Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Video Card

dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
I have been using my existing video card for going on 5 years now and figured surely by now I must be falling behind the pack. I keep doing benchmark searches for my card vs newer ones and am not seeing any or much difference to make it worthwhile purchasing a new one at all. Am I missing something or is this card THAT good?
I have the Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 w 3GB and plan to start playing Black Desert Online when it launches and thought surely by now I would need something much better than what I have. Am I good with what I have or should I invest in something new?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Why waste money if you're happy with what you have. Who cares about benchmarks. Besides, now is a really bad time to upgrade because new GPU are around the corner.

Why upgrade though, if it's not broken don't fix it.
  • dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Oh I agree if it is still a good relevant video card and will run BDO with ease then yes I will keep it but I have not tried the game yet so I don't really know for sure. It appears to be a very graphic game and figured since it has been 2 years since I asked this same question about vid cards, and 5 years since I bought this one, by now there would be something  a lot better than what I have to run the latest stuff. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    It's not terribly likely that you've had your video card for 5 years considering that it wasn't available to buy until 2012.

Try the game before you replace your video card.  What you have is much faster than the recommended system requirements for the game, so you'll probably be happy with your performance.  If you aren't, I'd generally recommend doubling your performance to justify an upgrade, which would put you awfully near the top of the line.  I'd advise against upgrading to anything less than a Radeon R9 Fury or a GeForce GTX 980 Ti.  To get some newer equivalents, your current card is about as fast as a Radeon R9 380 or a GeForce GTX 960.
  • dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Quizzical said:
    It's not terribly likely that you've had your video card for 5 years considering that it wasn't available to buy until 2012.

Try the game before you replace your video card.  What you have is much faster than the recommended system requirements for the game, so you'll probably be happy with your performance.  If you aren't, I'd generally recommend doubling your performance to justify an upgrade, which would put you awfully near the top of the line.  I'd advise against upgrading to anything less than a Radeon R9 Fury or a GeForce GTX 980 Ti.  To get some newer equivalents, your current card is about as fast as a Radeon R9 380 or a GeForce GTX 960.
    Thanks Quizzical. And honestly yeah it has probably been closer to 4 years since I got this one but as I get older I keep losing track of these things and use the "best guess" method  lol.