Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Game Breakdown by DocGotGame - CBT2 - Black Desert Online

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2016 in Videos Discussion

imageA Game Breakdown by DocGotGame - CBT2 - Black Desert Online

We sit down and talk about what BDO is during cbt2. *Updated Info* This was recorded during the beta so as I learn more about certain aspects of the game I'll update this section with new info.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This guy tells it like it is.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Yeah. Good streamer. First time I see a stream by him
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Really informational video.

• jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    feels like hes yelling at me and i did somthing wrong lol
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

jigo86 said:

It's because you didn't fit his headphones on correctly for him.
  • xenoracexenorace Member UncommonPosts: 205
    That was a great breakdown. I am still not comfortable dropping a retail price for this game yet with a cashshop that charges that kind of money for costumes.

S.C.I.F.I
    <Sights, Clouded, In, False, Illusions>

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    He should also wear his glasses like he's wearing his headset..all across the face with just one eye looking through them.

JudgeUK said:

jigo86 said:

It's because you didn't fit his headphones on correctly for him.

How do you know that his ears aren't just offset?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Fist of all the guy gets two thumbs up from me,very informative,and does it very well.
    The game does a lot of things i really like but ruins the immersion with automated game play and lines roaming all over the map.
    I like the grinding mobs,i like skill points,CP.I do NOT like ANY forced pvp so the game fails there.I also do not like pvp because it ruins any chance for grouping to be at it's best in PVE mode.I am glad that it is not a Raid game or a Themepark but it then flip flops the design in a negative fashion.

Nodes ,i do not like the whole node idea.The whole system is really nice on paper but it seems like the developer realized it would be too costly to do it right so they tried to automate it and minimize the actual game play.

Energy?? oh hell no.

Cash shop...well we already know it is done over the top.
    'P2W??This is where his lack of gaming experience comes in.A pet that auto loot is a HUGE time saver,that IS p[2W,ANY time improvement is p2w.If i hit level 45 before anyone else,i have no worry about pvp,so it most certainly is p2w.

"DO whatever you want"Except it forgets that certain things i do NOT want to do are forced upon me.

There is just so much good and bad and the bad is enough that i won't play the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2016
    Bottom line is if the game did not have pvp,it would tip the scales enough that i overlook some terrible class designs and might play it. The no level cap is typical of Korean game play,it completely ruins pvp but seems they are ok with unbalanced pvp,dumb idea to me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    jigo86 said:
    Precisely why I just cannot watch this guy, his energy level is just... the opposite of chill. Seems like a nice guy, informative etc, but just not my favorite for that reason.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    What the max is,is not important in the least.'It's like saying that car was red then someone comes along and says "it was  Candy apple not just red".

All that matters is to inform what the systems are and what they are used for ,basic understanding information is what he was trying to convey and he did it very well.He explained a LOT of the game in a very fast manner where sometimes i see articles going on for 6 paragraphs not telling me a single thing.
    You could just watch a Ripper video where he says AWESOME every second line,this guy at least comes off as legit.

Geesh i commented on an article yesterday,it sounded like the writer was presenting an English composition,lost my interest very quickly.I like straight shooter information not articulate fancy words because i am not sitting here wearing a tuxedo with a glass monacle and a glass of wine, schmoozing it up.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited February 2016
    DMKano said:
    Recore said:

He does - too bad he doesn't actually understand any of the systems in depth.

He's not an Black Desert expert - but it seems he did stay at the Holiday Inn ;)
    Pot calling the kettle black?
    DMKano said:
    So much incorrect information by this guy - it's painful.

Negative 300k karma is not the max. Doesn't understand the differences in housing heh, his trade info is incomplete.

It's like a bunch of half truths and incomplete information - at least he admits that he doesn't know when it comes to anything specific.
    "I don't know the specifics" - says that quite a few times
    Ouch
    Note, he didn't say 300,000 was the max negative karma, he said you can get 300,000 neg karma before you go into the red. He put it in a convoluted way, but what he meant was the maximum positive karma you can have is 300,000.

DMKano said:

YashaX said:

DMKano said:

Recore said:

He does - too bad he doesn't actually understand any of the systems in depth.

He's not an Black Desert expert - but it seems he did stay at the Holiday Inn ;)

Pot calling the kettle black?

Whatever dude - I am not claiming to be an expert - but you know yourself that this video has a lot of bad/missing information

cross check yourself

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JnFambQifvui7-V68QMsfuXuhAuu4C0NsVJCxJIv84E/edit

Obviously the PvP area of this doc is wrong as NA/EU PvP karma penalties are different.

