Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall just botted the hype scores of all mmorpg.com games?

SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
edited February 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Or what just happened?
Post edited by Svarcanum on

Comments

• LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    lol, been here long? That thing has never worked properly.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Didnt they do that before? The forums here would have the fraction of viewers of others but DF would be the most hyped game.
  • AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236
    It seems that a game's hype meter needs a minimum of 15 votes for it to be listed in the hype section. I only know this because I just happened to be the 15th voter for Darkfall New Dawn, and it just popped up in the "Top Voted Games" section. So no, there were no bots involved. 

To those who enjoyed Darkfall Online in the past, but were disappointed with the direction it took, check out Darkfall New Dawn. The code to the original Darkfall game (i.e., not Darkfall Uholy Wars) was purchased by a group of developers who are working to take the game in the direction it was originally intended to go. If interested, you can check out their plans here http://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Working As Intended.

The displayed score is not the average of the ratings that players have given.  Rather, if the highest average score among all qualifying games is x, then they add 5 - x/2 to the displayed scores for all games.

The reason they do this is that typically, the highest average rating that any game gets is about a 7, "rated 7/10" sounds like people think a game is merely okay, not "the #1 rated game on mmorpg.com".  This usually pushes the top rated game into the mid 8s.

So if normally the top rated game has a true rating of 7, then all other games get 5 - 7/2 = 1.5 added to their displayed scores.  If suddenly a game shows up with a true rating of 9, then all other games now only get 5 - 9/2 = 0.5 added to their displayed scores, which makes it look like all other games had their ratings drop by 1.  But the rating didn't change, only the displayed scores.

What commonly happens is that people who really like a game rate it highly and no one else bothers, so a game accumulates very high ratings while it has too few ratings to qualify.  Then once it does qualify, it's massively higher than everything else.  Then fans of other games notice and rate the newly qualified game low to push it down so that their own favorite games can be rated higher.  This is why there's a huge glut of games rated just below what it takes to show as #7 on the list, as there are no longer fans of other games who notice it and rate it down.
  • AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Excellent explanation, Quizzical. And that goes to show why my 15th vote propelled Darkfall to the top. 
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    edited February 2016
    I know Black Desert was at 8.13 (I might be wrong on the last decimal) two days ago. And it was not even on the top list then, so all games above had to be higher. Today no game is even close to that. So not only did DF get upvotes, but it had to bot downvotes. That's why I'm thinking botting.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    15 people think this is a good game *thumbsup*
    Harbinger of Fools
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Something is up. Blak Desert just went from 6.xx to 7.27 in about 15mins.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Whoa DarkFall is number one on the hype meter?! Bahahaha DFs PR team has been extremely busy!

• RyuushimaRyuushima Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited February 2016
    9.34 score now?  Yep very believable.../nope xD
    Also lol that every other popular game now barely has a 7
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Why would DF be on the hype meter, it's been out for y.... wait, are they making a new DF game?
  • TerratrixxTerratrixx Member UncommonPosts: 4
    It should be true because its still clearly the best game ever made.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    How can it be 1st? Either this site gets paid for that or somebody hacked the meter.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Nice to see Darkfall New Dawn on top. Can't wait for it to be released.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Nayr752 said:
    I remember when EQNext was there... and look what happened to it.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Pepeq said:
    Nayr752 said:
    I remember when EQNext was there... and look what happened to it.
    Whatever floats your boat. :expressionless: 
  • atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    edited February 2016
    Third... er fourth... er fifth time is the charm right?

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    atziluth said:
    Third... er fourth... er fifth time is the charm right?

Maybe its a cat with nine lives?
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Eh doesn't mean much, why is this even a thread?

It's barely more than 40 votes. Doesn't even seem like a bot would be needed, just a single player convincing their guild to vote and maybe posting a DF forum thread asking people to come here to vote.  Not saying it couldn't be the company manipulating the voting but I think it's silly how players love to jump immediately to the tinfoil hat explanation when a simpler explanation is more likely.

Just vote what you think the game is worth and it'll return to whatever hype it deserves....if it's even worth that much attention.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver