Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paragon calls it a day and ends raiding

stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    More and more people will continue to quit the raiding scene. Blizz should take note and change their main focus to the rest of the game.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Bring back 10 man mythic and you'll see raiders again.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• NokksonwoodNokksonwood Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited February 2016
    I am a bit out of touch, played WOW since 2004 us beta and I have never heard of them. Considering the numbers WOW currently has, BLIZZ will not care. I quit a few months ago as the game has just become too boring, but I will probably sub again when legion comes out.

The changes in LEGION look pretty good, hopefully they will provide WOW with a much needed boost. I find it curious that changes in the raiding part of WOW have been associated with this guild..no no and definitely not. Any changes made by blizz have been down to multiple sources, no one guild has had a major impact.

The day WOW changes based on what one guild does, is the day WOW goes bottoms up and sinks.
  • Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    I don't "admire" that kind of people, because I don't think anyone deserves admiration for spending insane amounts of time playing video games, but I can respect what they achieved as a gamer myself.
    Top raiding guilds spent much less time raiding than average players. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    More and more people will continue to quit the raiding scene. Blizz should take note and change their main focus to the rest of the game.
    or just focus on other games. It is not like WOW is the only successful game they have. 
    I don't "admire" that kind of people, because I don't think anyone deserves admiration for spending insane amounts of time playing video games, but I can respect what they achieved as a gamer myself.
    I've been there... I know what it involves.
    Overall, what you say is certainly true. But to be world first, you will have to "leave your real life" until the last hardest boss of the hardest raid level is dead. There's no other way. So the top raiding guilds will have "rush" periods during which all of their member's life will be focused on a video game and nothing else.
    Yep but max 2 weeks. My /played in WoW was way lower than my friends and I was among world top 10 since release till the end of WotLK. 
  • pinktailzpinktailz Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Their sponsors decide to stop wasting money, nothing more I guess
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Overall, what you say is certainly true. But to be world first, you will have to "leave your real life" until the last hardest boss of the hardest raid level is dead. There's no other way. So the top raiding guilds will have "rush" periods during which all of their member's life will be focused on a video game and nothing else.
    Yep but max 2 weeks. My /played in WoW was way lower than my friends and I was among world top 10 since release till the end of WotLK. 

Even then who has 2 weeks to no life it, unless you're unemployed, a student, or a professional WoW player which most people are not.

I just don't see the appeal to being world first, it's one thing if I'm being paid to do it, then yes I'd do it, but just to say I'm World first, lol no thx Jeff.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Lazzaro said:

Even then who has 2 weeks to no life it, unless you're unemployed, a student, or a professional WoW player which most people are not.

I just don't see the appeal to being world first, it's one thing if I'm being paid to do it, then yes I'd do it, but just to say I'm World first, lol no thx Jeff.
    The appeal is that you play tough content with really good players that are on the same level, both when it comes to skills and dedication. Compare that to doing the same thing but instead of continuously pushing yourself to become better you have to wait for others to learn. You also have to deal with people that can't show up on time or don't show up at all.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    It's an old game... a very old game... it's hard to find anyone that focused that hasn't played it to death... hence the dwindling numbers.  Doubt even a 10 man structure would have changed anything.
  • colvinjcolvinj Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Out with the old in with the new.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Shaigh said:
    Lazzaro said:

The appeal is that you play tough content with really good players that are on the same level, both when it comes to skills and dedication. Compare that to doing the same thing but instead of continuously pushing yourself to become better you have to wait for others to learn. You also have to deal with people that can't show up on time or don't show up at all.

I fail to see any type of individual skill or personal achievement in raiding.  You are one of 20 or 40 players who is simply spamming abilities making an individual neglible difference on a boss with a huge amount of HP.  And it is often a game mechanic requiring the repetitive use of the a system not unlike hamsters on a treadmill.  It is just a tiresome time consuming waste of time.  There simply is not other way to put it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    grrr

I clicked this actually thinking it was about the game Paragon,stupid me.Last thing i care about is Blizzard gaming,they make more than enough money from very average games,i'm not about to give them anymore than i already have.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Is raiding like an esport now or something? Should we really care if a group stops raiding?
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited February 2016
    Lazzaro said:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited February 2016

Shaigh said:
    Lazzaro said:

There is no skill required. The only thing that is required is for you to be what society deems a "loser." You make a huge time commitment an ignore your real life for set amount of time needed. Skill is not involved and anyone can do. If you hate your family and friends it really isn't all that hard.

So again, if being a loser is appealing then I just don't understand.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Bummer that they have given up raiding but I guess everything comes to a close as some point.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    fodell54 said:

Shaigh said:
    There is no skill required. The only thing that is required is for you to be what society deems a "loser." You make a huge time commitment an ignore your real life for set amount of time needed. Skill is not involved and anyone can do. If you hate your family and friends it really isn't all that hard.