He made a good attempt at briefly conveying the depth of the multifarious systems in BDO in a positive light, unlike you who have tried to knock the game and paint it in the worst possible way for the last year or so.

Neither of you are experts on the game, but the guy who made this video has captured the spirit of the game more accurately than most of your commentary on it, and was humble enough to admit the still had a lot to learn.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Watched the first few minutes, but, not impressed, though he did manage to turn me off of the game completely, he also seems confused by what a sandbox game is, as he claimed the game is one, and then began listing off a whole bunch of things that were theme park game features, the main one of course being level based gameplay.
    Areas accessible based on level = Themepark
    Character levelling = Themepark
    Levelling Characters based on access to increasingly higher level targets/monsters/animals etc. oddly enough, is a Themepark feature.
    Character gameplay determined by class choice = Themepark.
    So based on this guys 'review' BDO is just another variation of a classic themepark game.

Also, for a youtuber, the guy seems to have confused a 'forceful intonation' with a 'persuasive' one, he might get people to listen to him for longer if he toned it down a little, as the main reason i stopped listening after a few minutes was because i couldn't bear to listen to his voice any longer. O.o
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited February 2016
    After watching a lot of videos and info about bd, it is still unclear to me how forced pvp is. Some say you don't have to pvp and that it is a choice, and this guy says if you are not a pvp player then stay away..

The pvp specifics are very much where it tips to a yes or a hell no for me. I can live with some occasional getting killed, but if the systems allow asshattery (like some gankfest games do) then I have no interest. I can appreciate danger and some amount of pvp if it has a purpose, but if pvp become the carrying part and reason to play then it is has lost its purpose (if that makes sense).

So the question is, can someone who knows about this and the karma system give some examples on why it is either allowing or preventing asshattery, ganking, griefing. Detailed information about why systems works or why they are flawed. If you think griefing is awesome and anything not 100% anarchi is for carebears, there is no need to reply, I am looking for actual information.

Ex: I decide be destructive.. How many random players can I kill, what exactly are the consequences, what do I need to do to get rid of the karma loss and how long would that typically take.. Are there loopholes, like karma resetting when logged off or that it only takes 10 minutes of doing [insert whatever]..
    The guy in video gets two thumbs up from me and that is not easy to accomplish  :D
    He wasn't selling the game,but he could work as a PR guy for sure,his straight forward no BS way of explaining things goes a long way,he almost convinced me to play the game lol and i hate pvp in rpg's.

Been a few hours so my shotty memory might forget but he was basically saying peeps are free to PK up to about 5 then they take a risk and that starts around level 45.
    My simple math says 5x30k players is like 150k PK's before there is a risk involved,so pretty much open season pvp at 45.
    I have no idea,it is like 5 different people made this game.On one hand they are moving in a really great direction with the game,then BAM lets have some open pvp added at 45.It was like ..ok lets hook them all in and sneak it in at 45,they'll never know what hit them.

I would like to know who designed all the dumb ideas,their getting coal in their stocking this Christmas lmao.

The system designers that did a good job in parts of the game can ride on my boat AND eat my pizza :P

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Phry said:
    Watched the first few minutes, but, not impressed, though he did manage to turn me off of the game completely, he also seems confused by what a sandbox game is, as he claimed the game is one, and then began listing off a whole bunch of things that were theme park game features, the main one of course being level based gameplay.
    Levelling Characters based on access to increasingly higher level targets/monsters/animals etc. oddly enough, is a Themepark feature.
    So based on this guys 'review' BDO is just another variation of a classic themepark game.

Also, for a youtuber, the guy seems to have confused a 'forceful intonation' with a 'persuasive' one, he might get people to listen to him for longer if he toned it down a little, as the main reason i stopped listening after a few minutes was because i couldn't bear to listen to his voice any longer. O.o
    The game never get to the sandbox until you get the PvP flag Phry. The systems kick it at that point and I think a lot of people are going to be really shocked and surprised when many guys who are intended to RPK start roaming the world.

I bought the game knowing some of these based on flow charts and information floating all over the forums. Much of this information is misinformation.

to build any sort of empire in trading will require player to be PvP and defend their nodes or lose them, to make a guild will require player to be PvP enabled (unless they change it)

All resources will be camped by PvP including low level area to control the flow of materials. All the best resources are in post 50 areas and maximum non-PvP is level 45 making it almost impossible to get them without getting killed.

