no matter the level. Trust me the servers are full and not just top heavy. The F2P servers are but not the TL. The number of Alts keep it fresh at all levels.

    The combat is hit or miss for most. I love the combat personally but I can understand why some would not.
    If you play solo a lot go with a Shadow Knight,Warlock or the powerful Fury would be my suggestion. If you plan on grouping the Warden is great and so are the Bards.

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited February 2016
    Quizzical said:
    Thank you for the answers.  So you have to buy mercenaries and the classes and races that were added after launch?  How expensive are they?  And is it a one-time account unlock, or a per-character unlock?  Buy a game first and find out how much it costs later is really not my thing.
     They may have removed all restrictions and put the merc and extra classes, races in the expansion because I can't find AoD so maybe they just bundled it all together now. I logged in and looked. All the stuff in my SC window does not show any thing needed to play in chat, mail or auction house so maybe this is all removed too? I'm not sure it use to show up so only limitation is not being able to play ToT (current)) as f2p

    buy basic game for $34.99 which includes all pervious expansions I guess. play f2p

    or sub and for  14.95 a month for the buffs (10% ground and air speed boost, 15% more coin, double loyalty, 500 SC a month)

    added everything is account wide
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    3) The tab targeting is more along the lines of a WOW but more in depth imo. I played WOW till level 73 and have subbed to EQ2 since launch. EQ2 combat is superior to WOW in every way. (to me)
    What makes EQ2 combat better than WoW combat?  I had always assumed they were similar, though now that I think about it, few games go as far in the "everyone gets a trophy for participation" as WoW.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    ArChWind said:

    It use to be the crafting was separate but in this last 2 expansions the developers started adventure and crafting as a joint means to level so that may be a turn off?
    hope that was helpful
    So you're saying that a character has one unified level now that is leveled by both combat and crafting, like what Guild Wars 2 does, as opposed to separate adventuring and tradeskill levels like the wiki describes?
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    edited February 2016
    Quizzical said:
    ArChWind said:

    It use to be the crafting was separate but in this last 2 expansions the developers started adventure and crafting as a joint means to level so that may be a turn off?
    hope that was helpful
    So you're saying that a character has one unified level now that is leveled by both combat and crafting, like what Guild Wars 2 does, as opposed to separate adventuring and tradeskill levels like the wiki describes?
    NO. The crafting quests and the adventuring level are the same meaning to do crafting quest you probably be wise to be same adventure level because you have to go to those zones and do them in and around the mobs of the adventure level.

    However this is NOT mandatory to level the crafting
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
    ArChWind said:

    It use to be the crafting was separate but in this last 2 expansions the developers started adventure and crafting as a joint means to level so that may be a turn off?
    hope that was helpful
    So you're saying that a character has one unified level now that is leveled by both combat and crafting, like what Guild Wars 2 does, as opposed to separate adventuring and tradeskill levels like the wiki describes?
    NO. The crafting quests and the adventuring level are the same meaning to do crafting quest you probably be wise to be same adventure level because you have to go to those zones and do them in and around the mobs of the adventure level.
    Ah, so they are still separate levels.  But it's the sort of thing where a level 40 crafter would use materials gathered by a level 40 adventurer and craft stuff useful to a level 40 adventurer, so trying to be a pure crafter without any adventuring could be trouble?  I was planning on doing both, so that's fine with me.  Thanks for the clarification.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Quizzical said:
       so trying to be a pure crafter without any adventuring could be trouble?  I was planning on doing both, so that's fine with me.  Thanks for the clarification.
    Absolutely NOT. I had at one time 9 level 1 adventures and one max level ranger that harvested the materials and put them in the bank so the level 1 adventures were level 90 crafters. They never once did a quest other than the writs which helped level them up by giving them crafting experience and status, city tokens(whole different convo) about monthly city fairs.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
       so trying to be a pure crafter without any adventuring could be trouble?  I was planning on doing both, so that's fine with me.  Thanks for the clarification.
    Absolutely NOT. I had at one time 9 level 1 adventures and one max level ranger that harvested the materials and put them in the bank so the level 1 adventures were level 90 crafters. They never once did a quest other than the writs which helped level them up by giving them crafting experience and status, city tokens(whole different convo) about monthly city fairs.
    I meant a pure crafter as a player who never goes adventuring and keeps all of his characters at adventuring level 1.  Having a high level adventurer get materials, pass them to a high level crafter with level 1 adventuring, crafting something, and passing the results back to the high level adventurer makes perfect sense.

    In reference to some comments earlier in a thread, I have no problem with paying for a game, but $10/character slot in a subscription game is awfully steep.  You get seven slots if you subscribe, yes, but there are 26 classes.  The number of character slots per account used to be capped, too, which is the biggest reason why I didn't try the game when I seriously looked into it several years ago.

    A developer quote to the effect that, "We're casual friendly because we have some raids that only take three hours" also spooked me then, though it sounds like I shouldn't worry about that today.  Someone who thinks that "only" needing three-hour chunks of time to play makes a game casual friendly is rather disconnected from reality.

    Some people advised grouping with guildies, but I've never yet found a game where that was viable.  Even if a guild has periodically scheduled guild events, they're not often going to happen to be doing the content I want.  If I can't find five people on the entire server who want to do some dungeon when I want to do it, the odds that I'd find five people within a single guild are not good.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Mercs vary in cost,about 1 gold to around 1 plat eventually but can't remember exactly.Way more fun in FFXI where you just seek out the npc's and they can be used in your group for free and up to 5 of them to form a 6 man group.If i remember correctly in EQ2 you can only have 1 merc,they are quite powerful,i reccommend the rogue like as they just eat stuff up instantly.

    IMO the whole idea of Altaholics is just an aged bad design,a sub class system works miles better as all your efforts remain and not spread out over several characters.It actually doesn't even make sense,why can a player only learn one craft or play one set of skills?

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,369
    Grouping without a guild is more than doable. Even more so on the Time Lock Servers.
    There are dungeons that you can do solo, with another person or merc and then there are hard dungeons that take a full group and competent Tank,Healer and CC. Plus Raids.

    I have 4 Max level crafters and they are level ranged 5-15. Plus 2 Max level Adventurers. Being in a guild allows access to the high level mats you would need to craft even if you were not able to level wise go out and get them yourself. One of my crafting toons a while back I used a series of people I found through chat and set up trade agreements with. I crafted them furniture for their homes and they went and got the rares and wood I needed to make them plus a payment of additional mats I used for other orders that were placed or for my own homes.  You do not need to do both. You can just be a crafter. I have a guild mate who just harvests and is the richest character I know of. He does not craft anything. Just sells his mats.

    Yes there are 26 classes but you probably will find yourself picking more good or bad side just because you can mail yourself or share bank yourself. Like a Shadow Knight is evil only and obviously the Pally is the good side version. Some can be both.

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Quizzical said:
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
       so trying to be a pure crafter without any adventuring could be trouble?  I was planning on doing both, so that's fine with me.  Thanks for the clarification.
    Absolutely NOT. I had at one time 9 level 1 adventures and one max level ranger that harvested the materials and put them in the bank so the level 1 adventures were level 90 crafters. They never once did a quest other than the writs which helped level them up by giving them crafting experience and status, city tokens(whole different convo) about monthly city fairs.
    I meant a pure crafter as a player who never goes adventuring and keeps all of his characters at adventuring level 1.  Having a high level adventurer get materials, pass them to a high level crafter with level 1 adventuring, crafting something, and passing the results back to the high level adventurer makes perfect sense.

    In reference to some comments earlier in a thread, I have no problem with paying for a game, but $10/character slot in a subscription game is awfully steep.  You get seven slots if you subscribe, yes, but there are 26 classes.  The number of character slots per account used to be capped, too, which is the biggest reason why I didn't try the game when I seriously looked into it several years ago.