Definition of close minded.
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Alders said:
    fodell54 said:

Shaigh said:

Definition of close minded.
    I wouldn't say a loser, but I bet most people who race to do World first probably don't have any life priorities and the lucky ones who make money doing it off twitch are just that, lucky.  

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Robokapp said:
    Sounds like WoW is Finnished. (TM). 
    too early on a sunday morning for that joke
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    This is probably what they are most famous of...

An epic game for sure, and one of my favorite pc games of all time. My hats of to everyone who does mythic raiding.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    While I am not a fan of raiding and when a raid is known, it is more about learning to jump through the right hoops then anything else, world first is something different though.

Those guilds have to figure out how to beat a raid and do it with great coordination. This is where guides for raids come from. The people that coordinate those attempts will need certain skills. But still, most of those group will be just followers that do what they are told.

Can be a fun achievement for anyone who has the interest and the spare time, but a weird thing to boast about. Many people will just shrug because raiding is of no interest to them.

Alright I'm going to make a post to answer everyone throwing speculations and spreading ignorance towards this! ;)

Usually between 2-4 guilds are competing for a world's first kill. Although I haven't been playing WoW post Arthas kill but I still keep contacts with tons of those people. Many of them became eSports managers, successful streamers, got jobs in Riot, Blizzard, etc. It certainly worked out well for a lot of them. Many also quit the gaming scene and have their job and family going on and occasionally play other MMOs or WoW. Calling them a loser is a bit out there. 

Anyways, those competing for world's first kills usually take a break from their job or whatever they are doing for 1 week, rarely 2 weeks, and play some days up to 16 hours  a day to clear the contents first. 

They are not doing it for the money really, the amount of money sponsors actually pay WoW guilds are like 1/10000000th of a medium LoL or CS:GO team. It's just the crazy spirit of competition. Although the yearly trip to Blizz HQ and BC were nice! Not all got that though. 

Besides early TBC I never went crazy like that myself. But all those years when early content was released I played WoW between 4-8 hours a day for 1 or 2 weeks, then just every Wednesday 3 hours. As I said before always among world's top 10. I was employed (with way too many responsibilities - and no I wasn't in charge of the donuts!) during the WoW phase of my life, and was in a ridiculously serious relationship, I never had to let go of my life or become a no-lifer to clear the content. Neither did anyone else popping the world first kills. 

But, there's some truth to what you guys stated. There were many wanna-be pros playing WoW. Especially when there was a famous guild on 1 server, the 2nd and third guilds on that server acted god awful. Because lots of people chose those servers but of course they couldn't join the top guild so they had to go with these jerks to climb their way up. They raided a lot more (way fucking more) than the top guilds, they were rude to their guild members and had this OMG I'M SO PRETTY attitude going on. Yeah they were totally like how you described them. Many had no life. But we didn't even recruit them in the few guilds I had been, funny thing was whenever one of these people filled an application they wrote "no-lifer" somewhere as a positive thing. 

The important skill about being among the top raiding guild was to recruit and manage +40, after TBC +25 people. Finding people who could move out of the fire in time (inside joke back then) and be cool to socialize with. Yeah we all tried to maximize our efficiency but it wasn't really about that. It was about coordination and mechanics. Every time we cleared a raid with our main toons we could easily do it (with some wipes) with our less geared alts too. No one had a real special skill, no one had inhuman reflexes and no one was a supermodel. Game was easy if you had enough good people to play with, most guilds didn't. 

What did I got out of it? Well I had retired from playing Q3 but I still had my addiction to some sort of a video game generated adrenaline. Got some good kicks out of those fast paced raids. It was fun for a few years. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Been playing WoW off and on for years, strictly as PVE though i did dabble in PVP a few times, but as for raiding, just never got into it, it just wasn't interesting enough to devote that much time to that side of the game, so i never get involved in raiding, don't feel that i missed anything either, and, i am still playing.
    Raiding? not really sure what all the big deal is tbh, as it sounds like a whole lot of pain for very little gain, and i play for fun.
  • R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited February 2016
    Phry said:
    Been playing WoW off and on for years, strictly as PVE though i did dabble in PVP a few times, but as for raiding, just never got into it, it just wasn't interesting enough to devote that much time to that side of the game, so i never get involved in raiding, don't feel that i missed anything either, and, i am still playing.
    Raiding? not really sure what all the big deal is tbh, as it sounds like a whole lot of pain for very little gain, and i play for fun.
    Taking down a more challenging boss youve been working on for a while is a huge rush. Its that 'hell yeah!' moment that makes it. And gear is never out of reach either... the drop rates are quite reasonable. I never understood how people get fun out of grinding faceroll content for days waiting for a 0.1% drop in other games. Thats not an achievement. Thats not satisfaction for me.