Well I knew going in I would have to flag up PvP enabled but I was going on the information they had made griefing by PK kills through karma and flagging difficult. What I eventually found out is post 45 anyone can PK you and cause you to lose experience. Since the game is heavily grind post 55 it is going to be major issues for anyone to advance unless they are geared and ready to fight over grinding spots. The developer caved in to the PvP crying and reduced the karma penalty and made it so the OW PK is going to be a valid means to play.

The other thing I learned is that any guild can declare war on another and attack weather the other guild accepts the declaration of war or not and they will not lose karma or have to pay every 2 hours to keep the war going. If the other guild decides to accept then all members regardless of level are open target even those that are level under the PvP requirements.

It's a sandbox just not until 45 on.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    ArChWind said:
    Phry said:

The game never get to the sandbox until you get the PvP flag Phry. The systems kick it at that point and I think a lot of people are going to be really shocked and surprised when many guys who are intended to RPK start roaming the world.

I bought the game knowing some of these based on flow charts and information floating all over the forums. Much of this information is misinformation.

to build any sort of empire in trading will require player to be PvP and defend their nodes or lose them, to make a guild will require player to be PvP enabled (unless they change it)

All resources will be camped by PvP including low level area to control the flow of materials. All the best resources are in post 50 areas and maximum non-PvP is level 45 making it almost impossible to get them without getting killed.

Well I knew going in I would have to flag up PvP enabled but I was going on the information they had made griefing by PK kills through karma and flagging difficult. What I eventually found out is post 45 anyone can PK you and cause you to lose experience. Since the game is heavily grind post 55 it is going to be major issues for anyone to advance unless they are geared and ready to fight over grinding spots. The developer caved in to the PvP crying and reduced the karma penalty and made it so the OW PK is going to be a valid means to play.

The other thing I learned is that any guild can declare war on another and attack weather the other guild accepts the declaration of war or not and they will not lose karma or have to pay every 2 hours to keep the war going. If the other guild decides to accept then all members regardless of level are open target even those that are level under the PvP requirements.

Sounds like your a bit confused about what a sandbox is too, as none of what you describe has anything to do with a game being a sandbox game, but about a game being an OW-PVP game, and OW-PVP is not a sandbox feature, oddly enough.

So what you are basically saying, is that BDO is an OW-PVP Themepark. Or more precisely, a themepark game that starts off with a few PVE features, which then gradually becomes more PVP orientated as the players level up, which basically means it will be a niche game that only appeals to PVP orientated players, PVE players will undoubtedly either avoid this game completely, or abandon it after a few weeks.
    That really isnt' a recipe for success, at least not in the western market. O.o
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    ArChWind said:
    Phry said:
    @ArChWind Assuming your information is correct, that pretty much made the decisions for me.
    @Phry Your definition of themepark is complete nonsense.. With all respect.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I think he does a good job explaining what BDO is. Thumbs up!

Does he know everything ? No he doesn't and he says so himself. But he is good at delivering the message what BDO basically is and what it takes to enjoy it. You don't need every detail for that.

For me it was, if you enjoy PvP, especially guild PvP or with friends and have a lot of time, BDO is the game for you. So it's not for me which is unfortunate because it has many features like more sandboxish, open world, crafting, traveling, boats, skills and all the stuff which I really like. But in the end I would probably just one of the PvPers victims or couldn't take part in many of it's activies.

But that's ok, it's a game made for guild/group PvP'ers. I wish them the best and hope it doesn't get P2W and they find enough people to keep the game running.
    edited February 2016
    kjempff said:
    ArChWind said:
    Phry said:
    @ArChWind Assuming your information is correct, that pretty much made the decisions for me.
    @Phry Your definition of themepark is complete nonsense.. With all respect.
    early LOL Was thinking this was response to another thread I deleted the content disregard.

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    Phry said:
    ArChWind said:
    Phry said:

Sounds like your a bit confused about what a sandbox is too, as none of what you describe has anything to do with a game being a sandbox game, but about a game being an OW-PVP game, and OW-PVP is not a sandbox feature, oddly enough.

So what you are basically saying, is that BDO is an OW-PVP Themepark. Or more precisely, a themepark game that starts off with a few PVE features, which then gradually becomes more PVP orientated as the players level up, which basically means it will be a niche game that only appeals to PVP orientated players, PVE players will undoubtedly either avoid this game completely, or abandon it after a few weeks.

I'm not confused a bit it IS OW FFA PvP post 45. Just like all the other OW FFA PvP in existence.

ArChWind said:
    Phry said:
    ArChWind said:
    Phry said:

I'm not confused a bit it IS OW FFA PvP post 45. Just like all the other OW FFA PvP in existence.
    I totally agree with what your saying, post 45 its an OW FFA PvP game.
    it seems we are in agreement after all. =)