Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square Enix working on in game graphics for their upcoming games.DX12.

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
What all those hardware enthusiasts might like is the texture use is 8k textures,that is incredible to say the least.8-12x the total polygon count that DX 11 is capable.

Many say graphics don't matter...lolo,to me they do,i could sit and watch these cinematics for hours rather than play some boring dull game.

If we can combine these graphics with great game play,i think MANY a gamer will once again be happy campers.This stuff is movie quality gameplay/graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Graphics matter, but when you are so focused on graphics that you manage to pull an Order 1886 you know you are in trouble. Gameplay is far more important, but yes graphics do matter.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    SE is always pushing the limits with graphics... sometimes to their own detriment, but goddamn they make some good looking games. 
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    What up coming game there working on? don't seem there ready to jump to DX12 just yet. The Video show a the tech demo more then a game there working on.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    edited February 2016
    Here is the previous tech demo of that girl in action but its a few years older and not sure if it uses DX12.  To me the guys with the Ak-47s are the good guys and her cult are the bad guys.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    1. Game Play
    2. Customization 
    3. Team Content
    4. Story 
    5. Graphics

Thought I would make my list to see where graphics landed and it is important, it made number 5 for me :) guess we all have different needs and wants. 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Torval said:
    I've seen that video before but watched it all again. I really like it. The detail is incredible. You can communicate a lot with that much detail. Detail like this can change how we perceive and experience gameplay. Just that short cinematic makes me want to know more about the story and adventure of that scenario.
    Exactly.
    I thought that scene starting at 1:55 with her on the ground was very powerful.
    This is something we won't perceive in a game with low res textures, voxels or otherwise low quality visuals.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is much more if you look at the other embedded videos of their other games and work.One video even shows how they create effects on the players and shows player rigging/movement vertices,it all adds to bringing our characters to life and just allows a lot more story telling and passion in the game.

I have always felt Square Enix although lacking in some areas of game design put a lot of passion in their games.They always have love emotion heartache,sorrow,happy,sad at every corner of the story.

FFX might not have been a break through in graphics but the story telling is imo the best there ever has been with Yuna and her pilgrimage.The characters all had well...character,i remember them all very well.Point is even now  i see Square through use of special effects and facial emotion are trying to create a feeling of character in these npc's.

Also the fact they are "trying " to use 8k textures is staggering and the poly count is well beyond what i thought we would ever see until after i am dead.Now in fairness there is some really good work being done elsewhere ,like the new DOOM looks amazing.

For me personally,the next evolution is past the characters and creatures, i would like to see some more life brought into the surroundings,the water and homes and structures.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Sorry but if it doesn't support Vulkan I aint buying it. DX12 is great but it doesn't work on Linux.
  • Nayr752Nayr752 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Looks great.
    This is the problem so far making a DX12 game, unless windows 10 get more of a market share other the older windows. I can't see Square Enix doing anything other then still going for the console market still and PC 2nd but I see them working with DX11 for very long time do to lack of unknowned gamers that still not upgraded over to windows 10.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Because SE did so much with that tech demo the first time around in DX11...

Sure it looks pretty, but... it hasn't went anywhere.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Its really just a demo of what they are working on. The 2011 demo had parts of it work into FFXIII, FFXV, FFVII remake, Laura Croft, and other recent SE titles. Things like this are multi-year projects. What you see in this demo won't be seen for 3~4 more years from now.
    The reason why it was DX11 and DX12 has to do with what they are creating, a multi-platform development engine. There are several reasons to create a DX version before an OpenGL version. The first platform to develop for is always the PC since its the easiest to put into a test environment. DX features usually get passed onto the OpenGL in a later version. There is a lot more developer support on DX than OpenGL.
    In the end they will make a DX and OpenGL version depending on what works best for the platform.
    One thing I have noticed over the last 5 years is that Square Enix has been hiring a lot of Programmers specializing in Graphics. More so than any other game company.
    edited February 2016
    This is the problem so far making a DX12 game, unless windows 10 get more of a market share other the older windows. I can't see Square Enix doing anything other then still going for the console market still and PC 2nd but I see them working with DX11 for very long time do to lack of unknowned gamers that still not upgraded over to windows 10.

The Xbox One is a Direct X 12 Device and Windows 10 has a faster adoption rate than Windows 7 did at this stage.
    Still not 100% adoptions, what was it 10% windows 10 installed base windows 7 is still higher then windows 10. Like I said I still see them making DX11 games for very long time until more and more people are on windows 10, in how long DX12 been out there been no news yet I seen that SE is working on a DX12 game just yet.

And yes Xbox One does have DX12 but it can run DX11 games too, but does not mean there not going to do it at some point, when they are more and more people that go over to windows 10.

