Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Medieval Sandbox to Roleplay In

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Medieval Sandbox to Roleplay In

The Black Death is an in-development survival MMO by Syrin Studios that literally came out of nowhere to storm the radar of fascinating upcoming titles. We had the opportunity to speak with the small indie development team from Syrin Studios to find out more about them and one of the more unique titles currently in the making.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    So, not really an MMO. I'm guessing they're going to have people hosting their own servers or something? Otherwise, it would potentially take thousands of servers if they decided to host their own. It's too bad really, since the idea sounds pretty good (at least for now). The whole "stance" thing reminds me a bit of the "rock-paper-scissors" style combat of The Matrix Online (anyone remember that one?), but otherwise this is at least intriguing.
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    this game got realy high potential, sad they dont have backer or probably enough money to go full online and going full mmo with server

dont understand why big team dont fund them a bit either, wow clone numbers 143 got more chance to fail that something like that.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    There's no need to make it a full MMO. 7 Days to Die and ARK do just fine without being MMOs.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    really getting burned out on decades of games being called things like 'death'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

There's no need to make it a full MMO. 7 Days to Die and ARK do just fine without being MMOs.

Thats why I dont play them as they are quasi mmo where your progress can be easily lost so not worth your time.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

SEANMCAD said:

Well, given that the name comes from the historical designation of the period of the world when the plague was running rampant, and given that that exact period and that exact disease are what the game is centered on, the name sorta makes sense, don't you think? O.o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Khebeln said:

Thats why I dont play them as they are quasi mmo where your progress can be easily lost so not worth your time.
    in 7 days your progress gets lost when zombies rip your fort to shreds.

Which is kinda the fun of it.

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Not a fan of games where you lose everything and can't grow attached to your character. That being said, Crowfall seems to be doing something that mixes the excitement of survival games, with creating your character's legacy at the same time.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
    edited February 2016
    JDis25 said:
    Not a fan of games where you lose everything and can't grow attached to your character. That being said, Crowfall seems to be doing something that mixes the excitement of survival games, with creating your character's legacy at the same time.
    yeah I never understood the appeal of working all day and then coming home to a game that (to use 'hardcore' fans words) 'is punishing'.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

SEANMCAD said:

JDis25 said:

yeah I never understood the appeal of working all day and then coming home to a game that (to use 'hardcore' fans words) 'is punishing'.

Kind of why I'm in it for the ability to host my own server and play with friends. It's one thing if I "lose" to game mechanics and its environments and a whole 'nother thing if some ganker just keeps wrecking my stuff 'cause he/she can. :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

JDis25 said:

Kind of why I'm in it for the ability to host my own server and play with friends. It's one thing if I "lose" to game mechanics and its environments and a whole 'nother thing if some ganker just keeps wrecking my stuff 'cause he/she can. :D
    agreed

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yep, having the ability to host your own server is a real plus, nothing worse than someone else playing just to spoil your fun. 
  • Nickhead420Nickhead420 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Do NPCs participate in the economy? Being a merchant and having 99 or less players to sell to sounds extremely unappealing.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    This looks extraordinary! I love the fact that you don't have to engage in combat. I've been looking for a game like this for a very long time.

The only things I don't like are the PvP aspects (please, please, please have PvE servers) and the fact the game is only available through Steam.

I passionately loathe Steam and will never use it, so I guess I'll have to wait a bit before I can try it :(
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

JDis25 said:

Pretty much why I like these games too. I originally had something about that in the first post I made, but it wasn't so nicely worded. Hence me leaving it out. :pleased: 

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

Well, given that the name comes from the "historical designation of the period of the world when the plague was running rampant, and given that that exact period and that exact disease are what the game is centered on", the name sorta makes sense, don't you think? O.o
    Yep. They either had to name it Black Death or what you just said. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    At 100 players cap, lost my interest. What economy you will be able to have with 100 players, you will sell and buy with NPCs ? It doesn't look appealing at all.. Until that point in the interview i was excited for this project. I would like to see a real MMORPG with such profession system and world set up.

I feel that the industry hit a cap and they can't build an open world MMO. So far only Black Desert looks appealing. But again they prefer the "mega(or better tiny)server" thing.
    We will have small servers or huge megaservers. I don't get why they avoid the middle ground..

• AntiocheAntioche Member UncommonPosts: 132
    They would need to lease the Camelot Unchained engine in order to have more than 100 players per server probably. Makes me wonder if Mark Jacobs has considered leasing his engine to make extra revenue to fund CU. The mmorpg genre could really benefit from access to his engine.

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    edited February 2016
    And like all small-scale (less than 100 is not "Massive" so stop calling it an MMO) survival games, this one probably also gets boring after a while and/or becomes a constant deathmatch and ganker heaven. That's not to say it can't be fun for a while. ARK was for sure.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Was pleasantly surprised to find yet another indie mmo title I was interested in, until I saw that the servers will have less than 100 people. Not my kind of game because I don't qualify that as an mmo, best of luck for those who are interested.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited February 2016

loulaki said:

At 100 players cap, lost my interest. What economy you will be able to have with 100 players, you will sell and buy with NPCs ? It doesn't look appealing at all.. Until that point in the interview i was excited for this project. I would like to see a real MMORPG with such profession system and world set up.

I feel that the industry hit a cap and they can't build an open world MMO. So far only Black Desert looks appealing. But again they prefer the "mega(or better tiny)server" thing.

We will have small servers or huge megaservers. I don't get why they avoid the middle ground..

So you should play the new Darkfall iteration called Darkfall: New Dawn, it will have a system like this where you can be a warrior, or a merchant or a crafter and avoid completely pvp also.
    There will be a slot system where you specialize and your titles will become good overtime through futher usage.
    Check it out, DND will be a full open world sandbox mmorpg with thousands of players.
    About this game, i stopped to read at the 100 players server, don't like little maps with limited players, make a mmorpg and we can have a deal otherwise nope.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    I am intrigued.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    I'm wondering how many of the people who commented disinterest because they're only having 100 people per server actually play games that allow more in a truly persistent world? If you're playing ESO, SWTOR, WOW, or any of the other current heavily instanced and phased themeparks, your game has less persistence than this one. Those games don't even have real worlds, or communities outside of your guild, just a series of instances that open and close depending on how many people are accessing that area. Themeparks try so hard to give you the illusion of what this game is actually trying to offer, and they can't even make the illusion work right.
  • HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    This sounds intriguing, maybe even interesting. Is there anywhere I can subscribe/signup for updates? I didn't seen anything on their website? Couldn't locate them on Steam Greenlight or EA either.

Also, when he says "premium price game", I'm entirely unsure what this means. Are we talking about a price upfront and then a monthly fee, or just a monthly fee, or just a price upfront? If that's their server model, then I'm guessing something like ARK and 7DTD, but that's entirely unclear...
  • redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    I'm confused about this game, everywhere i look says that it will be released in april, but on the Greenman gaming site it is available for pre purchase and states in the info about the game on the page," The Early Access program will not only allow the player enjoy the fantastic gameplay experience that is The Black Death, but will also allow the player to make a real difference to how the game progresses." so is it open to play as an alpha now, or do we still have to wait till april??