    A developer quote to the effect that, "We're casual friendly because we have some raids that only take three hours" also spooked me then, though it sounds like I shouldn't worry about that today.  Someone who thinks that "only" needing three-hour chunks of time to play makes a game casual friendly is rather disconnected from reality.

    Some people advised grouping with guildies, but I've never yet found a game where that was viable.  Even if a guild has periodically scheduled guild events, they're not often going to happen to be doing the content I want.  If I can't find five people on the entire server who want to do some dungeon when I want to do it, the odds that I'd find five people within a single guild are not good.
    Did you read what I said? level 1 adventure and capped out crafters. However due to the new system they will level to 5 through just running from starter area to the quest giver. LOL

    Anyway yes low level adventures and high level crafters is what I had but then deleted them and started again (which is sorta fun btw) have various chars in various stages of progression.

    For char slots Jesus man just sub and get one every other month.

    If you want to raid then you may have to take 3 hour window on raid night. I stopped that 6 years ago cuz to me it is boring as all hell.

    Up to you I can only say that if you want to get highly technical with game mechanics I can probably write a full six pages but then I don't want to because the wiki is accurate. :)

    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,369
    The game has so much going for it and that is why I have stuck with the game since launch. Not that I have not played other games in that time but EQ2 has a complete package kind of thing going on. As a pure crafting game it is great. As a pure adventure game it is great. As a questing game, imo, it is peerless. Variety is great and the crafting matters to the community. Unless you play on F2P servers. If you do you can still sell your goods but I find it more of a challenge to do so.

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    Yes there are 26 classes but you probably will find yourself picking more good or bad side just because you can mail yourself or share bank yourself. Like a Shadow Knight is evil only and obviously the Pally is the good side version. Some can be both.
    Why would someone make mostly good or mostly evil characters?  Can you not mail to the opposite alignment or have the same shared bank with the opposite alignment?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521

    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
       so trying to be a pure crafter without any adventuring could be trouble?  I was planning on doing both, so that's fine with me.  Thanks for the clarification.
    Absolutely NOT. I had at one time 9 level 1 adventures and one max level ranger that harvested the materials and put them in the bank so the level 1 adventures were level 90 crafters. They never once did a quest other than the writs which helped level them up by giving them crafting experience and status, city tokens(whole different convo) about monthly city fairs.
    I meant a pure crafter as a player who never goes adventuring and keeps all of his characters at adventuring level 1.  Having a high level adventurer get materials, pass them to a high level crafter with level 1 adventuring, crafting something, and passing the results back to the high level adventurer makes perfect sense.

    In reference to some comments earlier in a thread, I have no problem with paying for a game, but $10/character slot in a subscription game is awfully steep.  You get seven slots if you subscribe, yes, but there are 26 classes.  The number of character slots per account used to be capped, too, which is the biggest reason why I didn't try the game when I seriously looked into it several years ago.

    A developer quote to the effect that, "We're casual friendly because we have some raids that only take three hours" also spooked me then, though it sounds like I shouldn't worry about that today.  Someone who thinks that "only" needing three-hour chunks of time to play makes a game casual friendly is rather disconnected from reality.

    Some people advised grouping with guildies, but I've never yet found a game where that was viable.  Even if a guild has periodically scheduled guild events, they're not often going to happen to be doing the content I want.  If I can't find five people on the entire server who want to do some dungeon when I want to do it, the odds that I'd find five people within a single guild are not good.
    Did you read what I said? level 1 adventure and capped out crafters. However due to the new system they will level to 5 through just running from starter area to the quest giver. LOL

    Anyway yes low level adventures and high level crafters is what I had but then deleted them and started again (which is sorta fun btw) have various chars in various stages of progression.

    For char slots Jesus man just sub and get one every other month.

    If you want to raid then you may have to take 3 hour window on raid night. I stopped that 6 years ago cuz to me it is boring as all hell.

    Up to you I can only say that if you want to get highly technical with game mechanics I can probably write a full six pages but then I don't want to because the wiki is accurate. :)

    You said you had a max level ranger harvesting material and passing it to your crafting characters, and the crafters were level 1 adventure, but the ranger that harvested the materials for them wasn't.  I assumed that you crafted stuff and sent it back to the ranger, though I suppose that was an assumption on my part.

