Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your Worst Ingame Purchase?

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My problem with F2P is basically you don't know how much I am getting or how much I need to spend to get what I want.  You also dont the value vs. time.  When I start to feel like I am going to need a calculator to play a game I am out.  Not to mention non competitive P2W angles or expiring purchases or things not available in game to be sent to the cash shop or inconveniences and grinds thst push you to shops.

Give me a subscription so I can log on and just play.  No cash shop specials splashed all over, need for spreadsheets to track my spending or someone out performing me because they can blow thousands a month. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    DMKano said:
    Dahkoht said:
    ArcheAge anything. 

Of course I got every penny back including original 150 as my CC company agreed with me on "product didn't meet expectations" selection I chose for the chargeback.

This works with any online game - players have been abusing this option "didn't meet expectations" for years to play games for free and stick online companies with charge back fees. 

CC companies don't really need any proof and will give you your money back. 

I could have and perhaps sbould have done this for both AA and ESO but since the reason was they didn't meet my (unrealistic?) expectations it seemed wrong to do so.

My parent's fault for raising me to be honest, especially with myself. 

I am Phenomenal

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    None ...

But can i count the $100+ i made off the D3 RMAH, before it shut down, worse in-game purchase for someone else?
    edited February 2016
    Dahkoht said:
    Dahkoht said:
    ArcheAge anything. 

Of course I got every penny back including original 150 as my CC company agreed with me on "product didn't meet expectations" selection I chose for the chargeback.

This works with any online game - players have been abusing this option "didn't meet expectations" for years to play games for free and stick online companies with charge back fees. 

Yes , but that was the one chargeback ( out of say 10 total in 20 years or so ) that the rep immediately refunded with zero wait time , no investigation nor response from the company needed nor allowed , because Trion was "flagged" with them .

Why might that have been , what could possibly have caused Trion to be "flagged" with major CC company during the timeframe of a month post AA launch ?

I can't imagine.

I did chuckle at it though , and enjoyed Trion getting hit with three chargeback fees alone from me for AA.

Of course I've spent many thousands over the years in other mmos and not had cause for charge backs on them.

Personally , I'm glad Steam allows refunds now , a s CC companies side with their good customers , because finally software companies can't peddle pure shit and not have repurcussions.

And I abused nothing , my CC says I can do a chargeback if I find the product doesn't meet my expectations , so why shouldn't I have ? It was true that neither AA at launch nor Trions management of it did.

But the best , the BEST , part of doing it in the case of AA were forum warriors telling me and others that we "couldn't do a chargeback because if we did we did we would ruin our credit".

I could charge a small house on the CC that I did the one for AA on , but yes , yes they definitely were upset with me for doing the few hundred total chargeback.
    Just so you know the CC companies do track chargebacks that you do and keep a list of known abusers of the process.

Do it too often and you will be denied in the future. Banks are lenient, but not stupid.

Got this info out of the Mastercard Chargeback process manual someone had in the office.

I am Phenomenal

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I asked this question a mate of mine and he replied "my wife!". They had met in WoW. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    edited February 2016
    Kyleran said:
    Dahkoht said:
    Dahkoht said:
    ArcheAge anything. 

Yes , but that was the one chargeback ( out of say 10 total in 20 years or so ) that the rep immediately refunded with zero wait time , no investigation nor response from the company needed nor allowed , because Trion was "flagged" with them .

Why might that have been , what could possibly have caused Trion to be "flagged" with major CC company during the timeframe of a month post AA launch ?

I can't imagine.

I did chuckle at it though , and enjoyed Trion getting hit with three chargeback fees alone from me for AA.

Of course I've spent many thousands over the years in other mmos and not had cause for charge backs on them.

Personally , I'm glad Steam allows refunds now , a s CC companies side with their good customers , because finally software companies can't peddle pure shit and not have repurcussions.

And I abused nothing , my CC says I can do a chargeback if I find the product doesn't meet my expectations , so why shouldn't I have ? It was true that neither AA at launch nor Trions management of it did.

But the best , the BEST , part of doing it in the case of AA were forum warriors telling me and others that we "couldn't do a chargeback because if we did we did we would ruin our credit".

I could charge a small house on the CC that I did the one for AA on , but yes , yes they definitely were upset with me for doing the few hundred total chargeback.
    Just so you know the CC companies do track chargebacks that you do and keep a list of known abusers of the process.

Do it too often and you will be denied in the future. Banks are lenient, but not stupid.

Got this info out of the Mastercard Chargeback process manual someone had in the office.

I am Phenomenal

I charge around 250 -500k a year between my cards and pay them off monthly.

Do you really , really ,think any one of my CC companies cares a whit about my doing a chargeback for a few hundred dollars at any point in time ? 

My CC points alone  pay for Disney vacations for the family every few years , 
    I'm not some 20 year old with a 500 dollar credit card limit who tries 20 chargebacks a month. That's when the CC company cuts you off , but they don't give a flying F about Trion when its actually a good customer. 

Sorry , but it's also completely honest to do chargeback when the category specifically says "product or service not as expected" and that's my opinion on Trion and AA.

I didn't "abuse" the process , I did what its intended for , got a few hundred back an cost Trion 25 bucks a pop for each charge , and helped keep them on the "flagged" list I'm sure.

Trion got themselves in CC trouble as a merchant because of their lack of customer support and other issues , not my problem. They got listed as problematic because of the number of customers doing chargebacks in a short time on them , there was a reason for that.

Again , there were idiots specifically saying "you won't be able to get a mortgage"  because you do a chargeback for an online game.

