Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much weight should forums carry with devs.

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
I'm sure we've all seen the threads in various forums on how the devs need to do this or that.  That if they don't listen to their community (forum wise), they are gonna fail.  The list goes on with the many things people suggest/demand/comment on forums.  Some of these are good, some bad, some bizarre.

How much weight should/do forums carry.  IMO forums should be taken 'tentatively.'  They are a relatively small sampling of the overall population which means that they don't necessarily reflect the whole.  It also seems that forums create a kind of hive mind where people enjoy piling on to topics.  People also enjoy making grandiose statements as if they are speaking MMO Gospel.  I don't say to discount the forums because there are a lot of intelligent people who provide good feedback.  I just think that it isn't the be all/end all of community sentiment.

A follow up question would be:  Where method should the devs give the most weight to, when it comes to feedback.  The proper answer IMO is several sources.  Given that, which single method should be given the greatest weight amongst those several sources?

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    edited February 2016
    I think developers should always listen, be accepting to input. SWG NGE is an example where they ignored the community completely, did their own thing, and we know what happened.

But there are times when some people might be better ignored I think. Especially when the issue concerns underrepresented forum groups, like more casual players who rarely frequent forums. Almost every suggestion to do partial gear resets to get casual players enjoying the latest expansion or content, is met with resistance from more dedicated players. Even though most people know that partial gear resets are often needed to keep the population healthy. People don't like the idea that part of their effort might be partially reset, that older gear might become easier to acquire, they tend to be extremely vocal about this, resisting any change, but it is often essential to keep casuals interested in the game, and to prevent them from falling hopelessly behind.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    When it comes to class forums and specific users that do a ridiculous amount of testing and theory crafting - i'd say a lot. I only say this because i've lost count of how many times certain aspects remain broken or abilities not used because balancing is off. Numbers are providing by actual players with experience and usually better options are recommended.

When it comes to complaining for the sake of complaining - then i say not a lot.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    At one point in time, maybe 5 years ago or so, I would say they should play a significant role, but now days I say very little at best. 

Forums, Reddit, etc tend to be filled mainly with 1. haters, 2. fanbois and with both paying attention and changing things based on those groups causes more trouble then good. 

If I was working for a game, I would look over forums, etc but wouldn't take to much offered on them into account.  Sure if you have released a major patch, watch them to see if possibly any potential bugs appeared, but just because someone doesn't like the skill change made or changes in drops done doesn't mean it is bugged.

So yes they should watch these places but not rely on them.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    none , they should ignore it entirley , Most games are ruined by forum whiners ... and Devs caving to them ...  They have systems in place to gather data , test and determine the best fixes/tweaks .. It is always an endless cycle with MMOs ..But listening to forum cry-babbies never brought anything good to games , on the contrary , usually damaging the experience
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I'm sure we've all seen the threads in various forums on how the devs need to do this or that.  That if they don't listen to their community (forum wise), they are gonna fail.  The list goes on with the many things people suggest/demand/comment on forums.  Some of these are good, some bad, some bizarre.

How much weight should/do forums carry.  IMO forums should be taken 'tentatively.'  They are a relatively small sampling of the overall population which means that they don't necessarily reflect the whole.  It also seems that forums create a kind of hive mind where people enjoy piling on to topics.  People also enjoy making grandiose statements as if they are speaking MMO Gospel.  I don't say to discount the forums because there are a lot of intelligent people who provide good feedback.  I just think that it isn't the be all/end all of community sentiment.

A follow up question would be:  Where method should the devs give the most weight to, when it comes to feedback.  The proper answer IMO is several sources.  Given that, which single method should be given the greatest weight amongst those several sources?

Forums should give the punks on forums zero.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

I honestly think the forums should be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of times people complain about things by what they heard about something, not what they themselves experienced. An in game survey should do better but could be iffy also. Its hard to give devs a solid feedback because people just don't care. The ones that do usually give a high score even if undeserving and the haters will bash even if its the best thing ever.