    As for subscribing to get a new slot every other month, that means 38 months of subscription before I can play how I want.  That's a complete non-starter.  I'd plan on doing what I've done with other games:  try the game first, see if I like it on the first few characters, and then buy more character slots once I have the idea that the game might be good.  In Guild Wars 1 and 2 and Champions Online I ended up buying the character slots I wanted.  In Vanguard, I concluded the game was awful and quit before running out of slots became an issue.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Quizzical said:
    Yes there are 26 classes but you probably will find yourself picking more good or bad side just because you can mail yourself or share bank yourself. Like a Shadow Knight is evil only and obviously the Pally is the good side version. Some can be both.
    Why would someone make mostly good or mostly evil characters?  Can you not mail to the opposite alignment or have the same shared bank with the opposite alignment?
    All chars on the account share the same shared bank and a  personal bank. It was changed like 6 years ago.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    Wizardry said:
    IMO the whole idea of Altaholics is just an aged bad design,a sub class system works miles better as all your efforts remain and not spread out over several characters.It actually doesn't even make sense,why can a player only learn one craft or play one set of skills?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about unless you mean FFXIV's armory system.  That works pretty well for crafting, but not so well for adventuring, as the first class does the quests and then the rest have a ton of grinding to do if they want to level up.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 13,369
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
    Yes there are 26 classes but you probably will find yourself picking more good or bad side just because you can mail yourself or share bank yourself. Like a Shadow Knight is evil only and obviously the Pally is the good side version. Some can be both.
    Why would someone make mostly good or mostly evil characters?  Can you not mail to the opposite alignment or have the same shared bank with the opposite alignment?
    All chars on the account share the same shared bank and a  personal bank. It was changed like 6 years ago.
    Agreed but if you find yourself grouping and guilding a lot, one faction over the other usually play a role in what you do. I play generally the Evil side.(I like the classes and Freeport)  You can also do the betrayal quest which is a ton of fun imo.

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yes without writing an essay you need to make all your players preferably in the same city.IMO the best city was that one with the Lifts,Gorowyn maybe it was called?They didn't have it on the time lock servers.

    I tried hard to get back into it,but linear questing is just not for me anymore,too boring.I would much rather play FFXI because it makes more sense.Craft all on the same player,sub classes just way better than what EQ2 is doing.

    BY time you get level 40 or so you'll be spamming 4-5 hotbars,not very comfortable to game like that.In FFXI we write macros and accomplish what we need in about 2 macro sets.I have played too much of FFXI and now seek a new game that offers a similar "make sense" game design.I actually detest yellow markers over npc heads and i hate hand holding.

    EQ2 imo is the best at that type game design  but it is simply not my preferred type of mmorpg game design.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 24,521
    Wizardry said:
    Yes without writing an essay you need to make all your players preferably in the same city.IMO the best city was that one with the Lifts,Gorowyn maybe it was called?They didn't have it on the time lock servers.
    Why have all of the characters start in the same city?  I'd think it would make more sense to spread them out and hit all of the different content by having different characters do different content.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    ArChWind said:
    Quizzical said:
    Yes there are 26 classes but you probably will find yourself picking more good or bad side just because you can mail yourself or share bank yourself. Like a Shadow Knight is evil only and obviously the Pally is the good side version. Some can be both.
    Why would someone make mostly good or mostly evil characters?  Can you not mail to the opposite alignment or have the same shared bank with the opposite alignment?
    All chars on the account share the same shared bank and a  personal bank. It was changed like 6 years ago.
    Agreed but if you find yourself grouping and guilding a lot, one faction over the other usually play a role in what you do. I play generally the Evil side.(I like the classes and Freeport)  You can also do the betrayal quest which is a ton of fun imo.
    LOL I play both sides. Since they made most classes neutral I have a good side coercer and evil Illusionist,  bad aligned ranger and good aligned Assassin. :) 
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

    If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
Sign In or Register to comment.