I love the financial experts who moonlight as white knights on the official forums for games who tell someone things like that . 

(not referring to you )
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Buying cosmetics from an subscription based mmo, the moment I stopped paying the sub I lost access to all the items I bought.
    Dahkoht said:
    Kyleran said:
    Dahkoht said:
    Dahkoht said:
    ArcheAge anything. 

I can't imagine.

I am Phenomenal

I charge around 250 -500k a year between my cards and pay them off monthly.

Do you really , really ,think any one of my CC companies cares a whit about my doing a chargeback for a few hundred dollars at any point in time ? 

My CC points alone  pay for Disney vacations for the family every few years , 
    I'm not some 20 year old with a 500 dollar credit card limit who tries 20 chargebacks a month. That's when the CC company cuts you off , but they don't give a flying F about Trion when its actually a good customer. 

Sorry , but it's also completely honest to do chargeback when the category specifically says "product or service not as expected" and that's my opinion on Trion and AA.

I didn't "abuse" the process , I did what its intended for , got a few hundred back an cost Trion 25 bucks a pop for each charge , and helped keep them on the "flagged" list I'm sure.

Trion got themselves in CC trouble as a merchant because of their lack of customer support and other issues , not my problem. They got listed as problematic because of the number of customers doing chargebacks in a short time on them , there was a reason for that.

Again , there were idiots specifically saying "you won't be able to get a mortgage"  because you do a chargeback for an online game.

I love the financial experts who moonlight as white knights on the official forums for games who tell someone things like that . 

(not referring to you )
    I wasn't implying you were anywhere near the limit, in fact there was no specific amount listed, I suspect its appplication is highly situational.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Oh agreed and I wasn't directing that about you posting its not allowed.

I suspect some use it as a tool frequently , and that will get you in trouble with the CC company , but that's the exception.

I was referring to ones who blanketly start screaming silly things like you won't get a mortgage if you chargeback your ArcheAge purchase 

( and amusingly there were multiple people on the AA forum at the time echoing that exact statement and agreeing )
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    I hardly buy anything but mounts if that is a most to ride around

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    edited February 2016
    Only game I bought in-game items from is Street Gears. I bought a few costumes, they were 5 euro, and I bought 3 I believe. It was my way of supporting the developers, since I really liked the game, I didn't use the costumes. I just felt I needed to buy something to support the developers since the game was F2P and really nicely done.  Other than that I haven't bought in-game items, I am rather conservative with my money, the future seem unpredictable, I want to save money where I can. I prefer to just sub to a single P2P game and play that, I can handle $15 / month just fine, I just don't want to buy items in cash shops.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Odd to read so much "wrong" ingame purchases here, one of the main hubs of anti-f2p and anti-cash shop :lol: I'm not saying everyone should go full-blown http://www.theconsciousconsumer.org/ , but seriously, what's so hard in just buying stuff you really need?

Personally I don't have any misplaced purchases, I think... My "worst" qualified ingame purchase is maybe buying LL for my mule in LotRO after the f2p switch, but that was more like a scam (I wanted to unlock it, along with the rest of Eriador, and it was also on sale - who'd knew Turbine put it on sale for a quick cashgrab, then 2 days later they announce "oh, btw with the next Update LL will be free to everyone"... shady move.). Still not a "bad" purchase per se, since I had a lowbie character near level 20 anyways and had the time to play that weekend.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I faction swapped my WoW hunter then never touched it again.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Never spend money on anything in a cash shop...I jsut dont even care to look to be honest....We used to spend too much on p2p games but really we had no choice in MMOs back then.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Spending $150 on Devilian. :(
    Ouch!  If we're going that route, then I spent $120 on Mechwarrior Online for the founder pack. I can feel your pain.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    For me, basically any account service for WoW. Server x-fers for $25? Freaking rip-off. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dye collections in GW2. You can get the same dye for super cheap on the AH. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Purchased skin packs for Star Wars: Force Unleashed. To this day I can't remember why I would have done it but apparently I thought it was a good idea. It wasn't...
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    I have only bought time or account services (such as Premium time in WOT or character slots in other games). 

I have never and will never buy cosmetic items or fluff items. Unless it is functionally useful then I see it as a waste.

I really don't like the Free to play payment method of gaming and would prefer to have free to try out but sub to play games. I hate both the nickle and dime aspects of F2P games as well as the over the top Meta aspect influencing MMORPG's. I want to pay to play the game but what everything my character achieves to be part of the game, not purchased with external money. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have never and will never buy cosmetic items or fluff items. 
    So in real life you shave with a dagger?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited March 2016
    i spent about $150 buying ships and cash on World of warships and burnt out few days after
  • reamdereamde Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The $150 I spent on Founders Pack to Trion's Archeage. It taught me a valuable lesson about never buying into Founders Packs ever again as long as I live.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited March 2016
    I bought a green item for a few gold when I could have gotten a better item cheaper through the auction house.

Cash related but not ingame it has to be buying MoP expansion a year after release on sale, three years after I quit. Quickly I realized that the game just wasn't for me anymore but instead of doing the sensible thing and quitting immediately I ended up wasting my time playing up to the level-cap.

I don't do ingame cash shops.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Everquest 2 has this card game which I imagine is similar to Magic and each deck has loot cards.  The loot you get is random.  I spent around $400 on these cards just to get the loot, I didn't care about the actual card game.  I did end up with some rare mounts but in the end it's just pixels and wasted money.

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    250 for Path of Exile. The game was fun but with the desync issue that plagued them early on I just couldn't stick around. I really thought I would put a lot of time in the game, but that didn't end up being the case. I still have like $210 left on the account.