Maybe if they used a couple different sources then took an average of what they got between 2-3 different methods and went from there. I remember back in when EQ2 first launched, I knew a lot of people liked the progression toward your class and group content, people on the forums like no progression to your main class and solo content. People on the forums won, still didn't play the game, people in game lost got irritated and stopped. Forums cant be trusted, not saying every poster/thread is bad but its just hard to trust what is said on the forums these days.. or well ever really.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    They shouldn't at all unless something is majorly wrong which devs metrics shuold show anyway. Devs should ignore the forums other than for maybe future ideas. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Devs should pay attention to the forums. They are usually host to the most loyal players and typically represent a sampling of the player base as a whole. Unlike protests that are typically a vocal minority, forum posting doesn't come with the same inconveniences as protesting.
    I have played many mmos and either lurked or participated on many of their forums. When the devs go against the majority forum opinions, it has ALWAYS had a sharp decline in the player base. There are many successful and unsuccessful MMOs that come from a variety of reasons. Ignoring a sampling of your player base is just a bad idea.
    When it comes to getting future content ideas from the forums, take it with a grain of salt. If you look at the modding, there are a lot of cheat mods. There is a desire from the player base to acquire things easily and in general cheat. For an MMORPG cheating or accelerating the growth rate of players in the game can have an adverse affect on the population soon after. There are good mods that contribute to their game, so the dev should still look. Just pick and choose what works and what doesn't.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Ignore them entirely, I think.

By and large they're about as far from a representative sample as it's possible to get. I've seen far too many games ruined, even to the point of going out of business, by devs listening to that tiny, but extremely vocal, minority that spends more time on forum PvP than they do actually playing the game.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's your customer base.  You don't get very successful by ignoring your customers.  I agree you don't want to listen to the loud minority and the truth is a lot of the player-base never go to the forums unless there's a problem going on with the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Devs should not DO everything suggested on a forum but they SHOULD listen with an open mind.

Those who think they know everything always fail...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited February 2016
    Go get the server(s) that the forum is hosted on and put them on a scale.  That's how much weight the forums should carry with developers.  You may have to pro-rate it if it shares a server with other things, however.

More seriously, developers of already released games who have no clue what their players want are totally incompetent.  But forums aren't the only type of feedback available.  You don't want to just listen to the loudest voices clamoring for something that 95% of the playerbase would hate.  I've sometimes wondered why more game developers don't implement in-game polls like A Tale in the Desert does.
  • LazyDazedLazyDazed Member UncommonPosts: 166
    No weight, the forums are filled unintelligible and remarkably ignorant people. 
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    zero
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    To be honest in most cases the people will only goto forums to complain or whine,  so your already starting from a negative point

However, that is not to say notice shouldn't be taken from forums, in the case of my beloved eve, on there we have a 'suggestion' section that can be anything you think will make the game better, and it is then discussed in Nth degree, at which point it will be either considered for putting forward as a suggestion to the devs or just ditched, and in my experience only maybe 1-100/200 get that far, most get ditched straight away by the other players

But then once htey get to the devs then its down to the techinical can it be done, and how will it impact the game, so then maybe 1 in 100 or so get through if that, so your taking about 0.05% - 0.1% of any ideas get accepted and maybe into game.

But the ones that do end up shaping the game for the better good (in most cases)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Have you read them? 
    a) "Make the game harder!"
    b) "make the game easier!"
    For added hilarity (a) very often become (b) if you actually give them what they ask for and they end up wiping over and over, also a minority very often loudly demand things that drives the majority away from the game.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    A developer should browse through, but take any suggestions with a grain of salt, and stick to their own vision of what they want their game to be. Most people on official forums make suggestions based on their own best interests, not those of the game overall. Furthermore a good deal of a game's players don't even bother with them. 

WoW's entire existence has been plagued by knee-jerk reactions to a whiny minority on the forums, and its always caused much more harm than good. CCP's reaction to forum whiners over the initial, optional implementation of walking in stations has caused EVE to stagnate big time, instead of evolving into something greater over time as CCP wanted. Bioware's overreaction to forum whiners almost ruined much needed buffs to companions. 