Found info https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Had to Edit stuff I was abit off on my numbers.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

The Xbox One is a Direct X 12 Device and Windows 10 has a faster adoption rate than Windows 7 did at this stage.
    There is a suggestion though, that Win 10 adoption has plateaud. Which considering Win 10 adoption is still below 12 % and is in fact struggling to compete with Win 8/8.1 and Win XP, in fact more people still use either Win 8.0/8.1 than use Win 10, is not a sign that Win 10 is doing all that well.
    Whether Xb1 is a Dx12 device is really irrelevant, as the PS4 dominates the console market, and it is not a Dx12 device, and as long as Win 10 remains in the doldrums, then Dx12 will suffer.
    The real question is however, what proportion of the market will be using Win 10 by October 2016, if they have failed to make significant gains by that point, where its no longer a free option for Win 7/8 users, then the likelihood of Win 10 ever gaining enough market share to make Dx12 a viable option becomes close to zero, unless 1 or 2 things happen;
    1. They extend the 'free' roll out of Win 10 to Win 7/8 users.
    2. They extend Dx12 to both Win 7/8 users.

Has to be said though, if they can't give Win 10 away for free, then selling it is going to be something of an issue, and the OS does have some fairly serious privacy issues, although whether that is the sole reason for lack of uptake remains to be seen, but chances are, option 1 probably won't help Dx12 in the long run, option 2 however, may be what it takes to save Dx12 from an ignominious future, because it does after all, have a competitor, that isn't platform restricted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Still not 100% adoptions, what was it 31% windows 10 installed base little more then windows 7 then windows 8 both are still higher then windows 10 last I checked. Like I said I still see them making DX11 games for very long time until more and more people are on windows 10, in how long DX12 been out there been no news yet I seen that SE is working on a DX12 game just yet.

And yes Xbox One does have DX12 but it can run DX11 games too, but does not mean there not going to do it at some point when they are more and more people that go over to windows 10.
    No OS is 100% but Windows 10 has proven that it will catch Windows 7 and 8 and sooner than some may think. Direct X 12 will be available in more and more games as Epic has said as well as ID. Direct X 11 games will still be made for some time sure but the market shifting to Direct X 12 will happen regardless. The benefits of using DX12 are much greater than using DX11 for a developer.
    I do want games start using DX12 or Vulkan I see the Benefits as well.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Nanfoodle said:
    1. Game Play
    2. Customization 
    3. Team Content
    4. Story 
    5. Graphics

Thought I would make my list to see where graphics landed and it is important, it made number 5 for me :) guess we all have different needs and wants. 
    I agree it's different for everyone, and for different reasons.  I place gameplay further down on my list.

Story
    Immersion
    Aesthetics
    Graphics
    Gameplay

For me though, the middle three are so closely related that many would consider them the same category.  I have always loved adventure games though, so that might explain my preferences a little.  If I could "remake" the perfect game, it would be King's Quest VI in DX12.  There's a reason the FFVII remake announcement was such a big deal, and it isn't because they're changing gameplay.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    ARK is already using DX12 on the unreal 4 engine it really made a difference from dx11 for me it was 40% i was surprised at the performance increase in shaders and render time overall look much better.

Astro6 said:
    ARK is already using DX12 on the unreal 4 engine it really made a difference from dx11 for me it was 40% i was surprised at the performance increase in shaders and render time overall look much better.

I heard that ARK was going to use DX12 but didn't work out that had to many problem. I did just check to see but as Right now I didn't see a option to use DX12 or not showing thats running off DX12.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I showed the second video to my grandma and she asked if it was a movie, i told her they are not even actors and the look on her face its like '' holy shit and i thought HD tv was cool ''. I guess i'm going to need a new PC in a year or so.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Wizardry said:
    What all those hardware enthusiasts might like is the texture use is 8k textures,that is incredible to say the least.8-12x the total polygon count that DX 11 is capable.

Many say graphics don't matter...lolo,to me they do,i could sit and watch these cinematics for hours rather than play some boring dull game.

If we can combine these graphics with great game play,i think MANY a gamer will once again be happy campers.This stuff is movie quality gameplay/graphics.

This is a shortened video from a larger demo. The machine running that demo was a Beast PC with 4 titan X GPU's if I remember correctly.  Well beyond the realm of affordable hardware of the vast majority of PC gamers.

Still, its very pretty.

"i could sit and watch these cinematics for hours rather than play some boring dull game." that would be literally watching movies.

"If we can combine these graphics with great game play" No one has ever really pulled this off....one or the other is always compromised in some way.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

edited February 2016
    Just to be fair the adoption rate on windows 10 and windows 7 not on the same ball part. When windows 10 is a free upgrade but windows 7 was so not.

If microsoft didn't offer a free upgrade then the adoption rate would be same level as windows 8 and many people like it and other got burned spending that money on it with problem after problem. But this time windows 10 have far less problem then windows 8 it's a good part after being out this long.