Of course, if Carbine had listened more to their forum posters during Wildstar's development, they might not be up shit creek right now. However that was during the alpha and beta stages of development, which is an entirely different situation than post-release. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    What was that movie with the discussion about listen to Hendrix vs hear Hendrix ? Anyways, Developers should not listen (as in the specific complaints and demands) to the players, they should hear the players (what is the meaning behind)... uhm or something like that.
    Stay true to the vision and communicate that vision faithfully and continuously, don't let players opinions guide specific decisions - Then players know what they get, and that makes it much harder to be disappointed.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    One of the problems with forums, is that one thread will say do X and the other will say the exact opposite.  Both of these sides will have supporters and detractors.  If the devs listen to one side and not the other and things don't work out, 'gotcha' and the reverse.  Either way, there are gonna people who say 'told ya so'  

How do the devs filter through the muck?

I self identify as a monkey.

• loghorizon01loghorizon01 Member UncommonPosts: 32

IMO, these days forums are full of fanbois and trolls. Only the bugs feedback should be taken seriously. I think it would be better for devs to use in-game stats forums can be heard.

What I mean by in game stats is stuff like, how many players completed the newest dungeon (to see if their update is popular and not too hard), the percentage of players who have lower tier equips compared to their level (to see if drops need to be fixed), which class is has the best kill ratio in PvP (for class balancing), and so forth.

Blogging here a little bit: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/loghorizon01
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

IMO, these days forums are full of fanbois and trolls. Only the bugs feedback should be taken seriously. I think it would be better for devs to use in-game stats forums can be heard.

What I mean by in game stats is stuff like, how many players completed the newest dungeon (to see if their update is popular and not too hard), the percentage of players who have lower tier equips compared to their level (to see if drops need to be fixed), which class is has the best kill ratio in PvP (for class balancing), and so forth.

How many players do content has more to do with how good players think the loot is than how fun the content is.  It's important feedback, yes, but it should never be used to say, "this dungeon is good because lots of people play it".
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Developers should take feedback from as many sources as possible, including:
    • Forums
    • Developers themselves
    • Friends and Family
    • In game metrics
    • Customer emails
    • Exit surveys
    • Professional Reviews

All of these sources of feedback should be used to highlight issues - and thats it. 

As always, data should be the final word, combined with the lead designer / creative directors vision for the game. So, if the forum community are complaining about an OP class, for example, then it is up to the developers to take those complaints, investigate it objectively and find the data. If the class is OP, then it is up to the lead designer to decide whether that is intentional and he wants to keep it, or unintentional and he wants to balance. 

Forum users are, in general, at the hardcore end of the player spectrum, so forum feedback needs to be weighted accordingly. For example, when I played SW:TOR I thought the combat was very shallow and ridiculously easy. If they balanced according to forum feedback, the game would have been made harder so I'd have been happy, but the average player wouldn't have enjoyed the change so it would have had a negative effect overall. 

But yeh, data is the key. If forum dwellers provide data (combat logs, algorithms, example rotations etc) then that is much better than just providing opinions. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Well, they should never listen to their fanboys. The moment, you, as a business begin to listen to your cheerleaders is the moment you start sucking. Part of your job is to listen to all criticism and negative feedback and assess its validity and what is / isn't in line with what you're trying to accomplish.

George Lucas is a prime example of someone who completely shut out any and all negativity. It's an extreme example, but because he surrounded himself with yes-men, it enabled him to make pure garbage.

This isn't to say all negative feedback is valuable, much of it will be useless, but that's for you to determine. If you can't tell what's valuable or not, then you likely don't understand your own product. You build towards your vision and use criticism to strengthen your vision in building said product.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited February 2016
    the problem with data via forums is that 

A) players can and will have agendas of their own

B)developers are constrained by deadlines, money, and development time. making knee jerk changes based solely on forum opinions while ignoring critical parts to the development process..... sets a bad precedence.

for the most part i think developers should stick to their own devices using  in house data as much as possible. but they should also take into consideration forum information when the users of said forums provide  hard data to back up any claims they are making. 

general opinions  on forums should really only be used to try and make SMALL quality of life changes. things like making certain items stackable in inventories, lower and raising cast times/cds/price of fast travel, prioritizing fixing of especially annoying bugs,  etc.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Listen - yes
    Discuss - yes
    Consider - yes
    Do what all the posters say - no

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests